Thread: Kyphosis

spikey155 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Kyphosis

Hi i'm a 24 year old male with postural kyphosis who lifts weights two or three times a week. mainly i do squats and dumbell curls and also use the tricep bar for vertical rows. Anyway i am worried that lifting heavy weights could make my kyphosis worse. Is this likely or possible? Should someone with kyphosis be lifting weights? I find it hard to keep good posture whilst doing squats etc. Please help.

RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Based on the fact that a kyphosis means an increased curvature of the spine towards your abdomen, and generally occurs at the lumbar spine, then I would suggest working on your spine's postural muscles (such as the multifidii) as well as the larger back muscle groups.

Perhaps a lifting belt would help for heavier weight loads to give you support to maintain good form?
    "Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength"