Lee_P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Best Shoulder Exercises with Bad Back

Hi people.

This is my first post, so I'll introduce myself first. I'm in my mid 20's and have been bodybuilding for roughly 6 months. All my workouts are with dumbbells.

I am currently recovering from a lower back injury and although it doesn't affect my arms and chest workouts, I'm finding it too risky doing Arnold Press, Shoulder Press and Lateral Raises.

Does anyone have any suggestions for safe alternatives which reduce the risk of injuring the back further ?

I have a workout bench, but I'm just not sure if there are any good exercises for the shoulders that can be done lying down, which take the stress off the lower back.

Thanks !!
    Lee.
    Last edited by Lee_P; 03-05-2008 at 08:39 AM.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Can you perform seated variations of the lateral raise?

Try l-raises and upright rows.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/Sho...l#anchor166631
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    don't underestimate the effectiveness of your bench for working shoulders!

for now, doing various angled bench presses will also safely work your shoulders.

in addition to that, DJ set you off in the right direction, re-read his advice and check out his link.

Ringo Star is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ringo Star is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ringo Star is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ringo Star is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ringo Star is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ringo Star is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ringo Star is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ringo Star is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ringo Star is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ringo Star is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ringo Star is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    60 degree bench press could be an option!
    "A woman's test is material. A man's test is a woman...if a man could **** in a cardboard box, he wouldn't buy a house." - Dave Chappelle

h3yhOwy0udOin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) h3yhOwy0udOin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) h3yhOwy0udOin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) h3yhOwy0udOin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) h3yhOwy0udOin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) h3yhOwy0udOin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) h3yhOwy0udOin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) h3yhOwy0udOin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) h3yhOwy0udOin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) h3yhOwy0udOin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) h3yhOwy0udOin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    seated shrugs

seated side D.B. raises
    "The iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk. Get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The iron will always kick you the real deal. The iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me. never runs. friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds." -Henry Rollins-

Lee_P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the advice dudes.

I'll be trying some of those out.

Cheers.
    Lee.

lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I also have a lower back injury and this routine is good for me.

Seated machine press

Seated lateral raises (sit right on the edge of the bench and lower the dumbbells between ur legs, this way you dont have to lean forward much)

Cable lateral raises

Seated front raises hammer grip

Reverse pec dec (if you have acces try lying on an incline bench)

I also wear a tight lifting belt and take care to never put strain on my lower back whilst setting myself for exercises or picking weights up.