Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Book Club!

NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Thumbs up

Just found this thread. Hi, everyone! A Book Club - what a swell idea! (Yes, bookworm.) I'm currently reading "Savage" by Richard Laymon. It's a spin on the true murders and life of Jack the Ripper. Without giving anything away, and very briefly: In 1888, in London, a 15-year-boy is hiding underneath a motel bed in England when ol' Jack has a bit of fun with a whore. The boy makes it his business to go on a quest across England (and the Wild West in the United States, which he sails to eventually) to hunt Jack down and stop him from committing more murders. It's actually quite a fun, adventurous tale what with all the characters that he meets along the way. The date and setting are very atypical Laymon style, but it's a good read nonetheless.

And I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if no one here has never even heard of Richard Laymon.

He's one of my favorite authors. Though not extremely popular in the U.S., he was quite well-liked in the UK and British Columbia and other places overseas. Now that he's dead (he died, I believe, in 2001), an American publisher has bought the rights and is now publishing (or re-publishing and printing) his novels and selling them in America. You can find his books at any major bookstore now. He mostly writes horror/suspense. If that's your cup o' tea, you should check him out. I highly recommend him to anyone who likes a good, adventurous horror book - and doesn't mind a little gore.
    "If you're looking for a quick fix, you're in the wrong sport. Bodybuilding is a lifetime journey, not an overnight jaunt." - NaturalMsO

★☆★★☆
    "MRS tAkin ova?"
    "Yes, the women are taking over."
    ★☆★★☆

DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by AbramsAM View Post
    I just ordered mine through an interlibrary loan thing -i'll let everyone know when I get it!
    That sounds interesting... I'd like that for books such as The Riders, then I could just trade it out. Is that a local thing? Or an online thing?

About the book... I finally figured out what "***" meant! LOL I was like hmmm through the first half because he kept using that term... cigarettes. Okay. a pack of ***s! lol!

I finished. It was like the book came to the exciting part and held you there and dropped off quickly. I'd rate it a 6 because of the launguage used (otherwise it'd get a 4) Brilliant sentances here and there... usally the last sentance of a chapter I noticed.

So where are the other Rider's readers at?

Anyone know what meaning the "Riders" had to do with it? I'm coming up with some kind of "life changing" "chapter" the Rider's marking something bad yet to come... But I don't think that's right? Is this an Irish thing? Bloody Riders?
    Long way to go.

My journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107002931

My puppy website! Check it out!
    www.riversidegermanshepherds.com

NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What's everyone reading now? I just finished "Savage" by Richard Laymon (see my previous post, two posts up) - and it was really, really good. Such an adventure!

I've got so many books in my library that I haven't read yet. Tonight, I'm going to examine them and select one. Will probably go with either the new book by Harlan Coben or James Patterson.

Happy weekend, bookworms!
    "If you're looking for a quick fix, you're in the wrong sport. Bodybuilding is a lifetime journey, not an overnight jaunt." - NaturalMsO

★☆★★☆
    "MRS tAkin ova?"
    ★☆★★☆

Seeking my inner Amazon NotTooLate's Avatar
    NotTooLate is a name known to all. (+5000) NotTooLate is a name known to all. (+5000) NotTooLate is a name known to all. (+5000) NotTooLate is a name known to all. (+5000) NotTooLate is a name known to all. (+5000) NotTooLate is a name known to all. (+5000) NotTooLate is a name known to all. (+5000) NotTooLate is a name known to all. (+5000) NotTooLate is a name known to all. (+5000) NotTooLate is a name known to all. (+5000) NotTooLate is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Tell me about it. I've got over 600 books on my shelves and many of them unread because I usually give away the ones I've read unless they are reference books, I want to read them again, or they are part of a set of a favorite author. I haven't read much since starting a healthy living lifestyle. I've stopped buying books because I have to read the ones I've already got! There are so many I can't even decide on one lol Besides this, I often get one from the library to read which makes it take longer to get through my own pile lol
    I used to read about 80 books a year and that's waaay down.
    Bodybuilding: striving to defeat your own demons and overcome self imposed limitations.

Martial arts: the ideal rhythm of a movement is manifested as powerful grace.

Sang H. Kim Ph. D.

valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have about two chapters to go...

I think reading the book you definitely get the sense of frustration, of not knowing where a loved one is, getting close and then they slip away. I am guessing that the ending will be alot like other Tim Winton books i.e. doesn't answer much LOL

Its weird because I used to have a dream about my partner all the time, where I was travelling around and just couldn't find them, I would be so close to him and then he would vanish. Maybe that's why I relate to the book. I should look my dream up, although I can guess what it means. Leaves a yucky feeling in your gut....

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Not a book club book... and not really 'reading material' either... in fact, you could pretty much finish the book over one cup of coffee...

But it is something interesting to flick through - if only to spark your own interest and self-reflection:

Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous and Obscure

Have a ponder --> What six words would you choose?

AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    My book is here! So are we starting Chasing Daylight yet? Or are people still finding their book?

AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by DeannaOnlyne View Post
    That sounds interesting... I'd like that for books such as The Riders, then I could just trade it out. Is that a local thing? Or an online thing?
    I used the university library I work at to order it for me, but if you go to any public library, they almost always have an interlibrary loan program. This is just a way for them to meet the needs of their customers when they don't have a book. They make arrangements with other librarys to share books

DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I used the university library I work at to order it for me, but if you go to any public library, they almost always have an interlibrary loan program. This is just a way for them to meet the needs of their customers when they don't have a book. They make arrangements with other librarys to share books
    I'll have to check out the libraries in my area. I lived in a county before that did that, but since I moved I've only checked out one library, and it's never had a single book I was looking for.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Horray though, I got Chasing Daylight today in the mail. Except, it smells like old book... ick. oh well. It sounds inspiring.

Who else is reading Chasing Daylight? Anyone still reading The Riders?
    Last edited by DeannaOnlyne; 04-11-2008 at 06:07 PM. Reason: just wanted to add the rider's question
    Long way to go.

My journal:

Unhappy My Bad

My book is here! So are we starting Chasing Daylight yet? Or are people still finding their book?
    Sorry. I think I just jumped right into this thread without realizing what it was truly about. Didn't realize you all were planning to read the same book together and discuss it. I thought this was just a "Book Club" to talk about books/authors in general. No wonder no one responded to my post. LOL

Sorry!

★☆★★☆
    "MRS tAkin ova?"
    ★☆★★☆

pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am just sitting back quietly waiting for everyone to finish The Riders.

How is everyone doing?

Wink

Originally Posted by NaturalMsO View Post
    Sorry. I think I just jumped right into this thread without realizing what it was truly about. Didn't realize you all were planning to read the same book together and discuss it. I thought this was just a "Book Club" to talk about books/authors in general. No wonder no one responded to my post. LOL

Sorry!
    You actually got me thinking about the authors that are popular or not... I get stuck on authors and read all their stuff... But I don't follow with who's popular or not... I'm kind of a dork when it comes to famous names etc... I'm like... hmmm I might have heard of him before!

I've been trying to read classics, books that it seems everyone read in college... Sense and Sensablity, Wuthering Heights, Crime and Punishment... I'm glad I did, they are good... and I get why they are classics.

Anyhow, I held off posting... don't know why... but I guess feel embarrased when I'm just blabbing on and on! That's why I started in the journaling section, I can just go on and on and it's okay! {dork}

So, are you going to get the book Chasing Daylight? It's the next one we are suposed to read. Then I'm guessing we'll all get to vote and pick another one.
    Long way to go.

My journal:

You actually got me thinking about the authors that are popular or not... I get stuck on authors and read all their stuff... But I don't follow with who's popular or not... I'm kind of a dork when it comes to famous names etc... I'm like... hmmm I might have heard of him before!

I've been trying to read classics, books that it seems everyone read in college... Sense and Sensablity, Wuthering Heights, Crime and Punishment... I'm glad I did, they are good... and I get why they are classics.

Anyhow, I held off posting... don't know why... but I guess feel embarrased when I'm just blabbing on and on! That's why I started in the journaling section, I can just go on and on and it's okay! {dork}

So, are you going to get the book Chasing Daylight? It's the next one we are suposed to read. Then I'm guessing we'll all get to vote and pick another one.
    Well, good! Then, I'm glad my post wasn't a total waste.

I might jump in on the next book that everyone reads, but not this one because I've just started "Going Home: Jesus and Buddha as Brothers" by Thich Nhat Hanh.

Never heard of "Chasing Daylight," but I'll check it out. Thanks!

★☆★★☆
    "MRS tAkin ova?"
    ★☆★★☆

I might jump in on the next book that everyone reads, but not this one because I've just started "Going Home: Jesus and Buddha as Brothers" by Thich Nhat Hanh.

I'd like to hear what that one's about... Sounds interesting.
    Long way to go.

My journal:

twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Well, to be honest, i think the book club is dying...lol..maybe too hard to coordinate..we could just talk about our favorite books and authors to give each other ideas of what to read!?
    "Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe. ": Saint Augustine

"So what exactly would you say you DO here??"

"Does this suit make me look fat??"
    "No, your face does."

amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I read "Living Buddha, Living Christ" by Thich Nhat Hanh. Very inspiring writer.

Originally Posted by amy78 View Post
    I read "Living Buddha, Living Christ" by Thich Nhat Hanh. Very inspiring writer.
    Yes, indeed!

Originally Posted by DeannaOnlyne
    I'd like to hear what that one's about... Sounds interesting.
    You can read more about it here:

http://www.amazon.de/Going-Home-Jesu...ion/1573228303

★☆★★☆
    "MRS tAkin ova?"
    ★☆★★☆

Well, I have Chasing Daylight - and I think a few other people do too - so I'm going to start that one and I'll talk about it if anyone wants to join.

First few pages seems like it will be a good, easy read

Thanks! Lazy me! I coulda done that! Duh!!! That book sounds really great, just down my alley. Ever since I read Da Vinci Code, I have this mindful of religion stuff that just fascinates me. Have you ever read The Red Tent?? By Anita Diamant.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/pro...283155&s=books (I'll return the favor!! )

Well, I have Chasing Daylight - and I think a few other people do too - so I'm going to start that one and I'll talk about it if anyone wants to join.

First few pages seems like it will be a good, easy read
    Okay, I'll second this one! I've to it too and I'll start reading it tonight. I've been waiting to start. But I'll be joining in the talking!
    Long way to go.

My journal:

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'll second this one! I've to it too and I'll start reading it tonight. I've been waiting to start. But I'll be joining in the talking!
    ohhh - YAY! Progress... two people reading the next book!

Can't wait to hear what you guys think....

Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post

I can already tell it is going to be a quick read, I am on page 50 already and I feel like I barely picked it up!

Deanna How far are you, I don't want to ruin any of the story for you

Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post

Have you read it before?

I can already tell it is going to be a quick read, I am on page 50 already and I feel like I barely picked it up!

Deanna How far are you, I don't want to ruin any of the story for you
    I'm on the last two pages of the first chapter.

I love the introduction... About the Sounds of the Fireworks. Saying "You never know how you'll be surprised." It is just such a comforting, yet exciting. It's like the life long birthday present...

Also... the quote by Socrates... For anything that men can tell, death may be the greatest good that can happen to them: but they fear it as if they know quite well that it was the greatest of evils. And what is this but that shameful ignorane of thinking that we know what we do not know...

I had to read it several times, but it's great! I never studied Socrates, but I'd like to! although as much thinking as I put into it, it would probably take me a life time!

I like this book so far... I am glad to say that I've consiously lived as much as my life as I can. My Aunt died in her early 30's leaving two children under age 6 behind... I was blessed, by her death, with the "gift" of realizing that at any moment it could all be gone... I watch my kids, take in their every moments. At times when it feels like life is just whizzing by, I make sure I hit a low gear and start cruising again... Drive 55... How often do you drive 55???
    Long way to go.

My journal:

Ridge4120 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ridge4120 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ridge4120 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ridge4120 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ridge4120 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ridge4120 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ridge4120 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ridge4120 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ridge4120 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ridge4120 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ridge4120 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Talking

I just found this thread and LOVE it. I'm an avid reader myself. I'm currently reading a recommendation from my boss, "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil"...just started it, so it should be interesting.

Two of my all-time favorite books are Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should read next? I'm not a picky reader, I'll try anything as long as it keeps my interest.

Oh, those were awesome books! I loved the history of the region, the culture descriptions. The vast differences between my reality and other realities of the world that exist only here.

Have you read any Mitch Album?
    Long way to go.

My journal:

Where'd everyone go?! I'm still pluggin away at Chasing Daylight... I've been so busy lately I havent' had time to read except in the bathroom! Saying I was a fast reader made me look like a liar these past few weeks!
    Long way to go.

My journal:

pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I finish Chasing Daylight weeks ago. I'm still waiting for folks to chime in that they've finished The Riders.

I am currently Cloudstreet (also by Tim Winton). I like it better than The Riders. It has taken me several weeks to read though as I've been on vacation. I hope I'll finish it over the weekend.