Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AnnMarie92806 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What to eat before bed?

I heard that a casein protein is needed before you go to bed but I have tried a couple of different kinds and can't stand the taste of them. I know cottage cheese is an alternative but I can't stand that either. I had heard that eating nuts can also be good as well. I eat dry roasted shelled peanuts before I go to bed, maybe about the size of a small bowl(thats including the shells also).
    Is this ok to eat?
    Could eating that every night before bed stop my fat loss?
    Should I just eat them on occasion and choke down the casein protein?
    Is there another alternative?...
    Please help!

Registered User deadgearsrising's Avatar
    deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've heard lots of people saying they like cottage cheese mixed with peanut butter. This would give you the casein protein, as well as healthy fats, so it's perfect for pre-bed. I can't give any personal experience, I really like the casein protein, and therefore haven't had CC.

EDIT: What you have would be fine if you also had some type of protein in there, from what I've seen here. The general idea is healthy fat + some kind of protein, preferably slow acting.

Personally, I don't think it looks like you need to lose fat, though. That looks like a pretty healthy weight, maybe even a little low.
    Last edited by deadgearsrising; 03-09-2008 at 04:03 PM.

Nebulaknight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nebulaknight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nebulaknight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nebulaknight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nebulaknight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nebulaknight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nebulaknight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nebulaknight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nebulaknight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nebulaknight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nebulaknight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    low calorie yogurt and a mix of fruits, I drink a bottle of isopure protein drink with it as well, almost like gatorade, hope that helps

shughes123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shughes123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shughes123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shughes123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shughes123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shughes123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shughes123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shughes123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shughes123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shughes123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shughes123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't like pure casein shakes either. They're too thick and chalky.

I usually just take a mixed protein drink (mixture of whey and casein) such as Low-carb Metaboic Drive or Syntha 6 and some fish oil caps.

The Solution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    casein is not 100% necessary it just benefits for a slower digestion

eat any lean protein source + some healthy fats ( those nuts ) and maybe a small side of veg and call it a night

have some steak / salmon + some veggies that will work just as well

just getting adequate protein/fat that fits into your macros will be sufficient,

try a few whole eggs + egg white omlettes with ur fav vegs mixed in and a small side of broccoli

Chicken + Broccoli + Peanut butter satay sauce slapped over all of it

Salmon + Broccoli.. whatever you perfer.. just make it fit into the macros

Hellcraft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hellcraft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hellcraft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hellcraft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hellcraft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hellcraft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hellcraft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hellcraft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hellcraft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hellcraft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hellcraft will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Have some yogurt if you don't like cottage cheese.

Miinty.Oatmeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) Miinty.Oatmeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) Miinty.Oatmeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) Miinty.Oatmeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) Miinty.Oatmeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) Miinty.Oatmeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) Miinty.Oatmeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) Miinty.Oatmeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) Miinty.Oatmeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) Miinty.Oatmeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) Miinty.Oatmeal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hmm...a can of turkey/chicken/tuna/salmon in water. It's about 150 calories of protein + omega 3 if it's the tuna or salmon. Other than that, I'd say cottage cheese and casein but you don't like them. =P

Thank you everyone for the different ideas, I will have to try them out!

Registered User HairyScandinavian's Avatar
    HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by AnnMarie92806 View Post
    I heard that a casein protein is needed before you go to bed but I have tried a couple of different kinds and can't stand the taste of them. I know cottage cheese is an alternative but I can't stand that either. I had heard that eating nuts can also be good as well. I eat dry roasted shelled peanuts before I go to bed, maybe about the size of a small bowl(thats including the shells also).
    Is this ok to eat?
    Please help!
    I do a cup of CC and a tablespoon of natural PB at bed time, whatever you do don't mix the two because that turned out nasty. Anyhow try dumping a packet of Splenda in the CC and stir it up, makes it a LOT better tasting and I actually look forward to it.

scooch81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you can put almost anything in the cc to make it good. sf choc. or sf strawberry syrups. canned fruit with no sugar added like pineapple, pears. fresh strawberries work too. makes it taste like candy=)!!

Sqwivivol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sqwivivol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sqwivivol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sqwivivol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sqwivivol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sqwivivol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sqwivivol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sqwivivol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sqwivivol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sqwivivol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sqwivivol is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by LayzieBone085 View Post
    eat any lean protein source + some healthy fats ( those nuts ) and maybe a small side of veg and call it a night
    x2.
    Ѱ "Beware the battle cry of the gym pussy: 'I dont want to be big, I just want to get toned!'" - Big Red

realitysfringe is on a distinguished road. (+10) realitysfringe is on a distinguished road. (+10) realitysfringe is on a distinguished road. (+10) realitysfringe is on a distinguished road. (+10) realitysfringe is on a distinguished road. (+10) realitysfringe is on a distinguished road. (+10) realitysfringe is on a distinguished road. (+10) realitysfringe is on a distinguished road. (+10) realitysfringe is on a distinguished road. (+10) realitysfringe is on a distinguished road. (+10) realitysfringe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    1 Cup of FF Cottage cheese, 2TBSP peanut Butter or 2oz. of almonds.

Either that or 1 scoop of ON Casein in 10 oz. of milk with some cinnamon.

awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just do 1 scoop of whey.

Registered User HairyScandinavian's Avatar
    HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Inspired by the jell-o thread, I just made tonight's bed time snack and I'm foaming at the mouth to try it. You're welcome to rep me if you use it and like it or neg me if it's nasty (I haven't actually tried it yet).

1 package sugar free fat free Butterscotch jell-o
    2 cups milk 1%
    1 scoop ProCore Caramel flavored buckwheat protein
    1.5 cups fat free cottage cheese

I haven't figured out how much I'm gonna eat yet though.

EDIT:
    Totals:
    Calories: 588
    Pro - 73g
    Carb - 66g
    Fat - 3.5
    Last edited by justletmein; 03-09-2008 at 07:25 PM.

ryanwitczak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by awbasa View Post
    I just do 1 scoop of whey.
    i usually drink a whey shake before bed but i dont know whether i should stick with drinking it right before bed or doing it a half hour or so before.
    i use natural chocolate flavored whey protein and usually put in a bit of banana and flaxseed oil.

godemiche will become famous soon enough. (+50) godemiche will become famous soon enough. (+50) godemiche will become famous soon enough. (+50) godemiche will become famous soon enough. (+50) godemiche will become famous soon enough. (+50) godemiche will become famous soon enough. (+50) godemiche will become famous soon enough. (+50) godemiche will become famous soon enough. (+50) godemiche will become famous soon enough. (+50) godemiche will become famous soon enough. (+50) godemiche will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by LayzieBone085 View Post

yup, can of tuna, PB sandwich, sleeping time

driven99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) driven99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) driven99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) driven99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) driven99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) driven99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) driven99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) driven99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) driven99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) driven99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) driven99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Try ON Casein Chocolate... I love it on work-out days i have 2 scoops before sleep on non workout 1-1.5 give it a shot.

For my mid-day snack i love to mix...
    1/2 cup of cottage cheese (give or take)
    1/2 scoop of casein
    Tbsp of PB

Yum

That's the casein protein I got, the ON because I use their whey protein and like the flavors.. I think it's the thickness of the shake. It just wasn't tasty...

That's the casein protein I got, the ON because I use their whey protein and like the flavors.. I think it's the thickness of the shake. It just wasn't tasty...
    try adding more liquid, casein is a bit thicker, so your going to have to add about 12-16 oz of water

try mixing some peanut butter in it i guarentee youll love the taste!

EL37 is just really nice. (+1000) EL37 is just really nice. (+1000) EL37 is just really nice. (+1000) EL37 is just really nice. (+1000) EL37 is just really nice. (+1000) EL37 is just really nice. (+1000) EL37 is just really nice. (+1000) EL37 is just really nice. (+1000) EL37 is just really nice. (+1000) EL37 is just really nice. (+1000) EL37 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Is this ok to eat?
    Please help!
    Dry roasted peanuts are less healthy than natural pb, not tremendously so but they do add starch in order to make them a certain consistency which is really not too great for fitness, but moderation is key, and I agree with the guy who suggested steak, I attribute most of my past success to it, still looking for a more "economically stable" version of steak though lol.

On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I just ate a whole pint of Ben and Jerry's Half Baked. It's dairy, so there's some casein in there. Pretty sure it's a solid pre-bed meal.

I heard that a casein protein is needed before you go to bed
    False

but I have tried a couple of different kinds and can't stand the taste of them. I know cottage cheese is an alternative but I can't stand that either.

False again, Casein is a marketing scam, its not necessary nor do you have to have cottage cheese. Its not a miracle drug, but the boards make it act like it is..

Eat what you want before bed, any protein source is perfectly fine, the thing that matters most is getting the amount of calories , protein, and EFA you need to meet in a certain day to meet your goals.

Eat some Steak if you like it, or some chicken , or eggs.

Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by HairyScandinavian View Post
    I do a cup of CC and a tablespoon of natural PB at bed time, whatever you do don't mix the two because that turned out nasty. Anyhow try dumping a packet of Splenda in the CC and stir it up, makes it a LOT better tasting and I actually look forward to it.
    What?? Mixing PB and CC is the bomb. Tastes great!!

Barnz57 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I eat two whole egg- (omelette) with tuna... then a cup of wheat concious rice.. and sum veggies or crackers with natural pb mmmmmmmmmmm.....

bulldog13B is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulldog13B is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulldog13B is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulldog13B is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulldog13B is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulldog13B is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulldog13B is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulldog13B is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulldog13B is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulldog13B is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulldog13B is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by shughes123 View Post
    I don't like pure casein shakes either. They're too thick and chalky.

I usually just take a mixed protein drink (mixture of whey and casein) such as Low-carb Metaboic Drive or Syntha 6 and some fish oil caps.
    i do this. but not syntha 6 ,i think there is WAY too much sugar in it for before bed.

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    casein is not 100% necessary it just benefits for a slower digestion

have some steak / salmon + some veggies that will work just as well

just getting adequate protein/fat that fits into your macros will be sufficient,

try a few whole eggs + egg white omlettes with ur fav vegs mixed in and a small side of broccoli

Chicken + Broccoli + Peanut butter satay sauce slapped over all of it

Salmon + Broccoli.. whatever you perfer.. just make it fit into the macros
    This ^

You don't even need casein before bed. Just eat a meal like you normally would. Egg whites, meat, chicken, whatever you use for your protein in your meals etc. It all takes time to be digested anyway so that performs the similar role.

I do chicken & broccoli & spinach usually. Something that's quick and easy to cook at that hour.

I'm a firm believer of eating whole foods whenever possible. So whenever you're at home, always try and eat a healthy cooked meal. Use your supplements for like after training or when you physically can't get a meal into your schedule.
    Last edited by Simmo0508; 02-13-2010 at 11:11 PM.
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted

SigmaDisiac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do a shake made with 1 cup skim milk, 1/4 cup fat free yogurt with a scoop of egg white protein, 1 teaspoon ground flaxseed. And with it I do either 2 tablespoons of walnuts and almonds or a tablespoon of organic peanut butter.

By the way, does it really matter which one you consume as far as the nuts? They're both good fats but is the nut butter a little fattier than the actual nut?
    What is defeat? Nothing but education. Nothing but the first step to something better."

-Bruce Lee

bersusx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bersusx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bersusx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bersusx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bersusx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For Me Just I scoop of either Whey or Casein Protein with 1 Tbsp. of peanut butter (all natural). simple but effective.

Registered User Fortune.Cariaga's Avatar
    Fortune.Cariaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Peanuts are not considered nuts they are a legume or bean. Real nuts are Almonds, Walnuts, Cashews, Hazelnuts, Brazilnuts. Nuts are highly concentrated in carbs and healthy fats. You should eat them in moderation if you dont want extra fat. Stick to the Casin but again nutural protein is always better. have some Lean meat or seafood.

mike201011 is a name known to all. (+5000) mike201011 is a name known to all. (+5000) mike201011 is a name known to all. (+5000) mike201011 is a name known to all. (+5000) mike201011 is a name known to all. (+5000) mike201011 is a name known to all. (+5000) mike201011 is a name known to all. (+5000) mike201011 is a name known to all. (+5000) mike201011 is a name known to all. (+5000) mike201011 is a name known to all. (+5000) mike201011 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Strong bump.