Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ronboski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ronboski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ronboski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ronboski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ronboski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Arms going numb while sleeping (help)

Been hitting the gym more as of late and the bigger my arms get the more they seem to "go numb" while sleeping. If I bend them at the elbow while sleeping I will wake up with them numb "asleep". This has happenend a few time in the past after "bulking-up" my arms but now more than ever and it is starting to worry be a tad. I guess the additional bicep mass (pump) is pinching off the circulation around my elbows while bent as I'm sleeping????

As I work in the office or keep active throughout the day my arms never give me any trouble.

help....

I will go see the doc as soon as I get new health insurance in a few weeks.

Anyone else here ever have this happen?
    Last edited by Ronboski; 03-17-2008 at 11:50 AM.
    The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character.

M1STAT1NG1111 is not very well liked. (-100) M1STAT1NG1111 is not very well liked. (-100) M1STAT1NG1111 is not very well liked. (-100) M1STAT1NG1111 is not very well liked. (-100) M1STAT1NG1111 is not very well liked. (-100) M1STAT1NG1111 is not very well liked. (-100) M1STAT1NG1111 is not very well liked. (-100) M1STAT1NG1111 is not very well liked. (-100) M1STAT1NG1111 is not very well liked. (-100) M1STAT1NG1111 is not very well liked. (-100) M1STAT1NG1111 is not very well liked. (-100)
    i had the same problem that it forces be to sleep on my back, doesn't go numb if i sleep on my back

lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000)
    As stated sleep on your back and you can change your pillow worked for me.

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It happens to me several times every night, both arms.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Mine do too. Sleeping on back helps, but then I snore like a moose in heat! Mine also go to sleep when holding a phone to my ear.
    You're either in or in the way!

I'm not really a comedian, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Clif will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clif will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clif will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clif will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clif will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clif will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clif will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clif will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clif will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clif will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clif will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Misery does love company, I have really been hitting it hard and im really starting to see some results however I have noticed this as of lately myself. ill wake up two or three times a night and have to shack my hands out to get feeling back in them, I also cant talk on the phone very long, WOW I had no idea this was common place. I have finally learned to sleep on my back but it?s the only thing I have found that works! Im really interested in seeing if anyone else has a better solution. I had a nerve test donea few months ago, it hurt like Heck!!! I don?t know what the test is called but they stick this big needle in you muscles in your hand and up and down you arm then they shoot electric pulse in you muscles!!! Holy Heck ill never let them do that again, that was the longest hour and a half of my life ??oh and all I got from it was ?everything looks fine!!?

someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000)
    if you don't lie on them they won't fall asleep
    i'm a fatty now :(

rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Mine do this wether I sleep on my back or not, its worse when I wake up with one over my head. I have found moving my arms to my sides while sleeping on my back or using a couple pillows so my upper body is slightly elevated relieves it.

Slower, but smarter Capnwilliam's Avatar
    Capnwilliam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capnwilliam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capnwilliam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capnwilliam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capnwilliam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capnwilliam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capnwilliam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capnwilliam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capnwilliam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capnwilliam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capnwilliam will become famous soon enough. (+50)

LOTS of this!

I had no idea that this was such a common problem! It happened to me a few weeks ago, in my right arm. It went so dead, so weak, for so long, I went to the emergency room. They diagnosed it as due to nerve compression.

Jim
    I wonder how soon it will be before we start seeing "Don't blame me, I voted for McCain" bumper stickers?

Registered User greenamphibious's Avatar
    greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Tempur Pedic Grand Bed.... problem solved!
    Always room for improvement!

SPACECLOWN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPACECLOWN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPACECLOWN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPACECLOWN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPACECLOWN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPACECLOWN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPACECLOWN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPACECLOWN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPACECLOWN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPACECLOWN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPACECLOWN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Same here. Wife won't allow me to sleep on my back though My legs fall asleep to on my side. I have to put a pillow between my knees to prevent it.
    Cannabis and synthetic supplements

atoybbacs is on a distinguished road. (+10) atoybbacs is on a distinguished road. (+10) atoybbacs is on a distinguished road. (+10) atoybbacs is on a distinguished road. (+10) atoybbacs is on a distinguished road. (+10) atoybbacs is on a distinguished road. (+10) atoybbacs is on a distinguished road. (+10) atoybbacs is on a distinguished road. (+10) atoybbacs is on a distinguished road. (+10) atoybbacs is on a distinguished road. (+10) atoybbacs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Mine do too. A 81 mg aspirin before I go to bed helps me. I guess it improves my circulation.
    Cutting

Heatmiser will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heatmiser will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heatmiser will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heatmiser will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heatmiser will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heatmiser will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heatmiser will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heatmiser will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heatmiser will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heatmiser will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heatmiser will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Same problem here - I have to sleep on my side due to back issues. But my shoulders are wide and my upper body is heavy so my arms fall asleep right away. I end up "bodyslamming" all night long flopping from one side to the other. My girl hates it. In fact we sleep in seperate beds because of it.

It sucks, and even the softest bed I could find doesn't make it go away. I'm thinking of getting a super thick layer of foam and cutting out a channel where the shoulders go to help even things out.

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Mine did this even before I started working out. But not sleeping on my tummy isn't an option

My 2" foam topper has helped, but it still happens. I really hate when both arms go to sleep at the same time!

Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Ronboski View Post
    Been hitting the gym more as of late and the bigger my arms get the more they seem to "go numb" while sleeping. If I bend them at the elbow while sleeping I will wake up with them numb "asleep". This has happenend a few time in the past after "bulking-up" my arms but now more than ever and it is starting to worry be a tad. I guess the additional bicep mass (pump) is pinching off the circulation around my elbows while bent as I'm sleeping????

As I work in the office or keep active throughout the day my arms never give me any trouble.

help....

I will go see the doc as soon as I get new health insurance in a few weeks.

Anyone else here ever have this happen?
    Ive had the same thing happen to me, on and off throughout the years. And like you it seems to be when Im adding size. It goes away after a while. I think it may be the circulation (or nervous system) system catching up with the additional mass. Ive never seen a doctor for that specifically. I have so many wierd tweeks and pains, I could spend a fortune seeing the doc every time one comes up.
    If this were easy, everyone would do it!

xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by greenamphibious View Post
    Yeah, or if your back can handle the softness, buy a 4" memory foam mattress pad.

I also sleep with one of those full-length (6') pillows that let me get into much more comfortable positions.

Roger035 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Roger035 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Roger035 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Roger035 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Roger035 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Roger035 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Roger035 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Roger035 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Roger035 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Roger035 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Roger035 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by greenamphibious View Post
    Agreed. My tempur pedic was the awnser for me. Like others said, sleep on your back and you'll get more comfort.
    " Strive for the impossible to be the possible. " - Roger Serafin

" Using no way as way " & " Having no limitation as limitation " - Bruce Lee

The World is Watching. Stay Strong.

exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    And I thought I was the only one!!!!!! Mine fall asleep if I am in the thinking position while watching TV.....
    White Flood, Green MAGnitude, Purple Wraath, Orange Triad, Cellmass, Syntha-6, 1st 6 Hour Bovine Colostrum Powder, Flax Oil, Flax Seed & NOW Omega 3/6/9

http://battleintheburgh.tripod.com

It's OK to live everyday as if it were your last, But LEARN everday as if you were going to Live forever

Registered User greenamphibious's Avatar
    greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) greenamphibious is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by xMichaelx View Post
    Yeah, or if your back can handle the softness, buy a 4" memory foam mattress pad.
    I have yet to find anything even close to tempurpedic... those overlays just aren't the same
    Always room for improvement!

IronIc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronIc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronIc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronIc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronIc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronIc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronIc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronIc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronIc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronIc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronIc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Mine have done this from time to time ... when my weight is down and I work out regularly (like now) I don't have the problem.
    ~ Penney

Diet * (weights + cardio) = success

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139344213&p=774586483#post774586483

We must be the change we wish to see in the world
    -Ghandi

Do it or don't do it... tomdana's Avatar
    tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

timely

I remember this as a teen when I bulked up and has been happening again with added size the last two years. It happens on my side or back, though as many here, I am not allowed to sleep on my back. Apparently someone snores in this position. I know enough adult medicine left over from school ( enough to be scary after 15 yrs of doing pediatrics) that I was starting to question it and thought of asking one of my adult colleagues though am now glad to know it is not just me. Take care to all with numb extremities. I take this as good news looking at my company.

loling all the way to the nayrb182's Avatar
    nayrb182 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nayrb182 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nayrb182 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nayrb182 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nayrb182 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nayrb182 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nayrb182 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nayrb182 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nayrb182 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nayrb182 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nayrb182 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    the bigger you get, the more it will happen
    rep back 500+ just leave in the comment

owe reps to
    *TheMisker(must spread)

Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

Hmmmm...would I rather have skinny arms or big guns that get the cirrculation cut off nightly? No brainer, I'll take the big guns and a little hassle. No pain...no gain! I wake up several times a night with one of my arms numb...been that way for decades....no cause for alarm.
    A coward dies many deaths, a Soldier dies one.

Ronboski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ronboski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ronboski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ronboski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ronboski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for all the feedback!
    Glad to hear I am not alone and it is nothing to worry about.

Hope your next workout is your best one.......
    The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character.

Spiceygamble is just really nice. (+1000) Spiceygamble is just really nice. (+1000) Spiceygamble is just really nice. (+1000) Spiceygamble is just really nice. (+1000) Spiceygamble is just really nice. (+1000) Spiceygamble is just really nice. (+1000) Spiceygamble is just really nice. (+1000) Spiceygamble is just really nice. (+1000) Spiceygamble is just really nice. (+1000) Spiceygamble is just really nice. (+1000) Spiceygamble is just really nice. (+1000)
    I found this problem happens too... and I'm NOT a big builder.
    I even did some sketches to present to an invention company;
    a specially shaped pillow for side support. I have a tempurpedic pillow that I have to hand over every time my bodybuilder best friend sleeps over. He rolls a blanket around it & uses it to support his waist, while putting a pillow between his knees. Seems to be the only thing that helps.
    I've even gotten in the habit of sleeping with my waist supported, too.
    Interesting how well I sleep like that.

*drops off 2 cents...
    Special thanks to HardGainer82.
    :)

~~{@

I don't hate...
    I dislike intensely, loathe, detest, abhor, abominate, anathematize, object to, recoil from, and on the good days allergic to, spit upon, & unlove...
    or just hide the body where no one will ever find it.
    :P

*scampers off...

Steel Bending Fiend cyberpunkwriter's Avatar
    cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This usually happens to me every night, and I always sleep on my back. If my arms are crossed across my chest, or above my head, they go numb. If I straighten them they're fine. As far as I can tell it doesn't do any real harm.
    MattC.

20 rep squats ftw

~Big Dawg Crew~

Spiceygamble is just really nice. (+1000) Spiceygamble is just really nice. (+1000) Spiceygamble is just really nice. (+1000) Spiceygamble is just really nice. (+1000) Spiceygamble is just really nice. (+1000) Spiceygamble is just really nice. (+1000) Spiceygamble is just really nice. (+1000) Spiceygamble is just really nice. (+1000) Spiceygamble is just really nice. (+1000) Spiceygamble is just really nice. (+1000) Spiceygamble is just really nice. (+1000)
    If I've been doing lots of shoulder/back work, I find it gets worse...
    pillow under the ribs time...
    *thumbs up...

~~{@

I don't hate...
    I dislike intensely, loathe, detest, abhor, abominate, anathematize, object to, recoil from, and on the good days allergic to, spit upon, & unlove...

*scampers off...

jimbop99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimbop99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimbop99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimbop99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimbop99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimbop99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimbop99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimbop99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimbop99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimbop99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimbop99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This has also happened to me. In fact, when I do squats or barbell calf raises, if I'm doing a high rep set my fingers will start to go numb.

(*whispers... I'm NOT getting old, I'm NOT getting old...)

~~{@

I don't hate...

*scampers off...

exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) exguitarplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by exguitarplayer View Post
    And I thought I was the only one!!!!!! Mine fall asleep if I am in the thinking position while watching TV.....

81% I did not try....it helps
    White Flood, Green MAGnitude, Purple Wraath, Orange Triad, Cellmass, Syntha-6, 1st 6 Hour Bovine Colostrum Powder, Flax Oil, Flax Seed & NOW Omega 3/6/9

http://battleintheburgh.tripod.com

It's OK to live everyday as if it were your last, But LEARN everday as if you were going to Live forever