sprucio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Trying to cut belly fat (while trying to gain muscle)

I've done a tremendous amount of research on what I can do to lose my belly fat. From what I understand, you need to do these things:

1. Eat in smaller portions
    2. Cut down on calories
    3. Exercise.

The hardest part to this is that I'm trying to gain mass. From what I understand, you need to:

1. Eat frequently in small portions
    2. Take in more calories than you can burn
    3. Exercise.

Obviously, steps 2 on both of the list contradict each other. I'm pretty thin everywhere and I'm noticing that my belly fat is slowly growing. I'd like to get my six pack back but I'm not sure what I can do to achieve this goal.

One thing I thought was about hitting the gym early in the morning and doing sprints for about 20 minutes. This way, I burn off any fat that I have in my body.

Can anyone give me pointers as to what I can do to satisfy both needs?

sonofaresiii has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sonofaresiii has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    gaining muscle and cutting fat is highly NOT recommended. it's hard to do, requires a TON of discipline, and isn't as effective. Gain muscle first, then cut the fat. Because, as you've noted, you can't both reduce calories and consume more calories. if you're really fat and don't exercise at all, then just exercising and dieting will both cut fat and gain muscle. but when you get to a decent part, you need to pick one or the other.

2k5 Rex will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2k5 Rex will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2k5 Rex will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2k5 Rex will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2k5 Rex will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2k5 Rex will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2k5 Rex will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2k5 Rex will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2k5 Rex will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2k5 Rex will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2k5 Rex will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Give the V Diet a shot... many people have the ability to lose weight AND gain muscle.

Here is my log with some info and links... keep in mind, this isn't a long term strategy, more of a jump start. Anabolic diet seems like the ideal transfer for me at this point in time.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=106627861

skyxliner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    usually people train up with muscles until the size they like and then lose weight+maintain muscles as much as possible.

steel-tek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steel-tek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steel-tek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steel-tek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steel-tek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steel-tek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steel-tek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steel-tek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steel-tek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steel-tek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steel-tek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    how clean is your diet? train hard (with weights), and a clean diet may provide muscle gain and fat loss, dont expect anything dramatic while trying to kill two birds with one stone though.
    my cutting diet log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=106709101

muss2k1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muss2k1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muss2k1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muss2k1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muss2k1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muss2k1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muss2k1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muss2k1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muss2k1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muss2k1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muss2k1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dude, i am in your EXACT position. I've never bulked in my life, and this is my first cut...it's going extremely well but i do want to get bigger...i am putting on a significant amount of muscle due to newbie gains but i think that gravy train is ending or has already ended because i am putting on muscle much, much slower now.

I put my pics up and many people say BULK, and fewer say keep cutting. I decided that I will complete a phase before jumping in the next one. I will continue to cut until my gut is gone. I don't want to get muscular and still have a gut.

So if you want my opinion, if you're in a phase (whether cut or bulk) do it until you're completely happy. If your cut involved getting rid of fat from your chest, stomach, love handles etc but you hit everywhere except the gut, then keep going. At least when you bulk, you won't have to stare at that unwanted fat especially the stomach one which tends to stare back!

Just my two cents, people will probably disagree

JonZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JonZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JonZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JonZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JonZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JonZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JonZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JonZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JonZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JonZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JonZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ive never agreed with most on this subject.

Theyll gain fat & muscle bulking and then cut, but are willing to accept loosing some muscle with cutting. Huh?

Why not gain mucle cleanly in the first place,gaining less fat,even if its a little slower than theyd like.

A good HIT routine 3 or 4 times a week, cardio a few times a week (around 45-a hour induration), 1G of proterin for every kg of lean bodyweight(if you have a fast metabolism you can eat more, if not -DONT),no sugar, lots of water, eat 6 meals of good clean food a day focusing on protein

You should see weigth come off if you eat cleanly and hit the weights.

Dont go my the scale, but by your appearance in the mirror.
    Last edited by JonZ; 04-02-2008 at 08:27 AM.
    " The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog"
    - Mark Twain

WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Try HIIT. Also you may want to look into KETO dieting. It is supposed to be one of the best ways to lose fat while retaining muscle. If you do it right you could even gain.

sprucio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks

Wow. Thanks for all your responses.

My belly fat has been bothering me for sometime and it's time I really do something to get rid of this. I do crazy situps, crunches, captains' chair and so on and so forth. The fat is still covering up the six pack (or what I think is under there).

I thought by running early in the morning, I could burn up the stomach fat. Then I'd hit the gym in the afternoon for muscle building.

My diet right now is pretty good but it can be better. One thing I've noticed is that I need to start bringing lunch from home as it is very difficult to get a well balanced meal at work.

Rehab-in has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rehab-in has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rehab-in has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rehab-in has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rehab-in has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rehab-in has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rehab-in has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rehab-in has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rehab-in has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rehab-in has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rehab-in has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by sprucio View Post
    Wow. Thanks for all your responses.

My belly fat has been bothering me for sometime and it's time I really do something to get rid of this. I do crazy situps, crunches, captains' chair and so on and so forth. The fat is still covering up the six pack (or what I think is under there).

I thought by running early in the morning, I could burn up the stomach fat. Then I'd hit the gym in the afternoon for muscle building.

My diet right now is pretty good but it can be better. One thing I've noticed is that I need to start bringing lunch from home as it is very difficult to get a well balanced meal at work.
    Keep up the work man, you'll start to see results. I feel ya about the lunchtime issues. Maybe go for a salad, that's generally my stand by when I don't bring lunch.

Also, I could be completely wrong on this... But, I have heard people say that they refrain from intense core exerices until their body fat % is lower, then turn up the intensity. If your bf % is high enough to cover up your abs, I think you should address that before trying to beef up your core. Just an idea.