king_bb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) king_bb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) king_bb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) king_bb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) king_bb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) king_bb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) king_bb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) king_bb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) king_bb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) king_bb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) king_bb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Mile speeds... Runners

I used to be a competitive powerlifter and bodybuilder, but due to injuries can't lift very heavy anymore. I am working on getting into running. I am SOOooooo SLOW! Does anyone have any programs for getting a fast 1 mile time? I would like to get to a 5 min mile or lower eventually... I was running 3-4 miles every night at a slow 9min pace for about 5 weeks till I broke my leg again and needed another operation... This time I think I'll focus on fewer miles a week and more for speed at first. Any input? I ran cross-country MANY years ago.. in 8th grade...

Thanks

BBLaw30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BBLaw30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BBLaw30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BBLaw30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BBLaw30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BBLaw30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BBLaw30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BBLaw30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BBLaw30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BBLaw30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BBLaw30 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Do various interval type workouts that all total a mile.

i.e one day run 8 200's as fast as you can with rest in between. Another day run 4 400's as fast as you can with rest in between. next day run 16 100's as fast as you can and so on and so forth.

Mix it up so you're not doing the same thing all the time and your body gets used to responding to running at different speeds.

I would say after doing this interval training for a month or so if you were to run a mile as fast as you can you would be plesently suprised.

Sexual Tyrannosaurus ftwrestler's Avatar
    ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i like that too BB i will have to try it over the summer when i am trying to condition my legs

Sesquipidalian Student vxmorpheusxv's Avatar
    vxmorpheusxv is on a distinguished road. (+10) vxmorpheusxv is on a distinguished road. (+10) vxmorpheusxv is on a distinguished road. (+10) vxmorpheusxv is on a distinguished road. (+10) vxmorpheusxv is on a distinguished road. (+10) vxmorpheusxv is on a distinguished road. (+10) vxmorpheusxv is on a distinguished road. (+10) vxmorpheusxv is on a distinguished road. (+10) vxmorpheusxv is on a distinguished road. (+10) vxmorpheusxv is on a distinguished road. (+10) vxmorpheusxv is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well, it really depends on what your goals are with the running. What do you hope to do?
    Faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage.

Sesquipidalian Student vxmorpheusxv's Avatar
    vxmorpheusxv is on a distinguished road. (+10) vxmorpheusxv is on a distinguished road. (+10) vxmorpheusxv is on a distinguished road. (+10) vxmorpheusxv is on a distinguished road. (+10) vxmorpheusxv is on a distinguished road. (+10) vxmorpheusxv is on a distinguished road. (+10) vxmorpheusxv is on a distinguished road. (+10) vxmorpheusxv is on a distinguished road. (+10) vxmorpheusxv is on a distinguished road. (+10) vxmorpheusxv is on a distinguished road. (+10) vxmorpheusxv is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Exclamation

Also, no offense to BBlaw30's advice, but I don't think it wise to jump into a high intensity routine (even if the distance isn't that great) coming off of a background that includes little recent running and an operation.

I'll hold off on more detail till I get an inkling of what you hope to work towards, but the key is to start slow and make steady progress. One of the biggest mistakes people make when starting a running program is pushing themselves too fast too quickly and consequently developing some sort of injury. You may not feel tired but your body will punish you for not letting it build up strength in your bones/connective tissue etc.
    Faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage.

ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    He was done alot of strength work though. That does wonders for tendon and other connetive tissue strength. He should be alright especialy if he used to run cross country. Muscles have memory. As long as he warms up correctly and take a joint complex he is set.

Steel Bending Fiend cyberpunkwriter's Avatar
    cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You think 9 minute miles are slow? I wish I was as slow as you

Check out the forums at RW.com, they have plenty of programs and people at every level.
    MattC.

20 rep squats ftw

~Big Dawg Crew~

hockey4life28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hockey4life28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hockey4life28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hockey4life28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hockey4life28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hockey4life28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hockey4life28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hockey4life28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hockey4life28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hockey4life28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hockey4life28 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    start slow...leading factor in getting hurt while runner other then probably improper form would be doing too much too soon. start with a single mile/10minutes. then each week increase the intensity and distance by 10percent, its a slow process, but once you pick up on it and your body acclimates, youll get much faster and be going a lot farther.

as a side note, and a somewhat avid runner/cyclist...i went from a 9minute mile to a sub 6 in less then 2 months when i was getting back into condition...its possible
    Last edited by hockey4life28; 03-17-2008 at 07:52 PM.
    Coldasice18-reps on recharge...

SMac2347 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SMac2347 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SMac2347 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SMac2347 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SMac2347 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SMac2347 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SMac2347 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SMac2347 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SMac2347 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SMac2347 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SMac2347 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'd recommend mixing in some hit intensity interval track sessions like BB suggested with some longer, more endurance based runs (for your goal of a mile, I'd say anywhere from 2-7 miles). Alternate between the two; that way, you won't burn yourself out, as well as simultaneously build speed, recovery, and aerobic endurance. We used the same principle all the time in track.

darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by cyberpunkwriter View Post
    You think 9 minute miles are slow? I wish I was as slow as you

Check out the forums at RW.com, they have plenty of programs and people at every level.
    well its pretty slow i used to do 9 mins 1.25 miles when i was way slower and heavier

JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    yea start off slow..but once u can up the intensity do what BBLaw said

If u use intervals and do one endurance run a week youll be golden

darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    this might sound stupid but run with someone that has a better time then you and try to stick with him thats how i improve my times

king_bb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) king_bb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) king_bb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) king_bb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) king_bb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) king_bb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) king_bb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) king_bb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) king_bb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) king_bb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) king_bb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

hmm

I wish I had someone to run with... it's just solo 9pm running for this guy....

TheRealTmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealTmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealTmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealTmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealTmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealTmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealTmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealTmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealTmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealTmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealTmac is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How often do you plan on running? If you give me that I can help you develop a routine. I run the 800m so I know about middle distance training.

hey

I plan on running 4 days a week...

Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ladder workouts, its a beautiful thing of speed and endurance.
    Example:
    Warm up
    400m
    600m
    800m
    1000m
    800m
    600m
    400m
    200m
    With no more than 1 minute of rest, and you should be going pretty hard.
    I used to do track and XC, and we did stuff similar to this, I have others if you want, PM me and I'll find you another ladder workout.
    PhD in Broscience from Misc U.

maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000)
    my pr in the mile was 4:30 my senior year of track in highschool. I never ran again competitively after that but i wish i had stuck with it. anyway we did some speed work once a week, other than that we ran distance runs at a solid clip. monday would be speed usually, we would do something like 10x400 with 1 minute rest max and try to run all 10 400s at a 60-65 second lap pace. its a killer workout. other than that we were doing runs of about 6 miles a day at 6-7 minute mile pace. one thing that is important to remember is, muscle mass isnt really your friend in the mile or any race above it. when i ran that 4:30 mile i weighed 150 at 5'11.
    Knowing others is wisdom;
    knowing the self is enlightenment.
    Mastering others requires force;
    mastering the self needs strength.

Thumbs up nice

Lots of great info. I am just getting back into running from multiple injuries, so I don't want to start out too hardcore. I want to slowly work at my speeds and distances as it's still rough hitting even 1 1/2 miles at a fast pace without being to sore the enxt day.

flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I run cross country and distance track, and know something about distance training programs - I ran a 4:25 mile last Thursday - and honestly the best thing to do is just run. Consistency is key, no matter what, so if you're really looking for a good time seven days a week is best.

Not hard seven days a week, but just getting out there.

Basically, forget about intervals until you have a mileage base, honestly.

If you're just starting out, you'll start adapting to longer running about a week- week and a half after the first day. Drop the watch and run by feel, forget about aiming for a pace. Just go for something you can handle and finish 2.5-3.5 miles a day the first week. Most importantly, having someone to run with is invaluable, and will really push you much farther... so if you can find someone else interested, that's fantastic. Bump it up a little the next week, to all 3.5 miles a day or something, and stick with it. Throw in two five mile runs the week after, separated by an easier 3.5 mile day or something, and just get it done.

If you stay on the program, you should be up to about 40-45 miles per week by the end of two months or so. You can start changing up your runs after the first month or so, like:

Mon 4 miles
    Tues 7 miles
    Wed 5.5 miles
    Thurs 6.5 miles
    Fri 7 miles
    Sat 6 miles
    Sun 8 miles
    ~ 44 miles total

Try and throw in one long run once a week, and again, don't worry about the pace so much. Sure, you won't want to be at 9:00 mile pace, but I'll guarantee that after the first month and a half all the new runners on our XC team could hit 7:30 or 7:45 pace easily for up to 10 miles. And once you can run five miles comfortably, you can run anywhere from 5 to 10 without a problem. And don't forget rest after long runs!

At the end of my first summer, where we ran every weekday with the team for three months, I ran a local 5k (3.1 miles) and hit 5:31 easily for the first mile. I got 4:46 for the mile later that year in track season.

You have to put in the mileage base before you can do the intervals. I promise. A great running coach once said something along the lines of your final times and fitness for the season being determined the moment you finish your base training. If you do them too early, you'll likely get worn out and injured, lack the fitness to finish the quality sessions you might be, and most critically just burn out mentally - the most important thing is to just keep running. If you need a goal to work toward during your training, it's a lot of fun to find a local road race one weekend and give it a try.

Switch up the runs, too. You can try fartleks after the second month, which are planned surges in the middle of the run (two minutes hard, one minute easy jog, repeat, etc.) or tempo runs (hard sustained pace for 3-4 miles, 2 mile warmup and 2 mile cooldown, etc.) and so on. And throw in some hills!

Once you have built a mileage base (which'll take 3-3.5 months for a decent one), you can start the intervals.

You can do repeat 400's on the track, maybe 8-12 with 1:30 or 2:00 rest, or a ladder workout (200, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 800, 600, 400, 200), or something.

But in the end, you just have to get running, hope that helps a bit! It's different for everybody, so just ask if you have any questions, but I guarantee miles are the most important thing.
    Last edited by flipnch1nese7; 03-19-2008 at 08:47 PM.

You really think I should start out with that much? I am just coming back from some pretty rough injuries and multiple reconstructive operations on my leg. I have been cleared for exrecise after the last operation to remove most of the plates and screws from my left leg, but that seems a little too much pavement pounding so soon... 3.5miles everyday is quite a bit.. I haven't done anything in a while...

Originally Posted by flipnch1nese7 View Post
    I run cross country and distance track, and know something about distance training programs - I ran a 4:25 mile last Thursday - and honestly the best thing to do is just run. Consistency is key, no matter what, so if you're really looking for a good time seven days a week is best.

Not hard seven days a week, but just getting out there.

Basically, forget about intervals until you have a mileage base, honestly.

If you're just starting out, you'll start adapting to longer running about a week- week and a half after the first day. Drop the watch and run by feel, forget about aiming for a pace. Just go for something you can handle and finish 2.5-3.5 miles a day the first week. Most importantly, having someone to run with is invaluable, and will really push you much farther... so if you can find someone else interested, that's fantastic. Bump it up a little the next week, to all 3.5 miles a day or something, and stick with it. Throw in two five mile runs the week after, separated by an easier 3.5 mile day or something, and just get it done.

If you stay on the program, you should be up to about 40-45 miles per week by the end of two months or so. You can start changing up your runs after the first month or so, like:

Mon 4 miles
    Tues 7 miles
    Wed 5.5 miles
    Thurs 6.5 miles
    Fri 7 miles
    Sat 6 miles
    Sun 8 miles
    ~ 44 miles total

Try and throw in one long run once a week, and again, don't worry about the pace so much. Sure, you won't want to be at 9:00 mile pace, but I'll guarantee that after the first month and a half all the new runners on our XC team could hit 7:30 or 7:45 pace easily for up to 10 miles. And once you can run five miles comfortably, you can run anywhere from 5 to 10 without a problem. And don't forget rest after long runs!

At the end of my first summer, where we ran every weekday with the team for three months, I ran a local 5k (3.1 miles) and hit 5:31 easily for the first mile. I got 4:46 for the mile later that year in track season.

You have to put in the mileage base before you can do the intervals. I promise. A great running coach once said something along the lines of your final times and fitness for the season being determined the moment you finish your base training. If you do them too early, you'll likely get worn out and injured, lack the fitness to finish the quality sessions you might be, and most critically just burn out mentally - the most important thing is to just keep running. If you need a goal to work toward during your training, it's a lot of fun to find a local road race one weekend and give it a try.

Switch up the runs, too. You can try fartleks after the second month, which are planned surges in the middle of the run (two minutes hard, one minute easy jog, repeat, etc.) or tempo runs (hard sustained pace for 3-4 miles, 2 mile warmup and 2 mile cooldown, etc.) and so on. And throw in some hills!

Once you have built a mileage base (which'll take 3-3.5 months for a decent one), you can start the intervals.

You can do repeat 400's on the track, maybe 8-12 with 1:30 or 2:00 rest, or a ladder workout (200, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 800, 600, 400, 200), or something.

But in the end, you just have to get running, hope that helps a bit! It's different for everybody, so just ask if you have any questions, but I guarantee miles are the most important thing.

flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by king_bb View Post
    You really think I should start out with that much? I am just coming back from some pretty rough injuries and multiple reconstructive operations on my leg. I have been cleared for exrecise after the last operation to remove most of the plates and screws from my left leg, but that seems a little too much pavement pounding so soon... 3.5miles everyday is quite a bit.. I haven't done anything in a while...
    Ah I didn't know about that! I promise 3-3.5 miles a day will be fine by the third week, guaranteed, your legs adapt faster than you think, but the injury complicates things.

Start out slow, definitely, and the moment you feel any strange pain (besides usual running fatigue) stop and get it checked out. A doctor's going to know more than I do, but anyone will agree your health is most important.

Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000)
    My old coach said about a 10-15% increase in mileage a week would allow sufficient time to adapt to the stresses on running, coming off serious injuries I'd play it safe bro
    PhD in Broscience from Misc U.

alright!

Alright.. I'll hold you to that... even against all my medical training and history I'll do it... but if I break my leg for a 4th time it's all you! haha...

Originally Posted by flipnch1nese7 View Post
    Ah I didn't know about that! I promise 3-3.5 miles a day will be fine by the third week, guaranteed, your legs adapt faster than you think, but the injury complicates things.

Start out slow, definitely, and the moment you feel any strange pain (besides usual running fatigue) stop and get it checked out. A doctor's going to know more than I do, but anyone will agree your health is most important.

Help

MAKE ME FAST....

I have cut about 15 sec of my mile pace since last week for 1 1/2 miles... not too bad... I hope I can keep this up.... I'm doing 2 miles all next week starting on sunday...then tuesday... then thursday... then saturday... I'll add just one 400m sprint after the 1st mile...

Thumbs up Keep it up

sounds great. I had to deal with the same stuff when i tore a hip flexor

it hurts

boo, my leg aches.. I've decided to wrap it while I run and I'm getting an X-ray this week to make sure that the bone hasn't broken at one of the holes yet... I have to be careful since there are still 15 holes through my fibula...