Thread: 400m Hurdlers

Leer512 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

400m Hurdlers

Hey guys and gals. I didn't see anything on here for 400mIH, so if there is already something, please forgive me :-)

My best time in College for the 400mIH was 53.12, and I while I was in very good shape (enough so to run a 47 split on the 4X4 relay and a 104.32 in the 500 meter dash in indoor track), and my hurdle form was decent, the number of steps I took between hurdles was pretty much the death of me. It seemed like I would run well during the regular season, then when I got to the Big meets (like NCAA regionals), I would try too hard, my steps would be off, and I would pretty much just tank (Not to mention I was racing against guys who ran 47's, 48's and 49's in the 400 meter hurdles, so it let me know just how slow I really was).

Well, that's me, and if I ever get it right, I may give it a go again. But I would need to get back into track and field shape, and definitely work on getting my open 400m time into at least the 45 range (as a gauge) in order to be competetive.

Anybody in a similar situation? Feel free to post your thoughts, suggestions, or simply relate your experience.
    Life is a journey, not a destination. The Journey is ALL that matters!!!

"Healthy eating means getting a variety of foods in moderation-not making any food forbidden..." -Jeff Behar

"The undisturbed mind is like the calm body of water reflecting the brilliance of the moon". - Jubei

flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I tried the 300IH for the first time last week, as a Californian high schooler, and I wish I had tried it sooner. I'm a distance runner, focused on the 800, but I've got good speed so I run our team's 4x400 often (best of 50.6 split).

I ran a 40.7, good enough for second place, but it's different. I definitely think you can get your time down as it is, if you refocus and run a smart race a 51/52 low for the 400IH (in 47 400 shape) wouldn't be out of the question. No such thing as trying too hard, all there is is putting in too much too early - ideally, you want to end up dead tired just as you cross the finish, no sooner or later, so experiment with the pacing (in practice or low-key meets) until you find what works.

But yeah, I'm struggling in the 800.

I've ran the same time, to the tenth, three times since midway through the season, and with sectionals this next week I'm hoping a good taper can get it to drop.

I'm hoping to walk on to my college team next year, so it's pretty important for me to have some good times to show. :/

Originally Posted by flipnch1nese7 View Post
    I tried the 300IH for the first time last week, as a Californian high schooler, and I wish I had tried it sooner. I'm a distance runner, focused on the 800, but I've got good speed so I run our team's 4x400 often (best of 50.6 split).

I ran a 40.7, good enough for second place, but it's different. I definitely think you can get your time down as it is, if you refocus and run a smart race a 51/52 low for the 400IH (in 47 400 shape) wouldn't be out of the question. No such thing as trying too hard, all there is is putting in too much too early - ideally, you want to end up dead tired just as you cross the finish, no sooner or later, so experiment with the pacing (in practice or low-key meets) until you find what works.

But yeah, I'm struggling in the 800.

I've ran the same time, to the tenth, three times since midway through the season, and with sectionals this next week I'm hoping a good taper can get it to drop.

I'm hoping to walk on to my college team next year, so it's pretty important for me to have some good times to show. :/
    Thanks man. That sounds like a good idea. I think if you've split 50.6, then you've got great upside. Hopefully you're entering a great college program because the coaching staff can literally make or break you. But if you can break into the 39's during sectionals, you should be good to go.

I tried the 800m once my sophomore year in college. I went out in like 50. for the first lap, then died... finishing in like 2:08. It was crazy LOL.
    Last edited by Leer512; 04-26-2008 at 04:20 PM.

"Healthy eating means getting a variety of foods in moderation-not making any food forbidden..." -Jeff Behar

"The undisturbed mind is like the calm body of water reflecting the brilliance of the moon". - Jubei

Rsun88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rsun88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rsun88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rsun88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rsun88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rsun88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rsun88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rsun88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rsun88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rsun88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rsun88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Leer512 View Post

I tried the 800m once my sophomore year in college. I went out in like 50. for the first lap, then died... finishing in like 2:08. It was crazy LOL.

lmao

flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    hahaha. yeah dude it's tough, cause if you run a decent first lap you're gonna feel it no matter what the second. We had a girl who ran like that, 62 first lap then a 2:49 finish, it was sick.

I'm actually trying to qualify and get the times down for the 800, not the 300IH, but I'd really love to give it another shot. I've done hurdle drills once or twice a wee through the season, so my form's alright, but last Thursday was my only chance to put it in action... I think I can get into the 39's if I raced it once or twice again.

Thing is, I'll be at UCLA, so my times have got to be KILLER to walk on.

Coach says he'll get me in if I can run a 1:53 by next winter, which is looking pretty unlikely right now haha.

Originally Posted by flipnch1nese7 View Post
    hahaha. yeah dude it's tough, cause if you run a decent first lap you're gonna feel it no matter what the second. We had a girl who ran like that, 62 first lap then a 2:49 finish, it was sick.

I'm actually trying to qualify and get the times down for the 800, not the 300IH, but I'd really love to give it another shot. I've done hurdle drills once or twice a wee through the season, so my form's alright, but last Thursday was my only chance to put it in action... I think I can get into the 39's if I raced it once or twice again.

Thing is, I'll be at UCLA, so my times have got to be KILLER to walk on.

Coach says he'll get me in if I can run a 1:53 by next winter, which is looking pretty unlikely right now haha.
    UCLA... thats tight. If I could go back, I would have tried to get on with a big school like UCLA, USC, Texas, Baylor or LSU.... you get the picture. I hope you get on man. You'll be forced to become a beast no matter what LOL. My guess is, and this is definitely NOT from experience in the 800, that if you can go out in maybe 54 or 55 for the first lap, then come back strong in like 56 or 57 for the second (worst case go out in 55 and come back in 58), then 1:53 is definitely doable. It will hurt like hell though, but since your training is geared toward the 800, you have a shot. Good Luck!!!

Blaze_108 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blaze_108 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blaze_108 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blaze_108 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blaze_108 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blaze_108 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blaze_108 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blaze_108 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blaze_108 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blaze_108 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blaze_108 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I suspect some heavy E-stating here.. I know it's college athletics, but a 47 400 won state for IL HS athletics the other year.
    You say you didn't go to a large college?
    a 46.78 is the WORLD RECORD in 400 hurdles. something tells me that you didn't run with a group of possible olympians..
    It took sixty years for ANY man to run under a 49 on the 400 hurdles.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/400_metre_hurdles

a 43.49 is the WR 400m dash. Including extra time for a handoff, you ran only 3.5 seconds less than that? man, you should be off training for the olympics.

Maybe you can do this..but it's doubtful. just sayin..

Originally Posted by Blaze_108 View Post
    I suspect some heavy E-stating here.. I know it's college athletics, but a 47 400 won state for IL HS athletics the other year.
    a 46.78 is the WORLD RECORD in 400 hurdles. something tells me that you didn't run with a group of possible olympians..

a 43.49 is the WR 400m dash. Including extra time for a handoff, you ran only 3.5 seconds less than that? man, you should be off training for the olympics.

I have no idea what E-stating means, but you are right in that 1) I did not run with a group of olympians, an 2) I definitely went to a small college. Trust me, I wouldn't even consider the Olympics unless I was running a 45. in the open 400m because with the acquisition of a great technician coach for form, at that speed, I would be able to pull off a 47. in the 400mIH because I did compete against guys who did that once I got to the bigger meets.

Not that I would necessarily be able to do that because my body almost fell apart when I ran that 47 split, but hey, we can all dream can't we?!? I'm not kidding myself... I know definitely wasn't on the elite level... when I was in college, there were definitely dudes in high school running times that were blowing mine out of the water. But I believe anyone, with the right diet, training, and coach can achieve great things, and I certainly did not have all of those factors, so I feel that if I did, I may have run even faster. That's just the optimist in me talking.

And I believe Keving Young, the man who ran that 46.78, was the only man to run sub-47 in the 400mIH. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

And what does Michael Johnson's world record of 43.18 (yes, 43.18!, not 43.49) have to do with this? You don't see too many 400m Hurdlers running 43's lol.

And I'm thinking you were being sarcastic about me training for the olympics... me getting into even the 45's might require some additional performance enhancing assistance, but I would be too chicken to put that stuff in my body anyway. I'm not sure if you run, but if you do, then you know how hard it is to get your times down. Thanks for the post though.
    Last edited by Leer512; 04-26-2008 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Left out a little bit...

Rsun88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rsun88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rsun88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rsun88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rsun88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rsun88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rsun88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rsun88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rsun88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rsun88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rsun88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I doubt there are any e-stats on this forum, the times that have been posted aren't that fast...

My boy runs 42.91 in the 400m; I on other hand run a 42.90...

I suspect some heavy E-stating here..
    OK... now that I think I have an idea of what e-stating means... Ban this troll!!!

Originally Posted by Rsun88 View Post
    I doubt there are any e-stats on this forum, the times that have been posted aren't that fast...

LMAO

Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100) Ben76 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Rsun88 View Post

pussy, I ran a 42.91 in the 800m uphill in a blizzard.

ThaCarterIII has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThaCarterIII has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThaCarterIII has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThaCarterIII has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThaCarterIII has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThaCarterIII has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThaCarterIII has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThaCarterIII has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThaCarterIII has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThaCarterIII has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    leer512, your avi looks MAD homo (no homo)

Thumbs down

Not that I really needed to revive this thread, but this is a classic example of someone trying to comment on (or become a part) something in which they have no idea what they are talking about. The wikipedia quote at the end is the icing on the cake, I guess :-/ My point is, and this should extend to the bodybuidling forums as well, that people are questioning other people's accomplishments, or even giving advice on things when they have no idea what they are talking about.

Advice: If you don't know anything about a topic, then don't post. That is either trolling or padding your thread count.

If you have something positive to contribute to this thread and actually know something about the topic, then post.