Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Angry Torn/Pulled Tricep

Ok, so I was doing some lying dumbell tricep extensions, with not much weight at all, mainly just to stretch them out since they are sore from my chest workout from 2 days ago. And on the second rep, at the base of my right arm, i felt this burning pain in the tricep at the inisde base of my arm. There was no pop or tearing I felt, just really bad pain, so I stopped doing them and was rubbing my arm and the pain is still here, 30 mins later, so I am pretty sure I tore/pulled the muscle. Suggestions for quick recovery? Reps to all who give advice, thank you.
    Meow

Majestyc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Majestyc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Majestyc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Majestyc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Majestyc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Majestyc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Majestyc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Majestyc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Majestyc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Majestyc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Majestyc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I believe you pulled your muscle. Take a hot bath/shower and concentrate on heating your tricep.

Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nom Z has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    the funny thing is, it was no weight at all compared to what i usually do, just enought to stretch them out, and I didnt do it fast, just started killing me all of a sudden...thanks for the advice, im going to do that right now.
    Meow

m4v3r1ck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m4v3r1ck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Majestyc View Post
    I believe you pulled your muscle. Take a hot bath/shower and concentrate on heating your tricep.
    Yes, you probably just strained it. I'm not so sure that I would apply heat though. If there is any inflammation (swelling) then ice is what you want. Heat will just increase blood flow to the area causing more inflammation which will in turn result in a slower recovery period. Heat shouldn't be applied for a day or so. 48 hours would be safe I would think. (Heat does work well if it is a chronic injury but not for acute injuries.) In a couple of days, try stretching it just prior to the point of pain, then proceed from there depending on how it feels.

well I just took a hot shower, so too late, but now I will ice it, I was thinking cold would be better, so thanks for the advice. Ill do legs next workout then, wait till sunday to test it out...
    Meow

realistromeo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) realistromeo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) realistromeo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) realistromeo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) realistromeo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) realistromeo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) realistromeo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) realistromeo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) realistromeo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) realistromeo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) realistromeo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    What you should do next is give your arms recovery time/ like you said above, also look for slight bruising around the base of your right arm (EVEN MINOR DIME SIZED BRUISE) leading to the elbow....to realy know if you have torn anything you should compare your triceps for (length size) or just go off memory (since we are a vain people) to see any difference.

I injured and tore a tricep muscle going down my back porch steps, it was wintertime and the leaves were on the steps i slid down 20 or so stairs and then when i went inside i realized i had torn my tricep. WAS I EVER ANGRY LOL.

Hopefuly you recover well, and always warm up.

BTW i hate that excerise(lying tricep extension) you might want to try those standing up. or even a pressdown.

MikeDre is a name known to all. (+5000) MikeDre is a name known to all. (+5000) MikeDre is a name known to all. (+5000) MikeDre is a name known to all. (+5000) MikeDre is a name known to all. (+5000) MikeDre is a name known to all. (+5000) MikeDre is a name known to all. (+5000) MikeDre is a name known to all. (+5000) MikeDre is a name known to all. (+5000) MikeDre is a name known to all. (+5000) MikeDre is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Suck it up son!

Update, tricep still strained after two weeks, and one week of taking it easy, it only causes me a problem when I do things like lying tricper extensions or dips, and the pain is right at the base of my tricep. Anyone have any more suggestions for reps?
    Meow

lemmy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lemmy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lemmy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lemmy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do low weight high rep tricep exercises to pump blood into the area. Blood carries all the nutrients that heal muscle.

mirkocrocop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had the same problem many years ago and instead of giving adequate rest I continued lifting. I think you have a minor tear in your tricep or perhaps some tendonitis. If you continue to work your tricep the tear/tendonitis might grow and hurt you more. For me the tricep pain got worse and then became forearm pain, which eventually led to cubital tunnel syndrome. My advice would be to take 2-3 weeks off to let it heel 100 percent. You will know when it has healed. Just do leg work and cardio in the interim. Use Ice on the injured tricep at least twice a day for 15-20 mins and apply ICY hot at night (this worked for me). Keep your protein intake high so you stay anabolic; this should also accelerate the healing process. If you see no progress in 2-3 weeks see a doc and try to get an Xray/MRI done. A cortisone shot maybe needed at that point.

Originally Posted by zacht View Post
    Update, tricep still strained after two weeks, and
    one week of taking it easy, it only causes me a problem when I do things like lying tricper extensions or dips, and the pain is right at the base of my tricep. Anyone have any more suggestions for reps?

Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No amount of rest or ice to an injury is going to disrupt the scar tissue that will build up from a tear. Friction the area with an ice cup (fill a cup with water, and freeze it. Massage in circles.) or see a therapist for rehabilitation.

RICE should be changed to MICE. Motion Ice Compression Elevation. Resting an injury is not effective recovery, since the majority of injuries are cumulative, and not spur of the moment train wreck types.

mirkocrocop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree, that ice is good, but direct ice contact for prolonged periods of time could result in nerve damage.

Originally Posted by Reactive View Post
    No amount of rest or ice to an injury is going to disrupt the scar tissue that will build up from a tear. Friction the area with an ice cup (fill a cup with water, and freeze it. Massage in circles.) or see a therapist for rehabilitation.

RICE should be changed to MICE. Motion Ice Compression Elevation. Resting an injury is not effective recovery, since the majority of injuries are cumulative, and not spur of the moment train wreck types.

Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Define prolonged ice contact. I don't recall saying to use prolonged contact.
    Use of ice for 20 mins is not detrimental and the ice friction will benefit more than just ice.
    Ja-On Hillman, RMT
    Manual Therapist
    Reactive Massage Therapt
    RMT04@MTS.net

Thanks for the suggestins everyone, Im gonna try that ice massage method, repped everyone.
    Meow

Laiyth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    so did it help "the ice therapy" ... i have the same problem and been resting for 4 weeks now grrrrrrrrr

Please help

mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    guys
    it's not clear there's a tear with the OP.
    what we know is there's sensation and it's pain.
    that can come from anywhere.

focusing on the site of pain can be a real distraction from whatever the actual issue may be.

it might be related to neck position doing these movements and squishing up the nerves that fire into the triceps, so things like dropping the scapula, titlting the neck away from the side that hurts and moving the arm back till it tingles may do more here to open nerve paths.

or it may be something else.

as for heat - yes heat is good and fine.
    ICE is just about numbing the sensation - it has no effect on bringing down an edema (the swelling) - compression does that. so if ice helps calm down the pain, that's great. but its effect on inflammation is really low.
    Heat can in fact help with healing not only for inflammation support but to help bring blood to the area for flushing the area. blood moves; it's not pooling; it CIRCULATES - so let it.

the idea about motion is great - but not about "frictioning" an area - that's passively working the tissue - that can help for sure, but better to look at moving ones' self in these areas - hence the tensioning sequence above - active fires up the nervous system more robustly than passive. Tissue is laid down along angles of force - active force - us moving ourselves - is more potent than being maniuplated. nice ideas tho.

m.c.

tyrains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

please help

About 3 days ago I noticed a slight pain in my tricep and figured it was sore from my workout. I have never had a lifting injury in 7 years and am unsure as to if i tore it or just pulled a muscle, I just know its more painful then just being sore. There is a slight increase in size in comparison to my left tricep and occassional random movements send a pain from my elbow clear up to my shoulder. If anyone knows what may be going on or how I can get it healed so I can get back to lifting it would be greatly appriciated