Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

BodyPoints: 891
    j0ker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) j0ker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) j0ker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) j0ker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) j0ker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) j0ker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) j0ker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) j0ker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) j0ker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) j0ker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) j0ker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit j0ker's BodySpace

Possible to run laptop/Ipod music through guitar amp?

Friend's throwing a party and doesn't really have that loud of speakers besides those of a computer...

Question is, is it possible to run my laptop or Ipod and get the music to play out of my friend's guitar amp loudly? If so, what cables, or what in general would be needed to connect my laptop/Ipod to a guitar amp?

And btw, the guitar amp is a Line6.

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions.
    Trance Addict

Stats: 5'9", 176 lbs
    BodyPoints: 25677
    AKR has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) AKR has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) AKR has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) AKR has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) AKR has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) AKR has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) AKR has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) AKR has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) AKR has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) AKR has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) AKR has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit AKR's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    Friend's throwing a party and doesn't really have that loud of speakers besides those of a computer...

Question is, is it possible to run my laptop or Ipod and get the music to play out of my friend's guitar amp loudly? If so, what cables, or what in general would be needed to connect my laptop/Ipod to a guitar amp?

And btw, the guitar amp is a Line6.

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions.
    Yeah, it'll probably sound sorta weird because it's a guitar amp, but it's better than nothing. get a 1/8" to 1/4" converter from radioshack (or maybe compusa) and then plug your guitar cable into that converter, which is going into your laptop, and then plug the other end into the input of your amp. Make sure the distortion is turned off and mess with the EQ until it sounds ok. I THINK that will work.

DinosaurJr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinosaurJr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinosaurJr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinosaurJr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinosaurJr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinosaurJr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinosaurJr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinosaurJr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinosaurJr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinosaurJr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinosaurJr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ^^^

That'll work although through an amp will not sound great. Surely your friend must have a PA.

BodyPoints: 891
    j0ker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) j0ker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) j0ker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) j0ker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) j0ker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) j0ker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) j0ker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) j0ker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) j0ker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) j0ker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) j0ker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit j0ker's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by AKR View Post
    Yeah, it'll probably sound sorta weird because it's a guitar amp, but it's better than nothing. get a 1/8" to 1/4" converter from radioshack (or maybe compusa) and then plug your guitar cable into that converter, which is going into your laptop, and then plug the other end into the input of your amp. Make sure the distortion is turned off and mess with the EQ until it sounds ok. I THINK that will work.
    Alright, thanks a lot man...i'll try and do that and post back if it worked or not.

But question, do I have to worry about a certain amount of volume the jack on my laptop can hold when I plug the converter in my laptop and amp? I'm worried about anything "burning out"...

Originally Posted by DinosaurJr View Post
    ^^^

That'll work although through an amp will not sound great. Surely your friend must have a PA.
    Yea, i'm not really expecting the BEST quality...but i'm gonna try and fool around with my EQ on my laptop and/or amp. Just as long as it's loud and somewhat clear...
    Trance Addict

Stats: 5'9", 176 lbs
    BodyPoints: 25677
    AKR has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) AKR has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) AKR has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) AKR has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) AKR has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) AKR has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) AKR has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) AKR has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) AKR has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) AKR has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) AKR has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit AKR's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    Alright, thanks a lot man...i'll try and do that and post back if it worked or not.

But question, do I have to worry about a certain amount of volume the jack on my laptop can hold when I plug the converter in my laptop and amp? I'm worried about anything "burning out"...

Yea, i'm not really expecting the BEST quality...but i'm gonna try and fool around with my EQ on my laptop and/or amp. Just as long as it's loud and somewhat clear...
    I won't say for sure, because I don't wanna get blamed for your lap top exploding (which seems impossible, IMO)....

but it should have no affect on your laptop, because the amp is powering itself; your laptop is just providing the input. Now, were you to hook up speakers that had the power wired into your laptop somehow, then you could f*ck up your computer from drawing too much power off of it. But in this instance, there is no power connection.

Pudgy Limping Moderator ctgblue's Avatar
    Stats: 6'2", 235 lbs
    BodyPoints: 7785
    ctgblue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ctgblue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ctgblue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ctgblue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ctgblue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ctgblue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ctgblue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ctgblue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ctgblue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ctgblue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ctgblue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit ctgblue's BodySpace
    I would do it with an IPOD instead of a laptop, you need a headphone extension cable to run out of the ipod and a 1/8 stereo to 1/4 mono adapter plug from radioshack (about $3-4)
    Clean channel, 12 oclock all the EQ's on the amp and play with it from there, you need to make sure to adjust volume with the master, not the preamp, as the preamp volume also boosts gain into the system, possibly distorting the sound
    If you work it right, and the amp is not a POS, it should sound OK

http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...20adapter&sr=1

oh yea, you need this too
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

You can't just use a mono to mono plug as you will lose a side, they don't make a damn 1/8 stereo to 1/4 mono cable, and they don't make a 1/8 stero plug to a 1/4 mono jakc, although they do make the opposite.
    You need the two items above to run out of the ipod OR computer and into the amp and get the full signal

go pick them up $11 plus tax
    Last edited by ctgblue; 04-09-2008 at 01:42 PM.
    lift big 2 get big
    NPC Masters Competitor
    Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com
    Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??
    Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!
    DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads