2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Was diagnosed with a grade 2 calf strain today

Yeah, I am a long distance runner and buggered up my calf about a month ago. I have been trying to rehabilitate it but to no avail so I saw a physio. He gave me a massage and told me to do 60 reps of calf raises each day, and to not run for two weeks.

I was looking on the net and average recovery for a grade 2 strain is about 6-8 weeks, so after two weeks exercising I guess it should be healed, I sure as hell hope so.

Anyone else ever strained a leg muscle? What other exercises might I need to do if it doesn't get better in a few weeks?

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    ouch sounds painful, just wondering what are the symptoms.. does it hurt every time u take a step, when it was diagnosed.. ?
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by MrSinister View Post
    ouch sounds painful, just wondering what are the symptoms.. does it hurt every time u take a step, when it was diagnosed.. ?
    No it doesn't hurt when I take a step, It's just 90% the strength of the other one, and it drags behind and becomes tight and I am unable to run on it. It was daignosed today, but I knew it was a strain when I did it.

Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by 2003 View Post
    Yeah, I am a long distance runner and buggered up my calf about a month ago. I have been trying to rehabilitate it but to no avail so I saw a physio. He gave me a massage and told me to do 60 reps of calf raises each day, and to not run for two weeks.

I was looking on the net and average recovery for a grade 2 strain is about 6-8 weeks, so after two weeks exercising I guess it should be healed, I sure as hell hope so.

Anyone else ever strained a leg muscle? What other exercises might I need to do if it doesn't get better in a few weeks?
    hmmm he told you to just not run for two weeks and do 60 reps of calf raises a day? That's all he said? lmao.

A grade two strain is pretty serious. A grade 1 is a typical mild muscle pull people get which can take 2-4 weeks to heal. Grade two is a moderate tear of the fibers but the fibers are still intact and not completely torn. Grade 3 is a complete muscle tear.

I would do as he said but also some other things. Make sure you go easy on the stretching at first also. Extreme stretching may make it WORSE. Just do light calf raises the first two weeks and LIGHT stretching.

Week 3 I would add in some harder stretching and some very very light jogging in week 4. From there I would just keep adding in some more and more running and strength training.

Just and FYI you're right and can take from 6-8 weeks for a grade 2 strain to feel better. Although some people will struggle with a grade 2 strain for 3 up to 6 months. So take it seriously.

Do you know if it was in the more severe range of a grade 2 strain or did your doc say it was a higher grade 1 low grade 2 strain?

dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Did he take an MRI to reach his conclusion? Is there any bruising on the skin?

Do the toe raises, and eventually do them off a stair or platform that leaves your heel hanging over. Make sure you do mild stretching it often throughout the day, holding the stretch for 5 seconds.

The thing that really helped my hamstring tear was contrast temp things, like in the shower turn it on as hot as you can stand it for 3-5 minutes, then turn it on as cold as you could stand it for 3-5 minutes.
    I hate POGs that pretend to be hard ass warriors

Originally Posted by Flex500 View Post
    hmmm he told you to just not run for two weeks and do 60 reps of calf raises a day? That's all he said? lmao.

A grade two strain is pretty serious. A grade 1 is a typical mild muscle pull people get which can take 2-4 weeks to heal. Grade two is a moderate tear of the fibers but the fibers are still intact and not completely torn. Grade 3 is a complete muscle tear.

I would do as he said but also some other things. Make sure you go easy on the stretching at first also. Extreme stretching may make it WORSE. Just do light calf raises the first two weeks and LIGHT stretching.

Week 3 I would add in some harder stretching and some very very light jogging in week 4. From there I would just keep adding in some more and more running and strength training.

Just and FYI you're right and can take from 6-8 weeks for a grade 2 strain to feel better. Although some people will struggle with a grade 2 strain for 3 up to 6 months. So take it seriously.

Do you know if it was in the more severe range of a grade 2 strain or did your doc say it was a higher grade 1 low grade 2 strain?
    He didn't say if it was high or low grade 2 or whatever, but keep in mind I did this injury over a month ago, so he said it has probably already started to heal.

I have to see him in 4 days again, to show him my running shoes to see if that may have caused it. He didn't say anything about stretching but yeah I probably won't do stretching at all or maybe one or two 5 second stretches.

Originally Posted by dunk View Post
    Did he take an MRI to reach his conclusion? Is there any bruising on the skin?

Do the toe raises, and eventually do them off a stair or platform that leaves your heel hanging over. Make sure you do mild stretching it often throughout the day, holding the stretch for 5 seconds.

The thing that really helped my hamstring tear was contrast temp things, like in the shower turn it on as hot as you can stand it for 3-5 minutes, then turn it on as cold as you could stand it for 3-5 minutes.
    There may have been light brusing when it occured but that was a month ago. No he didn't take an MRI, and I am already doing them off a stair, thats how he showed me to do them.

ducrider has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Calf Strain

I did a short warm up jog then sprinted about 100m, felt great and commenced doing vertical jumps as I leaped from my left leg I felt and thought I heard a pop/snap and felt an instant tightness to my calf. The pain really isnt that bad but it is really tight. Has anyone had this happen to them if so what was the recovery time and what did you do for rehabilitation. I have currently increased my glutamine intake and taking animal flex for the MSM. Would taking a test booster like epistane help the recovery?? Thanks any help would be great.

Sportrida has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 2003 View Post

Use kinesio tape, I had a grade 2 strain and within 3 days was back in the gym.

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Sportrida View Post
    Use kinesio tape, I had a grade 2 strain and within 3 days was back in the gym.
    post from 2007, he might have died due to never getting this information in time