sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Stomach issues - Intolerance to whey?!?

I'll try and keep this short:

-I was on a high protein, moderate fat cutting diet, so I drank a lot of protein shakes, ate fatty meat like salmon, and ate nuts and green vegetables. Did this diet for 5-6 weeks, and did similiar food with more carbs the two weeks previous.

-Ate some bad salmon and got pretty sick (nothing serious, just throwing up and bad stomach cramps for a few hours).

-I switched to carbs the day after I was sick and ate things like chicken noodle soup, so I made the mistake of abruptly changing my diet.

-Since then I've had a pretty weak stomach, and although my digestion and bowel movements are normal, I get a burning sensation, and pain whenever I eat certain things. It turns out that protein shakes (in milk or water) are the worst culprits. (Everything else, at worst, causes a mild response at worst).

-Fatty/heavy food like pizza has no ill effects whatsover, but healthy things like plain oatmeal lead to a slight burning feeling (like too much stomach acid).

-Milk is not the issue if you're wondering that. I take milk in my cereal, and have chocolate milk at work sometimes (I know, I know, but it's free and delicious )

I have no idea why protein shakes are screwing with my stomach so much, and I'm concerned. I'm going to lay off them for 3-4 days and then slowly start drinking them (start with a really low dose, like a TBSP in a large glass of water). As my stomach has been getting better I am refraining from going to the doctors again, but if I can't eat protein powder in another week or so I'll go back. He suspected an ulcer, but the symptoms don't line up (I went early on and didn't know as much about it as I know now).

Any ideas, I'm rather worried about this...

Thanks
    'You don't make friends with salad'

NvrGivUp097 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NvrGivUp097 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NvrGivUp097 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NvrGivUp097 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NvrGivUp097 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NvrGivUp097 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NvrGivUp097 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NvrGivUp097 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NvrGivUp097 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NvrGivUp097 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NvrGivUp097 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face

go to a doctor or an allergist to see if you can get tested. Maybe go to a stomach doctor.
    If you don't care about your health, you might as well be dead!

KTHNXBYE is just really nice. (+1000) KTHNXBYE is just really nice. (+1000) KTHNXBYE is just really nice. (+1000) KTHNXBYE is just really nice. (+1000) KTHNXBYE is just really nice. (+1000) KTHNXBYE is just really nice. (+1000) KTHNXBYE is just really nice. (+1000) KTHNXBYE is just really nice. (+1000) KTHNXBYE is just really nice. (+1000) KTHNXBYE is just really nice. (+1000) KTHNXBYE is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by sbmarti2 View Post
    I'll try and keep this short:

-I was on a high protein, moderate fat cutting diet, so I drank a lot of protein shakes, ate fatty meat like salmon, and ate nuts and green vegetables. Did this diet for 5-6 weeks, and did similiar food with more carbs the two weeks previous.

-Ate some bad salmon and got pretty sick (nothing serious, just throwing up and bad stomach cramps for a few hours).

-I switched to carbs the day after I was sick and ate things like chicken noodle soup, so I made the mistake of abruptly changing my diet.

-Since then I've had a pretty weak stomach, and although my digestion and bowel movements are normal, I get a burning sensation, and pain whenever I eat certain things. It turns out that protein shakes (in milk or water) are the worst culprits. (Everything else, at worst, causes a mild response at worst).

-Fatty/heavy food like pizza has no ill effects whatsover, but healthy things like plain oatmeal lead to a slight burning feeling (like too much stomach acid).

-Milk is not the issue if you're wondering that. I take milk in my cereal, and have chocolate milk at work sometimes (I know, I know, but it's free and delicious )

I have no idea why protein shakes are screwing with my stomach so much, and I'm concerned. I'm going to lay off them for 3-4 days and then slowly start drinking them (start with a really low dose, like a TBSP in a large glass of water). As my stomach has been getting better I am refraining from going to the doctors again, but if I can't eat protein powder in another week or so I'll go back. He suspected an ulcer, but the symptoms don't line up (I went early on and didn't know as much about it as I know now).

Any ideas, I'm rather worried about this...

Thanks
    how is it not serious for a few hours of stomach discomfort and vomiting. maybe i'm just a pansy, but that needs to be checked out.

try egg or soy protein.
    I'm in for the rep trade... Jus' sayin'.

sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by KTHNXBYE View Post
    how is it not serious for a few hours of stomach discomfort and vomiting. maybe i'm just a pansy, but that needs to be checked out.

try egg or soy protein.
    Well it was serious, and I went to the doctors, but I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't sick like that for 2-3 days rather than 2-3 hours).

I went to the doctor and he said it may be an ulcer. It's not, I can tell that now, so I'm going to eat normal healthy food for a week and see if it fixes it. If not, I'm going to a doctor again and I'll get some tests done.

I was just hoping that this has happened to someone before at some point. I hope it is just temporary... I just ordered 15 pounds of protein from BB.com!

Not to mention the much more serious issue of my overall health and well being
    'You don't make friends with salad'

Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000)
    I am in the same boat as you, bulking and constipated and stomachache, laxitives just make things worse by giving me horrible cramps that keep me from doing what I want to do and eating what I want to eat.
    KARMA; reps for life:
    matthor-derickonfire-ozfiz-xquick-meyer23-AllGenetix, Beast, Scivation, Lando33
    girl81-2 D-spot skater-djaeger3-in10city-Emma-Leigh-bballbrett5, jaim91, imfusio
    Not on the list? Don't worry! There's still plenty of chances to achieve good karma.