rumrunner6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How often should I use my Whey protein supplement?

Is using whey protein on days I weight train enough? I run 3 miles 4 days a week, play racquetball once a week & weight train two days a week. On days I weight train, I use the whey protein shake supplement 3 times, in the morning after breakfast, after lunch & about an hour after dinner. I started thinking that if my muscles are repairing/building on my off days, maybe I should take the supplement more often and also to feed the running muscles. Any thoughts? I'm 48 yrs. old 6' 225 lbs. BTW: I'm still looking to reduce fat.

Archmage81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    From my understanding your body is continuing to recover even on your off days so it is suggested to take the protien regardless. Also from reading this forumn it is recommended to take the protien in the morning with breakfast and post workout, primarily.

Depending on the carb content on your current protien shake it might be suggested to skip the protien prior to bed and just have a 'clean' dinner, containing high protien.

Good luck.
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 161.5 LBs

Stack:
    AndroTest, AndroCept, 6OXO, Whey Protein Shake, Tetrazene Extreme, & NO Xplode

-Red Acid & Vapor are on the way.

Thanks for your opinion!
    I think, based on how I felt this morning (lifted last night) that I will add a shake to the morning after I weight train. I'll also add it after every time I run.

About eliminating it from my post dinner menu, I heard the evening is a good time to take it because protein requires a lot of energy to digest, and it's good for the body to have something so rich to work on over night. For me it wouldn't be every night, just the nights I weight train.

Charmion will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charmion will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charmion will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charmion will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charmion will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charmion will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charmion will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charmion will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charmion will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charmion will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charmion will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rumrunner6 View Post
    Thanks for your opinion!
    I think, based on how I felt this morning (lifted last night) that I will add a shake to the morning after I weight train. I'll also add it after every time I run.

About eliminating it from my post dinner menu, I heard the evening is a good time to take it because protein requires a lot of energy to digest, and it's good for the body to have something so rich to work on over night. For me it wouldn't be every night, just the nights I weight train.
    Well, whey is digested and absorbed very quickly by the body making it less than optimal for lasting through the night. It's usually good to include slower digesting proteins with your pre-bed meal, like lean meats, cottage cheese, casein protein powder and or nuts.

The last meal of everyday for me includes 6oz tuna w/light basalmic dressing and 1tblsp of peanutbutter.

Charmion

OK, I understand. That sounds good. I can do that.

morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Better option to segregate your protein inputs into two types:
    1) Whey protein isolates
    2) Micellear Casein protein

Isolates would get absorbed really fast so that makes it a post workout supplementation.

For off days, take micellar casein as usual.

So assuming if you are taking 1 gram per pound of body weight and you divide your protein supplmentation into three intakes....

2 micellar casein intakes ( breakfast time and before going to dinner)
    1 whey protein intake ( post workout)

So for regular workout days its 3
    For off days its 2

morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    As an after thought ... If you are looking to reduce fat..do not take whey protein concentrates !! prefer isolates.

Any idea how long before I start seeing / feeling results from the added protein? Days? Weeks? Months?

ReidDo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Is using whey protein on days I weight train enough? I run 3 miles 4 days a week, play racquetball once a week & weight train two days a week. On days I weight train, I use the whey protein shake supplement 3 times, in the morning after breakfast, after lunch & about an hour after dinner. I started thinking that if my muscles are repairing/building on my off days, maybe I should take the supplement more often and also to feed the running muscles. Any thoughts? I'm 48 yrs. old 6' 225 lbs. BTW: I'm still looking to reduce fat.
    Because you're training with weights two days a week, I'm assuming you're not looking to build huge amounts of muscle. As long as you're sticking to a high protein diet throughout the entire week, you should be just fine using the shakes pre- and post-workout only. If you have trouble with the diet throughout the week then you can try a casein shake in place of a meal.

When you says workouts - do you mean just the weight training or the running as well?

Yes, I'm not looking to build a huge amount of muscle. Really trying to defy the aging process. I work with a bunch of 20 & 30 yr olds and I'll be 50 next year. Being around them is a mixed blessing. :-)

When you says workouts - do you mean just the weight training or the running as well?

Yes, I'm not looking to build a huge amount of muscle. Really trying to defy the aging process. I work with a bunch of 20 & 30 yr olds and I'll be 50 next year. Being around them is a mixed blessing. :-)
    I mean just the weight training. Some might say before running too, to prevent muscle breakdown, but I disagree. If your diet is on point, a shake before running would just be a waste of money.

Charmion will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charmion will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charmion will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charmion will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charmion will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charmion will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charmion will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charmion will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charmion will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charmion will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charmion will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Both for post workout shakes. I personally don't do pre-workout shakes. I just makes sure I have a good solid meal 1.5-2hrs before my workouts, weight or cardio.
    Last edited by Charmion; 03-27-2008 at 12:03 PM.

I read complex carbs before workouts, fast protein (like a liquid supplement) & simple carbs after workouts.

I'm inclined to take the added protein after running to avoid the breakdown and marathoners legs.

I've been working the leg & butt machines too, so I don't want the running to counteract the weight training.

I read complex carbs before workouts, fast protein (like a liquid supplement) & simple carbs after workouts.

I'm inclined to take the added protein after running to avoid the breakdown and marathoners legs.

I've been working the leg & butt machines too, so I don't want the running to counteract the weight training.
    Sounds good, no need to make things over complicated. Plenty of great bodies have been built w/o protein powder, dextrose ect. Powders are a luxury not a necessity just makes getting your requirements a little easier. Real food should be the prefered method of getting you nutrients.

Just make sure you have a good amount of protein and carbs before and after your workout

Thanks. My recent research has been good and useful but you guys have helped a lot. Of course I eat real food, just try to stop me! :-) The research though sort of indicated I was short changing my body. I've been knocking myself out & now maybe I'll see some added results with some careful tweaking. Getting old and losing my metabolism and muscle mass has been a pain in the neck. Growing old gracefully ... I don't like it!

Word for the wise - if you are approaching 30, be sure to keep a close eye on your weight! It is much smarter to keep it off then to try and lose it later on!!!

I look at guys like Dennis Quaid in flight of Phoenix, a role model for me even though I'll never look like him, duh.

http://blog.thehegemony.org/2007/05/01/dennis-quaid-2/

He started out as a skinny guy, like in The Right Stuff

http://abes-celebrities.com/dennis_quaid.php

No, I'm not gay, my wife loves him. ugh

Originally Posted by Charmion View Post
    Powders are a luxury not a necessity just makes getting your requirements a little easier. Real food should be the prefered method of getting you nutrients.
    This is right on point, very well put.

I agree too. Sometimes I get home at night after working out and the wife has made a hi carb dinner for the kids. ugh

Thanks. My recent research has been good and useful but you guys have helped a lot. Of course I eat real food, just try to stop me! :-) The research though sort of indicated I was short changing my body. I've been knocking myself out & now maybe I'll see some added results with some careful tweaking. Getting old and losing my metabolism and muscle mass has been a pain in the neck. Growing old gracefully ... I don't like it!

Word for the wise - if you are approaching 30, be sure to keep a close eye on your weight! It is much smarter to keep it off then to try and lose it later on!!!

I look at guys like Dennis Quaid in flight of Phoenix, a role model for me even though I'll never look like him, duh.

http://blog.thehegemony.org/2007/05/01/dennis-quaid-2/

He started out as a skinny guy, like in The Right Stuff

http://abes-celebrities.com/dennis_quaid.php

No, I'm not gay, my wife loves him. ugh
    lol, he's definitely aging well, that physique looks like great goal. You'd be surpised the amount of people who come on here and just looking to lose 5-10lbs or gain an inch on their biceps and end up completely transforming their bodies and lives for that matter.
    There is no reason to set your sights low, you can have any physique you wish, just make sure to set smaller checkpoints on your way to that ultimate goal.

You seem like a great guy with a great attitude, with some time and dedication you may be surprised at what is possible. Just make sure you stick with it NO MATTER WHAT. If you fall off the horse, just make sure to pick yourself up and get back on.

Good luck with all your endeavors,

Charmion

Thanks. I appreciate that. And there is nothing wrong with being gay.

I thought February was hard, but March was no picnic. Off to GYM right now! :-)

g40graham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) g40graham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) g40graham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) g40graham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) g40graham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) g40graham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) g40graham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) g40graham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) g40graham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) g40graham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) g40graham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I take whey when I wake up with 20 oz of milk, to get some casean in the mix.

Next serving is 2 scoops post workout

Final serving 1 scoop before bed mixed with a scoop of casean.

Whey is fast digesting protein and casean is slow digesting, therefore whey is good for post workouts and casean is good for pre-bedtime.

Just my $.02
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do"
    Unleash the Alpha Male
    ALWAYS trust your instinct...

www.seemoreresults.com

aejay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Age is just a number. Feel young from inside and i can feel u young from inside.we cant defy aging. Try to be healthy .arnold has also developed a tummy now.do u best in everything u do ,not gym alone.
    all the best and take care.