Thread: Tanning

Sassy31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sassy31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sassy31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sassy31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sassy31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sassy31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sassy31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sassy31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sassy31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sassy31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sassy31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Tanning

Nowadays with tanning being so terrible for your skin and with skin cancer on the rise how do people in the fitness industry always look so nice and tanned all year long, are they seriously going to tanning booths? I would like to have the same golden glow but without the harmful effects of the sun. any thoughts?

eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I use Mystic Tan. I'm naturally very pale but the Mystic Tan color looks good and natural. It's worth trying out although I know some people have had less positive experiences.

$35 for two sessions (I go every 5 days) but I'd rather pay a bit more and avoid skin cancer.

Just exfoliate beforehand and apply lotion to your skin.

And when you come out of the Mystic Tan booth wipe the excess crap off your skin thoroughly, don't just blot yourself dry or you'll end up streaky.

Also I apply liberal amounts of barrier cream to my nails and in my bellybutton, it took me a few tans to get the hang of it. I ended up with a dirty looking bellybutton and nails the first time. :P

SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Moderation is key...I don't believe in artificial tanning (tanning beds and/or fake tanner)... I make sure I get 10 mins in the sun every day and it keeps me tanned.

But if you notice in my progress pics I tan quick.
    Last edited by SexyChic; 04-23-2008 at 06:54 PM.
    ΛΣΣ Squat Booty Society~

pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I tan (tanning bed) a month or so in the spring. Never over 10 minutes though and only a few days a week. I supplement that with self tanner and also use it year round. I've found that I really like the Jergens brand. It doesn't have such a horrid smell and doesn't stain my hands. You can also mix it half/half with some nice smelling body lotion if the smell still bothers you.

newgene has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) newgene has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) newgene has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) newgene has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) newgene has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) newgene has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) newgene has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) newgene has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) newgene has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) newgene has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) newgene has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by SexyChic View Post
    Moderation is key...I don't believe in artificial tanning (tanning beds and/or fake tanner)... I make sure I get 10 mins in the sun every day and it keeps me tanned.
    I'm not sure if tanning every day is really considered moderation, but I know what you are getting at. I do believe moderation is key, but I really don't see a difference between the sun's UV rays and a tanning bed. Both deliver UV rays, and UV are linked to skin cancer. HOWEVER, skin type, time of exposure, years of tanning, etc. have a larger impact than exactly where the UV rays came from.

Keep in mine, if you talk to any representative of the american cancer society or a dermatologist, either one is going to recommend against direct exposure or long exposure to either one. I think both the sun and tanning beds pose very similar risks, but the magnitude of that risk is really hard to say. And, nobody really knows for sure. However, I do absolutely agree that moderation is a very smart way to approach whichever way you decide to.

I also am not a big fan of smearing chemicals on my body to tan either.

SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000)
    My moisturizer has sunscreen in it and I wear it while I'm out. And by every day this is what I mean...

I go to school and my campus is huge. I have to walk a great deal between classes and I can't really avoid the sun (there are hardly any shaded areas or covered walkways). That is my 10 minutes in the sun

It is not like I lay out baking myself on purpose with no sunscreen or something.
    ΛΣΣ Squat Booty Society~

newgene has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) newgene has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) newgene has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) newgene has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) newgene has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) newgene has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) newgene has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) newgene has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) newgene has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) newgene has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) newgene has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by SexyChic View Post
    My moisturizer has sunscreen in it and I wear it while I'm out. And by every day this is what I mean...

I go to school and my campus is huge. I have to walk a great deal between classes and I can't really avoid the sun (there are hardly any shaded areas or covered walkways). That is my 10 minutes in the sun

It is not like I lay out baking myself on purpose with no sunscreen or something.
    I hear ya. That makes sense. Using sunscreen in my mind mitigates nearly any concern of getting harmful effects of tanning...especially at ony 10 minutes.

eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There are also plenty of daily body lotions with a gradual tanning effect. I use one by Dove every day when I get out of the shower to supplement my spray tan and I think it's largely responsible for my spray tans looking so natural, as it provides a continuous base.

Takes like 5 minutes to apply, so it's not only healthier than fake n' baking but it's arguably faster than driving to the salon and laying in the beds or laying outside.

blazay is not very helpful. (-500) blazay is not very helpful. (-500) blazay is not very helpful. (-500) blazay is not very helpful. (-500) blazay is not very helpful. (-500) blazay is not very helpful. (-500) blazay is not very helpful. (-500) blazay is not very helpful. (-500) blazay is not very helpful. (-500) blazay is not very helpful. (-500) blazay is not very helpful. (-500)
    i think im gifted because of my natural color, but i tan once every 2 weeks

Slap yo favorite booty! missmarina's Avatar
    missmarina will become famous soon enough. (+50) missmarina will become famous soon enough. (+50) missmarina will become famous soon enough. (+50) missmarina will become famous soon enough. (+50) missmarina will become famous soon enough. (+50) missmarina will become famous soon enough. (+50) missmarina will become famous soon enough. (+50) missmarina will become famous soon enough. (+50) missmarina will become famous soon enough. (+50) missmarina will become famous soon enough. (+50) missmarina will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just self tan only...But i dont think u said ur skin tone(unless i missed it, sorry) I am very pale and I burn extremenly easy so I avoid the sun at ALL costs. I just use L'oreal self tanner. Mystic made me orange.
    *Phillies*

"That's CRAZY!"~ Tracy Morgan

kberkel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kberkel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kberkel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kberkel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kberkel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kberkel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Sassy31 View Post
    how do people in the fitness industry always look so nice and tanned all year long, are they seriously going to tanning booths?
    Probably. I found out a friend of mine tanned during winter.. i started and got tons of compliments and people were in shock that I actually tanned. Now my roommate, a couple other friends, brother, and dad all tan in booths. More and more guys starting to tan.

Most uv damage is done when you're a kid. Tanning isn't nearly as bad if you take precautions to prevent burning.

Weird but
    Last edited by kberkel; 04-24-2008 at 08:38 PM.

blazay is not very helpful. (-500) blazay is not very helpful. (-500) blazay is not very helpful. (-500) blazay is not very helpful. (-500) blazay is not very helpful. (-500) blazay is not very helpful. (-500) blazay is not very helpful. (-500) blazay is not very helpful. (-500) blazay is not very helpful. (-500) blazay is not very helpful. (-500) blazay is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by kberkel View Post
    Probably. I found out a friend of mine tanned during winter.. i started and got tons of compliments and people were in shock that I actually tanned. Now my roommate, a couple other friends, brother, and dad all tan in booths. More and more guys starting to tan.

Most uv damage is done when you're a kid. Tanning isn't nearly as bad if you take precautions to prevent burning.

Weird but
    alot of men who take care of their body tan, i go to a place near the worlds in rockaway, and ill always see a big dude comin out or comin in

metallica89 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    ive heard good things about apple cider vinegar

HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Tanning is ok, as long as you know what you are doing, most people dont. Spending over 20min in a tanning salon almost everyday, and then they wonder why they get cancer.

I have my own tanning lamp, Its only meant to be used for 2 weeks then you stop for a few months. The tanning sessions go from only 0.5 min to max 5 min thats its. Once you have reached the max tan for your skin type you stop, and you dont tan anymore. continue to do you know the results.
    "In AUSTRALIA
    Each year there are 470 000 adverse events, 18 000 deaths, and 50 000 permanent disabilities arising from medical error and negligence each year. This is four times higher compared to the USA." (Second oppinion, GERMOV quote, page 293)

353 fatal car crashes were recorded on Australian roads in 2008 (RTA, 2008). You are 50 TIMES more likely to die from medical negligence from a DOCTOR compared to being fatally injured in a car crash and they say driving is dangerous.