Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50)

smith machine - n00b question

This may sound like a stupid question to most in here but I am wondering if I am doing something wrong, looking stupid, or whatever. It's a bit off the wall and difficult to search for.

What is the proper position for working in the Smith machine? When you are lifting, do you turn the bar toward you or away from you to hit the hooks when finished? So if I am doing a military press in the smith, should I twist the bar toward me to grab the hooks or away from me to grab the hooks? Like I said, seems like a silly question but form does matter, eh?

nuppal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I always sit behind the hooks.

IE turn the hooks TOWARDS my face, then AWAY when I am done. Pretty sure that is the pref method.
    Bench=215
    Squat=235
    Dead=335

ihop1411 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ihop1411 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ihop1411 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ihop1411 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ihop1411 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ihop1411 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ihop1411 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ihop1411 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ihop1411 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ihop1411 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ihop1411 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ill just usually face the mirror...thats what most people seem to do

rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The only stupid question is the one you don't ask, then you get hurt doing an exercise wrong, so yeah, it's okay to ask.

For Smith machine, no, it doesn't matter which way you turn the bar. It's the same if you "face into" the machine or "face out" of the machine.

OLD NAME(no homo) hollisterboii's Avatar
    hollisterboii will become famous soon enough. (+50) hollisterboii will become famous soon enough. (+50) hollisterboii will become famous soon enough. (+50) hollisterboii will become famous soon enough. (+50) hollisterboii will become famous soon enough. (+50) hollisterboii will become famous soon enough. (+50) hollisterboii will become famous soon enough. (+50) hollisterboii will become famous soon enough. (+50) hollisterboii will become famous soon enough. (+50) hollisterboii will become famous soon enough. (+50) hollisterboii will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Can't answer you question. But let me direct you here

http://www.dietdetective.com/content/view/2247/78/

One day try doing Military Presses with just the barbell. It works your core better.

Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if there was a difference either way so I figured I'd try to be sure. I did my first sets of squats after starting again in one and not long after I finished, I noticed the next person facing the opposite as I was on my sets. I don't use it for squats anymore though.

I will get to just the barbell in due time. I haven't done military press in a while so I want to get the hang of it again before I go free. The only problem I can see having in the smith is that when I fully extend, I am almost hitting the stops on top of the bar that the barbell slides on.

Thanks again for the quick replies, this site rocks for info and motivation, IMHO.

Nauxz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nauxz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nauxz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nauxz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nauxz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nauxz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nauxz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nauxz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nauxz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nauxz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nauxz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rplass View Post
    For Smith machine, no, it doesn't matter which way you turn the bar. It's the same if you "face into" the machine or "face out" of the machine.
    Personally I have not used the Smith machine before, but i'm pretty sure the bar does not go straight up and down, i.e. there is a slight angle the path of the bar makes with the vertical. In this case it does matter where you face.
    "Bigger plates are better for mass gains, smaller plates are better for definition." - J.L.C.

Owe:
    CLK-GTR

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by hollisterboii View Post
    One day try doing Military Presses with just the barbell. It works your core better.
    The Smith works my shoulders very well and I refuse to use the barbell. Also, the Military press is not supposed to be a core exercise.

I do dumbbell shoulder presses though.

OLD NAME(no homo) hollisterboii's Avatar
    hollisterboii will become famous soon enough. (+50) hollisterboii will become famous soon enough. (+50) hollisterboii will become famous soon enough. (+50) hollisterboii will become famous soon enough. (+50) hollisterboii will become famous soon enough. (+50) hollisterboii will become famous soon enough. (+50) hollisterboii will become famous soon enough. (+50) hollisterboii will become famous soon enough. (+50) hollisterboii will become famous soon enough. (+50) hollisterboii will become famous soon enough. (+50) hollisterboii will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Berserk13 View Post
    The Smith works my shoulders very well and I refuse to use the barbell. Also, the Military press is not supposed to be a core exercise.
    The extra core work is what makes it a great compound. If you do it with smith machine, its really not a Military press.

ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Tallgntlmn View Post
    What is the proper position for working in the Smith machine? When you are lifting, do you turn the bar toward you or away from you to hit the hooks when finished?
    towards you. however IMO a newb should use free weights. the only reasonable use for the smith is when you are advanced and need more isolation to get more volume in.
    S T R A I G H T W A Y

BF 11% ▪ BI 14,5" ▪ TH 23,6" ▪ CHEST 43,5" ▪ WAIST 30,3" ▪ DEADLIFT 220x5 ▪ OH SQUAT 3x110x4 ▪ BENCH 220 ▪ CHINS 66 ▪ DIPS 105 ▪ NO JUICE ▪ NO SUPPS ▪ NO GEAR

take that f u c kin belt off!!!