highland99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) highland99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) highland99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) highland99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) highland99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) highland99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) highland99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) highland99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) highland99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Kinesiology of Squats and Gluteus Medius

I was informed by my doctor that I have considerable gluteus medius tendinitis. Performing full squats, in particular, causes a lot of irritation to this region.

The one question I forgot to ask my physician was: would the aggravation of the gluteus medius be reduced if I only performed half squats? This is obviously where the kinesiology of the gluteus medius muscle comes into play.

My doctor said that clearing up the tendinitis is going to be a long-term process. I don’t want my legs to go to absolute jelly in the interim. Therefore, I’m trying to think of things I can do without aggravating the underlying tendinitis.

(BTW, I know about leg extensions, leg curls, and potentially a few other exercises to at least keep my quads and hams from absolutely going to pot. But “regular/full” heck squats, lunges, and other leg exercises all require (for the most part) the serious engagement of the gluteus medius muscles, of course.)

Thanks in advance for any comments!

MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Low bar squats and sumo deads can beat up your hips. Specifically glute meds. Do what you can do without pain and do some mobility work. I bet you have some issues in your piriformis, hamstrings, TFLs, and QLs. Google em and foam roll the **** out of em.

You might also want to see if you have a hip impingement.

highland99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) highland99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) highland99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) highland99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) highland99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) highland99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) highland99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) highland99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) highland99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks Marc for your imput, much appreciated.

The problem is definitely the gluteus medius, as I’ve had the MRI, x-rays, and orthopedic surgeon’s full evaluation. The tendinitis is most acute at the top and bottom of this muscle group. Steroidal injections are upcoming (next week), but the doc said it’s not going to be a cure-all.

Have two different types of the foam rollers, by the way. I love them, even though they hurt like crazy.

Also have incorporated lots of different stretching; my wife does yoga and she has introduced me to a wide range of various stretches, all of which help to a certain point but don’t begin to address the underlying pain.

Thanks again.

Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Check this out for some great ideas on stretching and flexibility.

Thanks Mdenatale!