Dahon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

After leg day workout, my legs get sore too much.

After my leg day workout, my legs get sore too much. I've been squatting 4 sets, 3 set leg press, 3 set lying squat machine, 3 set leg curl, 3 set leg extensions, 6 set calf exercises. Mainly the soreness comes from using the squat machine. It's not that I'm squatting heavy weights. I think my legs aren't used to it. My quads needs 2-3 days to recover. However, this prevents me from doing cardio 2 days afterwards. The day after my leg day is my rest day. I'm not sure what to do? Should I just skip cardio? Cut down on squats, a little? Basically, the soreness prevents me from running.
    Last edited by Dahon; 04-21-2008 at 06:23 PM.

BULKMONSTER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BULKMONSTER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BULKMONSTER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BULKMONSTER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BULKMONSTER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BULKMONSTER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BULKMONSTER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BULKMONSTER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BULKMONSTER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BULKMONSTER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BULKMONSTER is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hey Dahon,
    Your doing too much volume. Squatting, leg press, and squat machine are very similiar. Just stick with regular squats, the king of all exercises. Stretch after your done. Cardio on your off days is fine. A fast paced walk is fine, but I wouldn't recommend running.

BULKMONSTER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BULKMONSTER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BULKMONSTER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BULKMONSTER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BULKMONSTER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BULKMONSTER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BULKMONSTER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BULKMONSTER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BULKMONSTER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BULKMONSTER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BULKMONSTER is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Also, your postworkout nutrition is crucial. High protein+carbs soon after your done.

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Dahon View Post
    After my leg day workout, my legs get sore too much. I've been squatting 4 sets, 3 set leg press, 3 set lying squat machine, 3 set leg curl, 3 set leg press, 6 set calf exercises. Mainly the soreness comes from using the squat machine. It's not that I'm squatting heavy weights. I think my legs aren't used to it. My quads needs 2-3 days to recover. However, this prevents me from doing cardio 2 days afterwards. The day after my leg day is my rest day. I'm not sure what to do? Should I just skip cardio? Cut down on squats, a little? Basically, the soreness prevents me from running.
    You may need to reassess your training volume/intensity vs. frequency - depending on how many days are between successive bouts, you may be ending up "too recovered" OR the volume and intensity is too high overall keeping you from recovering properly ... I've found that working a muscle group 2x per week has done more for keeping DOMs managable than anything.

Also helpful are proper static extreme stretching after workouts and dynamic stretching before workouts.

First and foremost, make sure you have a sound diet and a solid pre & post workout nutrition plan, including proper hydration, carbs, BCAAs/EAAs, Vinegar, & Carnitine.

Try a foam roller too.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

I've read somewhere that you have to hit your quads hard and with alot of sets to stimulate them? Is this not true? I train a body part once each week.

Stimulate them through intensity, not through volume. There are some training programs where you do 1 all out set of squats. Read up on the "Super Squats" program.

Thumbs up

Okay, I guess I will try reducing the other squat sets. Thanks for your help!!!