16_39 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 16_39 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 16_39 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Muscle's locking up?

I'm am a full time cyclist and therefore don't do weight training all that often.

My problem is that for the last year or so when ever I try and do squats I get incredibly strong cramps/muscles locking up in my quads and hamstrings which are so bad that I am unable to move until them ease off which can take 30 mins or more.... I do not get any issues whilst cycling although it might be affecting it in some way that I am not aware of.

Any help would be really appreciated as I'm up the creek at the moment.

16_39 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 16_39 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 16_39 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Has anyone every heard of anything similar? It may be due to a deficiency in something, I might try creatine unless anyone thinks this may be useless?

Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Cramps are typically caused by a magnesium defficiency. But don't supplement with Mg oxide; opt for Mg citrate, aspartate, or malate.

Best,
    Dr Clay Hyght, DC, CSCS, CISSN
    www.DrClay.com

www.Labrada.com

Labrada Nutrition: "The Most Trusted Name in Sports Nutrition!"

The above is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be used as medical advice. Always consult your doctor prior to beginning any new diet, supplementation, or exercise program.

Thank you for taking the time to reply I really appreciate it. I will give this a go and let you know how I get on.

Mike

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The cramps come on during the exercise??
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

CALCULATED DRIVEN MACHINE trueathlete's Avatar
    trueathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trueathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trueathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trueathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trueathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trueathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trueathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trueathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trueathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trueathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trueathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by 16_39 View Post
    I'm am a full time cyclist and therefore don't do weight training all that often.

My problem is that for the last year or so when ever I try and do squats I get incredibly strong cramps/muscles locking up in my quads and hamstrings which are so bad that I am unable to move until them ease off which can take 30 mins or more.... I do not get any issues whilst cycling although it might be affecting it in some way that I am not aware of.

Any help would be really appreciated as I'm up the creek at the moment.
    Make sure your electrolyte intake is high. Not Gatorade, but something without the sugars. Try RW Knudsen Recharge it is a good electrolyte drink. I usually consumed 2 a day as well as 1 gallon of water. Also stay away from sugars they will lock you up.
    "I am a Driven, Self motivated Calculated Machine"

MusclePharm CEO
    www.musclepharm.com
    Stock Symbol: MSLP

The cramps are coming on toward the end of the first warm up set, they come on like a normal cramp and then lock up so hard its ridiculous. After this all I can do it sit down until they have freed up a bit which usually takes 10min but it usually takes half a day until they are 'free' again anything before this and it feels like I've got torn muscles.

Thanks for the advice I will get on to it today and let you all know how I've go on. Thank you

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Unlikely to be metabolic..any issues with your back??
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

No not that I'm aware of, as far as I know I have no back problems. I am used to training 20+ hrs on the bike a week and do not get back pain. I used to get some lower back pain a few years ago and I no longer do. I have strengthened my lower back to fix these issues and as far as I know it has worked.

What else do you think it could be? Do you think its more likely to be bio mechanic than a nutrient imbalance?

If you can do 20 hours on a bike, unlikely to be a metabolic deficiency. Unless you do squats after a long ride.

Could be a back issue still, as back problems and nerve irritations cause cramping that lasts for a while.
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

Ok that sounds feasible, How would you suggest I fixed that? At the moment I am off the bike with an ankle injury hence why I am doing some gym work. I currently do 2hrs of Yoga each morning and then gym work so anything you can suggest will be done even if it takes a while.

Thank you once again!

What sort of back problems did you have before?
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

It was on the left of my lower back about 4" above my hip but next to my spine. It would happen during training and racing. In training in would start after 1hr of riding and last for about 20minutes, and it was very regular and nearly always after those precise amounts of time. During racing if I had go into a break away and had to work very hard for lets say 1.30hrs then after finishing my lower back would be in a huge spasm and wouldn't loosen off for about 20 minutes or until it had a good massage.

I have done quite a bit of work on a Roman chair to try and fix this problem and I think it has worked as it hasn't come back in about 4-5 months even after some very hard rides.

Do you think that the problem is still there only not enough to bring on the spasms

Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000) Bioteknik is just really nice. (+1000)
    an article I read in M&F mentioned that Cl- is the electrolyte most associated with muscle cramps, with all that bike riding and sweating do you have much salt in your diet?

I'm pretty wary of keeping my electrolytes up so i always go through a couple of liters of it on rides but I do not supplement it off the bike or at the moment when I am injured. I don't know how much is in my diet but I probably don't have enough as I avoid un healthy food which would have salt and don't add it back in, if that makes sense. Should I be drinking electrolytes during the day?

Probably stil have a back problem associated with stiffness, and maybe some nerve inflexibility.
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

I think that my IT bands may be tight as well which could cause my quads and hamstrings to lock up, maybe... I will try all of the above and get back to you guys.