stas2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stas2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stas2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stas2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stas2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stas2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stas2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stas2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stas2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stas2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stas2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

proper nutrition before/after running?

I am starting my cutting this week, i have a question what do u eat before and after running??I am gonna run really late from 10pm to 12pm every over day, about 10-11 miles...Yesterday was the first day i tried it, considering i ve been fat my whole life and recently lost 57 pounds, yesterday was definatly a great accomplishment for me..when i got back i was completely exhausted so what should i eat?protein?fiber? or nothing at all? i wanna shred that last inch of fat i have left and maintain as much muscle as possible..any suggestions?

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by stas2007 View Post
    I am starting my cutting this week, i have a question what do u eat before and after running??I am gonna run really late from 10pm to 12pm every over day, about 10-11 miles...Yesterday was the first day i tried it, considering i ve been fat my whole life and recently lost 57 pounds, yesterday was definatly a great accomplishment for me..when i got back i was completely exhausted so what should i eat?protein?fiber? or nothing at all? i wanna shred that last inch of fat i have left and maintain as much muscle as possible..any suggestions?
    Here are two variations for post-cardio... Bottom line is that you should eat - the "what" will depend on your overall diet, and exercise session parameters ...

What to Eat After Cardio by Chris Aceto
    Chris Aceto says you need a protein drink or some fast absorbing protein like egg whites right away afterwards, but wait 90 minutes after cardio to eat carbs. Otherwise, you can cause an insulin spike that will counteract the fat burning you've tried achieve with the cardio. At 90 minutes, take in some slow burning carbs and more protein.

What to Eat After Cardio by Chris Aceto
    Just what are you supposed to eat after a hard cardio session? While a lot of people know a high carbohydrate protein shake is the way to go after weight training, few really know the best things to consume after aerobics – a workout generally intended for fat burning. Of course, there are people out there who do cardio "to be heart-healthy," but let’s face it, the overwhelming majority hit the treadmill or stair stepper because it helps keep body fat at bay. By focusing on your post-cardio meal, you’ll be able to maximize fat burning and keep the torch lit even after your cardio session.

To decide what to eat after cardio, you have to approach the meal with the understanding that the types and quantities of food you eat affect your hormone levels. These hormones play a direct role in the burning (or not burning) of body fat. Keeping fat-burning hormones elevated – the very hormones that increase during cardio – is the single most important factor in determining what is best to eat after a cardio session. OK, let’s start with the simple stuff.

Fat

We know it makes no sense to eat a lot of fat after cardio. If your knowledge of physiology is limited, you can rely on common sense. It’s simply not a rational idea to chow down on a lot of dietary fat after having just jumped off the treadmill. Truth be told, dietary fat is easily stored as body fat, more so than protein and carbohydrates.

Protein

Protein is anti-catabolic. Dietary amino acids derived from protein foods can be used directly as fuel after cardio. Often, protein stores are broken down with cardio. That is, in addition to burning body fat, longer cardio sessions or cardio sessions performed in a total calorie deficit can cause a loss or burning of your hard-earned muscle. Since protein protects against muscle loss, taking in easy-to-absorb protein following the cardio session is a must. It can put an end to protein breakdown and keep the metabolism from taking a dive. That’s because burning protein is a strictly catabolic event, and catabolism is always associated with a slower metabolic rate.

Carbs

Carbs are the double-edged sword of nutrition. You need them for recovery and growth, yet they can initiate fat storage. Carbohydrates promote a rise of insulin, and insulin can be classified as a fat-storing hormone. In general, the more carbs you eat, the more insulin is released. Insulin is the quarterback of the entire fat-storing team and regulates the signals that allow fat cells to "open up" and store more body fat. Simultaneously, insulin directs dietary fat into fat cells and drives carbohydrates down fat-storing pathways. Does it make sense to eat a lot of carbohydrates after cardio? Not really. When you eat a lot of carbohydrates, insulin levels will increase, shutting down fat-burning hormones and enzymes released during cardio.

The two benefits to cardio are 1. it burns calories, and 2. it changes the hormonal status in the body, favoring the burning of body fat. Your carb quantity and choice after cardio affects the hormonal balance. Where cardio increases the circulation of catecholamines, tiny messengers that target fat cells to break them down, insulin decreases the release of catecholamines.

Whereas cardio increases the output of hormone sensitive lipase (HSL), a hormone that "opens" fat cells and allows fatty acids to be stripped as fuel, insulin opposes its release and can even spike levels of lipoprotein lipase (LPL), which does the exact opposite of HSL. LPL seals off fat cells and helps push fuel into fat stores. Therefore, it seems best to avoid carbohydrates after cardio to keep the fat-burning hormones elevated.

However, small amounts of insulin actually support the metabolism. How so? Insulin is also anabolic. It stimulates growth and repair of muscles. And, during a recovery or growth state, the body literally steals from its fat stores to obtain energy in order to sustain the recovery or growth process. Growth and recovery require fuel (energy), and most of that energy will come from fat stores. Insulin also supports the uptake of thyroid hormones, calorie-burning hormones, by tissues. So, with regard to carbs after cardio:

1) A large amount will shut down fat burning and reverse the hormonal advantage associated with cardio.

2) Skipping carbs altogether leaves you with "just protein." While protein helps prevent a loss in muscle, your body always needs a small amount of carbs for support.

3) A small amount of carbs helps support recovery and growth without shutting off the fat-burning process.

4) Small amounts of carbs coupled with protein can prevent thyroid hormones from declining.

I think the best bet to go is to consume 25 to 40 grams of fast-acting protein, such as whey protein, egg whites or fish, along with 30 to 50 grams of carbohydrates within 30 minutes of cardio. Ideally, the carbohydrates ought to be fiber-based, such as oatmeal, oat bran, peas or corn. Fiber slows the breakdown of carbohydrates, allowing them to be delivered in an almost "time-released" fashion. The benefit: slower-digesting carbohydrates result in moderate insulin rises, and moderate insulin is our goal. Moderate insulin offers anabolic or building support, without reversing the fat-burning state induced with cardio. Simple carbs, such as white bread, juices or high glycemic carbs, should be avoided because they tend to spike insulin levels, and the resulting spike can compromise fat burning by suppressing fat-burning hormones and enzymes.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

blueguitar322 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blueguitar322 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blueguitar322 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blueguitar322 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blueguitar322 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blueguitar322 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blueguitar322 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blueguitar322 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blueguitar322 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blueguitar322 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blueguitar322 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great article. Repped for post.

Saturnal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Saturnal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Saturnal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Saturnal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Saturnal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Saturnal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Saturnal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Saturnal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Saturnal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Saturnal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Saturnal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Pre-cardio in the morning, I have 15g of whey in water.

After cardio, I have a complete meal of egg whites, oats, a small serving of orange juice, and a small serving of walnuts.

Seems to work well. I think if you have the proper caloric intake for the whole day, it's fine to have a good portion of carbs after cardio especially if it's your first meal of the day. I don't agree that it "shuts down fat burning" after cardio. It slows it down sure, but you have to look at the overall picture. That's just my experience...post-cardio nutrition is not THAT critical imo. Just eat something that fits in your daily macros, you'll be fine.

solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100)
    It's honestly not one of the best articles I read. At all.

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by solid_intensity View Post
    It's honestly not one of the best articles I read. At all.
    Meh... you're not thinking straight since your cortisol is out of control... lol... Not exactly the best judge anyway...
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100)
    It's really a crappy article lol.

Oh haiii WITS certified, it's good article for the clueless, but those informed won't find it very on point/educational.

Oh haiii WITS certified, it's good article for the clueless, but those informed won't find it very on point/educational.
    LOL @ all of your "informed" ideas ... LOL... speaking of which... a look at the threads you've started puts you in what crowd?

jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000)

So what would you recommend then, and what sources do you have to back your information? Aceto is one of the top guys in the industry, and can boast having the current Mr Olympia as his one of his clients.

What do I recommend just eat like you normal would after a workout? This ain't rocket science, there's no magic to it. Your metabolism is going to be high regardless. Bad enough I saw a question about what kind of whey to use for soccer. Now what should I eat after running? Give me a break. Common sense, oh hai.

What do I recommend just eat like you normal would after a workout? This ain't rocket science, there's no magic to it. Your metabolism is going to be high regardless. Bad enough I saw a question about what kind of whey to use for soccer. Now what should I eat after running? Give me a break. Common sense, oh hai.
    "Are Grapenuts OK" ? loool ... Where's the common sense there?

Originally Posted by in10city View Post
    "Are Grapenuts OK" ? loool ... Where's the common sense there?
    You want to read that thread again? Are you seriously that dumb? I said I was double checking, because someone opposed my idea that IT IS GOOD. I enjoy confirming my thoughts, thank you.

You want to read that thread again? Are you seriously that dumb? I said I was double checking, because someone opposed my idea that IT IS GOOD. I enjoy confirming my thoughts, thank you.
    That's like double checking whether or not you pulled your pants up after going to the bathroom. You can't be that clueless.

You're not winning this argument bub, it's not like I eat gravel grape nuts everyday, so I wanted to make sure.

5-20-2017 NPC Optimum C Cronos1247's Avatar
    Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    What about pre-cardio?
    MTS Nutrition Houston rep.
    "No BS, no hype. Just results."

Upcoming show NPC Optimum Classics: 5-20-2017

"I don't believe in following any one training style. I couldn't tell what DC or H.I.T. or FST-7 entail. I have no clue and really don't give a ****. I go to the gym to train hard. I don't need to follow a ****ing "program" to do that." - Evan Centopani

Originally Posted by Cronos1247 View Post
    What about pre-cardio?
    Like seriously here people, working out is working out. What you should be eating pre and post, is dependent upon your goals and what type of cardio you're doing. Carbs, protein, fat, eat it all day, everyday.

You're not winning this argument bub, it's not like I eat gravel grape nuts everyday, so I wanted to make sure.
    What argument? You know how the saying goes... Neither of us have anything more to add here... bye.

jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Like seriously here people, working out is working out.
    Is it? So someone working out with pink dumbells should fuel themselves the same way as someone training heavy?

The same way? Yes. The same amount? No.

stas2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stas2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stas2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stas2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stas2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stas2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stas2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stas2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stas2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stas2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stas2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks for all replies guys..so is ok to not eat anything after my cardio?I think i ll still have a can of tuna or something very light..because i really dont want to fill myself up with calories at 12:30 at night..i wish i could do cardio in the morning but i have wake up for college at 6 in the morning as is....

sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100)
    Saying its a crappy article DOES NOT contribute ANYTHING, if you can say it or explain it better, then do so , if not move long to another thread.

sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100) sxgt is not very well liked. (-100)
    OK so my protein shake has 6g of Carbs , is that too much after post work out or what?

Single digit BF% or else! aiming45's Avatar
    aiming45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aiming45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aiming45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aiming45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aiming45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aiming45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aiming45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aiming45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aiming45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aiming45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aiming45 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by stas2007 View Post
    thanks for all replies guys..so is ok to not eat anything after my cardio?I think i ll still have a can of tuna or something very light..because i really dont want to fill myself up with calories at 12:30 at night..i wish i could do cardio in the morning but i have wake up for college at 6 in the morning as is....
    No, it's NOT ok to NOT eat anything after running ten miles at midnight and going straight to bed. Tuna before bed? Seriously dude, that's disgusting. Have some complex carbs, some protein, and bit of good fats to slow down the absorbtion while you sleep. My favorite is a couple slices of banana, mixed with 1 tsp of natural PB, and a scoop of protein.

Eating this late would only promote fat storage IF you didn't work out so damned late. The carbs you ingest after running that long should go straight to replacing depleted glycogen stores, and the remaining ones should help shuttle the protein back to your muscles with the fat slowing the process down to last while you sleep.

Solid_Intensity is a bit rough around the edges, but he does have some (just some ) valid points. As he said it's not rocket science, but these general rules don't always apply to everyone's unique make up.

Solid_Intensity... dude... if you want people to actually take any advice your trying to give on these boards, try "offering" it to them rather than beating them over the head with it. You may find folks a bit more receptive.