Thread: Weighted chins

Unsterblich will become famous soon enough. (+50) Unsterblich will become famous soon enough. (+50) Unsterblich will become famous soon enough. (+50) Unsterblich will become famous soon enough. (+50) Unsterblich will become famous soon enough. (+50) Unsterblich will become famous soon enough. (+50) Unsterblich will become famous soon enough. (+50) Unsterblich will become famous soon enough. (+50) Unsterblich will become famous soon enough. (+50) Unsterblich will become famous soon enough. (+50) Unsterblich will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Weighted chins

So, here is my problem, so to speak. I'd like to gain quickly on my weighted chins within the next month, and have a fair amount of experience in strength training and powerlifting in general. But I'm sure there are some people out there more knowledgeable than myself on the subject. As of right now, I'm 5'9, 155, doing chins with 45'sx6(last Tuesday). I'm trying to get up to using the 100 lb. plate for a 1RM by June 1st, is this possible? If so, someone please give me a little advice on my training regimen, my diet and nutrition is excellent, I just have a crackheads metabolism. Any suggestions guys?
    Deadlift is king

Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have better luck keeping the reps low, 3 and under. Right now i am doing 10 sets of 1 with 1 min rest between reps. I have done bw+75X3 AND Bw+100x1 from a dead hang. i havent worked on them much latly as my elbow were bothering me.

5G is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 5G is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 5G is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 5G is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 5G is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 5G is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 5G is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 5G is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 5G is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 5G is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 5G is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    IMHO, 55 pound jump in less than 1.5 months for chinups is kinda hard. your best bet is to give it your best effort. try 3x3, 1x3, 3x1 type deals. i just don't know if that is a feasible goal. now if you said around aug-dec time frame, then i'd say its doable.
    Last edited by NotMeAgain; 04-22-2008 at 03:51 PM.

momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I don't know exactly what the rules are for when a chinup is completed, but if you're actually going up all the way the top will almost surely be your sticking point. I got good results by doing low reps (1-3) with bands and weight attached. That is I put a heavy dumbell on the ground, attached a band to it and me and did chinups. This really forces you to pull at the top. It can put a tremendous stress on your joints though.

I think the main thing though was treating it like one of the "big 4". Which for me was squat, bench, deadlift, chinups. I was able to get up to 155 pounds with a bodyweight of 203. But I decided to get more serious about my powerlifting and havne't been able to to focus on chinups. Everything else went up and my chinups aren't goign anywhere. Just realize the more you focus on this seriously the less you can focus on say...your squat or whatever.

Also, I think that sort of jump isn't too likely. As far as I've seen this isn't like squat or deadlift where you can hit 50 pound PR's every once in a while. You should be able to eventually but it'll probably take time and some elbow greese.

vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i can do bw+135 right now for a double.. .and have found that i went from bw+45 to 90 and then to 135 for a single didnt take too much..

i only trained it once a week and now am doing pullups twice a week. (once weighted and once for reps)...

i'll do a total of 100 reps weighted using diff grips (sets from 10 down to singles on weighted days... on bw only day i'll do between 150 and 200 total (usually doing 100 at the beginning of my workout and the rest towards teh end.. or when i walk by the pullup bar between other sets)

cheers
    SCIVATION XTEND...... 8-10 scoops a-day make the fibras happy!!!!!!

check my bodyspace blog.....

learn how to squat right SQUAT RX
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UPAI&mode=related&search=

Perceptionist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Perceptionist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Perceptionist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Perceptionist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Perceptionist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Perceptionist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Perceptionist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Perceptionist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Perceptionist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Perceptionist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Perceptionist is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    not the best place to ask this question. there are many ways to get your pull/chin up strength stronger, just like there's many ways to get your squat/bench/deadlift stronger. Be consistent, progress and increase your volume. you can also add static holds at the top for time, partials, negatives, use bands, chains, towel pullups, pully rigged pullups, kipping pullups, different grips, L pullups, J pullups, clapping pullups, blah blah blah... bw+100 lbs is very doable, especially at your bodyweight...if you want to look cool on a pull up bar add in some one-arm chin and muscle up training and you'll be at monkey status when you get to that level. I have the worse build for doing pullups and I've done a one-arm chin for a triple and muscle ups on a straight bar for reps.

I'm not sure if they have this competition anymore, but it use to be a chin-up contest of bw+bw (200% bw) for reps (dead hang to chin above bar). I can't remember exactly, but I believe the top guys where doing anywhere from 15-20 reps. I know at one contest the winner weighed 180 lbs and did like 17 reps with 180 lbs hanging by his waist. That is badass.
    The Percepta @ 165ah

Unsterblich will become famous soon enough. (+50) Unsterblich will become famous soon enough. (+50) Unsterblich will become famous soon enough. (+50) Unsterblich will become famous soon enough. (+50) Unsterblich will become famous soon enough. (+50) Unsterblich will become famous soon enough. (+50) Unsterblich will become famous soon enough. (+50) Unsterblich will become famous soon enough. (+50) Unsterblich will become famous soon enough. (+50) Unsterblich will become famous soon enough. (+50) Unsterblich will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I used a few different techniques today, started out with a quick warmup set of bodyweight chins, then went straight to my real sets with the 45. I did 5x6 with a few extra reps added in the end by my spotter(or helper, in this case). After the negatives, I did 10 solid chins, and on the 10th rep, held a static hold at the top, which is the obvious weak point, as pointed out before. I repeated this two more times, with less reps, and a longer hold.

As for one arm pullups, been working on it using one finger and one arm, I'll do that later this week when I do wide grip pullups.

BTW, all of my reps are FULL ROM reps, not halfassed, as most people do. My goal seems quite attainable within 6 weeks time, which takes less stress off of my shoulders to gain in my other lifts which I have been slacking in.
    Deadlift is king