Bassplayer1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can you still build muscle with 20 reps/set x 3-4

Hi,

I was wondering, has anyone still been able to build muscle using 20 reps per set x 3-4 sets of each exercise? or does this burn muscle instead? I would put enough weight on for each set so that toward the end of the 20 reps, I cannot lift any more.. working til near muscle failure. Then I repeat this for the regular 3-4 sets..

I'm considering doing this for medical reasons because of a past injury and I have also gotten older.. Even though it would be 1/2 the weight, it would still be twice as many repetitions.. So, hopefully, this would still build muscle? even if it takes a bit longer? Anyone have any experience or knowledge with higher reps?

Thanks alot for any info!

LF

XDJoeXD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XDJoeXD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XDJoeXD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XDJoeXD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XDJoeXD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XDJoeXD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XDJoeXD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XDJoeXD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XDJoeXD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XDJoeXD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XDJoeXD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Bassplayer1 View Post
    Hi,

I was wondering, has anyone still been able to build muscle using 20 reps per set x 3-4 sets of each exercise? or does this burn muscle instead? I would put enough weight on for each set so that toward the end of the 20 reps, I cannot lift any more.. working til near muscle failure. Then I repeat this for the regular 3-4 sets..

I'm considering doing this for medical reasons because of a past injury and I have also gotten older.. Even though it would be 1/2 the weight, it would still be twice as many repetitions.. So, hopefully, this would still build muscle? even if it takes a bit longer? Anyone have any experience or knowledge with higher reps?

LF
    20 reps seems a bit much man. If building muscle id aim for the 10-12 rep range.

jlaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jlaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jlaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jlaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jlaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jlaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jlaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jlaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jlaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jlaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jlaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ive read a study that they found that you need to stick with 60% or higher of your max to effectively gain muscle. which is about 10-12 reps like they said.

I know that 10-12 reps is the best for building the most effectively, but was wondering if you did 20 reps of each exercise with a lighter weight, would it be possible to still gain muscle (just in a slower time frame)? It is for medical reasons that I have to lift a lower weight.. If for some reason, doing 20 reps would cause the muscle to burn away, then I would NOT do it.. But if I could still build muscle, just at a slower pace, then I would This is what I'm trying to find out..

Can a person still gain muscle at 20 reps per set with 3-4 sets (even if it's slower than the 10-12)?

Thanks -- was hoping someone might have experience with this or maybe there's been a study on that?

LF

sokrispy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sokrispy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sokrispy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sokrispy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sokrispy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sokrispy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sokrispy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sokrispy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sokrispy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sokrispy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sokrispy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    uhh nothing is going to burn away your muscle...

if you want size with lower weights, do more sets with minimal rest periods. 15 reps is about the highest I would go, I don't think it would hurt to increase the weight that much. But mix it up and do things like drop sets and supersets towards the end of your workout, you can get big with light weight, you just have to be creative.

Leer512 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi,

LF
    I tried that once on the legs. I'll tell ya it didn't realy make me that much stronger, and my legs were sore for a whole week. I couldn't do anything on them for that week, so it really kinda set me back a week. Personally, I think that type of regimine works best for those who heal fast (a.k.a take the proper performance enhancers). But that's just my humble opinion.
    Life is a journey, not a destination. The Journey is ALL that matters!!!

"Healthy eating means getting a variety of foods in moderation-not making any food forbidden..." -Jeff Behar

"The undisturbed mind is like the calm body of water reflecting the brilliance of the moon". - Jubei

musclebound2007 is just really nice. (+1000) musclebound2007 is just really nice. (+1000) musclebound2007 is just really nice. (+1000) musclebound2007 is just really nice. (+1000) musclebound2007 is just really nice. (+1000) musclebound2007 is just really nice. (+1000) musclebound2007 is just really nice. (+1000) musclebound2007 is just really nice. (+1000) musclebound2007 is just really nice. (+1000) musclebound2007 is just really nice. (+1000) musclebound2007 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't know about doing it for other body parts, but I didn't and still don't have the luxury of heavy weights for the legs, and equipment. So I had to basically do super sets, of the weights that I am using for squats and such, and very low rest periods in between. My legs are growing, but may not grow as fast as if I had the max amount of weight it can take. Being that the leg is a big muscle, so big weight is needed to get good gains but yet again what I am doing is fine with me. Although, I am looking for a more athletic runner's legs look, rather than a bber.
    ready to look like Omarion "http://allthatsfab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Omarion-e12.jpg"

"It's one thing to be a good person, it's another to be nice. You don't have to be nice, to be good."
    - musclebound2007

Bujumbles will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bujumbles will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bujumbles will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bujumbles will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bujumbles will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bujumbles will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bujumbles will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bujumbles will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bujumbles will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bujumbles will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bujumbles will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hi,

LF

training anything over 15+ reps your training muscle endurance or your muscles are getting more efficient and processing and withdrawing waste(i.e.lactic acid). does this mean you wont get hypertrophy from this? no assuming your not overtraining or undertraining your bodys going to adapt to the demands put on it by the above, aswell as hypertrophy(some areas more then others due to the ratio of fast to slow twitch in any given area). but its not going to be the most productive route to hypertrophy if that is indeed your goal.

FullOut19 is just really nice. (+1000) FullOut19 is just really nice. (+1000) FullOut19 is just really nice. (+1000) FullOut19 is just really nice. (+1000) FullOut19 is just really nice. (+1000) FullOut19 is just really nice. (+1000) FullOut19 is just really nice. (+1000) FullOut19 is just really nice. (+1000) FullOut19 is just really nice. (+1000) FullOut19 is just really nice. (+1000) FullOut19 is just really nice. (+1000)
    that kinda rep range works well for conditioning/circuit training much like a cross-fit idea.

however str/size gains optimal reps would be anywhere from 5-12 reps IMO.
    Winners Make Things Happen, Losers Let Things Happen...

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJournals.html?Owner=JUrb15

I'm hoping to at least maintain and hopefully grow muscle, even if it's not as fast as before.. I will try the 20 reps and not rest much in between sets and see what happens.. I'll still feed the muscle with protein and rest the next day or so after working out.. and see how it goes Thanks for your ideas and input on this. I really appreciate it.

230plus is just really nice. (+1000) 230plus is just really nice. (+1000) 230plus is just really nice. (+1000) 230plus is just really nice. (+1000) 230plus is just really nice. (+1000) 230plus is just really nice. (+1000) 230plus is just really nice. (+1000) 230plus is just really nice. (+1000) 230plus is just really nice. (+1000) 230plus is just really nice. (+1000) 230plus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Tried it once to switch up....got a great pump and made slight gains. Strength increases were not alot.
    240 with abs...your worst nightmare.

Mature Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mature Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mature Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mature Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mature Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mature Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mature Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mature Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mature Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mature Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mature Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi,

LF
    20 reps is a great count for one set of breathing squats cira old school training plus bench press and pullover once every 5 days, a year or so of this type of training your mum will not know her sonny. ML

Thanks for all of your responses to my question. I was curious if anyone had tried higher reps at least for a little while and was wondering what happened?

I'm going to try it and see if anything happens.. I'm hoping to at least keep the gains I've made while my injury heals and maybe even gain a bit more this way too : ) thanks for your input on this.

LF