Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    alphaproject is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alphaproject is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alphaproject is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alphaproject is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alphaproject is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alphaproject is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alphaproject is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alphaproject is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alphaproject is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alphaproject is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alphaproject is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

The 8x8 workout, holy sore!!!

I read in a muscle mag recently about the 8x8 workout.

Basically taking a lower weight and doing 8 reps by 8 repitiitions and boy is it harder than I thought.

At first the first few are easy, especially with the 1 min rest.

But by 8, you should be beat and feeling huge. I've never been more sore in my biceps than with this workout. Your muscles start getting very tight by the end of it. It's pretty insane.

I'm used to the 3x12 workout and it blows that out of the water.
    Last Log : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165837041&p=1328019051#post1328019051
    All Store Reviews http://reviews.bodybuilding.com/supplement-reviews/alphaproject

Dysfunctional Strength Entkommen115's Avatar
    Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Was this supposed to be the Vince Gironda's 8x8 workout that you are talking about? I thought it was supposed to be 30 sec rest intervals.
    "Clit stimulation if your fingers are dry is not a good idea. The clit is more sensitive than the underside of a guy's penis, apparently.

Good rule of thumb: make sure you're fingers aren't dry before they go anywhere NEAR her clit/pussy.

Also, besides myself, maybe 2-3 of you have actually done anything like this before..."

-Daniel Beauchamp

J-- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J-- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J-- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J-- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J-- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J-- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J-- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yea, gironda's was 20-30 secs or something like that

oh and OP you are sore cause 3x12 = 36 vs 8x8 = 64 so you're almost doubling the volume at one hell of a frequency.

ElbowStrike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Tell me about it!

I feel your pain man.

This was my arm workout two days ago:

10 sets of 6 reps each.

Barbell Curls, 1 min rest, then
    Overhead DB Triceps Extensions (standing), 1 min rest,
    Repeat.

On the last two sets for both exercises I failed on 5 and 4 reps.

Yesterday I felt alright, but this morning arms felt like rigor mortis had set in. Shampooing my hair and brushing my teeth was a challenge. It's good though b/c the soreness is a constant reminder to take my whey and BCAA's. X^D

-- ElbowStrike

alphaproject is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alphaproject is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alphaproject is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alphaproject is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alphaproject is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alphaproject is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alphaproject is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alphaproject is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alphaproject is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alphaproject is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alphaproject is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Smile

Originally Posted by Entkommen115 View Post
    Was this supposed to be the Vince Gironda's 8x8 workout that you are talking about? I thought it was supposed to be 30 sec rest intervals.
    Yes, but I read that you shrink the rest from 1 min - 20sec . I do whatever gets me thru to the end and try to pump out as much as I can on the last set. The article said 1 min for the first 2 sets, then go down from there as I recall.

Today I did chest.

Bench 8x8 at 168 pounds..... although I'm not sure what the weight really is because it's an all in one type machine with different sections on it.

Then 8x8 fly's at 136, the last set was on 120 but i got in 10 reps.

So.... good news is I feel it working....bad news is, need more recovery time at the beginning but I think it will help me reach new heights of strength.
    Last Log : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165837041&p=1328019051#post1328019051
    All Store Reviews http://reviews.bodybuilding.com/supplement-reviews/alphaproject

Dysfunctional Strength Entkommen115's Avatar
    Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I was looking into trying it when it got closer to summer. Hopefully I can get somewhere on it but I have my doubts because I thrive on glycotic fibers so this would probably kill me.
    "Clit stimulation if your fingers are dry is not a good idea. The clit is more sensitive than the underside of a guy's penis, apparently.

Good rule of thumb: make sure you're fingers aren't dry before they go anywhere NEAR her clit/pussy.

Also, besides myself, maybe 2-3 of you have actually done anything like this before..."

-Daniel Beauchamp

pete89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pete89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pete89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pete89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pete89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pete89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pete89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pete89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pete89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pete89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pete89 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yeah the 8x8 workout is 30 seconds rest and if you think the 8x8 you did was hard try the real 8x8 with only 30 seconds on squats
    Coaching/Contest Prep Services:
    www.GetJakked.com

miketesler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking 8X8 Works Great

Hello, Everyone:

Scary to say, that I guess I'm an "old timer" by this point. I'm 36, and I've been training on and off for the last 20 years. Last few years more off than on, but I'm really making a push to get back into it. Kids, work, lots of nagging injuries, including a torn pec in '05. 8X8 might be just the thing that does it.

Started this after messing up my back again; a case of over-training, and letting my ego run my workouts. It occurred to me to use lighter weights, and drop the rest. I remember reading in IRONMAN years ago about this routine. I figured what the heck.

8x8 makes it real simple. One or two exercises and I'm done. Nothing to think about. Hit it and go! Just did squats and hit 185 for 8*8. Now i know what Gironda meant when he called this the "honest workout." I'm as fatigued, and my quads are as pumped as they've ever been.

I've been doing it for a week, and it feels good. I'm in and out of the gym in record time, and I feel like I've been hit by a train, but in a good way!

Looking forward to keeping this up. Will keep you posted!

kingsarms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think I'll try 8x8 tonight...

stclark816 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you do 8x8, say on chest day, how many lifts and what lifts do you do? Only a couple lifts?

Wow, this is sad.... I just read my 2nd post and I was doing 168, with the 8x8 workout.

That makes me sick because I was really up to 240 on the same machine then a few months ago my shoulders were really hurting to the point that washing my hair hurt. So...basically I had to stop working out all together and I'm getting an MRI next week. It feels better, but I went back into the gym and I managed 130 pounds 3x10 and i was sore, lol. That's what happens when you go poor and can't afford protein for 4 months.

I dropped mostly because of my injury but I also felt tired afterwards when before I was fine after the 8x8 and was almost considering the 10x10.

I know where I went wrong though. I was doing too heavy of weight for my body type. I'm just too delicate at 135 pounds. I was strong, but the weight was hurting my joints, not my muscles. I learned a big lesson now all my gains in strength are pretty much gone. 2 years down the drain from injuries. Woohoo.

Don't even think you are invinicible. It can come crashing down in 1 week. I logged my workouts and I noticed I went from 240 in bench, to 80 pounds the next week and I don't even know why.

Oh well....peace out!

Registered User CaptainGorgeous's Avatar
    CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by stclark816 View Post
    If you do 8x8, say on chest day, how many lifts and what lifts do you do? Only a couple lifts?
    Vince Gironda usually suggested one lift per body part or a compound set with 2 lifts (i.e., 2 exercises alternate with equal rest intervals for 8x8 (not a superset)). Frequency was 2x week.

But usually he had people do 6x6 or something along those lines. If he felt you were advanced enough, he would have trainees do 8x8 for a body part or maybe even 10x10 for advanced lifters.

He has several other programs as well. This is just a basic overview of one method he used.

Interestingly, he did not let his trainees bench press or squat.

Terminator734 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Terminator734 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i just took a month break from gym been a while since i rested this long and i thought that i might try it out it does sound intense with 15-30 sec resting period

any1 of you guy that tried it seen any gains is size from doing the 8x8 as opposed to normal workout

i'm gonna try it out regardless but just curious

i've done German volume training in the past but 8x8 sounds more intense since ur supposed to take so little time to rest in between ( GVT was 90sec rests 10x10)

mbalbas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbalbas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbalbas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbalbas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbalbas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbalbas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbalbas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbalbas has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    The 8x8 program really does work. And honestly, it gives you the pump that you wouldnt imagine getting by the regular sets and reps.

The 8x8 program as I've heard from my friends actually gets you cut-up (like get ripped)

Though I stopped for quite a while with the 8x8 but I'm gonna do it again.

Glad to see everyone's willing to try this one too.

Let's keep in touch bros...

hehehe...
    Go hard or go home!
    More plates More Muscles!
    Drink like fish!!!

Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    7x7 is better.

LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by alphaproject View Post
    I read in a muscle mag recently about the 8x8 workout.

Basically taking a lower weight and doing 8 reps by 8 repitiitions and boy is it harder than I thought.

At first the first few are easy, especially with the 1 min rest.

But by 8, you should be beat and feeling huge. I've never been more sore in my biceps than with this workout. Your muscles start getting very tight by the end of it. It's pretty insane.

I'm used to the 3x12 workout and it blows that out of the water.
    And please inform us all why getting sore ad a huge pump is so important.

bdonalds is on a distinguished road. (+10) bdonalds is on a distinguished road. (+10) bdonalds is on a distinguished road. (+10) bdonalds is on a distinguished road. (+10) bdonalds is on a distinguished road. (+10) bdonalds is on a distinguished road. (+10) bdonalds is on a distinguished road. (+10) bdonalds is on a distinguished road. (+10) bdonalds is on a distinguished road. (+10) bdonalds is on a distinguished road. (+10) bdonalds is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Wrong_Hole View Post
    7x7 is better.
    Haha!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9mioHO4hoM
    Go Blackhawks!

Terminator734 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Terminator734 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by mbalbas View Post
    The 8x8 program really does work. And honestly, it gives you the pump that you wouldnt imagine getting by the regular sets and reps.

The 8x8 program as I've heard from my friends actually gets you cut-up (like get ripped)

Though I stopped for quite a while with the 8x8 but I'm gonna do it again.

Glad to see everyone's willing to try this one too.

Let's keep in touch bros...

hehehe...

you're not supposed to be on 8x8 for longer than a month 4-5 weeks top enuf time to shock your body with this routine and then go back to your normal regimen

diesel777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    wow this could be something I am looking for. but how do i go about this with my current routine?

d1- chest, cardio
    d2- biceps, cardio, abs
    d3- back, shoulders, cardio
    d4- chest, cardio, abs
    d5- biceps, triceps, cardio
    d6- legs, abs
    d7- rest
    cardio 25-30 mins, each group 4 exercises with semi heavy weights. i already got my strength, just need to get cut. 6'2" 185lbs 16%bf

Originally Posted by diesel777 View Post
    wow this could be something I am looking for. but how do i go about this with my current routine?

d1- chest, cardio
    d2- biceps, cardio, abs
    d3- back, shoulders, cardio
    d4- chest, cardio, abs
    d5- biceps, triceps, cardio
    d6- legs, abs
    d7- rest
    cardio 25-30 mins, each group 4 exercises with semi heavy weights. i already got my strength, just need to get cut. 6'2" 185lbs 16%bf
    you need to add another day off if ur doing chest and other parts twice a week

take a rest on d6 and d7 and u can do legs on day one with chest

if u want to do and 8x8 tho u gotta change it up you do it on a 4 day split
    the way i started doing it is ( you can do it on a 3 days split too its up to you)

d1 - chest, bicep, forearms
    d2 - shoulders, tricep, abs
    d3 - back, abs
    d4 - legs, abs

i worked out today i know i'm gonna be sore tommorow so no way i'm gonna do chest twice a week with the 8x8 its tough thats all im gonna say and i dont want to over do it anyway

thats what I'll probably do, a 4 day split.
    do you also do only 2 exercises per muscle group? and whats the calories intake would be for someone with my numbers looking to get ripped?

I found that muscle mag article, lots and lots of info and answers in it, but cannot post it here due to the fact that im new to this forum, so if anyone could PM me and then could post it here, would be great for everyone.

IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    What's with all these same set and rep amount routines.... 3x3, 5x5, 10x10, 8x8.... lol.

Originally Posted by diesel777 View Post
    thats what I'll probably do, a 4 day split.
    do you also do only 2 exercises per muscle group? and whats the calories intake would be for someone with my numbers looking to get ripped?
    i'm doing 2 muscle groups a day with 3-4 escersises for the bigger muscles and 2-3 for smaller ones (i did 3 for bicep today and barely did last couple sets so its tough)
    you should know that the 8x8 workout is designed to gain some size so if you're looking to get ripped u might wanna try another routine
    Last edited by Terminator734; 09-28-2009 at 08:44 PM.

jack4win has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'll definitely look into this one

Originally Posted by Terminator734 View Post
    you should know that the 8x8 workout is designed to gain some size so if you're looking to get ripped u might wanna try another routine
    well more like to get cut at 190lbs, dont want to get too big, plus its a good shock body routine for a month or so.
    Ive tried it today chest & bicep 8x8 2 exercises each and holy sore indeed, hands still shaking...
    Last edited by diesel777; 09-28-2009 at 09:02 PM.

I just seen that you were not supposed to use this for very long....maybe 4-5 months max... I can believe that because I ended up getting tendonosis in my shoulders. I never injured myself before I started this program....very strange. I admit that it makes you very strong though...after about 1 year using it I gained alot of strength but not alot of weight but that's due to my ridiculous metabolism. I had great endurance too. I was easily up to 10x10 and I wouldn't be tired or even sore afterwards. Now I can't even come close to that.....funny how life is.....hahaha , cries silently.

All I have now is a jug of protein.... I have managed to stay around 129-130 as of late without doing much except for some rowing at home. I did get in the gym a few times but it wasn't as much fun as it used to be...sadly. I hit my peak twice in my life using different methods.... I got to 145 once....doing really heavy weight only 3 reps..... my endurance was not as good doing that but I gained more weight and looked a tad beefier....doing the 8x8 I was not quite as beefy but far more ripped. I also felt better when I was at the top of my 8x8 workout. I felt as if doing 3 reps or even 5 was a joke and a waste of time. I also had felt I wanted to spend so much time in the gym compared to now.... Since I know how 2 years of gains can be lost in 6 months.....my motivation is gone.... but the 8x8 for that last year did give me more muscle memory than ever before and I feel like when I do get back into casually working out it won't take me too long to get back into heavier weights as long as the tendonosis stays away. I'm in no hurry....

you've only supposed to stay on this routine for 4-6 weeks max 2 months is already pushing it let alone 4-5 thats just crazy the strain on your body is enormous.
    Use if for about 5 weeks just enuf time to shock your body with this routine and then go back to your regular scheadule and then you can do it again after lets say 5 months

Im still really sore right now, but it feels good. And its actually motivates me more, I only spend like 40-50 mins in the gym with cardio instead of hour and a 1/2.
    im thinking about buying protein powder, do i still take 1 gram per body pound? and should i do cardio everyday with this routine?

ProTec will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProTec will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProTec will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProTec will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProTec will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProTec will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProTec will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProTec will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProTec will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProTec will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProTec will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Wrong_Hole View Post
    7x7 is better.

LoL.... 7x7 = 49