Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Book Club!

twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000)

Book Club!

Ok..It's been suggested that we start a book club. We'll pick a book and read it a little at a time and discuss it.

Here are the suggestions so far:

1) The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan

Description: In a coming of age story about a woman who loved being a girl and the things that made her finally grow up, debut memoirist Kelly Corrigan brilliantlycaptures herlarger-than-life, Irish-American, born-salesman father, alongside memories of her childhoodreal, poignant, and often hilariousand her very adult battle with breast cancer. It's about that "middle place" between childhood and adulthood, and how one woman made the leap over to the other side.

2) Stillness Speaks by Eckhart Tolle

Description: Tolle illuminates the fundamental elements of his teaching, addressing the needs of the modern seeker by drawing from all spiritual traditions. "Stillness Speaks" takes the form of 200 individual entries, organized into 10 topic clusters.
    Description: Stillness Speaks is the long-awaited second book of now world-renowned author and teacher Eckhart Tolle. Like his first book, The Power of Now, this book conveys its timely, powerful, and transformational content in exquisitely clear language. It, too, is destined to stand as a spiritual classic.

3) Chasing Daylight by Gene O'Kelly

Description: This "New York Times" bestseller is the honest, touching, and ultimately inspirational memoir of former KPMG CEO Eugene O'Kelly, completed in the three-and-a-half months between his diagnosis with brain cancer and his death. This paperback edition features a new Foreword by his wife, Corinne.

4) The Riders by Tim Winton

Description: Anticipating the arrival of his wife and child in Ireland, Fred Scully is devastated when his little girl appears alone at the airport. She carries no note, and offers no explanation for her mother's absence. As father and daughter frantically search Europe for the woman who has mysteriously abandoned them, Tim Winton paints a searing portrait of how one love destroys a man--and another saves him. "Satisfies on every level".--The Washington Post Book World.

LET'S TAKE A VOTE!!!! WE'LL VOTE THROUGH THIS FRIDAY AND MAYBE START READING ON MONDAY? Let me know what you all think!
    "Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe. ": Saint Augustine

"So what exactly would you say you DO here??"

"Does this suit make me look fat??"
    "No, your face does."

AgeRage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AgeRage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AgeRage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AgeRage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AgeRage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AgeRage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AgeRage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AgeRage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AgeRage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AgeRage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AgeRage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I vote for "Chasing Daylight"

"Strong, pure and happy thoughts build up the body in vigor and grace."
    - James Allen

1 Corinthians 6:19-20

www.mymonavie.com/proverb16
    Best product I have found that is a way to get your fruit, great for an active lifestyle, and VERY macro friendly..........not to mention an amazing opportunity

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by AgeRage View Post
    I vote for "Chasing Daylight"
    ^^ same as my vote (but does it still count if I was the person who nominated the book in the first place )

Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Going against the grain and voting for "The Middle Place." I would vote for Tolle's book, as I truly believe everyone should read it, but I've already read it
    Simp's Back: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165133671&page=1

Working to regain strength, muscle, endurance, and lose some blubber. Damn you drinking-wine-on-the-couch. Why are you so good?

valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    LOL well i'm voting for the book i nominated "The Riders" second is "Chasing Daylight".

ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm voting for The Riders, cause it's been a million years since I read it and I'm interested to see how it affects me now I'm a mummy!

Second choice is Chasing Daylight....but I'd prefer to wait until after 30 April...I'm going to give it to my work-aholic husband for his birthday
    "My mummy loves protein" sung, LOUDLY, by 3yo daughter while shopping!!!

Come visit my journal at - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1554851

Net1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Net1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Net1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Net1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Net1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Net1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Net1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Net1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Net1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Net1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Net1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I vote for Chasing Daylight or The Riders. BTW, the book club is a great idea!
    Net

Wattsup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wattsup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wattsup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wattsup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wattsup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wattsup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wattsup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wattsup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wattsup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wattsup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wattsup is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My vote...the Riders!

AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I vote for The Riders

amj0883 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) amj0883 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) amj0883 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) amj0883 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) amj0883 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) amj0883 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) amj0883 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) amj0883 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) amj0883 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) amj0883 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) amj0883 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Chasing Daylight or The Riders - they both sound great!
    *Mandy*

How bout them Cowboys?? :D

If you wanna get big - you gotta get nasty!

Join along on the journey: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=7127501

Love it one rep at a time and never lose the passion for the journey in itself...

DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Oh, how wonderful!!! I've been wanting to be in a book club for so long!! I haven't read any of the books so I'll be happy just to know the result of the vote! Great idea, I'm glad I happened to be looking in this thread today!
    Long way to go.

My journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107002931

My puppy website! Check it out!
    www.riversidegermanshepherds.com

twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ok...I say we go for The Riders first?? Then Chasing Daylight next maybe..what do you guys think??
    "Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe. ": Saint Augustine

"No, your face does."

ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ubermumma is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    DONE: I'm off to the library in the morning

Come visit my journal at - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1554851

pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Can I join in too? I've started reading a couple of days a week while on the stationary bicycle. I've been looking for things to read. I'll go by the book store tomorrow.

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by twinnett View Post
    Ok...I say we go for The Riders first?? Then Chasing Daylight next maybe..what do you guys think??
    *sob* awwww... other way... dang... Can I join after the riders?? I really don't like that writer!

AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AbramsAM has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Ok - The Riders then Chasing Daylight.

I'm off to go get em!

pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbolton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Neither of our bookstore had The Riders. I'll need to order it from Amazon. When are we going to start?

valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    LOL Emma. No Tim Winton for you. Yay our uni library has a copy, i'll pick it up tomorrow.

MAANGER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Can I join????? I am excitted, havent read a good book for too long...too many magazines.

DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeannaOnlyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question

So how is this going to go? I read too fast. Or too much. Or what ever it is, my books never last longer than a couple of days. :/

So I am going to the store tonight (Body for Life and the Riders on my list!) But you said we'd read it a little at a time. Want to talk about that more?
    Long way to go.

My journal:

I read pretty quick too. Actually, once I start, I just can't put a good book down. Don't hurry too much though. Mine are ordered from Amazon, so it will be a few days. Just long enough to finish up the current book.

Steel Bending Fiend cyberpunkwriter's Avatar
    cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyberpunkwriter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If this is seriously going to happen, I wouldn't mind joining...if you all can stomach the fact that I'm into hard SF.
    MattC.

20 rep squats ftw

~Big Dawg Crew~

Yes, my book will be here in a couple of days too. I went to the book store all happy because I had a babysitter! And they didn't have either book I was looking for. Then I thought I'd go to the library... Nope! Ended up back home on amazon, but saved a lot of $$ compared to what I would have paid at the store!
    Long way to go.

My journal:

I have mine ordered through Borders, but might still go through Amazon if it will get here faster.

Mine is on order through Border's too....I also am a quick reader! Maybe we should set a limit a day, then discuss it??

"No, your face does."

I borrowed mine from the library yesterday, but I'm slow (or time poor!)...I've only read 4 chapters

I will borrow mine today. I am a quick reader when I have the time LOL. I might read ahead this weekend, cause I am sure I won't have time during the week! Plus I have to finish my current book "Infidel"...very interesting read!

Mine is still not here :-( I used the free Amazon shipping, but I'm hoping I'll get it by the weekend. In the meantime, I am attempting to learn something from my daughter's anatomy text from college. Key word is ATTEMPTING!!! That is going to be work.

Infidel sounds very interesting. Good reviews on Amazon. I am more in the mood for some fiction right now, but I think I'll put that on my Amazon wish list.

I started reading The Riders. So far, I really like how descriptive the writing is. His imagery is wonderful. How is everyone else doing so far?

"No, your face does."

Bring on the DOMS!! Mrs_Muscles's Avatar
    Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I would totally be into the book club if I wasn't reading so darn much for school right now But, if you end up reading another book around say, May-ish, I'd be in! That way I'm on Summer break and can read the book while lounging in my back yard in a bikini to soak up some sun!