Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    skubaman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skubaman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skubaman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skubaman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skubaman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skubaman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skubaman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skubaman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skubaman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skubaman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Making a better oatmeal!

Guys,
    I know how important it is to eat oats and oatmeal is a great easy way to do it.
    The things is that I hate the plain oatmeal but like the flavored ones. Well, the problem with the flavored ones is sugar.

I am trying to cut sugar to keep metabolism high.

Do you guys have any suggestions on ways to give some taste or sweeten the plain oatmeal?

Other suggestions?

Thanks so much

To be Healthy & Lean Going4Lean's Avatar
    Going4Lean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Going4Lean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Going4Lean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Going4Lean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Going4Lean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Going4Lean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Going4Lean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Going4Lean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Going4Lean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Going4Lean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Going4Lean is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just use cinnamon and Splenda. It just gives it the right amount of extra flavor. You could put in some banana or diced apples, as another way to sweeten.
    ~Shelly~

"Burning fat and transforming your body is simple, but it's not easy. You gotta work at it. But if you're willing to put the work in, you will take out the rewards!"

**I'm working with a weight lifting restriction, due to surgery repair, but I'm still making great progress.**

skubaman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skubaman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skubaman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skubaman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skubaman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skubaman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skubaman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skubaman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skubaman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skubaman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I like the cinnamon and splenda idea, I could even pre-mixed them.
    As far as banana or apple, I do love fruits, but I am trying to keep sugar intake low.

Thanks

Baseball_Guy is a name known to all. (+5000) Baseball_Guy is a name known to all. (+5000) Baseball_Guy is a name known to all. (+5000) Baseball_Guy is a name known to all. (+5000) Baseball_Guy is a name known to all. (+5000) Baseball_Guy is a name known to all. (+5000) Baseball_Guy is a name known to all. (+5000) Baseball_Guy is a name known to all. (+5000) Baseball_Guy is a name known to all. (+5000) Baseball_Guy is a name known to all. (+5000) Baseball_Guy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Is there any truth that instant oatmeal is less healthy than the one which requires longer cooking?

OP, if oatmeal does not fill you up I would suggest a slice or two of lowfat lowsodium canadian bacon. The protein takes longer to digest so you won't get hungry as quickly.

mcdbb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mcdbb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mcdbb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mcdbb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mcdbb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mcdbb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mcdbb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mcdbb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mcdbb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mcdbb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mcdbb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by skubaman View Post
    I like the cinnamon and splenda idea, I could even pre-mixed them.
    As far as banana or apple, I do love fruits, but I am trying to keep sugar intake low.

Thanks
    Stop fearing fruit. I'm serious. Fruit is not going to kill you, and neither is fructose. Avoiding sucrose is a good idea as in foods it tends to accompany are usually processed to all hell, but once again, sucrose isn't something to hold at arm's length, either.

mcdbb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mcdbb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mcdbb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mcdbb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mcdbb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mcdbb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mcdbb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mcdbb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mcdbb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mcdbb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mcdbb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Baseball_Guy View Post
    Is there any truth that instant oatmeal is less healthy than the one which requires longer cooking?

OP, if oatmeal does not fill you up I would suggest a slice or two of lowfat lowsodium canadian bacon. The protein takes longer to digest so you won't get hungry as quickly.
    Instant oatmeal has been cooked once, then dried under high heat. As with any processing it tends to have a reduced amount of micronutrient content, although macros should be about the same.

Depending on the brand, it may also be accompanied by "other" flavoring, preservative, etc. ingredients. But if you have no other option, I would certainly say most instant oatmeals are better than nothing - and they're certainly a hell of a lot better than those chocolate cereals.

The Solution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Instant Oatmeal is junk.. go out and buy a big box of quaker oats
    2. Bananas are fine as the sugars in fruits are totally different then those in processed junk like candy. They have a difference response in the body and posses a lot lower GI value,

dont fear the fruits because they have too many benefits to the body, know which fruits to eat when and ur fine.. keep the starchier ones like bananas, pineapple, grapes around your workout and save the slower digesting ones for later in the day like oranges, apples

Try these in ur oats:
    Cinnamon
    Splenda
    Cocoa
    Sugar Free Syrups
    Peanut Butter
    Whey Protein

PhD in Broscience, 2009 soundcheck129's Avatar
    soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ginger
    Whey
    Almond/Vanilla extract
    SF Jello Mix
    Splenda Coffee Sweeteners
    Fruit

PS0303 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PS0303 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PS0303 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PS0303 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PS0303 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PS0303 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PS0303 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PS0303 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PS0303 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PS0303 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PS0303 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just vanilla whey.....

vanilla whey! hmm good idea... I will try that

as far as fruits go, won't fructose also spike insulin? My goal is to keep metabolism high to burn more fat.

Thanks

gort23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    well if you weren't trying to keep sugar low, id say add any of the following before cooking (if its microwave): bananas, rasberries, bluberries, raisins, strawberries
    but you're not
    so Id go with chocolate whey, it always is kickass

gort23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    peanut butter as well, add it after its cooked, and stir it in while its still hot

Sexy Chemical Engineer Ke422azn's Avatar
    Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Guys,
    I know how important it is to eat oats and oatmeal is a great easy way to do it.
    The things is that I hate the plain oatmeal but like the flavored ones. Well, the problem with the flavored ones is sugar.

I am trying to cut sugar to keep metabolism high.

Do you guys have any suggestions on ways to give some taste or sweeten the plain oatmeal?

Other suggestions?

Thanks so much
    I eat Quackers instant oatmeal, and im still pretty damn sexy. Im at 8.5% body fat all year round and I still eat sugar.
    Me Picking Up Chicks (Subscribe if You Like!)
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SquattinCassanova

mofugger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mofugger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mofugger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mofugger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mofugger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mofugger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mofugger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mofugger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mofugger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mofugger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mofugger has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    low sugar instant oatmeal packets FTW

RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Oatmeal
    Half a scoop of chocolate whey protein
    1 tbsp grape or strawberry jelly

mix it all up, delicious.

Yankee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Yankee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Yankee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Yankee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Yankee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Yankee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Yankee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Yankee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Yankee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Yankee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Yankee is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I add extra water and cook it with a Vanilla Caramel tea bag in it, it flavors the oats without adding any sweeteners

vanilla whey! hmm good idea... I will try that

as far as fruits go, won't fructose also spike insulin? My goal is to keep metabolism high to burn more fat.

Thanks
    I'm sorry to say but unless you are in a ketotic state or an undiagnosed diabetic your body is not using fat for energy when you are sitting there. It is using glucose. Why? Well, your body is a pinnacle of efficiency. Why would it bother converting fat (which was probably converted earlier from carbohydrate or protein) to glucose for energy when it can just go to the glucose supply that is already there?

Second, you're worried about a insulin response to your sugar. Hate to break it to you, but pretty much any food with a carbohydrate will trigger an insulin response. Whole wheat bread raises insulin. True, fructose does raise insulin to a degree, but you have to account for the glycemic LOAD. The average Apple has maybe 15g of fructose in it, along with soluble and insoluble fibers, vitamins, and minerals. If you are sitting here obsessing over how much your insulin is going to respond to a measly 15 grams of fructose...or maybe even less.

Want to burn fat? Get on a treadmill, or do some HIIT. All I can be positive is that sitting there, the fat isn't going anywhere.

rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    splenda brown sugar blend.... like one ts. (20 cals, 4g carbs) is all it takes to sweeten up a big ol warm bowl of yummy oats i dont know why i dont see more people using it.
    I'll take a 6 pack of abs please!!!!

Obesession is simply a word lazy people use to describe the DEDICATED!!!!

www.teamscivation.com

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=109701391

matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Ke422azn View Post
    I eat Quackers instant oatmeal, and im still pretty damn sexy. Im at 8.5% body fat all year round and I still eat sugar.
    imagine if u didnt eat sugar !
    "There's levels of retardation most people don't even know about"

- Matt's Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=84812603#post84812603

"Solid session after all that alcohol intoxication" - Kruczynski

Pro Natural Bodybuilder FATHER FLEX's Avatar
    FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Ke422azn View Post
    Lucky you! I have been dieting since early January to reach 8%ish...Sometimes I wish I had my old metabolism back. Oh to be 19 again!

-Oatmeal
    -Sunflower Butter
    -Splenda
    -Cinammon and Splenda

Yeah baby!
    100% Natural Bodybuilding!
    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Where there are no men be a man.

Even a genius asks questions.

Knowledge is the child of confusion.

Dr.Adam is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Adam is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Adam is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Adam is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Adam is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Adam is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Adam is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Adam is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Adam is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Adam is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Adam is just really nice. (+1000)
    My FAVORITE way to eat oatmeal which I do several times a day is:

1 cup oatmeal in a blender. Dump it in there dry and blend it fine. Then mix water or milk and whatever you like. Sometimes I cut up an apple and throw some cinnamon in and egg white.

My favorite is not as healthy but so damn good.

2-4 tblspn Pbutter
    1cup oats
    2cup milk
    1banana
    1 scoop ON vanilla whey

androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I mix 1 tbsp honey and 1 tbsp cinnamon for every 1 cup of dry oats.
    Be humble or be humbled.

ponshoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ponshoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ponshoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ponshoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ponshoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ponshoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ponshoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ponshoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ponshoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ponshoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ponshoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Going4Lean View Post
    I just use cinnamon and Splenda. It just gives it the right amount of extra flavor. You could put in some banana or diced apples, as another way to sweeten.
    exactly the way i take it

wutdafukdidujusaytomeulib 1quick1's Avatar
    1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Grind them up in a $15 coffee grinder and save yourself years of chocking down oats.

Chino. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chino. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chino. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chino. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chino. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chino. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chino. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chino. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chino. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chino. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chino. will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    be a man and eat for gains, not taste.

just sayin.
    EAT FOR GAINS, NOT FOR TASTE!

reps back

GreenEyedGinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreenEyedGinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreenEyedGinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreenEyedGinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreenEyedGinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreenEyedGinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreenEyedGinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreenEyedGinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreenEyedGinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreenEyedGinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreenEyedGinny will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    this is the best instant oatmeal on the market imo sugar free and all natural steel cut
    http://www.mccanns.ie/pages/sugarfree.html

Pro Natural Bodybuilder FATHER FLEX's Avatar
    FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Chino. View Post
    be a man and eat for gains, not taste.

just sayin.
    You can do both ya know?
    100% Natural Bodybuilding!
    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Where there are no men be a man.

Even a genius asks questions.

Knowledge is the child of confusion.

gained will become famous soon enough. (+50) gained will become famous soon enough. (+50) gained will become famous soon enough. (+50) gained will become famous soon enough. (+50) gained will become famous soon enough. (+50) gained will become famous soon enough. (+50) gained will become famous soon enough. (+50) gained will become famous soon enough. (+50) gained will become famous soon enough. (+50) gained will become famous soon enough. (+50) gained will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i do......oats, apricots, saltanas, banana, brown sugar, plain yoghurt, skim milk...all mixed through really well....followed by a protein shake 15 minuets later with 1 egg yoke and 2 egg whites. It's the first meal 8AM of the day so it lasts me to about 10:30/11AM
    Lift!!!

Dashik is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dashik is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dashik is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dashik is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dashik is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dashik is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dashik is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dashik is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dashik is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dashik is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dashik is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You can try it with berreies (fresh or even frozen) or even add some splenda then you can vary the taste!
    "Theres nothing a treadmill cant burn off.."

DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidL913 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    fkn taste great /w ham n tabasco sauce.

ima put whey tomorrow.