flaknwood has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

super slow reps good for what?

I haven't worked out in the gym in over a year and All my bones hurt and my muscles are tight. I had been a regular in the gym for 12 years and I'm doing my AA phase to get back into it. I read some University studies that showed super slow reps (20-25% max1rp) do not necessarily do much for strength or power, but I'm wondering if it could be an effective way to hit all the fibers to prime them for harder workouts.I tend to go overboard with my training too soon and end up with a pulled muscle somewhere on my body.
    I was also wondering what kind of benefit super slow training might bring? I do a lot of cycling in the summer and my bulking phases would usually be in the winter.

Anybody ever read studies on how to effectively use super slow rep training or have any personal stories to share?

Canefan17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Canefan17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Canefan17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Canefan17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Canefan17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Canefan17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Canefan17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Canefan17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Canefan17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Canefan17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Canefan17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    TUT(Time Under Tension) increases and it will surely help you master the lift(assuming you are doing them correctlyto begin with).

Super Slow tempo isn't bad when learning the lift. But I wouldn't do this for more than 1-2 weeks.

dsharp9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsharp9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsharp9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsharp9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsharp9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsharp9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsharp9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsharp9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsharp9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsharp9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsharp9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Canefan17 View Post
    TUT(Time Under Tension) increases and it will surely help you master the lift(assuming you are doing them correctlyto begin with).

Super Slow tempo isn't bad when learning the lift. But I wouldn't do this for more than 1-2 weeks.
    I agree; superslow not bad when learning lift; but would not do for more than 1 - 2 weeks.

I also remember reading a study somewhere that superslow does have its disavantages; i seem to remember that force should be applied as fast as possible; this does not mean slinging the wieght or using momemtun because if you have enough wieght the bar will be slow to comeup just do to the weight; then lower at slow enough speed where you do not use gravity to assist it down... pretty simple...

so what then?

Well here's the thing, I feel an incredible burn when I do super slow reps. So it must be doing something. But all the info Ive read says it doesnt do much. SO if my muscles are burning, whats the deal?

StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by flaknwood View Post
    I read some University studies that showed super slow reps (20-25% max1rp) do not necessarily do much for strength or power, but I'm wondering if it could be an effective way to hit all the fibers to prime them for harder workouts.
    Anybody ever read studies on how to effectively use super slow rep training or have any personal stories to share?
    Basicly what you are doing with such a light weight is warming up. And you said yourself you want an effective way to hit all muscle fibers. Again, get in a really good warm up. Not to the point of burning though! Look up cluster training or rest pause training.

CanadianMoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) CanadianMoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) CanadianMoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) CanadianMoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) CanadianMoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) CanadianMoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) CanadianMoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) CanadianMoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) CanadianMoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) CanadianMoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) CanadianMoose is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I haven't worked out in the gym in over a year and All my bones hurt and my muscles are tight. I had been a regular in the gym for 12 years and I'm doing my AA phase to get back into it. I read some University studies that showed super slow reps (20-25% max1rp) do not necessarily do much for strength or power, but I'm wondering if it could be an effective way to hit all the fibers to prime them for harder workouts.I tend to go overboard with my training too soon and end up with a pulled muscle somewhere on my body.
    I was also wondering what kind of benefit super slow training might bring? I do a lot of cycling in the summer and my bulking phases would usually be in the winter.

I think that study is BS..I have used negative training on and off for years and reap huge benifits from it,in strength and size..
    by going very slow on the stretch phase(lowering)a tremendous amount of stress is applied to the muscle fibers.

fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I agree with the above posters in that super slow reps are good to start off with because they help your CNS to not only learn the lifts, but to learn to contract the muscles against the weights. As for the burning sensation, it means you are stimulating the lactate system. In other words..muscular endurance. This can be a good thing in it causes sarcomere hypertrophy (develops volume in the muscle), but to really stimulate the 2B fibers (strength and power), you have to contract the muscles hard and fast (don't confuse this with momentum). I'm talking firing off nerves impulses that contract muscles. After a couple of weeks with the slow mo training, you may add in low rep training and finish off with some higher rep slow mo training. This way you will REALLY hit all 3 types of fibers.

Originally Posted by CanadianMoose View Post
    I think that study is BS..I have used negative training on and off for years and reap huge benifits from it,in strength and size..
    by going very slow on the stretch phase(lowering)a tremendous amount of stress is applied to the muscle fibers.
    Sorry man but studies aren't BS, they are as close to fact as we can get. Studies discovered gravity, time, carbon dating etc. This study was carried out by the University of Alabama. Of course if the whole thing was faked it could be BS. But remember genetics play a huge role in your gains too! I used to do German Volume training in high school and it was great for training for pain and I really think it can help in some way, but If you are only doing 20% of your 1rm, huge strength gains can't be possible. At least not at the level 75% training gives us. And you make a good point: There is a great deal of stress in the muscles, Im just trying to figure out what this stress is doing for me. I like the TUT idea someone mentioned before, and I bet it helps with endurance sports as well.

Originally Posted by fbcoach View Post
    I agree with the above posters in that super slow reps are good to start off with because they help your CNS to not only learn the lifts, but to learn to contract the muscles against the weights. As for the burning sensation, it means you are stimulating the lactate system. In other words..muscular endurance. This can be a good thing in it causes sarcomere hypertrophy (develops volume in the muscle), but to really stimulate the 2B fibers (strength and power), you have to contract the muscles hard and fast (don't confuse this with momentum). I'm talking firing off nerves impulses that contract muscles. After a couple of weeks with the slow mo training, you may add in low rep training and finish off with some higher rep slow mo training. This way you will REALLY hit all 3 types of fibers.
    Ah yes the type I's and II's! Thanks for bringing that up. I'd forgotten about that. Your idea makes good sense!

bania is not very well liked. (-100) bania is not very well liked. (-100) bania is not very well liked. (-100) bania is not very well liked. (-100) bania is not very well liked. (-100) bania is not very well liked. (-100) bania is not very well liked. (-100) bania is not very well liked. (-100) bania is not very well liked. (-100) bania is not very well liked. (-100) bania is not very well liked. (-100)

No benefit to moving a weight that slowly, but it will take you longer to recover.

20-25% of your 1RM??? Waste of time.

You can give your joints a rest by using higher reps. Many long term trainers and "mature" lifters use this approach. Just lift the weight UNDER CONTROL, i.e., no heaving, jerking the weight.
    "If you can squat heavy and have solid sh*ts, what more can you ask of life?"
    Jon Paul Sigmarsson - WSM winner

Vote for Pedro

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos

Hardgainer/HIT resource list: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=54936191&postcount=131

PLUS www.ironaddicts.com