bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Rippetoe/Starting Strength Online Warm-Up Calculator

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...ER4XCPIw&hl=en

Instructions:
    1) Follow the link.
    2) Select the "File" button in the left hand corner.
    3) From the drop-down menu select "Copy spreadsheet."
    4) Click "OK" on the Dialog Box.

This tool isn't just for Starting Strength trainees, but for anyone who wants an incremental warm-up for the Squat, Bench, Press, Deadlift, Powerclean and Row.

Sets 1-4 are to warm up, set 5 is the workset. In 'Starting Strength,' MR provides an example template of the warm-ups for each exercise and my calculator attempts to remain faithful to it. With all exercises (with the possible exception of the Deadlift) the first two sets are warmed-up with an empty barbell for 2 sets of 5, and the following 3 sets are incremental percentages of the workset (ie. 40%-60%-80%). You can rest as much or as little in between warm-up sets as you desire but I usually find the time it takes to swap out the weights is adequate.

The only exercise I took any liberties of my own with is the Deadlift. I lowered the warm-up sets/volume because 1) Those muscles were already warmed from the Squats 2) It became a lot of volume once you hit the heavier weights.

The warm-up is important not only to prepare the muscles for the impending maximal load, it's also to get some extra technique practice in. This becomes especially important with Squats, Deadlifts and Power Cleans, where technique deteriorates as weight increases.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by bango skank; 04-04-2008 at 06:27 PM.

bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've attached a downloadable Excel version of the spreadsheet, but it requires Excel (obviously).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bango skank; 04-04-2008 at 06:40 PM.

aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    linky no worky

mkelly09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mkelly09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mkelly09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mkelly09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mkelly09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mkelly09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mkelly09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mkelly09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mkelly09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mkelly09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mkelly09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The link works, but i can't seem to edit the spreadsheet. I'm assuming this was made so people can put in their work set weight and the warmups will be automatically calculated? Cool idea, but again the spreadsheet is read only.

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I don't have a Google account and don't feel like creating one, so I can't get it.

Bryce Hicks is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bryce Hicks is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bryce Hicks is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bryce Hicks is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bryce Hicks is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bryce Hicks is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bryce Hicks is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bryce Hicks is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bryce Hicks is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bryce Hicks is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bryce Hicks is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    yea you can't edit the numbers because its read only.

JY_21 is a name known to all. (+5000) JY_21 is a name known to all. (+5000) JY_21 is a name known to all. (+5000) JY_21 is a name known to all. (+5000) JY_21 is a name known to all. (+5000) JY_21 is a name known to all. (+5000) JY_21 is a name known to all. (+5000) JY_21 is a name known to all. (+5000) JY_21 is a name known to all. (+5000) JY_21 is a name known to all. (+5000) JY_21 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    works fine for me.
    u gotta open it with google. then like save it onto ur comp by .xls form
    then once u have it saved onto ur comp u can edit it

damn... it might not be possible to make it a read/write doc.... I can invite collaborators but I don't think just anyone can collaborate. I'll keep trying though. Sorry for the false hope!
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166936131

nydude1814 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nydude1814 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nydude1814 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nydude1814 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nydude1814 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nydude1814 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nydude1814 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nydude1814 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nydude1814 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nydude1814 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nydude1814 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Works great, you can do "File -> Copy Spreadsheet" and then you have your own copy which is editable.

You should move power clean into the 2nd row besides squat, so that entire thing prints on single page, and add instructions in bold on top to do "File->Copy Spreadsheet" in order for people to use it.
    Last edited by nydude1814; 04-04-2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: s/Save as copy/Copy spreadsheet

DarkFlames will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkFlames will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkFlames will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkFlames will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkFlames will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkFlames will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkFlames will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkFlames will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkFlames will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkFlames will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkFlames will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Nice it works great but...

Is that how the workout goes?

1st weight-----2 Sets------5 reps
    2nd weight---- 1 Sets------5 reps
    3rd weight-----1 set -------3 reps
    4th weight-----1 set--------2 reps
    5th weight-----3 sets-------5 reps.

If so i'v been doing the program wrong (not trying to hijack just making sure)

Originally Posted by nydude1814 View Post
    Works great, you can do "File -> Copy Spreadsheet" and then you have your own copy which is editable.

You should move power clean into the 2nd row besides squat, so that entire thing prints on single page, and add instructions in bold on top to do "File->Copy Spreadsheet" in order for people to use it.
    Great! Glad to hear it's working! I will add the instructions as you've suggested. I'll leave any other editing to the individual.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by DarkFlames View Post
    Nice it works great but...

Is that how the workout goes?

1st weight-----2 Sets------5 reps
    2nd weight---- 1 Sets------5 reps
    3rd weight-----1 set -------3 reps
    4th weight-----1 set--------2 reps
    5th weight-----3 sets-------5 reps.

If so i'v been doing the program wrong (not trying to hijack just making sure)
    Yup, sets 1-4 are to warm up, set 5 is the workset. In 'Starting Strength,' MR provides an example template of the warm-ups for each exercise and my calculator attempts to remain faithful to it. With all exercises (with the possible exception of the Deadlift) the first two sets are warmed-up with the bar for 2 sets of 5, and the following 3 sets are incremental percentages of the workset (ie. 40%-60%-80%). You can rest as much or as little in between warm-up sets as you desire but I usually find the time it takes to swap out the weights is adequate.

The only exercise I took any liberties of my own with is the Deadlift. I lowered the warm-up sets/volume because 1) Those muscles were already warmed from the Squats 2) It became a lot of volume once you hit the heavier weights.

The warm-up is important not only to prepare the muscles for the impending maximal load, it's also to get some extra technique practice in. This becomes especially important with Squats, Deadlifts and Power Cleans, where technique deteriorates as weight increases.

I have always warmed up following this prescription and it's been very satisfactory for me.

(I'm gonna copy and paste this post above.)
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Rippetoe also states taht "most people will need to select three to five warmup sets, depending on the work set weight...". SS 2nd edition page 292

You don't necessarily have to use X number of warmup sets.

DarkFlames will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkFlames will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkFlames will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkFlames will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkFlames will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkFlames will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkFlames will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkFlames will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkFlames will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkFlames will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkFlames will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bango skank View Post
    Great! Glad to hear it's working! I will add the instructions as you've suggested. I'll leave any other editing to the individual.

Thanks!

Yup, sets 1-4 are to warm up, set 5 is the workset. In 'Starting Strength,' MR provides an example template of the warm-ups for each exercise and my calculator attempts to remain faithful to it. With all exercises (with the possible exception of the Deadlift) the first two sets are warmed-up with the bar for 2 sets of 5, and the following 3 sets are incremental percentages of the workset (ie. 40%-60%-80%). You can rest as much or as little in between warm-up sets as you desire but I usually find the time it takes to swap out the weights is adequate.

I have always warmed up following this prescription and it's been very satisfactory for me.

(I'm gonna copy and paste this post above.)
    son of a... iv been doing it wrong for like 2 weeks!!!!! (good thing i went on break and was trying to get my strength back up) Do you happen to have the link? Iv been doing it like Squat, bench, cleans, and military 3 sets of 5 reps for each one. and 1 set of 5 reps for deadlifts.

A
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift

B
    Squat
    Cleans
    Military

Alternate between those...

Maybe there are 2 different versions?
    Last edited by DarkFlames; 04-04-2008 at 07:32 PM.

Mousey is just really nice. (+1000) Mousey is just really nice. (+1000) Mousey is just really nice. (+1000) Mousey is just really nice. (+1000) Mousey is just really nice. (+1000) Mousey is just really nice. (+1000) Mousey is just really nice. (+1000) Mousey is just really nice. (+1000) Mousey is just really nice. (+1000) Mousey is just really nice. (+1000) Mousey is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    Rippetoe also states taht "most people will need to select three to five warmup sets, depending on the work set weight...". SS 2nd edition page 292

You don't necessarily have to use X number of warmup sets.
    true... i always do a 6-4-2 warm-up increasing in weights... this has beenw orking great for me. people should do what feels good for them and what has worked for them in the past.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5052493&p=86319183#post86319183

son of a... iv been doing it wrong for like 2 weeks!!!!!

A
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

B
    Squat 3x5
    Military 3x5
    Power Cleans 5x3

There are other versions, but we're talking about the same version and you basically had it right.

Just to review:

3-5 warmup sets, then 3 worksets of 5 repetitions for the Squat, Bench, and Miltary Press. 5 worksets of 3 for the Power Clean. 1 Workset of 5 for the Deadlift.

Class dismissed.
    -Don Vito Corleone

Bugsy_Malone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy_Malone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy_Malone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy_Malone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy_Malone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy_Malone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy_Malone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy_Malone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy_Malone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy_Malone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy_Malone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    son of a... iv been doing it wrong for like 2 weeks!!!!! (good thing i went on break and was trying to get my strength back up) Do you happen to have the link? Iv been doing it like Squat, bench, cleans, and military 3 sets of 5 reps for each one. and 1 set of 5 reps for deadlifts.

A
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift

B
    Squat
    Cleans
    Military

Maybe there are 2 different versions?
    What you've typed out here is the actual workout!!

This thread is discussing warmups.

If you've done the above for 2 weeks as you're workouts, you're doing it right!

Originally Posted by Bugsy_Malone View Post
    What you've typed out here is the actual workout!!

This thread is discussing warmups.

If you've done the above for 2 weeks as you're workouts, you're doing it right!
    Actually, he had a couple things switched around, but basically, yeah, that's the workout.
    -Don Vito Corleone

Jerm08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jerm08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jerm08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jerm08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jerm08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jerm08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jerm08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jerm08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jerm08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jerm08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jerm08 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bango skank View Post
    I've attached a downloadable Excel version of the spreadsheet, but it requires Excel (obviously).
    Thanks, this helps a lot

tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Am I correct in thinking that once you do warm up sets for the squat and then carry out the work sets for the squat... then you don't need to do warm up sets for any other exercise? You just go straight into the other work sets for bench presses etc? Or do you warm up for each individual exercise?

Originally Posted by tehmac View Post
    Or do you warm up for each individual exercise?
    That's how the warm-up calculator is set up, and that's what I do personally... and I think it's a good idea to.
    Remember; it's not just to warm-up, it:

1) Gives you additional technique practice (that won't break down under the weight)
    2) Tells your CNS to expect heavier weights
    3) AND warms you up

But it's up to you.
    -Don Vito Corleone

Originally Posted by tehmac View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that once you do warm up sets for the squat and then carry out the work sets for the squat... then you don't need to do warm up sets for any other exercise? You just go straight into the other work sets for bench presses etc? Or do you warm up for each individual exercise?
    No, you warm up for every excercise.

In fact, you begin each excercise (not deads) with an empty bar. Every time.

jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah ... I mean look at the exercises they are all different and you need to get everything working together in the proper fashion for each exercise. If say incline bench and flat bench where in the same workout you wouldn't have to warmup for both but thats not the way the program is layed out.
    =============================================
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!
    =============================================

JohnnyGunn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyGunn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyGunn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyGunn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyGunn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyGunn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyGunn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyGunn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyGunn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyGunn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyGunn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bumping this old-ass thread as it seems like it'd still be super useful.
    Do you guys think the calculator's an accurate idea of what your warm-up sets should entail? If you do I'll be using it from now on. I'd ask Bango himself but I don't know how active he is these days.