Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

Week 159 :: What Are The Best Supplements For Teens?

------------------------------------------------------------
    * Note: How can I win? 1. Answer all questions in the order that they are asked. 2. Go over reviews (located at the bottom of past TOTW articles) and see what was said about those that did not win. Good Luck!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC: What Are The Best Supplements For Teens?

For the week of: March 5th - March 11th
    Tuesday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teens are always looking for the next big supplement to hit the market. However, they don't always consider the effects it could potentially have on them.

What are the best supplements for teens?

Which supplements should teens refrain from using?

How can a teen know if they are old enough to use a specific supplement?

Bonus Question: What suggestions/ideas can help teens stay away from using supplements that may be harmful to them?

-------------------------------------------------------------

* New Rule (beginning: June 1st, 2006): Any exercise not listed on our exercise listing (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm) must be accompanied by a full and complete description and pictures (or a link to the exercise(s) where pictures and description are given).

Thanks.

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

The best response will get $75 in credit to use in our online store! The other good responses will be used in an article on the main Bodybuilding.com site, with the poster's forum name listed by it. Become famous!

Thanks,
    Will
    Webmaster
    Bodybuilding.com
    Last edited by webmaster; 03-05-2008 at 05:06 PM.
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000)
    nice topic
    i'll write up my entry this weekend

King Of Video Reviews History in Effect's Avatar
    History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000)
    This is going to be good.lol
    Georgia Crew
    >>>>Misc Cologne Crew<<<<
    Sperrys and Polos

Registered User prototypeanimal's Avatar
    prototypeanimal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prototypeanimal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prototypeanimal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prototypeanimal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prototypeanimal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Cool stack for teens

A good stack would be
    animal pak ( has everything a teen needs)
    whey protein
    casein protein
    anti-oxidant(optional)
    healthy oils (optional)
    Teenagers should stay away from testosterone.
    Also teens could use nitric oxide and creatine but i think they dont need that yet just a good multivitamin, protein and maybe a anti-oxidant. Teens should stay away from supplements that they are not sure if they old enough, they should wait a little. To stay away from harmful supplements they should think about the hard work they do at the gym because harmful supplements might have bad affects and all their hard work could disappear.
    nothing is impossible

HSP10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HSP10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HSP10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HSP10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HSP10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HSP10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HSP10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HSP10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HSP10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HSP10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HSP10 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good topic. I'll probably do my first TOTW post this week.

Time to make a change! Mighty Kev's Avatar
    Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yeah, I started mine, this week's lookin good

Registered User deadgearsrising's Avatar
    deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadgearsrising has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Being a teen myself, I feel I can give some solid advice to teens when choosing supplements for their diet.

The best advice for teens considering supplements is to keep it simple. A good idea for teens is protein powder, a good multi, and maybe BCAAs, glutamine and creatine, as well as the most important supplement: REAL FOOD. The idea of keeping it simple is important because so many supplements on the market have things in them that might not be good for a developing body. Also, keeping it simple allows for less cost, which seems to make parents more easily convinced that bodybuilding, and supps. in general, is an OK practice .

Multivitamin:
    A good multivitamin is a great idea, as it ensures that the teens can get all of the necessary micronutrients that they need to grow strong. This is especially important for teens who tend to avoid fruits and veggies, as they could possibly miss out on a lot of valuable micronutrients not found in the food they normally eat.

I personally use AST Multi Pro 32X, for the low price and great micronutrient profile, but I have heard many people saying that Animal Pak is a great multi as well. If I could afford it, I would definitely try it out.

Protein Powder:
    Protein powder is especially useful for teens, as they ten to have an "on-the-go" lifestyle. This makes getting 5-6 meals a day easier, since they can just mix it up, drink it, and keep going. Most have a high protein/lowcarb/low fat macronutrient profile, which makes them easily adjustable to whatever dietary needs the individual has(ie. can add peanut butter if on a high fat diet, oats for a traditional PWO shake, etc.).

Whey:
    The most common protein powder, it is fast absorbing, and is preferred PWO for quick recovery. It also tends to be the cheapest, which makes it a good base for whatever supps. you use.

Casein:
    This is slightly less common(I can only find one brand that has a pure casein product), and is slow-release. This is great for pre-bed meals, mixed with some healthy fat(like peanut butter), so your body has food while you sleep. It is slightly more expensive, and tends to make a thicker shake.

Bars:
    Another option for on-the-go is protein bars. One thing to watch out for is that most contain a lot of sugar/ sugar alcohols. These are bad in high numbers, so check the nutrition label for low-ish amounts for both of these. A good rule of thumb is if it has a lot of sugar, and more carbs than protein, it is probably a bad idea to buy. Watch out for these, as they can be quite pricey.

I use ON 100% whey and ON 100% casein, and am considering trying Dymatize Elite whey once I start to run out. When I use a protein bar, I use Pure Protein brand bars, which seem pretty balanced, with 3g sugar and low amounts of sugar alcohols. Which one you use really depends on what fits into your diet, so there really isn't a set "best" powder out there. You need to choose for yourself. Also keep in mind that protein powders and bars are processed foods, and should not be chosen if you could have a clean meal with REAL food instead. More on REAL food later.

BCAAs:
    Branched Chain Amino Acids, or BCAAs, are part of what makes up protein. BCAAs, as opposed to other Amino Acids, cannot be produced by the body, so they are considered "essential" amino acids. Recent studies have shown that BCAAs can aid in the prevention of catabolism, or the breakdown of muscle, which aids in recovery time. They can be found in capsule or powder form.

There really is no difference between the two forms, besides how you take them. You simply swallow the capsules, but the powder must be mixed into a drink. However, since they are typically taken pre/post workout, you can always throw them into your protein shake. The choice is really up to whichever is cheaper, in my opinion.

Creatine:
    Creatine allows more water to be rushed into your muscles. This can aid in recovery time, as well as muscle size. However, once you cycle off of creatine, it is debatable whether or not the gains in size will still remain. As a result, it is not essential to include creatine in a stack, especially for teens who are strapped for cash. This should be included if it produces results for you, and only if you can afford it AFTER things like a multi or protein powder.

Also, try to avoid creatine powders like celltech, that have been loaded with sugar, claiming to be "more powerful," etc. If you feel the need to have sugar with your creatine to maximize results, you can always add in your own via gatorade, dextrose, etc.

Glutamine:
    This is a lot like BCAAs, in that it aids in recovery. However, it is not and essential amino acid, the body normally produces it. Glutamine is helpful because when a part of your body needs this, it can take it from the supplemental glutamine, instead of your muscles. This can help to prevent the loss of size in muscles, but it is effective depending on your own body. Therefore, like creatine and BCAAs, it should only be used if you still have money after your multi and protein powders.

FOOD! :
    Supplements are not a replacement for real food in a diet. You need to eat real food first, and use supps. as a way to get in that extra protein or micronutrients. Fruits and veggies are your friends, and a vitamin does NOT equal a piece of broccoli. Remeber to eat REAL food first, and everything else when real food isn't enough.

Obviously, teens should avoid all supps. that say something along the lines of: "not for use by anyone under 21." Of course, it couldn't hurt to avoid the ones that aren't for under 18, too, just to be safe. Also, it is good to avoid any supplements that are brand new, and have not had effects tested. Any new, untested supps. could be extremely dangerous for anyone, so especially teens should avoid these supps. as well. Certain supps., like fat-burners, should also be avoided, as some contain stimulants that could be extremely harmful to developing teens.

The first thing a teen should do is check the label for the warning statements shown above. These are dead giveaways that nobody under a certain age should use it. Another step is to ask people who could be considered "in the know" about it. For example, you could look around the forums here for any information on the supp. you are considering, or you could ask a GNC employee. However, do not take whatever the GNC employee says as gospel; I have seen stories of workers there completely BS'ing a customer for a sale. The best idea would be to read up on it here, and THEN ask the GNC employee if you are still not sure if it is safe. If the GNC employee says it is completely safe, but your research is screaming to you otherwise, then I suggest you find another option for consultation. A doctor is never a bad idea for a person to talk to, but they do tend to be a bit on the cautious side.

To sum up, know what you're looking at before you just buy it: look around this site, as well as ask around before buying something you aren't sure is safe.

Bonus Question: What suggestions/ideas can help teens stay away from using supplements that may be harmful to them?

The easiest way to avoid potentially harmful supps. is to not take supps. at all. However, since life can make it hard to get in enough food sometimes, when using supps. it is essential to KNOW WHAT YOU'RE BUYING. Check the nutrition labels, and also keep it simple. Only buying what you know you need(multivitamin/ protein powder) is the easiest way to use supps. without risking danger. If you feel "funny" or not normal after starting use of a supp., you should see if not using it corrects the problem.

I hope that the above information can help teens make better choices when buying supps., and in general, living their life with the bodybuilding lifestyle.

Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Thumbs up

I'm probably coming back for this one...

Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Good luck everyone, it's been a long time since I've entered
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Liquid_diet; 03-10-2008 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Fix some errors

Baker19 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baker19 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baker19 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baker19 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baker19 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baker19 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baker19 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baker19 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baker19 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baker19 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baker19 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by prototypeanimal View Post
    animal pak ( has everything a teen needs)
    Lol, animal pak is an overpriced multi that gives even adults massive doses of stuff they just piss out, so please tell me why they shouldn't by GNC mega man or NOW Adam, or better yet without wasting their money a generic multi. They shouldn't have to rely to rely on a multi if their diet is good enough, just use it to fill in the cracks, so 19024% of vitamin x isn't going to do anything besides make our piss look a cool colour.

Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I guess I'll throw up an article for this one.
    HALEO Lead Forum Representative

Echo in Eternity

Store Link - http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/haleo.html
    ******** Page - www.********.com/pages/HALEO-Worldwide-Inc/344612048892858

Kanola has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My entry

Good luck everyone!
    [entry attached]
    Attached Files

Xtrainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xtrainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Here's my submission

Attached Files

bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000)
    What Are The Best Supplements For Teens

The supplement industry is a multi-billion dollar industry. Today's youth are more and more athletic and participate in many sports. Even though teenagers do not make the biggest amount of money, most supplement advertisements are directed towards young people. Supplements are in every sport from high school wrestling to girl's swimming. There are tons of supplements on the market with numerous claims and sometimes it can get very hard to choose the right supplement for teenagers. What if the supplement is not meant for teens? How should I take it? Or what should I take? All of those are common questions that many teens have about supplementation. I believe that teenagers should be responsible, they should educate themselves and learn to use supplements in the form that they were meant to be used.

What are the best supplements for teens? (TOP 10)

As mentioned before, there are tons of supplements out there. Even if you go to the best supplement store on the web, Bodybuilding.com, you will still see that there are hundreds of supplements you can choose for. That arises many questions. Most teens do not know what they should take, or some might be unsure if the product is meant for teenagers. Here is a top 10 list of the best supplements for teens.

1)Whey Protein

This is a staple. Anyone who calls themselves a bodybuilder has at least one jug of whey protein in their supplement cabinet. Whey protein is delivered from milk/cheese products and it contains pure whey, which has a very high biological value. All of that means that whey is readily absorbed by the body and it's quality is extremely high. Along with choosing it for a high quality protein, it is often used as an added protein source for those that cannot get all of their protein from food. Along with that you can safely pack it in an empty water bottle when you go out somewhere, and when the time for that meal comes, you can fill the water bottle up with water and have an instant 25-50 grams of protein on the spot! You can also mix the powder into your favorite pancake mix, and that way you will have a high carb, high protein desert, yum!

My choice of whey is BB.com's Higher Power Whey http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/hp/whey.html

2) Creatine

Creatine is one of the most popular supplements on the market. I have had people that don't even workout name protein and creatine as a known supplement. I've also had people ask me if they took creatine, would they need to take protein as they think that it all does the same thing. Actually creatine is not a macronutrient. It occurs naturally in our bodies. It is responsible for ATP production. What that means is that when your muscle performs a short and intense anaerobic movement for 10-30 seconds (lifting weights), your body relies on ATP for energy. More creatine, higher ATP, more power and better results! Creatine is natural and safe. It is found in meats. Taking the supplement is the best bet since you can get a nice serving of it any time you want. I prefer loading up for the first 5 days (10-20g) and then taking maintenance (5g) dose after that. Just make sure to stay hydrated and follow the instructions on the bottle.

My choice of Creatine is BB.com's Higher Power CE3
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/hp/ce3.html

3) Multi-Vitamin

Everybody needs a multi-vitamin. I remember being a little kid and my mom giving me a Flintstone's vitamin chew. Little did I know back then, that the delicious piece of candy was actually very good for me. Multi-vitamins contain all the essential vitamins and minerals that your body needs. From the water soluble B and C, to the fat soluble E, D, K, and A. It's also loaded with minerals like zinc and copper. I don't care what sport you play, every teenager should take at least a multi-vitamin in order to support growth. In teenage years, the body is growing. With added exercise and sports the stress is increased and your body needs more vitamins and minerals. This is a must for every teenager!

My choice of Multi-Vitamin is BB.com's AST Multi Pro 32X
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ast/multi-pro.html

4) BCAA's

BCAA stands for Branched Chained Amino Acids. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. There are 20 amino acids. Each protein is composed of amino acids and each protein has hundreds of them. Out of the 20 amino acids, there are 9 that are essential. What that means is that the body cannot produce it. So in order to get those 9 essential amino acids, one must eat a whole balanced diet of complete proteins. Sometimes that's hard to do, so BCAA's are something that every teenager looking for strength and muscle should invest in. Amino acids are what makes a protein complete or incomplete and how well the body processes it and absorbs it. If you take BCAA's you are making sure that the body gets all of the amino acids that it needs. They help with recovery and support muscle growth!

My choice of BCAA's is BB.com's Now Amino Complete
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/am.html

5) Casein Protein

Casein protein is another form of protein similar to whey when it comes to how convenient and easy is to use. The difference is that whey protein is absorbed very fast by the body. That makes it perfect for the first meal of the day, or the post workout shake. Casein is a slow digestion protein which on the other hand helps when you use it as a meal. It will take hours for the protein to work its way. It is perfect for a meal supplementation and ideal for the last meal before bed. During the night when you are sleeping your body continuously repairs itself and grows, so having slow digesting protein during that time is something that everyone wants!

My choice of Casein Protein is BB.com's Optimum 100% Casein Protein
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/cas.html

6) Glutamine

Glutamine is an amino acid. It is one of the 11 amino acids that are non essential. That means that your body produces it. You can find glutamine in vegetables such as broccoli and meats. What glutamine does is help you recover faster. It helps nourish the muscle cells that got tore up from the workout. It is used in the gut and immune system to maintain performance. I would suggest using glutamine supplements, as it is more convenient and easy to take. Sometimes not all meal demands could be met, and that could lead to a lack of amino acids such as glutamine, so a supplement is the way to go. So next time you are still sore from your leg workout two days ago, think about getting some glutamine and cutting that recovery time!

My choice of Glutamine is BB.com's Bioplex Glutamine
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bioplex/glut.html

CONTINUED...
    Last edited by bigcalves; 03-11-2008 at 12:29 PM.

bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000)
    CONTINUED

7) Weight Gainers

In order to get big and strong you need to eat big and strong, but sometimes it is hard to get all the necessary meals in. Weight gainers are protein shakes that are very dense in nutrients. They usually contain a good amount of protein, very good amount of carbohydrates along with vitamins and minerals. One serving ca provide enough calories and nutrients to replace a healthy meal, and that's convenient especially if you are traveling, at work or at school. I strongly suggest that you invest in a weight gainer for those times that you just can't eat your meal.

My choice of Weight Gainer is BB.com's Dymatize Mega Gainer
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/dym/mega.html

8) Fish Oil

As you probably guessed it, fish oil comes from fish! Besides the obvious, fish oil is loaded with essential fatty acids (EFA's). Those are fatty acids that the body cannot produce on its own and it obtains them from food. Not every one can afford to have a salmon dinner every night so fish oil is something everyone should invest in. Essential Fatty Acids help with fat absorption and fat loss. They also lower the risk of heart disease and LDL cholesterol. Omega 3 fatty acid prevent from blood clotting. The advantages are well to good to be overlooked and fish oil is one of the supplements that everyone should take, after all its even good for your heart.

My choice of Fish Oil is BB.com's S.A.N. Triple Strength Fish Fats
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/san/tri.html

9) NO2 Product

Nitric oxide is nature's natural anabolic. Nitric oxide controls the circulation of blood and the rate of which nutrients are being carried. Get ready for mind boggling pumps at the gym. The first time I took an NO2 product, I was amazed at the energy and pump that it gave me. I totally recommend this supplement for any teen with some extra cash. It is a great pre-workout supplement that keeps you pumped up all day, even when you are done lifting!

My choice of NO2 Product Is BB.com's BSN NO Explode
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bsn/xplode.html

10) Protein Bars

For my final pick I decided on protein bars. Sometimes it is impossible to eat a meal, or even mix a weight gainer. If you are in class or on a road trip you can't stop and eat, or get the blender out and mix four scoops of a weight gainer. You need something simple. Something that tastes good. Something that has every macronutrient you need for that meal. Protein bars are the solution. They range in many brands, from low carb to high carb to high protein. There is a protein bar for every diet out there. I suggest buying a box and keeping it close by in event of where you can't really pull out a Tupperware container full with rice, beans and tuna. You would be surprised at the amount of calories, protein and carbs some of the bars have!

My choice of Protein Bars are BB.com's Met-Rx Big 100 Colossal Bars
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/met/big.html

There are certain supplements that teenagers should stay away from. Pro-hormones are on the list along with stimulants like ephedrine/ephedrine and other harsh stimulants. Since those products are now banned most teens have nothing to worry about. Recently there have been new pro-hormone like products coming out and I believe that teenagers should refrain from using those. At this age, the testosterone levels are peaking, which means that if a teen focuses on the diet and all the nutrients needed, they can create the best environment for growth. Dangerous supplements and fat burners are not needed in order to achieve goals. Educate yourself and that way you will create the very best environment for improvement.

--Pro-hormones
    --Fat Burners
    --Ephedrine/Ephedra
    --Newest Pro-hormone versions

How can a teen know if they are old enough to use a specific supplements? .

All the supplements listed here are not dangerous for teenagers. If a teen decides to buy an product from the internet or a supplement store, then they should research it first. Usually, if a product is not meant for teenagers there will be a warning on the label. Usually you will see the back of the product along the line of "Not intended for persons under age of 18". If you see anything like that, I strongly suggest that you refrain from using that supplement. It is not smart to risk anything while you are developing, so you don't want to take any chances. As mentioned previously, the testosterone levels are high and there is no need for test boosters or dangerous supplements.

I believe that the general guideline should be that afte 16 creatine, amino's and stuff like that should be okay to take. I would wait until 18 for stuff like NO Explode, any type of fat burner or stimulant. You don't want to take any of that stuff when your central nervous system is still developing, as that can cause problems later on in life.

Education. That is the best idea to help teens stay away from dangerous supplements. If a teenager is given the chance to educate themselves on how the body works, the immune system and the endocrine system and how it all ties together, then they will realize that they simply don't need any of that stuff at this age. During teen years testosterone is at the highest level. Testosterone builds muscle. A teenager already has the perfect environment, it would be foolish to try to tweak with it. If something ain't broke, don't fix it. The general idea is to educate teens about what they have already and that they don?t need to worry about anything else, but instead focus on good nutrition and all the macro and micro nutrients!
    Last edited by bigcalves; 03-11-2008 at 12:37 PM.

Good luck to everyone!

King Of Video Reviews History in Effect's Avatar
    History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The teenage years consists of kids from 13-19 and represents a transition from child to adult. Many kids go through changes and look toward supplements to make them focus better, feel stronger, and remain healthy. I hope to point out the supplements that are of great use and the ones that should be avoided. Before taking nutritional supplements and vitamins, they should be discussed with a physician and researched diligently. Ages 13-16 should not even think about supplements of any kind unless they lacking nutrients.

Whey protein is an excellent source for a person who wants to gain weight or perform better in a sport by getting stronger. There is nothing wrong with taking a whey protein and it keeps your muscles growing.

Vitamins and Minerals are also great to consider if you have nutrient deficiencies. Many of us took Flintstone tables to keep ourselves strong and healthy. A good multivamin allows you to cover the bases if your lacking in minerals and vitamins

I believe these are the only two supplements you should use at this time. Parents have limited budgets and even if you work your money should be saved on other things. At this point in time, solid foods should be providing for most of your growth and recovery. Protein and vitamins will keep you healthy.

Note: Creatine can be used, but I would not recommend it till you get 18 or 19. Creatine Monohydrate can cause bloating and even cramping if not enough water is consumed. Secondly, if you do not want to gain water weight whether you are female or male..do not take Creatine Monohydrate.

Growth Hormone, Test Boosters, ProHormones
    Teenagers should refrain from any steroids, prohormones, designer steroids, and even natural test boosters. Your body is still growing at the teenage stage and the use of these will be detrimental to your health. The use of test boosters can begin around the age of 25 when test is going down, but you still should get blood work around the time to be safe.

Here are some stats compiled by Ryan Calfee, MD; Paul Fadale, MD; Pediatrics, March 2006.

Steroids-it's estimated that between 4% and 11% of high school boys and up to about 3% of high school girls use these drugs.

Growth Hormone-One survey of 10th-grade boys showed that nearly 5% reported using growth hormone for improving sports performance,

Andro or DHEA-Studies suggest that 4% to 5% of teen athletes admit to using andro or DHEA within the past year.

These drugs should be avoided at all cost.

Ephedrine, Caffeine, Thermogenics, NO
    Even though Ephedrine is banned, there are other dangers out there. Many people take caffeine or thermogenic ingredients and then go outside in the blazing heat and succumb to heat stroke. Athletes who took ephedrine has highers cases of high blood pressure, irregular heartbeats, and even death than just being outside. They speed up your heart providing quick energy, but not using them in the righy way can lead to death.

RESEARCH
    Teens should use resources like the library and talk to their physician first before going on the internet and looking at sites. The library is valuable tool and should be used. The internet is not all truth, while the library provides more direct evidence and the likelihood of things being true are greater. Parents should also talk to their kids about supplements and provide them with needed education before a problem. Parents must be pro-active and not reactive. If you use research, then you will be able to find the exact ages of when you can use particular supplements.

Parents should encourage teenagers to use safe ways to gain strength and get bigger. Proper nutrition, good training, and mental focus are the first chances for teenagers to reach their goals. Then, they can supplement with whey protein and vitamins. Parents should also discuss the dangers of illegal supplements and show them the negative impact that it has on people.

Sports are been torn apart about harmful supplements. You can look at cycling, football, or baseball as just a couple of sports who have had athletes succumb to the temptation of wanting to make the NFL, get more money, get national fame, and making their career longer. Images of star athletes behind bars encourages teenagers to play fair whether it be in athletics or any other arena. You cheat in the classroom and you can cheat on the playing field. If Parents do their jobs and their children listen, I think our kids will be safe.

Education is the key.
    Last edited by History in Effect; 03-11-2008 at 05:10 PM.
    Georgia Crew
    >>>>Misc Cologne Crew<<<<
    Sperrys and Polos

HarleyG_123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HarleyG_123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HarleyG_123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HarleyG_123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HarleyG_123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HarleyG_123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HarleyG_123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HarleyG_123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HarleyG_123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HarleyG_123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HarleyG_123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

these comps are great
    Attached Files
    www.slimdownshapeup.com

Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000)
    entered
    Attached Files

mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000)

teen supps

The way I supp'd for sports so many years ago (no gramps)

mrkdrt's entry

Attached Files

mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by bigcalves View Post

9) NO2 Product

Nitric oxide is nature's natural anabolic. Nitric oxide controls the circulation of blood and the rate of which nutrients are being carried. Get ready for mind boggling pumps at the gym. The first time I took an NO2 product, I was amazed at the energy and pump that it gave me. I totally recommend this supplement for any teen with some extra cash. It is a great pre-workout supplement that keeps you pumped up all day, even when you are done lifting!

My choice of NO2 Product Is BB.com's BSN NO Explode
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bsn/xplode.html

NO2 = nitrogen dioxide..
    (no rudeness implied)

Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ever heard of NO2 Platinum or NO2 Black? Maybe he's referring to a brand name. But if you look at the forum, people oftenly use the shorthand NO2 when they're talking about Nitric Oxide products, even though the correct terminology would be "NO".

NO can be misinterpretted as a negative response though, as opposed to YES.

And again I'm sure I'm risking being rude also, but criticizing someones article seems rude to me. Sorry if that also turned out to be rude without intending to be.

Originally Posted by Opiewags99 View Post
    ever heard of NO2 Platinum or NO2 Black? Maybe he's referring to a brand name. But if you look at the forum, people oftenly use the shorthand NO2 when they're talking about Nitric Oxide products, even though the correct terminology would be "NO".

And again I'm sure I'm risking being rude also, but criticizing someones article seems rude to me. Sorry if that also turned out to be rude without intending to be.
    Like I said.. I didn't want that to sound rude.. Just don't want some teen jacking NO2 from chem lab and getting ill'd

Here's my article for this week. Hopefully you're not tired for the numeous other entries and give it a read. The clean version is attached below

Teens are always looking for the next big supplement to hit the market. However, they don't always consider the effects it could potentially have on them.

The teenage years are a very common time in a person?s life when they begin to strive for an outstanding physique. This type of physique is commonly associated with bodybuilding. This is perhaps due to the need to attract and impress the opposite sex, or to succeed in a sport. Either reason being a good one, because in addition to helping you succeed in your goal you will also be making yourself a healthier person which in turn will lead to a happier life. In order to most efficiently and quickly reach these goals of building muscle, losing fat, or somewhere in between, supplements are almost essential. So this leads us to the subject of this week?s article; what are the best supplements to help a teenager achieve their goals in terms of beginning a bodybuilding lifestyle or taking your physique to the next level. These will be discussed below.

The Essentials:
    1. Whey Protein
    When exerting the body with strenuous resistance training or weight lifting, adequate protein consumption is essential to rebuild the muscles in a bigger and stronger state. Without adequate supplementation it is hard to reach the required amount of protein that is needed by the body. More specifically, it is hard to get the protein absorbed by your body quickly immediately after a workout. This is where whey protein comes into play. Whey protein is a protein source derived from milk. It is soluble in water and thus can be very easily mixed with water for a smooth and clump-less shake. When consumed, it is rapidly absorbed by the body and broken down into its monomer amino acids then allowed to quickly flood into the muscles for optimum muscle repair and regrowth.
    2. Multivitamin
    Vitamins and minerals are essential for proper physiological body function. How can one expect to put on the maximum amount of muscle and burn the most amount of fat if the body isn?t even functioning to its potential? The answer is that the body can not do it without these vitamins and minerals. This is why I suggest to everyone with a gym membership to invest in a high quality multivitamin such as Universal Animal Pak or AST Multi Pro 32X.
    3. Creatine
    Creatine is one of most popular bodybuilding and athletic enhancement supplements for one simple reason: IT WORKS. Creatine floods the muscles with water, bringing precious nutrients with it in addition to supplying phosphates for much more efficient ATP (Energy) production. More ATP is then able to be regenerated in the mitochondria of the muscle cells, essentially allowing you to perform a couple extra reps each set. This in turn will lead to lean muscle gains. Creatine monohydrate is what I use, for both putting on mass and also helping me keep muscle mass while cutting fat.
    4. Casein Protein
    Casein protein is another type of protein that is originally derived from milk. This type of protein actually interacts with water to have a moderate thickening effect. This effect is even more pronounced when casein powder is mixed with milk. This thickening effect also happens in the stomach after consuming a casein shake, making it take a much longer amount of time for the body to digest and process the protein. This is why casein is considered to be a bedtime protein; because it takes a long time to digest meaning that it will help keep the body in a positive nitrogenous balance for a longer period time. This means more anabolism and much less muscle breakdown while sleeping. It can also effectively be used to suppress appetite for a good amount of time because of that lengthened time that it stays in the digestive tract. I suggest Optimum Nutrition?s 100% Casein Chocolate Supreme, it?s my personal favorite midnight snack.

The Electives (But I still definitely recommend them):
    A. Nitric Oxide Promoters
    Nitric oxide or NO products help create that ?pump? feeling that really leads you to some of your most successful workouts. What they usually consist of is an arginine supplement of one form or another (Arginine Alpha-Ketoglutarate, Arginine Ethyl-Ester, etc.) Arginine is an amino acid that is typically known to help promote strong and quick muscle contraction, so you can see how supplementing this amino acid could help you in your bodybuilding conquests. Personally, after I started taking MRI?s NO2 Platinum, my productivity in the gym went through the roof. I felt like doing extra sets, and always wanted and still want to do just that one extra rep because the burn feels so good. If you?ve never tried a NO supplement, I would definitely advise you to give it a shot, as it?s my favorite supplement.
    B. Meal Replacements
    Meal replacements are an excellent way to get adequate protein and an otherwise well rounded nutritious meal for people who seem to be more often than not on the run. When you?ve got things that you need to accomplish for the day, what could be better than pulling out a pouch of nutritionally exceptional food to curb that hunger? And not only that, you can get it in your favorite flavor, so it feels like a cheat food! I love my chocolate MRP; it tastes even better than most ice creams. You can?t go wrong with EAS?s Myoplex packets, and don?t forget to get a shaker!
    C. Weight Gainers
    Now, weight gainers are the perfect solution for those of you who just can?t seem to put on muscle. People always ask, ?Won?t I get fat?? And my answer is, if you?re training hard and breaking down all of those muscle fibers, you?ll put on much more muscle than fat from a weight gainer. On the other hand, if you?re not working out very hard at all, perhaps a simple whey protein is more up your alley. I?d only suggest weight gainers to ectomorphs that are serious about training and want to put on some substantial amounts of muscle.
    Teens should keep in mind that not everything that can legally be sold in GNC is healthy and good for you. Also, some of the stuff that jacked guy at your local gym has been offering you may also be harmful to your health. Some things to stay away from:
    ? Hormone altering substances
    Now I know that you?ve heard this a million times before, but steroids are definitely not the ideal way to put on muscle if your goal is to live a long and healthy life. Some people argue that they can be safe, but why risk it? Do it the natural and proven to be safe ways. As a teen, your body is already producing incredibly high amounts of all the necessary hormones to build huge amounts of muscle, so just keep away from anything hormone altering, because they can be risky even though some of them can be found on the shelves of your local dietary supplement store.
    ? Stimulants
    Stimulants such as fat burners are not such a good idea for people that are in their teenage years. Typically your metabolism is at its highest point in your life already, so even if you?re trying to lose fat; it?s certainly doable through the use of a clean diet and an intense exercise regimen. Save the fat burners for later in life when your metabolism actually slows down, they?re too pricey for the average teen in any case, try a NO product instead (they?re safe and they are more effective by helping you get through tough workouts.)
    ? Illegal substances
    Now I know it?s no secret that some of the pro bodybuilders use illegal substances such as T3, clen, or even the recently banned ephedra to lose that extra fat, but keep in mind that these pharmaceutical substances are illegal for a reason. They can have permanent and harmful effects that can mess with the rest of your life. Years ago, I worked as a cashier at an American Eagle, and this girl that had been working there for over a year fell down, had a heart attack and died at work one day. She was taking ephedra in addition to already having a heart condition, which is certainly not a smart thing to do. Plain and simple, stay away from the illegal substances, they are not legal for a reason, and that reason is most likely your safety.

One of the most useful tools in learning about dietary supplements is the internet. Clearly you?ve found that out already, because you?re here reading this Bodybuilding.com article. This web site is one of the best sources of information on supplements, because it?s not only about selling supplements on this site, unlike most websites. This site is truly devoted to the bodybuilding community, and keeping them educated about the real issues associated with weight training, fat loss, nutrition, as well as other new and important topics. To answer the question above more specifically, you alone can do the research required to see what it appropriate for your diet and exercise regimen. All I?ve done here is lay down some information on a few supplements that I?ve tried, had success with, and had ill no side effects from. Make sure you do your own research before taking any supplements, but the ones listed above are an excellent place to begin your searches.

As stated above, teens should make sure that they know what they?re taking when they begin looking into the world of supplements. There are many dangerous supplements out there and the use of your brain is absolutely essential in order to keep yourself safe from the dangerous ones. Just keep in mind, do the research before investing in a supplement. It not only can save you money, it can save you from taking something that might potentially be harmful to your health.

Thanks for reading!
    -K (Opiewags99)
    Attached Files

u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Opiewags99 View Post

Reading for inaccuracies or typos is called constructive criticism and if we post articles on a web site for public information, I damn sure hope someone is reviewing them.

He wasn't rude, and critiquing with one's opinion is not rude either.
    "Like those in the valley behind us, most people stand in sight of the spiritual mountains all their lives and never enter them, being content to listen to others who have been there and thus avoid the hardships."

Cool

Originally Posted by mrkdrt View Post
    NO2 = nitrogen dioxide..
    (no rudeness implied)
    Well even our own BodyBuilding.Com lists it as NO2 nitric oxide.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/no2.html
    Last edited by bigcalves; 03-16-2008 at 01:27 PM.

u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by bigcalves View Post
    Well even our own BodyBuilding.Com lists it as NO2 nitric oxide.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/no2.html
    Nitric Oxide is actually NO2, but years ago when this product was gaining popularity, many copanies implemented "NO2" and played off the idea of increased O2 delivery and such similar things. Laypersons probably don't know what nitrogen is, let alone nitrogen nomenclature .
    "Like those in the valley behind us, most people stand in sight of the spiritual mountains all their lives and never enter them, being content to listen to others who have been there and thus avoid the hardships."

stacking celltech&synthol swollPH91's Avatar
    swollPH91 is just really nice. (+1000) swollPH91 is just really nice. (+1000) swollPH91 is just really nice. (+1000) swollPH91 is just really nice. (+1000) swollPH91 is just really nice. (+1000) swollPH91 is just really nice. (+1000) swollPH91 is just really nice. (+1000) swollPH91 is just really nice. (+1000) swollPH91 is just really nice. (+1000) swollPH91 is just really nice. (+1000) swollPH91 is just really nice. (+1000)

no2 platinum

what (if any) negative effects do you guys think no2 platinum could have on a 17 yr. old?

Originally Posted by swollPH91 View Post
    what (if any) negative effects do you guys think no2 platinum could have on a 17 yr. old?
    an empty wallet

tomjeans has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Best product for teens

Energy shots and energy spray the best product for your health.This is a nutramist product and use nutramist product any time you feel sluggish or need an extra boost.

http://www.nutramistproducts.com/energy/index.php