installerdrew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need advice from people who know: PLEASE

Hello everyone!

Need some input. I'll try to keep this as short as possible, but please hear me out.

I'm a 36yr old, 5'8"ish, 145lb small framed guy. Always hovered around 130-140lbs tops. Well- kid, desk job and life in general quickly earned me a skinny fat "dad bod." Got up to 160lb and drew the line. Something had to give. Never lifted a day in my life- but roughly 15 months ago, I dove in. First 2 months was mainly changing diet and trying to figure out weight lifting. Spun my wheels basically, but did drop 20lbs. Finally somewhat educated myself about lifting and macros. Ultimately began Stronglifts 5x5 and followed it for roughly a year (with a few resets along the way.) I've made great progress. In the best shape of my life. Not huge by any stretch, but very pleased with the results.

So.... I've noticed more growth on my right side (everywhere) as compared to my left. Biceps not all that much, even though "I" can tell, but definitely in chest and quads. Mind you I stick strictly to the big lifts with free weights on barbell. I believe I'm fairly good with the mind/muscle connection. I really do focus on this, and as far as I can tell and feel, I'm not favoring my right side-making it do more work.

Which leads me to my main questions. I've read a lot on here and the net in general. I really like the basic, straight forward approach preached by guys like Medi, Mike Matthews, Radu(youtube), hell... even HodgeTwins advice for smaller guys. Now I'm not saying I do/don't buy into the body type debate (ecto, endo, meso).... but there is an overwhelming amount of threads and articles preaching that guys like me should stick to heavy compounds, 3x a week, short sessions, and eat. To be honest- this schedule is ideal for me also and I've loved it so for. It's worth noting I have slightly tweaked the program. Still same lifts, but 3 sets of 7-8 now instead of 5x5. And only squatting once per week now. I simply could no longer squat that heavy 3x a week. Just too damn taxing.

So in terms of my further progression and my uneven symmetry- I need some advice. I've read on this and the suggestions are all over the place. Some preach to switch to a 5 day "bro split" which just isn't feasible for me, nor do I really want to. Some say switch to dumbbells. Others say don't fix what ain't broken: stay on it and over time, your left side has no choice but to catch up to the more developed right side.

What do you guys think??? In a perfect world- I'd like to stick to bench, dips, OH press, bent over rows, squat, DL and pull-ups. I really do enjoy the big movements. And I like the new set/rep range I'm doing.

Just not sure if I'm going about it all wrong, or if I'm on the right path and simply need to keep chugging away at it.

So...... symmetry help/and programming suggestions and/or criticism.

I appreciate you guys' time and thanks in advance for any insight and input!!!!

Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by installerdrew View Post
    Hello everyone!
    If you enjoy what you are doing stick with it. However i am going to question if your form is good. If your stronger said is advancing quicker than your weaker side, chances are you are over compensating and forcing your right side to do most of the work even if you dont realize you are doing it you could be doing it subconsciously. If that is the case, I would say to lower the amount of weight you are using to something your left side can handle without help from the right, then really focus on form and driving the weight with your left side. Would have to see video of your lifts to know for sure but that would be my guess.
    Blues Hockey is life! I live for pain and disappointment.
    Freemason crew

instagram.com/sph724

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    What are your main lifts? (can give 1RMs or rep maxes)

BTW, it's not at all clear what your question is. Can you be more succinct?

I actually have 2 questions:

My first main question is.........

What can I do (or do I have to do anything) to get my less developed left side to even out and catch up with the current development of my right side. Do I make any changes in any fashion, or simply keep lifting as usual and power through (with progressive overload) with the understanding that over time, my left side will simply catch up to my right?

And secondly:

Being that I'm a hair over a year into this now.... is it ok to stick with my current routine- which is basically compound movements only, 3x a week? Or would it prove beneficial to make a change in programming? Push, Pull, Legs? Upper/Lower split? Individual body part split training multiple times a week? Increase in reps/sets?

As I stated in my initial post, with my current weekly free time I have available to dedicate to training.... relatively short sessions performed 3x a week is ideal for me. And I truly do love focusing on the big lifts, only. I do some accessory ab work and maybe curls every now and then, but primarily devote all my time and attention to compound movements. Is it ok to stick with this method of training (after a year in) or is it "normal" for most at this point to make a change. Really just looking for direction on how to go forth at this point. Keep doing what I'm doing???? Or switch to something different???

1 rep maxes:

Bench: 190
    DL: 275-285
    Squat: 260
    Row: 150
    OH Press: 115

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    1. Just keep training as normal. If one side is weaker, it will develop faster and you don't need to waste time not working the other side. The idea that one side can compensate for the other when lifting a barbell is a myth (unless you don't hold it in the middle!)

2. If you prefer to stay with 3x a week then full body routines make the most sense. The other alternative is the "high frequency PPL" e.g.

day 1: Pull, Push
    day 2: Legs, Pull
    day 3: Push, Legs

The general advice would be if you can keep overloading your current lifts then stick with what you are doing for now.

sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I actually have 2 questions:

My first main question is.........

What can I do (or do I have to do anything) to get my less developed left side to even out and catch up with the current development of my right side. Do I make any changes in any fashion, or simply keep lifting as usual and power through (with progressive overload) with the understanding that over time, my left side will simply catch up to my right?

And secondly:

Being that I'm a hair over a year into this now.... is it ok to stick with my current routine- which is basically compound movements only, 3x a week? Or would it prove beneficial to make a change in programming? Push, Pull, Legs? Upper/Lower split? Individual body part split training multiple times a week? Increase in reps/sets?

As I stated in my initial post, with my current weekly free time I have available to dedicate to training.... relatively short sessions performed 3x a week is ideal for me. And I truly do love focusing on the big lifts, only. I do some accessory ab work and maybe curls every now and then, but primarily devote all my time and attention to compound movements. Is it ok to stick with this method of training (after a year in) or is it "normal" for most at this point to make a change. Really just looking for direction on how to go forth at this point. Keep doing what I'm doing???? Or switch to something different???

1 rep maxes:

Bench: 190
    DL: 275-285
    Squat: 260
    Row: 150
    OH Press: 115
    As long as you train barbell movements with good form, both of your sides should even out over time.

As for your second question, depends, are you making gains on that routine?
    positivity brah crew
    dont take my posts too srs crew srs
    JFL @ everything crew
    lol @ tradies srs crew
    BIG LOL @ sky tradies srs crew (RealAesthetic)
    indian crew
    living in clown world crew so screw it crew
    anti-degen crew

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've been doing full body conpiybd training only, for about 2 years now. I have 6 total years of training. But went back to the basics 2 years ago and never looked back.
    OG

Yes, still progressing. Granted it's slowed down, but that's to be expected. I'll just keep rolling with the current training until I genuinely plateau. And like I said, I really enjoy the type of programming I'm following- sticking to the big compounds. I work out at a gym only very occasionally. Most workouts are at home and consist of power rack, barbell and plates, along with a dip rack and ab wheel. So..... no cables or flashy equipment. The big lift basics just work for me.

And with all that being said........ hopefully my left side gets with the program and starts to feel shamed by my right!!!!!! LOL.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes, still progressing. Granted it's slowed down, but that's to be expected. I'll just keep rolling with the current training until I genuinely plateau. And like I said, I really enjoy the type of programming I'm following- sticking to the big compounds. I work out at a gym only very occasionally. Most workouts are at home and consist of power rack, barbell and plates, along with a dip rack and ab wheel. So..... no cables or flashy equipment. The big lift basics just work for me.

And with all that being said........ hopefully my left side gets with the program and starts to feel shamed by my right!!!!!! LOL.
    Texas Method, Madcows 5x5, and 5/3/1 are all programs you could look into doing for when you stall out on your current program.

They all focus on improving the main lifts
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Thanks for all the input fellas!