wuvolleyball is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuvolleyball is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuvolleyball is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuvolleyball is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuvolleyball is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuvolleyball is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuvolleyball is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuvolleyball is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuvolleyball is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuvolleyball is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuvolleyball is on a distinguished road. (+10)

New Rules of Lifting for Women

I recently bought this book and have found it to be very interesting. I was wondering if anyone has followed this program that has been outlined in the book and if they have been seeing good results?

I am kind of struggling with the idea of only working out three days out of the week. I currently hit the gym 6 out of 7 days a week and wonder how that would effect me cutting that time in half?

I would love to hear from anyone that has given this program a try and to hear if it's worth giving it a shot or not?!

Thanks!!

frogguruami has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogguruami has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogguruami has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogguruami has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogguruami has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogguruami has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogguruami has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogguruami has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogguruami has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogguruami has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogguruami has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I did Stage 1 of NRoL4Women and I am now doing the Fat Loss in NROL (the original). It is great and I see amazing results. My strength increased drastically in the first stage. So far I have lost 4.5% body fat and 7 1/4 inches. I started on Feb 20th so it hasn't even been two months. It is a very challenging program. It doesn't look so on paper but it is and the stages get progressively harder as you move further into the program. I added the occasional HIIT session in Stage 1 and now I do HIIT at least twice a week, three if I can manage.

AM
    ps. I switched because I wanted to make a more concentrated effort on fat loss not because of any fault of the program!
    AM, homeschooling mom to Wild and Wacky

98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just started the last stage of the program this week.

I already have been training steadily for 3 1/2 years so am a little
    past the beginner stage. Trying to shed a little fat so I am trying
    this for the last stage. Like it so far.

blackandblonde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blackandblonde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blackandblonde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blackandblonde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i would be skeptical of something that gave different rules of lifting for women. we should all lift the same. obviously not the same weight, but the same rules apply for both men and women.
    pain is weakness leaving the body.
    nothing to it but to do it.

wuvolleyball is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuvolleyball is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuvolleyball is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuvolleyball is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuvolleyball is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuvolleyball is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuvolleyball is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuvolleyball is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuvolleyball is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuvolleyball is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuvolleyball is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the replies!

Originally Posted by blackandblonde View Post
    i would be skeptical of something that gave different rules of lifting for women. we should all lift the same. obviously not the same weight, but the same rules apply for both men and women.
    Actually that is kind of the point of this book. It explains why women should lift like heavy like men and not just light 5 lb weights with a lot of reps.

blackandblonde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blackandblonde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blackandblonde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blackandblonde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by wuvolleyball View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

Actually that is kind of the point of this book. It explains why women should lift like heavy like men and not just light 5 lb weights with a lot of reps.
    ah. excellent.
    i should look into this program.
    pain is weakness leaving the body.
    nothing to it but to do it.

bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So where is WU? A fellow volleyball player YAY! But I'm old.

What does the New Rules program entail? I'm curious because I looked the book up and read the online excerpts so I'd like to see how the program compares to the Starting Strength program my son and I have been using.

Originally Posted by bbbom View Post
    So where is WU? A fellow volleyball player YAY! But I'm old.

What does the New Rules program entail? I'm curious because I looked the book up and read the online excerpts so I'd like to see how the program compares to the Starting Strength program my son and I have been using.
    Washburn University in good ol Topeka Kansas It's a program with stages and it progresses with these work outs as you go. It's set up as total body work outs 3 times a week with of course heavy lifting. Honestly even if you wouldn't follow the training program it is a very interesting book that personally I learned a lot from.

Powered by Reese's Puffs anandagirl's Avatar
    anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Especially for the seasoned lifters - do you feel there was anything new in this book? I keep hearing people talk about it, but there is already so much out there on T-nation, BB.com, etc. that I wonder if it's just a rehash of everything out there. Do you like the program? Did it teach you anything new or has you do something you never considered before? I hope those questions came out the way I meant them
    Team Ogre Mascot

IG: anandagirl
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/therealanandagirl
    Accountability Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171177361

TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Well, I lift 3x a week... I wouldn't be able to go to the gym more than that. Actually I do go only 2x (push/pull split) and do 1xFBW... I used to do 3xFBW before...

I think it's more about "working the muscles" than "going to the gym". I used to work every muscle 3x a week, now I do it 2x a week. Do you GO to the gym 6-7x a week, or work EVERY MUSCLE 6-7x a week? The former seems a rather bad idea...

Current stats:
    67 kg / 167 cm / 25-27 %bf / 28 yo
    max lifts:
    bb bench press: 7 x 55kg
    lat pulldown: 5 x 60 kg
    squat: 8 x 60 kg

bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Kansas, cool!

Good question anandagirl - from what I read in the online excerpt it sounds like a good program and at least he does state that women should lift heavy but like anandagirl asked - is it anything new?

In all my years of training for sports, lifting heavy was the way I was taught to train way back in high school. If you don't lift heavy and feel like you lifted, why go to the trouble of even showing up at the gym? Could be that I was just extemely competitive and so were the girls I played sports with so we all tried to outlift each other.

As far as the debate over how many days to lift/hit the gym/etc. - I have done a 6 day a week lifting program in the past but that was because I was addicted to lifting and being in the gym. I was extremely depressed and it made me feel better to be around my lifting buds and be working out. But I did a 3 day split and did each split twice a week so each muscle was worked 2x a week basically.

I didn't see any detriments to that program other than the amount of time I spent in the gym so I would say that a properly planned 6 day a week or even 7 day a week program for a reasonable period of time would be doable.

In fact I was in the best shape of my life back then and had a vertical jump when I played vball that scared me at times, not to mention I got comments all the time about how buff I was - ah, the good old days.

Now 20 years later with work, kids and other hobbies, sports interests and commitments, 3 days a week LIFTING is about all I can fit in so I do the full body workouts.

The Starting Strength program consists of 3 days a week of fullbody lifting using compound excersizes with 3 sets of 5 reps for the work sets after several lighter warmup sets of 5 - 2 reps. Squats each workout, Standing military press or bench press, alternating each workout and powercleans on days 1 & 3 with deadlifts in place of cleans on day 2, pullups alternated with chinups using bodyweight or assisted each workout and some weighted crunches each workout.

This program only takes about an hour and has increased my strength pretty well for the amount of dedication I've had to give it (which hasn't been very good lately).

It's a good, easy to understand basic strength building program. So I'm curious to hear what the New Rules is like. How many days a week? What type of lifts? How many sets/reps, etc.

I think that ANY program that involves lifting heavy and that you commit to do regularly along with a reasonable diet will get you results. It's all about how committed are you.

Man, just thinking about my days lifting everyday with no concerns or commitments to anyone else sure makes me miss those days. To have 2 or 3 hours everyday where I could just lift, run, workout, rest, play vball, or whatever - now I think I'll cry. Dang, I can't I gotta get back to WORK!
    Last edited by bbbom; 04-10-2008 at 11:44 AM.

mandat28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Washburn University in good ol Topeka Kansas
    WOW, my dad graduated from Washburn, I haven't heard about that school in a long time! I just ordered this book and am looking forward to getting started, seems like a no-fluff training manual. Me likey
    never perfect, but always better

Originally Posted by mandat28 View Post
    WOW, my dad graduated from Washburn, I haven't heard about that school in a long time! I just ordered this book and am looking forward to getting started, seems like a no-fluff training manual. Me likey
    Small world isn't it? I am done with volleyball now but I still can't get out of the going to the gym 6 days a week thing. I have not started this program I am currently doing a 4 day split and quite a bit of cardio. It's hard changing from practicing for 3 hours a day to what I do now. I know doing a lot of cardio isn't the best thing but I ususally just have 2 cardio/ ab days along with my 4 day weight lifting split I do about 20-30 after. When I get home and look at the book I can give you a better idea of what it's about...

I'd appreciate that.

I remember how hard it was to go from college athlete to normal working person. It's tough figuring out how to maintain your health & fitness levels when you go from practicing/training/playing 6 days a week or more to the world of working fulltime and trying to fit a good workout that challenges you but that you can fit into your schedule with new priorities.

I think the worst part was that I missed all the time I had for working out and all the food I could eat when I was working out all the time!

mandat28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have not started this program I am currently doing a 4 day split and quite a bit of cardio. It's hard changing from practicing for 3 hours a day to what I do now. I know doing a lot of cardio isn't the best thing but I ususally just have 2 cardio/ ab days along with my 4 day weight lifting split I do about 20-30 after. When I get home and look at the book I can give you a better idea of what it's about...
    I too am doing a 4 day split with 4 days of cardio. I also teach a full-body Lift class at 24 Hour one day/week. I don't usually count that as a workout though... I'm really just looking for a change from the current program I'm on. I always like to shake things up about every 12 weeks.
    never perfect, but always better

Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm in stage 2 of the NROL4W program and have seen a good increase in strength. It's a six-month program that you follow from beginning to end. Highly focused on functional strength moves like squats, pullups, all varieties of pushups, stepups, etc., but Alwyn combines them in new and devious ways and manages to throw in a couple of exercises I've never done.

It starts out building up strength and muscle balance and ends with a fat-burning phase. There's even a phase to help work you up to doing unassisted pullups if you can't do those yet.

I think it's a great program, although a lot of serious trainers will think it's too "basic" for them, it doesn't hurt to get back to basics occasionally.

You can go to the forum at www.thenewrulesoflifting.com and talk to some other people who are doing the program if you're interested.

StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The NROL forums have been suspended? I hope this is just temporary

frogguruami has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogguruami has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogguruami has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogguruami has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogguruami has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogguruami has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogguruami has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogguruami has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogguruami has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogguruami has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogguruami has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by StephanieShine View Post
    The NROL forums have been suspended? I hope this is just temporary
    Yes, they are back up now. I went there to get my fix this morning and they were down and then went to my homeschooling board to get my other fix and they were down. I think the universe is conspiring against me! LOL
    AM, homeschooling mom to Wild and Wacky

orangechic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am doing this right now, am currently on Stage 5 and have found it very challenging. I had been going to the gym 4-5 times a week and am now doing 3-4 and have stayed at the same weight and have noticed significant improvements.

I had been lifting seriously for about a year and a half before I started doing this program. I have felt very challenged by all of the workouts- especially the things like the one arm snatch and a move called YTWL.

Registered User louisethundercloud's Avatar
    louisethundercloud has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) louisethundercloud has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) louisethundercloud has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) louisethundercloud has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) louisethundercloud has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) louisethundercloud has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Smile shed fat keep muscle

I am 58 & want to keep my dense mass, but loose fat & define by end of August. Would this help me

nan2thenoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Nutrition advice...?

Hi, I am 18 years old and I have been lifting for about 8 months now. I used to be a total cardio bunny until I was finally introduced into the wonders of weight training. I just recently purchased NROLFW and I started stage one yesterday along with the diet plan. I am used to eating only about 1200-1500 calories (which I realize now was a mistake) but I cannot shake my residual feelings that I am going to gain crazy amounts of fat if I follow his nutrition plan and eat 1960 calories on non-workout days and 2100 on workout days. Has anyone seen success while following his exact nutrition plan? How much modification did you have to do and did it affect your results at all? I just want to lose about 5-10 lbs of body fat and hopefully a good amount of muscle as well. Please help...?

Btw I am doing daily yoga (15 minutes every morning) and light cardio on off days as well. Is this a good idea...??

Registered User TrampasaursFlex's Avatar
    TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000)
    I did NROLFW and loved it. I recommend joining the ******** group The New Rules of Lifting for Women:Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess. Lou and Alwyn are members and are known to answer questions about the program there.

The nutrition stuff has been revised/updated since the book was written. There's a FAQ thread in the FB group that addresses current nutrition recommendations. It's difficult to make any kind of recommendation for your caloric intake without knowing your weight and height.

The yoga is fine, as is the cardio if it's light and you're getting enough rest.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!