ShamaGrier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein and the kidneys.

Hello. I'm new to these forums and to body building. I have only recently started within the past week and my first goal to to have a balanced diet. However I have some concerns.

First I know that protein is the make or break substance to have in ones diet it one wishes to build muscle. Unfortunately for me I may or may not have some kidney problems, and high a high protein diet can put stress on kidneys that aren't working right from the get go though normal folks should be fine. Since I was about 12 I've dumped large ammounts of protein in my urine, a sign of possible kidney problems and my doctor has suggested I see a nephrologist and when I did see one he just said it was just something my body did and to keep my. Now I'm older (18) and I am still dumping large ammouts of protein in my urine but I'm not sure whether or not it would be safe for me to start consuming 270-300 grams of protein in a day, extra to make up for the loss in urine (I'm 135). I would like to see a nephrologist but with school starting soon I don't know when I'm going to have the time. I was wondering if anyone here has had any kidney problems and how they dealt with it and the protein situation. Or if there is a doctor out there who could give some advice. Thank you.

-Shama Grier

scottymac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottymac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottymac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottymac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottymac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottymac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottymac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottymac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottymac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottymac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottymac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Go see the nephrologist bro, you gotta make time for it put your health first, and ask him about the protien supplmentation and how safe it is, thats the only way your Q will get answered.

X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you have kidney problems then you definitely want to see a doctor just to be safe. This is not the place to get your answer, go see a doctor.

reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It seems odd that a doctor did not follow up on your proteinuria (protein in urine).

Have you been re-tested and consistently shown proteinuria?

I am not a physician, but this is usually a symptom we want to take care of and not let go unchecked.

Unless you get this checked, you should not drink protein or creatine or any aminoacid supplement.

In fact, you should be careful with what you eat in general.

Please, talk to your parents or guardians and make sure that back then (when you where 12), you really understood what the dr tell you. It seems highly unlikely that such a serious sign would go unchecked so long!!
    Dr. ReefPicker (PhD)
    -Not a Dr. in Nutrition or any other Human Biology Field-
    Fish Scientist / Computer Geek / Gymaholic
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Ovolactate Pescaterian and scientist.

ShamaGrier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to get a referral from my physician.

skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ShamaGrier View Post
    Hello. I'm new to these forums and to body building. I have only recently started within the past week and my first goal to to have a balanced diet. However I have some concerns.

First I know that protein is the make or break substance to have in ones diet it one wishes to build muscle. Unfortunately for me I may or may not have some kidney problems, and high a high protein diet can put stress on kidneys that aren't working right from the get go though normal folks should be fine. Since I was about 12 I've dumped large ammounts of protein in my urine, a sign of possible kidney problems and my doctor has suggested I see a nephrologist and when I did see one he just said it was just something my body did and to keep my. Now I'm older (18) and I am still dumping large ammouts of protein in my urine but I'm not sure whether or not it would be safe for me to start consuming 270-300 grams of protein in a day, extra to make up for the loss in urine (I'm 135). I would like to see a nephrologist but with school starting soon I don't know when I'm going to have the time. I was wondering if anyone here has had any kidney problems and how they dealt with it and the protein situation. Or if there is a doctor out there who could give some advice. Thank you.

-Shama Grier
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi80.htm

go to this link and scroll down to the part about protein intake for those w/ kidney problems. High protein intake will not worsen your kidney's. Please read the article
    "God has landed on this enemy-occupied world in human form...The perfect surrender and humiliation was undergone by Christ: perfect because He was God, surrender and humiliation because He was man."
    -C.S. Lewis

"Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..."
    -C.S. Lewis

My WS4BB Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1131121

reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by skitman1080 View Post

go to this link and scroll down to the part about protein intake for those w/ kidney problems. High protein intake will not worsen your kidney's. Please read the article
    You read the article wrong. That is not what the article says! It says that for ppl with normal kidneys, a high protein diet is not a problem.

It says that:
    "Many physicians believe that because high protein diets can worsen the condition of those who already suffer from kidney dysfunction, it only stands to reason that this should be true in healthy people."

The nephrons actually are "leaking" protein into the urine. The nephrons have a mesh-like structure that normally is impermeable to proteins. But in some renal patients, there is a break in the membrane and protein starts to leak out. My guess is that physicians are afraid that a high protein diet will put stress on the remaining healthy nephrons and cause them to leak too. Not sure if these kind of disease is idiopathic but things like high blood pressure for example can cause the nephrons to become "leaky"

HTH
    Dr. ReefPicker (PhD)
    -Not a Dr. in Nutrition or any other Human Biology Field-
    Fish Scientist / Computer Geek / Gymaholic
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Ovolactate Pescaterian and scientist.

X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-Mark-X will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by skitman1080 View Post

This has been debated a million times on these forums and for people with NORMAL KIDNEY FUNCTION high protein is fine. But if you have an existing kidney problem then it can cause problems. Regardless, why risk it? See your doctor so you can know for sure.