GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Any car buffs here?

I was watching the LA international auto show yesterday and I saw where Pontiac is coming out with a 2004 edition of their famous GTO

Since this is the over 35 group I thought there might some that would wax nostalgic over an old American muscle car coming back to life. I really love my Acura 3.2 TL Type S, but may have to look long and hard at the GTO when it is released.

One of my other passions is car detailing and I plan to post a picture of my car once I finish my spring detail.
    "Give a man a fish you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

MagicMel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MagicMel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MagicMel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MagicMel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MagicMel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MagicMel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MagicMel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MagicMel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MagicMel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MagicMel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MagicMel has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I wouldn't consider myself a true car buff, but I sure do miss my '71 RoadRunner.
    383cu. in., Edelbrock Torquer manifold, Holley carb, RacerBrown cam, Hooker headers, Mallory ignition, B&M modified tranny.

Gatorvrx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah, 45 year old car buff here. Where to start? I have owned the following at one time or another, and yes GLA, I'm into car detailing as well.

68 GTO w/400, his and hers shifter, etc.
    70 Dodge Charger 500 w/383 Magnum
    70 Olds Cutless w/350
    71 Ford Torino w/351 cleveland
    94 Pontiac Formula w/LT-1
    86 Mustang, 5.0 liter

Now I'm driving a 2002 Suzuki XL-7, but it even has many aftermarket upgrades!

GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Gatorvrx and Mel

Thanks for the replies. I am really considering the GTO when it is released, but my initial concern is going to be the price of gasoline then.

It looks like both of you have owned some really fine automobiles.
    "Give a man a fish you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Phatman1179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey I use Zanio Bros for all my auto wax (http://www.zainobros.com/).
    You guys got any detailing tips? I have a 2001 Mustangf GT Convertable I am trying to keep Clean
    Age doesn't matter, willingness to do the hard work is what matters.

For cleaning and waxing supplies, I use Mothers products, or "Kolorseal" Glaze from one of the local detail supply companies.
    I really like Mothers products. Other good quality cleaning/wax products that I like include liquid glass, or astroshield. I live in Florida, so the sun plays hell on paint jobs, especially dark colors. I usually clean one or twice a week, and wax at least quarterly. Sometimes in between waxings, I'll use a spray- on wipe off quick wax.

I hand wash, followed by a hand wax and buff, and then a machine buff. I love to take abused cars and make them look like they just came off the showroom floor!

Phatman

I hear a lot of good things about Zaino. When I got my car last year I ended up with Blackfire and P21S as my polish, protectant, and carnauba wax choices. I also splurged and bought a Porter Cable buffer/polisher.

Twice a year I perform the following extensive detail. I perform smaller versions of this detail many times during good weather.

Spray P21S wheel spray on wheels then wash off
    Scrub all tires with Eimann Fabrik all purpose cleaner
    Wash car with Dawn (strips all previous wax layers)
    Wash car with P21S car wash
    Use California Water Blade for first pass of drying
    Use Leaf Blower to blow dry rest of car (I know it sounds funny)
    Apply coat of Blackfire Polish with Porter Cable machine polisher
    Apply coat of Blackfire Protectant with Porter Cable
    Apply coat of P21S carnauba wax
    Wash all windows with Eimann Fabrik glass cleaner

This detail takes me about 3 hours and the other ones usually take about 1 hour. Doing this and lifting weights are my two main hobbies. I don't have any children so it makes it easier to have time for this.

BePrecise is on a distinguished road. (+10) BePrecise is on a distinguished road. (+10) BePrecise is on a distinguished road. (+10) BePrecise is on a distinguished road. (+10) BePrecise is on a distinguished road. (+10) BePrecise is on a distinguished road. (+10) BePrecise is on a distinguished road. (+10) BePrecise is on a distinguished road. (+10) BePrecise is on a distinguished road. (+10) BePrecise is on a distinguished road. (+10) BePrecise is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Wink

Oh My!
    You have really hit a nerve with me!
    I will really need all of your support (not just with the bodybuilding), with the wealth of car expertise on this board. I have a '68 Dodge Charger w/ 383HP that my wife MAY let me start restoring this summer.
    I currently drive an '88 Mustang LX, 5.0 with the usual bolt-ons and a little "juice". She needs to be retired after too many Michigan winters and 152,000 miles.
    I don't think I could buy the new GTO until I own a "real one" first. But I must admit that the new Mustang design had me thinking for the first time about a new one since 1993.
    TRUE PROTEIN DISCOUNT CODE: DND849

Originally posted by GLAlexander
    Phatman

I hear a lot of good things about Zaino. When I got my car last year I ended up with Blackfire and P21S as my polish, protectant, and carnauba wax choices. I also splurged and bought a Porter Cable buffer/polisher.

Twice a year I perform the following extensive detail. I perform smaller versions of this detail many times during good weather.

Spray P21S wheel spray on wheels then wash off
    Scrub all tires with Eimann Fabrik all purpose cleaner
    Wash car with Dawn (strips all previous wax layers)
    Wash car with P21S car wash
    Use California Water Blade for first pass of drying
    Use Leaf Blower to blow dry rest of car (I know it sounds funny)
    Apply coat of Blackfire Polish with Porter Cable machine polisher
    Apply coat of Blackfire Protectant with Porter Cable
    Apply coat of P21S carnauba wax
    Wash all windows with Eimann Fabrik glass cleaner

This detail takes me about 3 hours and the other ones usually take about 1 hour. Doing this and lifting weights are my two main hobbies. I don't have any children so it makes it easier to have time for this.
    Sounds like what I go though:

Once a Year:
    Wash with Dawn
    Clay Bar the Car
    Wash again
    Polish with Z1
    Polish with Z5 (wait an hour)
    Z5 again (keep doing this until I like the shine)
    Finish with Z2 polish to lock it down
    Z6 Gloss Enhancer
    Tires
    Windows
    Done

I wash her at least twice a month and hit it with the gloss enhancer after every wash. Wax once a quarter. I was actually thinking of taking the Tires off this year to clean the rims inside and out but I may be getting carried away! LOL I may go after the Polisher/Buffer this year if the wife will let me

Oh and the Zanio is amazing stuff. Take a look at the web site pictures. They are no lie.
    Last edited by Phatman1179; 03-06-2003 at 06:35 AM.

Alright I just had to throw one up. Took this after I washed it last year and hit it with the Z6.
    Attached Images

Phatman

Very nice! I forgot to add that I use Pinnacles Clay Bar system also. A very vital step IMO. Your car looks great. IMHO Black and Red are the two best car colors if they are properly cleaned.

Agreed GLA, Black and Red and even a Dark Blue are the bomb. My last vehicle was a Black 99 Rodeo LS. When it was detailed it looked sharp. Now I have a silver 2002 Suzuki XL-7. Sure it looks nice cleaned up but has no where near the pizazz of a black or red vehicle.

New GTO from 2003 Car Show

Some picts from the car show
    Attached Images

Another
    Attached Images

Unhappy

ANother
    Attached Images

TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000)

Re: Any car buffs here?

Originally posted by GLAlexander
    Any car Buffs here?
    I have a car ... but ... I sure ain't Buff

I'm slow but I'm working on it

Kinda miss my 68 Dodge Charger from time to time.
    Question is: are you really going to mind if you hit your goals without puking 3 times a week?
    by Daniel Roberts

Phatman

Thanks for the pics. That GTO looks pretty sweet, but at the rate gas prices are going up in the US I will be driving a hybrid car soon.

We had good weather in Memphis Saturday and I got my car cleaned up. I didn't do the full spring detail, but was able to apply some of my Quick Detailer spray after the wash and dry.