ace897 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question About Losing Weight/gaining Muscle

Info
    height and weight: 6'1 235 lbs.
    Body fat % (if possible, dont just guess if you dont know) about 30%
    How long you have been training: 2-3 months
    My goals: Lose the body fat and replace it with muscle
    A breakdown of your current routine: Mostly cardio with some light weight workouts
    How long I have been on this same routine:2 months
    Have I made gains on this routine, and if so in what way: lost 25 lbs
    What is my diet like: egg whites/whole wheat toast, oatmeal or some cereal for breakfast, usually a salad or a turkey sandwich on whole wheat for lunch and for dinner usually chicken/sometimes steak with salad/rice
    Have / are I taking any supplements and/or anabolic agents (optional): No

Hey guys. I dont know much about bodybuilding so i'd like to know. How can i work out efficiently and lose fat while gaining muscle. i want to be around the 200-210 lb. mark but muscle, not fat. I have gotten my body fat % down by about 6%, but i'd like to know if possibly i can stay at 235, and gain all muscle. Or, do i have to stick to cardio to get down to the mark I want, then from there start the weight lifting all over again.

-Thanks.

Registered User KlimTheSmartCow's Avatar
    KlimTheSmartCow will become famous soon enough. (+50) KlimTheSmartCow will become famous soon enough. (+50) KlimTheSmartCow will become famous soon enough. (+50) KlimTheSmartCow will become famous soon enough. (+50) KlimTheSmartCow will become famous soon enough. (+50) KlimTheSmartCow will become famous soon enough. (+50) KlimTheSmartCow will become famous soon enough. (+50) KlimTheSmartCow will become famous soon enough. (+50) KlimTheSmartCow will become famous soon enough. (+50) KlimTheSmartCow will become famous soon enough. (+50) KlimTheSmartCow will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    you cannot do both at the same time, you may wish to lose the weight first, My guess would be down to about 170, then add muscle from there.

Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ace897 View Post
    Info
    height and weight: 6'1 235 lbs.
    Body fat % (if possible, dont just guess if you dont know) about 30%
    How long you have been training: 2-3 months
    My goals: Lose the body fat and replace it with muscle
    A breakdown of your current routine: Mostly cardio with some light weight workouts
    How long I have been on this same routine:2 months
    Have I made gains on this routine, and if so in what way: lost 25 lbs
    What is my diet like: egg whites/whole wheat toast, oatmeal or some cereal for breakfast, usually a salad or a turkey sandwich on whole wheat for lunch and for dinner usually chicken/sometimes steak with salad/rice
    Have / are I taking any supplements and/or anabolic agents (optional): No

Hey guys. I dont know much about bodybuilding so i'd like to know. How can i work out efficiently and lose fat while gaining muscle. i want to be around the 200-210 lb. mark but muscle, not fat. I have gotten my body fat % down by about 6%, but i'd like to know if possibly i can stay at 235, and gain all muscle. Or, do i have to stick to cardio to get down to the mark I want, then from there start the weight lifting all over again.

-Thanks.
    At 30% body fat and at such a young age, it's very possible to burn fat and build muscle simultaneously. Trouble is, knowing how to do it right. I have a little theory that when you are in excess in body fat, the body will jump into the excess stores and use a proportion of this to help build muscle. Whether this is fact remains uncertain for me atm, but from experience I've had no problems maintaining weight while dropping body fat.

What I am getting at here is that following a 'bulking-style' workout routine (i.e. resistance training, reduced cardio) you can do what you want to do. My suggestion - achieve a calorie deficit (no less than 300 calories of maintenance) and lift weights. Throw in a couple of moderate to intense cardio sessions (20 - 45 minutes 3 or 4 times a week).

All else aside, YOU NEED TO EAT CLEAN! High protein diet, reduce carbohydrates as the day goes on (eating close to 0g in the hours before bed) and make sure you get those good fats in you.

One thing you need to keep in mind though, you can't maintain weight and build nothing but muscle. Weight will fluctuate a little all the time and your more likely to lose weight than maintain weight while eating a calorie deficit. Obviously, eating a calorie surplus will yield weight gain.
    BRB... cutting for 12 weeks

Bench: 145kg (320lbs) x 1 <<< NEW PR August, 2009
    Deadlift: 210kg (463lbs) x 1 <<< NEW PR December, 2009
    ATG Squat: 165kg (364bs) x 1 <<< NEW PR December, 2009