Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Book Club!

pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Mine are on a slow truck from Oregon to Florida. I might get them by May :-)

AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by twinnett View Post
    I started reading The Riders. So far, I really like how descriptive the writing is. His imagery is wonderful. How is everyone else doing so far?
    I have also found the descriptions to be elaborate, which is fine - but his wording and descriptions kinda throw me off. I just picked up my book yesterday and read two chapters just to get a feel for the book - but I feel like it takes my undivided attention to pay attention to his descriptions! Seems to me that there is more emphasis on description than there is on plot. But then again, that seems to be true for me for many of the books that are must reads according to American literature.

twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Good point! I too find myself flipping ahead looking for the plot about his wife and daughter to begin!!
    "Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe. ": Saint Augustine

"So what exactly would you say you DO here??"

"Does this suit make me look fat??"
    "No, your face does."

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by twinnett View Post
    Good point! I too find myself flipping ahead looking for the plot about his wife and daughter to begin!!
    LOL - now you know why I don't like that writer! I get too impatient... "WHO CARES??!! Just tell me WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?!"

ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ahh, that's the beauty of having read it years ago....I'm not plot driven, I can happily mosy along with the rythym of his words
    "My mummy loves protein" sung, LOUDLY, by 3yo daughter while shopping!!!

Come visit my journal at - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1554851

DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by pbolton1 View Post
    Mine are on a slow truck from Oregon to Florida. I might get them by May :-)
    LOL I just got mine yesterday. It came from Mass. to Cali... We shoulda swapped dealers!

I just finished the book I was reading today, so it's perfect timing... I hope though that I'll be able to get into it quick-like, I always have a problem jumping from one writer style to the next... I just finished reading Wuthering Heights. It's not so bad as some 17th century reading though, like Pride and Prejudice... So we'll see how it goes!
    Long way to go.

My journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107002931

My puppy website! Check it out!
    www.riversidegermanshepherds.com

pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Mine came today as well. I'm going to try to read a chapter before bed.

DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question

Well I stopped last night at chapter 5.. Are we going to set chapter limits? It would be good to advise me soon!!!

I can see what you mean about not getting to the point... but actually I was into the scene. I love the idea of Ireland, and old and musty projects just seem to be something I dream about! But I feel like I really know this guy already... It's hard to describe someone's face, but this author gave a real mental picture, especially the post man!!! Red hair, big ears and a cap! And couldn't you just feel him drink his beer!!! LOL I think that some of the comments from here were in my head about the detail, so I was paying more attention than I otherwise would have!
    Long way to go.

My journal:

twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I agree that I love the idea of being in Ireland, and I can really put myself in the scene...damp and misty, working in the old house.
    "Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe. ": Saint Augustine

"No, your face does."

I would really love to have a dinner of potatoes with butter, soda bread & Guinness!

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    ohhh... did someone say soda bread?!

valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Picked up my book today at the second hand bookshop

Originally Posted by AbramsAM View Post
    I have also found the descriptions to be elaborate, which is fine - but his wording and descriptions kinda throw me off. I just picked up my book yesterday and read two chapters just to get a feel for the book - but I feel like it takes my undivided attention to pay attention to his descriptions! Seems to me that there is more emphasis on description than there is on plot. But then again, that seems to be true for me for many of the books that are must reads according to American literature.
    I think this book's descriptions are tough too because it's an Australian in Ireland. We're getting two different dialects which, for me are unfamiliar... If I don't get the "word" I can get the ghist of it by the time the paragraph is over... I'm starting to want to skip some long paragraphs, but then I feel like I'll miss a small clue to the puzzle, so I read them...

I liked the last couple sentances of Chapter 8... He is comparing the worked lands of Ireland vs. the raw lands of Australia... I like the thinking that it invites. the old vs. the new, the tried vs. the experimental.
    Long way to go.

My journal:

sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000)
    Tim Winton the writer of the book actually went to the same university as me and did the exact same course as me. He lives in the South West of Western Australia. I really enjoyed "Cloud Street" and we studied it at uni, but I haven't really enjoyed all of his other stories that I have read. I haven't read The Riders, but I can imagine that it must be hard for all of you non-Australians would find his writing a little difficult to totally understand as he is very big on "Australianisms" and the old tradition or stereotype of Australian culture.

I am just starting chapter 10. I have to admit, this one is not a page turner for me...usually I can finish a book in a few hours. I find myself sort of zoning out..lol..

I am having a hard time relating to and really liking the main character, which is always a big selling point for me. I don't feel attached to him in any way or feel like I'm really "getting" him yet.

I'm going to keep plugging away though.

I think I need a trip to Ireland AND Australia to really understand the depths of the book!

My church book club just read "My Antonia", which I enjoyed, and we're doing "In the Fall" for next month

"No, your face does."

valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Tara I think you are nearly at the "exciting" bit which might get you more into it.

I was thinking about some terminology he uses and how it may be difficult for the US book clubbers! Sometimes I struggle with the some Irish terms or cultural references.

I think its the rich descriptions intertwined with the 'Australianisms' that I love about this writer.

I am intrigued by his wife and I loved when he said that she was good at everything but wanted to be a genius at one thing. Reminded me of myself..i have always felt I have breadth but not depth!

Finished!!!

I actually loved the descriptive writing. Too many books written today seem terribly simple to me. I really like having to think about the words and trying to visualize the story.

I wasn't terribly thrilled with the story/plot though. I don't want to spoil it for anyone though.

I'm done too...also wasn't thrilled w/ the plot/ending either...

"No, your face does."

Very interesting, but I just didn't get a lot of it. How things meshed together, was there more meaning than I understood? Hmmm....

Anybody else finished?

I bought another one of his books--can't remember to title right now. I hope it is better.

What book is next?

I'd like to do "Chasing Daylight" next...sounds good!

Yeah..I was wondering the same thing...if I should have gotten more out of it..I feel kind of like his wife sometimes...I'm ok at lots of things, but I wish there was something that I was genius at!

"No, your face does."

Ok, I will start that one tonight.

I feel exactly the same way. I tried piano, but I never much progressed beyond kid stuff. My teacher finally quit teaching. It wasn't gonna happen for me--NO musical talent. I love to paint, but haven't done it in years (kids took up too much of my time.) Now I just don't want to sit on my ass so long!

I love the bb because it is something that I actually am pretty good at! Not to ever compete. I mostly likely would have done well in that if I had been persistent when I was young. Too late now as I total screwed my body with all the weight gain & loss ;-(

Wow, when you said you were quick, you were quick! LOL Good, at least I'm not the fastest speed reader here!

I am having a hard time with this book... I am sick of the twisty lurking almost maybe going to find her chapters... I'm in "Greece" right now what ever chapter that is... last night I tried to skip ahead to see if there was any end to the "madness" but didn't seem to have found anything except that it was only about 10 days to the end of the book! OMG, how can someone just write on and on about that few of days! Anyhow, so I've sort of cheated on the book... I guess I'm not so good at suspensfull pages.

I do like the descriptions still... Like I felt like I could have been really in Greece... BUt I'm starting to not like the guy more and more, like there is something wrong with him...

I just ordered Chasing Daylight.

Has anyone read any Mitch Albom books? I've got his newest one sitting here waiting for me to read it..."For One More Day"
    Long way to go.

My journal:

I bought Cloudstreet but haven't started it yet. I was a bit disapointed that there wasn't more "Australianism" in this book. The Irish stuff I get mostly as I have quite a few friends who are Irish. I also have an Aussie friend and I usually have no clue what she's talking about!

I am quick because I don't get anything else done while I'm reading a book ;-)
    "BUt I'm starting to not like the guy more and more, like there is something wrong with him..." I'm still not sure?

I don't want to ruin the book for anyone. HURRY <LOL>

I have about 50 pages left in Chasing Daylight. Will finish that one up tonight. Very easy read.

Originally Posted by pbolton1 View Post
    I have about 50 pages left in Chasing Daylight. Will finish that one up tonight. Very easy read.
    When did we start this one??

I though we were still waiting for people to finish the first book???

AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    When did we start this one??

I though we were still waiting for people to finish the first book???
    So..Should I still get this book? Where is everyone else at in reading it?

pbolton - you are fast

Yeah...I don't think most people finished the first one yet! I haven't even gotten "Chasing Daylight" yet!

"No, your face does."

I just ordered mine through an interlibrary loan thing -i'll let everyone know when I get it!

SORRY!!! Just on a reading frenzy here ;-)

I have another Winton book that I'll start on. I just haven't read in a while & really enjoying it. I'm just avoiding other stuff that I should get done & don't want to <LOL>

I'm not getting emails about posts in here. I wonder if that's another of bb.com's programming issues?