stompy243 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pros and Cons of Protein Bars

I have read some conflicting information on protein bars on this site. Can anyone reading this try to give a pro and/or con. Trying to see what the general consensus is.

dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i would only eat one if there is no other alternative. everyone calls them "glorified candy bars"

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by stompy243 View Post
    I have read some conflicting information on protein bars on this site. Can anyone reading this try to give a pro and/or con. Trying to see what the general consensus is.
    This is entirely dependant upon the protein bar in question.

There are some that are acceptable since they contain quality protein (whey) and carbohydrate sources (oat, rice, etc...).

Then there are others that contain tons of sugars (malto, dex, etc...) and sugar alcohols as well as poor quality protein sources (collagen).
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50) damnglass will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by in10city View Post
    This is entirely dependant upon the protein bar in question.

There are some that are acceptable since they contain quality protein (whey) and carbohydrate sources (oat, rice, etc...).

Then there are others that contain tons of sugars (malto, dex, etc...) and sugar alcohols as well as poor quality protein sources (collagen).
    nice breakdown,he nailed it all^^^

systemfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

well what are some good protein bars? Im taking the met-rx and they have alot of sugar alcohols...

taking it 1 step @ a time May0819's Avatar
    May0819 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) May0819 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) May0819 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) May0819 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) May0819 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) May0819 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) May0819 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) May0819 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) May0819 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) May0819 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) May0819 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    this is why i make my own ... that way you can tailor it to ur own nutritional needs.
    i even make a couple batches that have different ingredients i.e. some for whenever that have a good amount of protein, carb, fat... & then some w/ min. fat if any for pre-postWO.

stompy243 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Best question than I guess is what to look for in a protein bar. Besides high protein and low sugar... I'm guessing sugar alcohol = bad... maybe I'll check out the posts on making your own and see

Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Because I am away from my apartment all day (from 7am to 8pm), I rely on whatever I bring with me to work for food. I walk 2 miles to work (and another 2 more back) so bulky foods is not really appealing... so I rely on protein bars to get me through my day.

Making your own, as recommended above, is a great idea (I make my own veggie burgers). I like zone, balance, lo-carb snickers marathon, and kashi bars. I eat one every three hours or so, and, at most, three a day (usually two, three if I'm in a rush in the morning and don't make eggs).

The Big Texan is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Big Texan is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Big Texan is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Big Texan is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Big Texan is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Big Texan is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Big Texan is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Big Texan is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Big Texan is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Big Texan is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Big Texan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    VPX zero impact carb bars certainly arent just glorified candy bars

SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A lot of bars have sugar alcohol in them, which aren't friendly to most people's tummys.

Registered User deadgearsrising's Avatar
    deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I use the Pure Protein bars, they seem to have a good profile for a bar. However, I am trying to find things to replace these, sort of working myself off of them, both for price and the fact that there are much better options.

Sexy Chemical Engineer Ke422azn's Avatar
    Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Protein doesnt grow in the form of a delicious chocolatey bar off a tree. Most protein when dried, are in a powderish form, especially whey.

To make it into a bar, they use glue. Do you want to eat glue?

by glue, i mean maltitol and such.
    Me Picking Up Chicks (Subscribe if You Like!)
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SquattinCassanova

kirpEstonia is on a distinguished road. (+10) kirpEstonia is on a distinguished road. (+10) kirpEstonia is on a distinguished road. (+10) kirpEstonia is on a distinguished road. (+10) kirpEstonia is on a distinguished road. (+10) kirpEstonia is on a distinguished road. (+10) kirpEstonia is on a distinguished road. (+10) kirpEstonia is on a distinguished road. (+10) kirpEstonia is on a distinguished road. (+10) kirpEstonia is on a distinguished road. (+10) kirpEstonia is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Protein bars are, unfortunately, basically junk food. I would eat them, if they were just pure quality protein, carb and fat mixtures. But as noone would buy suck that tasteless crap i eat, they have to add different ingriedients to make it saleable. As different companyes compete in the market, wins that, who has the best tasting bar, because people prefer it.

tone4now is a name known to all. (+5000) tone4now is a name known to all. (+5000) tone4now is a name known to all. (+5000) tone4now is a name known to all. (+5000) tone4now is a name known to all. (+5000) tone4now is a name known to all. (+5000) tone4now is a name known to all. (+5000) tone4now is a name known to all. (+5000) tone4now is a name known to all. (+5000) tone4now is a name known to all. (+5000) tone4now is a name known to all. (+5000)
    good replies. power bars are highly processed foods. the balance peanut yogurt honey bar tastes absolutely amazing and i could eat 100 of them...but they are not good nutrition. 3g's of sat fat, 6g's of fat, 200 calories isnt the end of the world --but after i down 3 of them in 2 hours all of a sudden ive eaten 9g's of sat fat, 18g's of fat, and 600 crap calories....not good for abs IMO.
    REPS TO Ravishing_Rick, TheBatemen FOR LIFE

Dm84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dm84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dm84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dm84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dm84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dm84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dm84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dm84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dm84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dm84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dm84 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    They're good when there's nothing else available.

systemfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) systemfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
    They're good when there's nothing else available.

Thats a very good point. Its better to eat that in between the 3 Main meals than nothing at all.