Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000)

Psychologists have noted a correlation between low self-esteem in women & promiscuity

This will be no surprise to most of you.

But the interesting thing, at least to me, is that in males promiscuity is correlated with HIGH self-esteem, and in females it's correlated with low self-esteem.

Quality women with healthy self-esteem actually have fewer bed notches and more long term, meaningful relationships. They don't sleep around or have one night stands. Generally, it's women who are slightly less attractive who fit this criterion. The very attractive women are more likely to have higher self-esteem.

So why does a woman with low self-esteem sleep around?

There are a number of theories, but I think it boils down to this: she seeks constant validation and ego salving through sex with plenty of different males in order to prove to herself that she's sexually attractive, and hence to make her feel better about herself. High esteem women do not need this kind of external validation.

Secondly, by being a slut, she can sleep with higher quality genetic specimens (hypothetically improving her children's reproductive value) than she could otherwise be able to have long-term (i.e. an attractive male will be willing to pump and dump her, but he'll have no interest in a long term relationship because she is not good enough for him).
    (However, this second idea is probably unconscious: a psychological adaptation that promotes such behaviour to aid the woman's genes)
    Last edited by The_Reaper; 09-29-2009 at 05:44 AM. Reason: typos

DoubtErased is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DoubtErased is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DoubtErased is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DoubtErased is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DoubtErased is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DoubtErased is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DoubtErased is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DoubtErased is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DoubtErased is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DoubtErased is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DoubtErased is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Same psychologists that said Homosexuality was an illness

The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ImFromDuval View Post
    Same psychologists that said Homosexuality was an illness
    Not all psychologists are created equal. One of them said we want to fuck our mothers.

DoubtErased is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DoubtErased is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DoubtErased is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DoubtErased is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DoubtErased is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DoubtErased is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DoubtErased is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DoubtErased is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DoubtErased is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DoubtErased is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DoubtErased is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by The_Reaper View Post
    Not all psychologists are created equal. One of them said we want to fuck our mothers.
    I was kidding around. I rarely trust what they have to say

I was kidding around. I rarely trust what they have to say
    Wise to be sceptical.

However, in this case it's an empirical correlation. That just means that women who are promiscuous have been found to also have low self esteem. It's just a fact. However, it doesn't mean the low self-esteem causes the promiscuity, because "correlation does not equal causation". But I think the evidence strongly suggests that low self-esteem is the root cause of promiscuity in women.

Wise to be sceptical.

However, in this case it's an empirical correlation. That just means that women who are promiscuous have been found to also have low self esteem. It's just a fact. However, it doesn't mean the low self-esteem causes the promiscuity, because "correlation does not equal causation". But I think the evidence strongly suggests that low self-esteem is the root cause of promiscuity in women.
    Then it should be low self esteem for men and women.

smooth_as_silk will become famous soon enough. (+50) smooth_as_silk will become famous soon enough. (+50) smooth_as_silk will become famous soon enough. (+50) smooth_as_silk will become famous soon enough. (+50) smooth_as_silk will become famous soon enough. (+50) smooth_as_silk will become famous soon enough. (+50) smooth_as_silk will become famous soon enough. (+50) smooth_as_silk will become famous soon enough. (+50) smooth_as_silk will become famous soon enough. (+50) smooth_as_silk will become famous soon enough. (+50) smooth_as_silk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    how do I find low self-esteem woemn for sex?

Bodymore, Murderland. YARDGORILLA's Avatar
    YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Wise to be sceptical.

In fact, if you subscribe to this theory, the root cause of the low self-esteem is the actual catalyst of the promiscuity.
    Gay Friendly(no homo)-/Black Friendly(no racist)-/Hick Friendly(no inbred)
    "It all began in Afrika"

Then it should be low self esteem for men and women.
    Nope. Like I said in the OP, there's an opposite correlation for men. Another fact. Not an opinion.

Who paid for this floor? slowteg's Avatar
    slowteg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slowteg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slowteg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slowteg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slowteg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slowteg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slowteg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slowteg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slowteg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slowteg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slowteg is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by smooth_as_silk View Post
    serious were do i sign up
    11B

US soccer

How was the study done and on what test subjects?

justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    then i must have really high self esteem... haha, actually i did until i got into this relationship (not really his fault).

YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Nope. Like I said in the OP, there's an opposite correlation for men. Another fact. Not an opinion.
    It is a broad sweeping generalization that does in one form or another apply to a large number of people. It is not a fact per se. There are too many other complex variables that come into play in one's psycho-sexual development. Promisucity or lack there of, are a highly complex and personally evolved map of a person's pshcyological landscape.
    "It all began in Afrika"

Originally Posted by smooth_as_silk View Post
    Ask your mom.

How was the study done and on what test subjects?
    Look up some of David Buss's work on the subject.

Originally Posted by YARDGORILLA View Post
    It is a broad sweeping generalization that does in one form or another apply to a large number of people. It is not a fact per se. There are too many other complex variables that come into play in one's psycho-sexual development. Promisucity or lack there of, are a highly complex and personally evolved map of a person's pshcyological landscape.
    It's a pretty solid correlation. There are other factors at work too, yes, but this pinpoints an important one.

kineticforce has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kineticforce has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kineticforce has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kineticforce has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kineticforce has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kineticforce has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kineticforce has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kineticforce has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kineticforce has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kineticforce has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kineticforce has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    according to wiki answers you may be incorrect - LOL
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_a_wom...se_promiscuity

edit: where is this study/article????

GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000)
    Secondly, by being a slut, she can sleep with higher quality genetic specimens (hypothetically improving her children's reproductive value) than she could otherwise be able to have long-term (i.e. an attractive male will be willing to pump and dump her, but he'll have no interest in a long term relationship because she is not good enough for him).
    lolwut

not necessarily
    domari nolo

I think the study is bull****. Its way too easy just to lie and say "oh I have only slept with three dudes" when in fact its more like 65 dudes.

In fact, if you subscribe to this theory, the root cause of the low self-esteem is the actual catalyst of the promiscuity.
    Originally Posted by kineticforce View Post
    according to wiki answers you may be incorrect - LOL
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_a_wom...se_promiscuity

edit: where is this study/article????
    wiki(lulz) There is a study to show which ever results you wish to present in psychology.
    Look, he made a statement that has some valid points. It is not a fact. Take for instance a female who is molested as a child. That female will in the majority of cases have a very promiscous or very frigid sex life. How does this so-called "fact" apply here? It poses quite a problem actually due to the complex nature of each individual's development. What came first, the low self-esteem, or the cause of the low self esteem? Each person's carnal desires are driven by physical as well as psychological factors, differing in all of us.
    For instance, each of our bodies metabolisms; protein synthesis and fat metabolism differ. Giving each of us a different body composition. Our bodies then shape our self-image and self-esteem. How are bodies are perceived and treated by others are also influenced by their own psychological and biological factors. Variables are vast and complex. However, the route causes of everything are generally originate out of our childhood and adolsesence.
    "It all began in Afrika"

Originally Posted by GoutDeMiel View Post
    lolwut

not necessarily
    What don't you understand?

Tiffany Wantsmore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tiffany Wantsmore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tiffany Wantsmore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tiffany Wantsmore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tiffany Wantsmore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tiffany Wantsmore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tiffany Wantsmore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tiffany Wantsmore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tiffany Wantsmore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tiffany Wantsmore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tiffany Wantsmore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It does make sense, and it probably is true in many cases. Everyone likes to be held and feel loved, and lots of girls sleep around to get that feeling. It can't be said that it's true in every case, of course.

As for men being the opposite, that also makes sense. Guys who pull a lot obviously feel more attractive and thus their self-esteem grows. We all know its harder for men to get sex than women.
    **** Atheist Alliance ****

**Holds metal part of the car door awkwardly in order to avoid static shock crew**
    **Sometimes I have the girl version of wet dreams crew**
    **Anti-circumcision/Pro-foreskin crew**

wiki(lulz) There is a study to show which ever results you wish to present in psychology.
    Look, he made a statement that has some valid points. It is not a fact. Take for instance a female who is molested as a child. That female will in the majority of cases have a very promiscous or very frigid sex life. How does this so-called "fact" apply here? It poses quite a problem actually due to the complex nature of each individual's development. What came first, the low self-esteem, or the cause of the low self esteem? Each person's carnal desires are driven by physical as well as psychological factors, differing in all of us.
    For instance, each of our bodies metabolisms; protein synthesis and fat metabolism differ. Giving each of us a different body composition. Our bodies then shape our self-image and self-esteem. How are bodies are perceived and treated by others are also influenced by their own psychological and biological factors. Variables are vast and complex. However, the route causes of everything are generally originate out of our childhood and adolsesence.
    You're over complicating a simple correlation. No one is saying that low self-esteem is a simple thing; obviously, understanding how such low self-esteem came about requires a knowledge of complicated and individualised personal histories, not to mention genetics and individual brain biochemistry.

However: women who score poorly on tests for self-esteem have been correlated with more promiscuous behaviour. The correlation in the studies is a fact. The interpretation is not; that's a theory. And I think it's a pretty powerful theory.

Ecnewyx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ecnewyx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ecnewyx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ecnewyx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ecnewyx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ecnewyx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ecnewyx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ecnewyx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ecnewyx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ecnewyx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ecnewyx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    So... someone needs to get their hands on the names of subjects examined in this study.
    ~ Never Having Kids So Can Save Up For a 4K TV and a PLP Computer Setup Crew ~

Originally Posted by Tiffany Wantsmore View Post
    It does make sense, and it probably is true in many cases. Everyone likes to be held and feel loved, and lots of girls sleep around to get that feeling. It can't be said that it's true in every case, of course.

As for men being the opposite, that also makes sense. Guys who pull a lot obviously feel more attractive and thus their self-esteem grows. We all know its harder for men to get sex than women.
    You're right. And to say it can't be true in every case does not disprove the theory, just as saying "fat women have lower self-esteem" would not be disproved by a fat woman who has high self-esteem.

It's a reliable average.

You're over complicating a simple correlation. No one is saying that low self-esteem is a simple thing; obviously, understanding how such low self-esteem came about requires a knowledge of complicated and individualised personal histories, not to mention genetics and individual brain biochemistry.

However: women who score poorly on tests for self-esteem have been correlated with more promiscuous behaviour. The correlation in the studies is a fact. The interpretation is not; that's a theory. And I think it's a pretty powerful theory.
    However: women who score coke when they are low on money have been correlated with more promiscuous behaviour. The correlation in the studies is as much a fact. The interpretation is not; that's a theory. And I think it's a pretty powerful theory.
    "It all began in Afrika"

However: women who score coke when they are low on money have been correlated with more promiscuous behaviour. The correlation in the studies is as much a fact. The interpretation is not; that's a theory. And I think it's a pretty powerful theory.
    Hold on, score coke when they're low on money?

I said it before and I will say it again. The study is flaw because there is no way u can tell how many guys a woman has truly slept with

I said it before and I will say it again. The study is flaw because there is no way u can tell how many guys a woman has truly slept with
    Discrepancies from girls lying becomes balanced out with large samples as some striking patterns emerge. Not every single woman is going to lie or grossly exaggerate. Many of them, in the studies (discreet questionnaires - nobody but her will know) do admit to very high numbers of partners.
    And a pattern emerges: such women tend to prefer short term relationships to long term.

Anyway, some studies:

David Buss, Short Term Mating Strategies, in the university textbook to Evolutionary Psychology, p184-185 for a summary

S.M. Mikach and Bailey (1999), "What distinguishes women with unusually high numbers of sex partners?" Evolution and Human Behaviour, 20, 141-50.

http://seis.bris.ac.uk/~psapc/pdfs/Clark%282004%29.pdf

Discrepancies from girls lying becomes balanced out with large samples as some striking patterns emerge. Not every single woman is going to lie or grossly exaggerate. Many of them, in the studies (discreet questionnaires - nobody but her will know) do admit to very high numbers of partners.
    And a pattern emerges: such women tend to prefer short term relationships to long term.

Anyway, some studies:

David Buss, Short Term Mating Strategies, in the university textbook to Evolutionary Psychology, p184-185 for a summary

S.M. Mikach and Bailey (1999), "What distinguishes women with unusually high numbers of sex partners?" Evolution and Human Behaviour, 20, 141-50.

http://seis.bris.ac.uk/~psapc/pdfs/Clark%282004%29.pdf
    Oh hes in the UK....No wonder

wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No.

Generalization can be applied here, with the variable being an exception to the rule.

Men with high self esteem don't neccesarily sleep around. Before I started having issues with depression, i was happy living my life for myself and didn't put in my effort into railing chicks even tho i had amazingly high confidence and i could have railed MANY. But, I am eccentric, so who knows lol.

Oh hes in the UK....No wonder
    So, UK women are whores in ways that American women are not?

The participants came from a European background, and it was at a Canadian university.