NickS524 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question effects of donating plasma on your lift

I just started donating my plasma. Has anyone ever done this before for extra cash? Do you know if it has any negative effects on your lifting performance?

This is what is done...

"Donating plasma is similar to giving blood - except that the only part of your blood that your body must replace is the plasma. The red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets are all returned to you. The blood is removed through a needle inserted in a vein in your arm. It passes into a sterile, self-contained system that separates the plasma from the other components of the blood. This process is called PLASMAPHERESIS. The non-plasma components are returned to you through the same needle. At no time is your blood exposed to open air; nor does it leave the sterile, enclosed environment of the plasmapheresis system. Further, as you?ve seen in doctors? offices and hospitals, all of the supplies used in DCI?s plasmapheresis centers come in sealed, sterile, one-time-use packages. The supplies used in drawing your donation are disposed of immediately after use. A fresh package is used for each donor."

AGAIN... ANYONE EVER DO THIS AND NOTICE ANY EFFECTS ON YOUR LIFT?

THANKS!

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I donated plasma for cash while in school in TX...I made really good physique progress those years. I was doing it only twice a month at the most. The people who did it 2x/week every week were looking rather pale and sickly after a couple months.

I do feel that when I donated whole blood 5x/year that it hindered my results.
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

Question

anyone else?

FullOut19 is just really nice. (+1000) FullOut19 is just really nice. (+1000) FullOut19 is just really nice. (+1000) FullOut19 is just really nice. (+1000) FullOut19 is just really nice. (+1000) FullOut19 is just really nice. (+1000) FullOut19 is just really nice. (+1000) FullOut19 is just really nice. (+1000) FullOut19 is just really nice. (+1000) FullOut19 is just really nice. (+1000) FullOut19 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I heard you feel like **** for a few days after donating plasma. IMO not worth it for a measly 25-50 bucks.

I wouldnt recommend lifting after doing it for at least 24hrs.
    Winners Make Things Happen, Losers Let Things Happen...

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJournals.html?Owner=JUrb15

Dysfunctional Strength Entkommen115's Avatar
    Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Donating plasma is not a big deal. As you may know plasma is most all of the serum in your blood stream EXCEPT for the red blood cells. Most of this serum is composed of water and some amino acids and is replaced relatively fast (within the next 48 hours tops). Donating plasma will not hinder your lifting much at all as long as you give it about a day of rest. Donating blood on the other hand is a completely different story. It can take the body months to replace a singe pint.
    "Clit stimulation if your fingers are dry is not a good idea. The clit is more sensitive than the underside of a guy's penis, apparently.

Good rule of thumb: make sure you're fingers aren't dry before they go anywhere NEAR her clit/pussy.

Also, besides myself, maybe 2-3 of you have actually done anything like this before..."

-Daniel Beauchamp

Question

i have donated in the mornings around 8:30 and lifted the same day in the afternoon around 4:00. I feel pretty much the same. However, should I not lift the same day?

Dysfunctional Strength Entkommen115's Avatar
    Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey even better. If you feel good enough and there is no problem in your performance then don't even worry about it. It always varies from person to person and if it doesn't bother you then no problem.
    "Clit stimulation if your fingers are dry is not a good idea. The clit is more sensitive than the underside of a guy's penis, apparently.

Good rule of thumb: make sure you're fingers aren't dry before they go anywhere NEAR her clit/pussy.

Also, besides myself, maybe 2-3 of you have actually done anything like this before..."

-Daniel Beauchamp

Beware the human within ShadowClutch's Avatar
    ShadowClutch is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowClutch is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowClutch is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowClutch is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowClutch is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowClutch is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowClutch is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowClutch is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowClutch is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowClutch is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowClutch is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm curious as to this as well. I used to donate plasma 8x a month, drink LOTS of water and would work out between 2-5 hours after. However, I have noticed different results in my workouts when I take a month off of donating. But I also changed other variables: going from just post workout whey protein to preworkout creatine + post-whey. I haven't donated in over 2 months and I've recently been progressing rather well in gym.

Despite a financial pinch, I'm going to try and avoid the donation center until I find concrete evidence that plasmapheresis won't hinder a workout routine.

michael-paul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ShadowClutch View Post
    I'm curious as to this as well. I used to donate plasma 8x a month, drink LOTS of water and would work out between 2-5 hours after. However, I have noticed different results in my workouts when I take a month off of donating. But I also changed other variables: going from just post workout whey protein to preworkout creatine + post-whey. I haven't donated in over 2 months and I've recently been progressing rather well in gym.

Despite a financial pinch, I'm going to try and avoid the donation center until I find concrete evidence that plasmapheresis won't hinder a workout routine.
    Shadow Clutch let me know what you find out. I'm going to donate 2x week to pay for supplements.

Strive6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Strive6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Strive6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Strive6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Strive6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Strive6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Strive6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Strive6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Strive6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Strive6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Strive6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by michael-paul View Post
    Shadow Clutch let me know what you find out. I'm going to donate 2x week to pay for supplements.
    I work at a plasma center and I've gotta say there are some pretty ripped guys who come in to donate 2x/week.

My guess is that donating would have a minimal effect on your performance in the gym if you:
    - work out early in the morning and donate later at night, or
    - donate on off days

Regardless, making sure to consume an extra meal and scoop or 2 or protein should minimize any hindering effect that the temporary nutrient shortage would have on skeletal muscle.

As always, DRINK A TON OF WATER

plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000)
    Gave plasma twice last week. Other than some bruising on the inside of my elbow, no other ill effects. Any one else do this?
    currently cutting..... again!!

"most people have absolutely no idea what they're capable of" --me

Beware the human within ShadowClutch's Avatar
    ShadowClutch is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowClutch is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowClutch is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowClutch is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowClutch is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowClutch is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowClutch is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowClutch is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowClutch is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowClutch is just really nice. (+1000) ShadowClutch is just really nice. (+1000)
    As mentioned already. Drink a lot of water and eat before/after, you should be fine. The place I go to basically takes 880mL of plasma from me and adds 500mL of Saline solution afterwards. So there's ~280mL of fluid missing after the whole process, give or take whatever is left and unaccounted for in the tubes. If you hydrate yourself enough prior to donating (hematocrit ~42%) then you should be fine.

Drink a gallon of water the day before, then eat a solid meal before you donate and a good snack after.

dfrisch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What if your taking a pre-workout supplement, like say.. PlasmaJet. What effects would that have on giving plasma? Is it advised?

Registered User newzealandboy85's Avatar
    newzealandboy85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dfrisch View Post
    What if your taking a pre-workout supplement, like say.. PlasmaJet. What effects would that have on giving plasma? Is it advised?
    Pre-workouts contain l-arginine, an amino acid precursor to nitric oxide. They are vasodilators which allow more blood flow. A common problem with plasma donating is a hematoma. This usually happens during the "return cycle" when the machine puts the red blood cells back into your vein. Sometimes, platelets can stick together, forming a bloodclot and the vein (usually at puncture site) will swell. When your veins are channeling more blood flow, the risk of a hematoma is pretty much non-existent.

If any effect, I'd say that a pre-workout would minimize this unwanted side effect. This is also why they don't recommend you to eat greasy, fried foods beforehand. This increases the fat in your blood (which none of us want ) and is a contributing factor for these types of hematomas.

Sorry for the long answer, but no, there are no bad effects of l-arginine preworkouts and plasma donating. I have taken MRI black powder, Cellucor C4, & Gaspari's Plasmajet (not combined of course ;-) ) and donate 2x/wk. No effects whatsoever. Hope this helps some.

Some say "No pain, no gain."...? With the right amino acid profile, you can feel very little to no pain following an intense workout. "No REST, no gain is more like it! ;-)

ethanhuckeba42 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ethanhuckeba42 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ethanhuckeba42 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i try and only donate once a week, but what i would recommend is workout in the morning and then go donate the plasma in the afternoon. however, make sure you are drinking a lot of water. especially that day. and since the protein is taken from the blood, eat a high protein meal RIGH after you donate along with a big jug of water throughout the rest of your day.

djfourmoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) djfourmoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I had no ill effects thus far, I am in a program where I get paid more and I go twice a week. I am on the last day before my final day off and start on week two on Sunday. Just to give you an idea, after I donate a few weeks ago, I was between bus stops and had to run to catch the bus after donating. Needless to say I almost passed out...

I have to donate today but the clinic closes in 2 hours as I write this, so I am going to go donate. I will have a shake as my mid-afternoon meal when I return and likely dinner. I'll try doing my mostly leg workout around 7-8pm (Gold's is open until 10pm) I should get there I hope by 8:30 and the workout takes only about an hour, so I should be fine.

Slaugh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slaugh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slaugh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slaugh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slaugh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slaugh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slaugh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slaugh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slaugh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slaugh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slaugh will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I know this post is way old, but i was wondering about this too and i got some info from the plasma center where i donate. Hopefully it's helpful to somebody.

Someone 110lbs-149lbs donates 690ml of plasma each session, which contains:

483.69 Calories
    49.51g protein
    63.65g carbs
    3.45g fat

150-174lbs donates 825ml of plasma each session, which contains:

578.33 Calories
    59.19g protein
    76.11g carbs
    4.13g fat

More than 175lbs donates 880ml of plasma each session, which contains:

616.88 Calories
    63.14g protein
    81.18g carbs
    4.40g fat

thats what your body loses apparently
    "Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

preston8888 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I donate plasma all the time i used to feel weird before and after until i realized that if i drink a protein shake before i donate i feel perfectly fine. And i haven't noticed any effect on my lifting. I think drinking a protein shake makes the donation go faster too.

fingolfin34 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fingolfin34 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fingolfin34 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fingolfin34 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fingolfin34 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fingolfin34 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fingolfin34 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fingolfin34 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fingolfin34 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fingolfin34 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fingolfin34 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I donate plasma twice a week. No lifting for the rest of the day afterward. Drink plenty of fluids and eat lots of protein. You will be doing both of these things anyway if you are already lifting. If you feel weird during the donation process, tell one of the workers at the center. They will give you some juice or cookies. You WILL feel hungry and thirsty afterward as well. The best thing to do is just eat and drink plenty.
    Enjoy your extra cash. Plasma donation is very important, so if you can do it, do it.
    Fin
    Lets not forget the real life side of things.
    I spent too many years hiding in addiction to let that crap ruin my life again.
    The greatest gift we can give others is the gift of help.

AuDre11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AuDre11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AuDre11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AuDre11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AuDre11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AuDre11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AuDre11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AuDre11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AuDre11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AuDre11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AuDre11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    bump
    --------------------
    Original Bruh

*We Outchea*Crew

AuDre11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AuDre11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AuDre11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AuDre11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AuDre11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AuDre11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AuDre11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AuDre11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AuDre11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AuDre11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AuDre11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    donation centers have the best movies no joke
    --------------------
    Original Bruh

*We Outchea*Crew

S3ID3L has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) S3ID3L has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) S3ID3L has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I started donating plasma Friday and sunday. If I still get about 200 of protein a day at 170 would I stop making gains

S3ID3L has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) S3ID3L has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) S3ID3L has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I started donating plasma Friday and sunday. If I get 200 of protein at 170 lbs will I stop making gains

SwoleBeaver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I have been giving plasma for almost three years

I have been giving plasma for about two and a half years and I do it quite regularly throughout school. During the summer I don't do it as much. I can not feel any effect and I don't think that it takes away any results of training. Make sure you eat before and after and you should be fine. I believe that my progress has improved at the same or similar pace while I have been giving and while I have not been..... and with my extra $250 a month I can buy more gainz bro!!!! pretty good gig especially if you are a poor college kid like me. I am 6 ft 3in and about 223 lbs and 10% BF right now and I feel like I am continuously improving.

cody333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cody333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cody333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cody333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cody333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cody333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cody333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cody333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cody333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cody333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cody333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Just donated plasma this morning and and a protein shake with roughly 20 ounces of whole milk beforehand. Right now I am drinking a quart of Kemps Chocolate milk with 36g protein and 800 calories. Will also drink plenty of water before I hit the gym and will make sure to post how it goes!
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=512279683#post5122796 83 (old)
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148193353&p=949490143#post949490143 (new)

Current PRs:
    Front Squat: 202.5 3x5, 210 3x3
    Bench Press: 220 3x5 (2/20/2012): 225x5 (4/28/2012): 245 x1 (5/4/2012)
    Strict Overhead Press: 150 x4 (4/21/2012)
    Back Squat: 280 x5 (3/9/2012): 305 x1 (5/4/2012)
    Power Clean: 165 5x3 (4/2/2012); 195x1 (4/13/2012)
    Deadlift: 320 x1 (1/27/2017)

cody333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cody333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cody333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cody333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cody333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cody333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cody333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cody333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cody333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cody333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cody333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by cody333 View Post
    Just donated plasma this morning and and a protein shake with roughly 20 ounces of whole milk beforehand. Right now I am drinking a quart of Kemps Chocolate milk with 36g protein and 800 calories. Will also drink plenty of water before I hit the gym and will make sure to post how it goes!
    Went to the gym about 3.5 hours after I donated and didn't feel any ill effects from donating. Did 275x5 on deadlift and 225 3x5 squats.
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=512279683#post5122796 83 (old)
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148193353&p=949490143#post949490143 (new)

Current PRs:
    Front Squat: 202.5 3x5, 210 3x3
    Bench Press: 220 3x5 (2/20/2012): 225x5 (4/28/2012): 245 x1 (5/4/2012)
    Strict Overhead Press: 150 x4 (4/21/2012)
    Back Squat: 280 x5 (3/9/2012): 305 x1 (5/4/2012)
    Power Clean: 165 5x3 (4/2/2012); 195x1 (4/13/2012)
    Deadlift: 320 x1 (1/27/2017)

Hoop10az has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lifting and Donating Plasma

I have been lifting and donating plasma for over 8 months and have really found that I strive harder to get my High Protein Macros in check. I have noticed that I feel better with a P28 Almond Butter/strawberry sandwich w/ protein milk and a Whey/Casein shake after. Also the lower your protein numbers the crappier you will feel after the donation process.
    The most important thing I have found is to WO (weights) early in the morning - I get 2liters of fluid in my 2hr WO, which I don't count as positive fluids. You should drink a full gallon of water before you donate. I know that seems like a lot, but lemons help with hydration too.

I try to have another heavy Protein meal up 1.5 hrs after - 4oz chicken and green beans and then a lemon yogurt before bed.

If you are watching your protein levels and eating clean, supplementing where you can, with what works, you shouldn't suffer ill affects from the donation process. I recently was deferred for 58 days for a loss of whole cells (kinked tubing and they return my red blood cells) and I haven't noticed anything different in my WO. I have even swam a mile 3 hrs before the process and a heavy leg day in the morning.

I would suggest that you make one of your days a REST/REFEED day. That is my second day, donating Tuesday and Thursday. Everyone has their little tricks and only you know your body!

If you take nothing away from this thread, take that you get your protein tested 2 times a week for free. ALWAYS drink AT LEAST 1 gallon of water before and the day after and 28grams of protein before and 28 grams of protein directly after.

GOOD LUCK!

PS: the reason I donate is to pay my VET bill for my little 4 legged WO partner, who had to have knee surgery.