NBaumbick has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NBaumbick has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NBaumbick has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NBaumbick has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Chest Development

Age 25
    Weight 185

I've been having issues with the development of my chest. I was always sort if skinny and started bulking at about 170lbs. I've noticed the my chest extrudes more now but it doesn't seem to be filling in completely. I wasn't sure if this was because i need to put more mass on or switch up my chest routine or maybe even my macros but i'm on here looking for a second opinion.

Chest routine usually goes:
    Flat bench 5x12
    Incline dumbbell press 5x12
    Incline Flys 5x12
    High cable crossovers 5x12
    Dips to failure
    Attached Images

cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    This is just a case of body fat percentage, and you'll need to decide whether you want to put on more muscle or start cutting down for definition. You've got a decent amount of fat and not a ton of muscle.

NBaumbick has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NBaumbick has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NBaumbick has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NBaumbick has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    So more switch up my carb protein percentage rather than adusting the workout. Right now I'm doing 40 40 20. how low should I be cutting my carbs while still being able to bulk?

Vitalero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitalero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitalero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitalero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitalero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitalero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitalero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitalero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitalero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitalero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitalero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you cant really bulk AND lower bodyfat same time..
    either you get some mass on you[you clearly out of mass] or start a cut

i understand you are doing a brosplit, this is the reason why ur chest is small and why you are weak
    5X12 doesnt hep for strength, so it wont make you stronger, meaning lifting 45lb each side of the bar in bench wont make you bigger
    Keeping it real since 1988

Log III :http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169145743

So what do you suggest as far as reps and sets?

cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cgibsong002 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by NBaumbick View Post
    So more switch up my carb protein percentage rather than adusting the workout. Right now I'm doing 40 40 20. how low should I be cutting my carbs while still being able to bulk?
    it doesn't quite seem like you have a grasp of nutrition. do 100/0/0 if you want. Doesn't matter, you still can't gain definition by transforming fat into muscle. You must bulk or cut.

So.... macros and protein intake don't matter..... solid logic. If you can't say anything helpful don't bother replying

So.... macros and protein intake don't matter..... solid logic. If you can't say anything helpful don't bother replying

lol... I'll wait for it...

edit: ok, I'm not going to be an ass, even though you don't seem to want to listen to actual advice. of course macros matter, the point is, you seem to be under the impression changing your macros will magically change your fat to muscle ratio. this is 99.9% false. you can't transform one to the other. you can only grow and reduce. this is done by consuming more or less calories than your TDEE. in this regards, it doesn't really matter much what your macros are. calories are calories, and you need to decide whether you want more of them, and grow muscle (AND fat), or less of them, and cut fat (AND muscle).

you're at a tough point where you have too much fat and too little muscle. cutting or bulking either way will result in additional unwanted fat or loss of muscle, but you have to make the decision which is more important, and eventually you will begin to balance your body out.
    Last edited by cgibsong002; 04-14-2015 at 01:34 PM.

If I'm gaining more fat and not enough muscle as you said obviously my macros need to be adjusted. You have offered no helpful information only criticisms. It is possible to bulk and increase muscle and yes fat will be gained too I'm not denying that but a better macro setup would possibly be more beneficial . But again if you have no helpful information why respond.

If I'm gaining more fat and not enough muscle as you said obviously my macros need to be adjusted. You have offered no helpful information only criticisms. It is possible to bulk and increase muscle and yes fat will be gained too I'm not denying that but a better macro setup would possibly be more beneficial . But again if you have no helpful information why respond.
    I'm telling this to help you. You can adjust your macros all you want but if you continue to bulk you will continue to lack definition. It would take an incredibly long time and an incredibly precise and minimal bulk to gain enough lean mass to balance out the fat that you currently have. If you're ok with not having definition, and your only true current goal is to build muscle, then yes, keep bulking. But your macros are fine. However, you seem to be wanting definition, and no matter what macros you consume, if you continue to bulk, you will continue to lose definition. Again, this is also fine. Many here recommend a strong bulk before a cut. But you NEED to understand how this works and with your current body type, either direction you choose you will not be totally happy. it will take a few bulk/cut cycles until you start to see what you're looking for. Me, personally, I was much happier cutting first to about 12% before I began bulking. It's up to your goals and what will continue to give you the most motivation.
    Last edited by cgibsong002; 04-14-2015 at 01:57 PM.

Thank you

magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If I'm gaining more fat and not enough muscle as you said obviously my macros need to be adjusted
    or your training . run a full body routine . you need to build some strength first. 5x12 wont get you there fast. if you are doing 5x12 then you are using 50-60% of your max. reduce your caloric intake if you are gaining more than 3 lbs a month.

what kind of sets would you recommend

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Age 25
    Chest routine usually goes:
    Flat bench 5x12
    Incline dumbbell press 5x12
    Incline Flys 5x12
    High cable crossovers 5x12
    Dips to failure
    You may want to change your routine. Those are great exercises however too many sets of each. Lower volume and concentrate on the mass builders by eliminating the crossovers for now and do some lower rep days in the 6-8 range on the presses. Also change the order of the exercises every 2 weeks or so. Try prioritizing weighted dips as your first exercise when you're fresh. This is one of the best mass builders and when you put em at the end it compromises the exercise. Also put incline work before flat. You'll find it fills in the upper chest area in as again, you're fresh when you do this exercise and will reap the benefits.

Bottom line is mix up the sequence otherwise the same fibers get worked in the same order all the time and your progress will suffer. Use this strategy and go into a calorie deficit and drop some fat. You'll look much better. Don't expect to add mass in the deficit but when you go back to a surplus you'll be primed for good growth.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Thank you that is very helpful. Any advice on what to replace crossovers with?

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thank you that is very helpful. Any advice on what to replace crossovers with?
    Nothing. Eliminate for now and concentrate on the more powerful exercises, especially weighted dips and incline presses
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

AllNaturalTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllNaturalTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllNaturalTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllNaturalTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllNaturalTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllNaturalTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllNaturalTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllNaturalTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllNaturalTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllNaturalTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllNaturalTom will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i would suggest adding negative pec flys to your routine . As negative eccentric lifting is the only exercise that has been proven to induce hyperplasia instead of just hypertrophy . ( Actually adding muscle sarcomere fibers instead of just making the ones you have bigger ) . And its great for your posture . . i use a pec fly machine and have my partner stand on the weight rack once i have contracted my pecs fully . You can also use dumbells and have your partner over power you holding the weight together . but be careful you are very vulnerable to injury if your partner doesnt know when to let go .
    my blog - AllNaturalTestBoost.com

GrowScience is on a distinguished road. (+10) GrowScience is on a distinguished road. (+10) GrowScience is on a distinguished road. (+10) GrowScience is on a distinguished road. (+10) GrowScience is on a distinguished road. (+10) GrowScience is on a distinguished road. (+10) GrowScience is on a distinguished road. (+10) GrowScience is on a distinguished road. (+10) GrowScience is on a distinguished road. (+10) GrowScience is on a distinguished road. (+10) GrowScience is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    So what do you suggest as far as reps and sets?
    bro - Incline. lets be serious.
    2 warm up sets. moderate weight 10 reps.
    working sets 4 x 6-8 reps - heavy.
    Decline bench - same.
    incline db press - heavy, no B.S 4x8 reps
    and FLEX.
    Also there is an incline bench that I do but id have to make a video of it cause its hard to explain. but incline is my jam. will give you a big boy chest.
    BroScience < GrowScience

Bench (incline DB press): 120 repped
    Squat: not enough (330 max..I think?)
    Deads: 450 Rep.