shavs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shavs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shavs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shavs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shavs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shavs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shavs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shavs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shavs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shavs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shavs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Difference Between R-ALA and ALA

What's the difference between the two, and is there a difference in dosage for their inuslin mimicking properites? Thanks.

Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ALA is usually a 50/50 mixture of the S and R isomers of alpha lipoic acid. The R form is beneficial where as the S form is not, and actually some research shows it has negative implications. "In one study with mice, alpha Lipoic acid at high doses shortened the mean lifespan, but even at low doses, the R- form increased total life-span."

R-ALA is just the isolated "good" form of ALA.
    K-R-ALA (bonded to potassium) is better.
    NA-R-RALA is supposedly the best form.

ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Amino89 View Post
    ALA is usually a 50/50 mixture of the S and R isomers of alpha lipoic acid. The R form is beneficial where as the S form is not, and actually some research shows it has negative implications. "In one study with mice, alpha Lipoic acid at high doses shortened the mean lifespan, but even at low doses, the R- form increased total life-span."

I don't think NA-R-ALA is the best per se...I think that and K-R-ALA are pretty much right on par with each other...from personal experience and from feedback from others.

diddy55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diddy55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diddy55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diddy55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diddy55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diddy55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diddy55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diddy55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diddy55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diddy55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diddy55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I use the r-ala everyday

Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ZDub212 View Post
    I don't think NA-R-ALA is the best per se...I think that and K-R-ALA are pretty much right on par with each other...from personal experience and from feedback from others.
    Yeah, as Z said the results and quality of the NA and K forms are probably very marginal if any. I've just read NA is slightly better in preventing polymerization, and something about how the potassium was driving the cost up due to the way it needed to be transported...

Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000)

I would have to go as far as saying that taking just 10 mg of R-ala is probably greater net benefit than taking 100 mg of mixed enantiomer AlA considering that the S-form cancels out so much of the active R- form.

I think a lot of the benefits of alpha lipoic acid (especially on glutathione) can be had at much lower doses than normally seen provided you don't used mixed (R/S) ALA.
    Last edited by Phosphate bond; 03-30-2008 at 06:17 PM.

Originally Posted by Phosphate bond View Post
    I would have to go as far as saying that taking just 10 mg of R-ala is probably greater net benefit than taking 100 mg of mixed enantiomer AlA considering that the S-form cancels out so much of the active R- form.
    x2 the S-isomer can negate some of the R-isomers effects. I've seen good results with plain R-ALA but luckily got a couple xtra bottles of GXR and K-RALA is awesome!

shavs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shavs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shavs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shavs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shavs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shavs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shavs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shavs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shavs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shavs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shavs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hey,

Thanks for your responses. What about dosage? I've heard 500 mg of regular ALA for insulin mimicking properties, but is it the same for R-ALA. Also, should I take R-ALA pre or post workout? Thanks again.

Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by shavs View Post
    Hey,

Thanks for your responses. What about dosage? I've heard 500 mg of regular ALA for insulin mimicking properties, but is it the same for R-ALA. Also, should I take R-ALA pre or post workout? Thanks again.
    I don't think you really need as much R-ala as they say. If you take too much you can disturb metabolism from biotin as well.

I would say if you are using really good stuff like K-rala or Na-rala 10 mg is going to work pretty good (Geronova even says the absorption is that much better anyway). Then I would use 1-3 mg biotin to balance it.

Besides there is only so much effect you can get from "mega dosing" a single nutrient anyway. After that point it is the law of dimishing returns.

Can I use R-ALA with Taurine. I know both are considered insulin mimickers, so I was wondering.

Originally Posted by shavs View Post
    Can I use R-ALA with Taurine. I know both are considered insulin mimickers, so I was wondering.
    You can combine the two.

P.S. I am not so certain R-ala will "mimic" insulin, but it could remove a "bottleneck" in the insulin process if there happens to be inefficiency there.

Improve your Mind CognitiveNutrition's Avatar
    CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah, as Z said the results and quality of the NA and K forms are probably very marginal if any. I've just read NA is slightly better in preventing polymerization, and something about how the potassium was driving the cost up due to the way it needed to be transported...
    Na-Rala Bulk Powder
    Bio-Enhanced&Reg; Na-Rala Sodium R-Lipoic Adic (Na-Rala is the sodium of R-Alpha Lipoic Acid)
    CAS: [176110-81-9]

Specifications
    70% active R-lipoic acid powder, is stable, extremely low (<2.0 %) in insoluble polymer and offers an innovative solution for capsules, tablets and powdered drink mixes.
    Completely water soluble. 1 g dissolves in 50 ml water at room temperature.
    Off-white to yellowish powder, with 70% active R-lipoic acid.
    Powder melts at 240? ~ 250? C (with decomposition beginning at (~210? C).
    Powder is free flowing, heat stable up to 85? C and ready for blending with excipients.

Biological Activity
    Bio-Enhanced? Na-RALA is significantly more bioavailable than R-lipoic acid (RLA). Acidic components may adversely affect the stability and shelf-life of Bio-Enhanced? Na-RALA containing products.

1000mg (1gram) RLA reaches a maximum concentration (Cmax) of 1.1ug/ml in human plasma.
    100mg (0.1gram) Bio-Enhanced? Na-RALA reaches a Cmax of 2.3ug/ml.
    On a weight basis Bio-Enhanced? Na-RALA reaches a Cmax 21 times higher than RLA.

Note: Although Bio-Enhanced? Na-RALA may be suitable for multi-component formulations, the performance of this product in any new or experimental formula must determined by testing its stability with all of the ingredients.
    K-RALA and Na-RALA
    In 2003 GeroNova launched the first stabilized R-lipoic acid (RLA) containing dietary ingredient into the nutraceutical market: K-RALA? (Potassium RLA).

The pure potassium salt is unstable and had to be supported on silica and MCC after de-polymerization to make it suitable for tablets and capsules.

The additional processing raised the cost of an already expensive raw material (RLA), and could only be offered with a 40% active load.

K-RALA-40% was suitable for direct compression or encapsulation, but unsuitable for drink mixes. To deliver a:

100 mg active dose of RLA requires 250 mg K-RALA-40%
    100 mg active dose of RLA requires 143 mg Na-RALA-70%

Advantages
    Increased stability: Bio-Enhanced? Na-RALA requires no refrigeration and has a shelf life of at least 3 years without polymerization. Solid R-Lipoic Acid is prone to quickly polymerize upon exposure to heat, light, and moisture.
    Increased Solubility: cleanly soluble in water, whereas RLA is poorly soluble and K-RALA? can only be dispersed because of the insoluble excipients.
    No Solvent Residues: due to the low melting point of the lipoic acid crystalline structure, there is a tendency for RLA to hold on to high amounts of cyclohexane, ethyl acetate or toluene.
    The additional processing necessary to make Bio-Enhanced? Na-RALA removes the residual solvents.
    www.cognitivenutrition.com
    www.bodybuilding.com/store/uniq/uniq.htm

PEA 750 mg caps: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/uniq/peaultra.html
    PEA Dosing: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=261217881&postcount=1379