Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Unnamed.Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unnamed.Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unnamed.Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unnamed.Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unnamed.Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unnamed.Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unnamed.Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unnamed.Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unnamed.Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unnamed.Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unnamed.Music is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Alcohol related question

This is going to sound stupid, but I feel inclined to ask anyway

In my drunken stupod last night I had the following idea:
    (Please correct me if I am wrong)

Your brain limits the amount of muscles you can use. At any given point, you can only use a certian % of your total strength, otherwise you would hurt your own body. (tendons, joints etc.) My question is this: if a person were to
    drink before lifting (not saying this is a good idea) would the % of your total strength that you could use increase? I ask this because, from my understanding, alcohol gets rid of inhibitions, and if your brain is inhibiting(sp?) you from using your full strength, would the alcohol lower this barrier?

This sounds stupid as I'm typing it but I just feel the need to ask anyway.

deracate chinese frower Mindi912's Avatar
    Location: Space Cadet City, ToughCookieVille, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    sounds like a good way to die

no that's the most stoopidest idea I've ever heard

happy killing yourself
    Perfection in mind, perfect body!

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Pro - 0 - 0 - 1 :(

----don't be THAT guy---- two choices's Avatar
    two choices will become famous soon enough. (+50) two choices will become famous soon enough. (+50) two choices will become famous soon enough. (+50) two choices will become famous soon enough. (+50) two choices will become famous soon enough. (+50) two choices will become famous soon enough. (+50) two choices will become famous soon enough. (+50) two choices will become famous soon enough. (+50) two choices will become famous soon enough. (+50) two choices will become famous soon enough. (+50) two choices will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    bad idea. when i was younger i had a bench press in my bedroom and everybody would be on it if i threw a party. so you got ten drunk guys thinking they are stronger because they're drunk, then lift off what they normally would do, and then it falls to their chest and requires much spotting to get it off.

bad idea.
    STATS:
    bench-(insert e-stat)
    squat-(insert e-stat)
    dead-(insert e-stat)

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Alcohol impairs brain function.

The CNS is responsible for firing motor units.

Impaired CNS = poor firing of motor units.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

deracate chinese frower Mindi912's Avatar
    Location: Space Cadet City, ToughCookieVille, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    don't forget dehydration
    Perfection in mind, perfect body!

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Pro - 0 - 0 - 1 :(

dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have tried training while drunk. I wasn't so drunk as to be uncoordinated, but I certainly had no intensity.

Didn't bother after that. Just train sober.

Unnamed.Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unnamed.Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unnamed.Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unnamed.Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unnamed.Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unnamed.Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unnamed.Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unnamed.Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unnamed.Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unnamed.Music is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unnamed.Music is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm not saying that I'm going to train drunk, I'm not that stupid, I was just curious if alcohol could affect your strength at all. Obvisouly heavy weights+alcohol=bad idea, I just wanted to know for knowledge's sake

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I agree with you. I have experimented with this very thing on a number of occasions and have had great workouts up to about 4 beers. After that they start to fall off somewhat.

The bigger exercises all went up while i was drinking and lifting. Squats, Deads, Bench. I did not attempt full clean or snatches due to the complexities of them.

I think the beer helped me loosen up, forget the day and focus better on the work at hand. Also the fuel provided was beneficial.

I did the same thing with some running. I drank a beer. Ran about a mile, then guzzled down another one. Again I had great results up until 4 miles or so. Then the sloshing got too me.

Sprinting was a disaster and I would not recommend it.

Usually when I attempt runs of 14 plus miles I will drink a bunch the night before. This seems to have the same effect as the lifting. Loosened up and relaxed and able to focus clearly on the task.

I tried light beer but it didnt have the same effect. It really did nothing to enhance the workout. I used to drink light beer but after that I only drink full strength. Its like the take the soul out of it when they make it light.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

ZiPP has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZiPP has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZiPP has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZiPP has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZiPP has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZiPP has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZiPP has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZiPP has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZiPP has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZiPP has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZiPP has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    yes,. add 50 pounds to your 1rm while drunk, and dont use a spotter..

wooo

not good to go against your bodies protection mechanisms btw

ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I went to workout one time on a reallly good buzz. My strengths were 1/3 of what they were. I got tired really fast, sweated like a pig etc. Ill stick to caffeine and ephedrine for a boost.
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Your King

scottycam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottycam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottycam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottycam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottycam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottycam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Unnamed.Music View Post

Your brain limits the amount of muscles you can use. At any given point, you can only use a certian % of your total strength, otherwise you would hurt your own body. (tendons, joints etc.) My question is this: if a person were to
    drink before lifting (not saying this is a good idea) would the % of your total strength that you could use increase? I ask this because, from my understanding, alcohol gets rid of inhibitions, and if your brain is inhibiting(sp?) you from using your full strength, would the alcohol lower this barrier?

No drinking alcohol before a workout would make you lift less. Alcohol decreases your coordination and balance (so very bad idea to lift heavy weights like this anyway lol) and because it dehydrates the body (including your muscles) they would not be able to operate at full capacity, therefore your lifts would be less.

Registered User Big Arm Big Pay's Avatar
    Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Definitely will have less strength simply for the fact that you can't concentrate that much.
    Workout log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=454246811#post454246811

"Dude...there are ALWAYS ninjas. You just can't see them." - HardGainer82, Clark Kent, WishmasterATM, BPP, poopoo333, JOSEF RAKICH

IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Big Arm Big Pay View Post
    Definitely will have less strength simply for the fact that you can't concentrate that much.
    Your input sucks.

Bad.

Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by IRONMANN1 View Post
    Your input sucks.

Bad.
    im glad u have dedicated your time to knockin my posts lol what a doushe
    Workout log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=454246811#post454246811

"Dude...there are ALWAYS ninjas. You just can't see them." - HardGainer82, Clark Kent, WishmasterATM, BPP, poopoo333, JOSEF RAKICH

IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    im glad u have dedicated your time to knockin my posts lol what a doushe
    So how's that fat gain coming?

brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000)

Only time the body can push itself to the point of hurting itself is during times of intense external stress, think fight or flight. The stories you hear of men picking up huge rocks that had fallen on them, or women picking up the end of a car to save their kid all fall into the category where the brain will push the body to hurt itself in reponse to a life or death situation. Drinking beer does not illicit this response. ******* or meth, maybe.
    see ya at 225

So how's that fat gain coming?
    why dont you take a log at my profile and find out bro im lifting weights that your never gonna throw up in your life and i love it.

why dont you take a log at my profile and find out bro im lifting weights that your never gonna throw up in your life and i love it.
    haha

I am 5-6" taller, 20+lbs lighter. Squat and Deadlift more than you.

Oh noes, teh fatty bounce benches more than meeeeeeeee

Edit: How did you get that fat by 19? All that fried food momma's serving you in the trailer park eh??
    Last edited by IRONMANN1; 04-14-2008 at 07:54 AM.

brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000)
    haha

I am 5-6" taller, 20+lbs lighter. Squat and Deadlift more than you.

Oh noes, teh fatty bounce benches more than meeeeeeeee
    hug it out bitches
    see ya at 225

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by brad71983 View Post
    hug it out bitches
    Dont kill our fuggin e-fight. I'm having fun.

Dont kill our fuggin e-fight. I'm having fun.
    your need to stop being jealous of me and go to the gym right now.

your need to stop being jealous of me and go to the gym right now.
    Wat!?

lulz

Tell me more!

Wat!?

lulz

Tell me more!
    whatever man if you can't have a intelligence conversation about how much better i am then you im leaving.

Thumbs up

whatever man if you can't have a intelligence conversation about how much better i am then you im leaving.
    LOL

Grammar. Learn it.

scottycam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottycam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottycam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottycam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottycam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottycam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by brad71983 View Post
    Only time the body can push itself to the point of hurting itself is during times of intense external stress, think fight or flight. The stories you hear of men picking up huge rocks that had fallen on them, or women picking up the end of a car to save their kid all fall into the category where the brain will push the body to hurt itself in reponse to a life or death situation. Drinking beer does not illicit this response. ******* or meth, maybe.
    and lets just leave it at "******* or meth, maybe" ... no one needs to go out and test it lol im sure even if they did let you lift more because you can go past your bodies safety limits that there would be more damage caused then just damaging your muscles.

Your body has these limits for a reason.

BoDanger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoDanger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoDanger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoDanger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoDanger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoDanger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoDanger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoDanger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoDanger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoDanger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoDanger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Oh man this is a really bad idea.
    One of the worst things you can do is mix lifting and drinking. Mostly becasue alcohol really inhibits muscle repair. I always tell this to kids who are talking about going out drinking after they lift at my gym.

You also have to consider that alcohol is a depressant.

The effect that you are looking for can some what be found in the natural pain killers that you pump out when you lift like endorphins. Something like the product DREN by MHP might give you the effect you are talking about.

But listen to what you are saying. Your brain wants to stop you from hurting yourself when you lift, you are trying to find away around that so you CAN hurt yourself?

ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by scottycam View Post
    and lets just leave it at "******* or meth, maybe" ... no one needs to go out and test it lol im sure even if they did let you lift more because you can go past your bodies safety limits that there would be more damage caused then just damaging your muscles.

Your body has these limits for a reason.
    Iv pondered the idea of working out on coke, I think that may be to much for my heart. No need to go that far
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Your King

Just to clear something up, I am in no way condoning working out, or am even thinking about working out with any amount of alcohol in me. Like i said before, Heavy weights+alcohol=stupid. I was simply wondering if alcohol would, for lack of a better term 'un-inhibit' the inhibitors that stop the body from using 100% of its total muscle power.

I got my answer (along with my first neg! awesome!) Thank you for your input

Just to clear something up, I am in no way condoning working out, or am even thinking about working out with any amount of alcohol in me. Like i said before, Heavy weights+alcohol=stupid. I was simply wondering if alcohol would, for lack of a better term 'un-inhibit' the inhibitors that stop the body from using 100% of its total muscle power.

I got my answer (along with my first neg! awesome!) Thank you for your input
    I knew that you where only just asking this because you where curious, i dont know who would have neg'ed you for what you posted. Just someones misinterpretation i guess... BL

dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Lightbulb

I take it you didn't go to school? You made 3 mistakes in this simple sentence.
    sponsored by Bulk Powders Australia
    use code NAPARM in the 'redeem' box at checkout for a discount off your order