Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Figachewy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Figachewy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Figachewy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Figachewy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Figachewy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Figachewy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Figachewy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Figachewy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Figachewy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Figachewy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Figachewy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Arnold Schwarzenegger's BB Encyclopedia Questions.

I just bought Arnold Schwarzenegger's New Modern Encyclopedia to Bodybuilding -- anyone else have it? What did you think of it?

I've noticed a lot of the stuff he explains is similar to the stuff people have been preaching in the forums. However, some stuff I don't recall seeing before?

-arnold suggests 14-16 sets for large muscles, I thought this was considered overtraining? Or would this just be too much for smaller muscles like biceps? In that case, anyone have a particular guess for the number of bicep sets that should be done?

-arnold says supersets and dropsets are good for further fatiguing muscle fibers, so should I do these all the time?

-arnold says he does powerlifting days one a week. should everyone do these occasionally to generally increase strength and thus have more weight to work with? Should these power days replace regular days?

-arnold suggest as a beginning workout to have 2 body cycles per week (as in work the entire body twice in a week) and 3 body cycles for the more advanced. I'm currently on 1 body cycle/week and was wondering if I should double it up or just go as my body seems capable of?

Thanks.

Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Arnold's book is great for some overall information and has truly inspired me to workout. It is really amazing!
    Page 139- 12 sets for the large muscle group for beginners. Read more carefully! Although also always have in mind that he had INCREDIBLE genetics. That is why he suggests working out 6 days a week. I do not recommend it. Have one body cycle per week.
    Use supersets and drop sets IF YOU ARE ADVANCED. Otherwise, you may try them once in a while, but do not use them on regular basis. They are used to shock the muscle. If you use them all the time, the body will adapt and you will lose a precious weapon for tearing that muscle fibers
    He does not do powerlifting, but power training. Although he suggests once a week to try our max, his point about power training is that you should not always keep you rep range 8-12, but try 6, four, even 2 at a time. He explains well why. IT is good.
    I do not follow his program step by step, but with his help 'I realized which are the best exercises for beginning and strength. 6 months ago I did not know what a bent-over row is, or how to perform deadlifts. Thank God I had money to buy this encyclopedia.
    Go man!

Aussie machine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Arnee's workouts and advice, would probably be awesome if we all had as much juice as he was taking when he did the exercises.

You must remeber that the book is written on what worked for him, not necessary the correct way to bodybuild.

Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by Aussie machine
    Arnee's workouts and advice, would probably be awesome if we all had as much juice as he was taking when he did the exercises.

You must remeber that the book is written on what worked for him, not necessary the correct way to bodybuild.
    True!!!

Mingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Re: Arnold Schwarzenegger's BB Encyclopedia Questions.

Originally posted by Figachewy
    I just bought Arnold Schwarzenegger's New Modern Encyclopedia to Bodybuilding -- anyone else have it? What did you think of it?

I've noticed a lot of the stuff he explains is similar to the stuff people have been preaching in the forums. However, some stuff I don't recall seeing before?

-arnold suggests 14-16 sets for large muscles, I thought this was considered overtraining? Or would this just be too much for smaller muscles like biceps? In that case, anyone have a particular guess for the number of bicep sets that should be done?

-arnold says supersets and dropsets are good for further fatiguing muscle fibers, so should I do these all the time?

-arnold says he does powerlifting days one a week. should everyone do these occasionally to generally increase strength and thus have more weight to work with? Should these power days replace regular days?

-arnold suggest as a beginning workout to have 2 body cycles per week (as in work the entire body twice in a week) and 3 body cycles for the more advanced. I'm currently on 1 body cycle/week and was wondering if I should double it up or just go as my body seems capable of?

Thanks.
    Decent book, but it's more of a source of motivation than actual valuble training practices.

1. Everyone responds differently to different variations of volume in their training. Arnold was on steroids and used insane volume, often doing 50+ sets a day. If you were to do that, you would collapse. I personally prefer around 6-8 sets for large muscle groups like legs, back and chest, and around 4 - 5 sets for smaller muscle groups, like biceps or triceps. Some people prefer 12-20 sets for large muscle groups, and 8-10 for smaller muscle groups. The only way to see what works best for you is to experiment.

There is no set number of sets that constitutes overtraining. This depends on the individuals genetics. It also largely depends on variables outside of genetics such as quality of diet and sleep. Again, the only way to find the thin line between under and over training is to experiment.

2. Supersets and drop sets are training methods to boost the amount of work done in a certain time. They are useful to shock muscles into growth if your routine is getting stale and your not experiencing as good results as when you started. I suggest just doing regular sets and using these tools to spice up your routine every once in a while, to avoid reaching a plateu.

3. That is up to you. If you feel the need to focus on strength then have a powerlifting session when you want to.

4. Definetly stick to training your entire body just once a week. Again, Arnold was on a cocktail of things you can't get at the local pharmacy. He would often train his entire body three times a week, with calves and abs everyday. This is foolish for a natural bodybuilder and will leave you overtrained within 2 weeks.
    "It was time to put all the talk aside and get to work. I was going to get big, and there was nothing that would stop me."

- Sean Nalewanyj

ultramuscle22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

yeah, unfortunately he does not mention that in his book so a lot of beginners get confused.

fupafighter2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fupafighter2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fupafighter2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fupafighter2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fupafighter2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fupafighter2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fupafighter2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fupafighter2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fupafighter2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fupafighter2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fupafighter2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    yeah arnie did some heavy gear, this workout plan is overkill, no recuperation time and face it, u try it u wont have a life

Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Arnold says a lot of things, don't put too much faith in that book.
    "Government should stay the hell out of people's business." - Senator Barry Goldwater

honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'd rather put my faith in his book rather than the majority of the people on these boards.

Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I don't know about that, there's a lot of morons on these boards, but there's a lot of smart, well informed people too.
    "Government should stay the hell out of people's business." - Senator Barry Goldwater

PeCz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PeCz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PeCz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PeCz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PeCz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PeCz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PeCz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PeCz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PeCz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PeCz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PeCz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Theres noone in the world that should tell you how to plan your workout... only offer advice everyones diffrent by far.. I also have to book its nice to look at all the exercises and find out what there for.. and the pictures for modivation .. Look at the Flex Wheeler pic in the BB hall of fame part.. is it me or is that guy just JACKED for his size... hes got like tom platz theighs and huge arms and hes def a ectomorph

Anomeley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Anomeley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Anomeley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Anomeley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Anomeley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Anomeley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Anomeley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Anomeley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Anomeley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Anomeley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Anomeley has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thumbs down

Here we go again. Another one that knows more than the Master. Ummm......which muliple Mr. O were you?

Anomeley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Anomeley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Anomeley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Anomeley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Anomeley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Anomeley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Anomeley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Anomeley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Anomeley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Anomeley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Anomeley has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thumbs down

Originally posted by Ulyanov
    I don't know about that, there's a lot of morons on these boards, but there's SO VERY FEW smart, well informed people.

A little help with your quote

warchild is just really nice. (+1000) warchild is just really nice. (+1000) warchild is just really nice. (+1000) warchild is just really nice. (+1000) warchild is just really nice. (+1000) warchild is just really nice. (+1000) warchild is just really nice. (+1000) warchild is just really nice. (+1000) warchild is just really nice. (+1000) warchild is just really nice. (+1000) warchild is just really nice. (+1000)
    Very informative book. I love it.

Originally posted by Anomeley
    Here we go again. Another one that knows more than the Master. Ummm......which muliple Mr. O were you?
    How many times does it need to be said? Size does not equal knowledge! Arnold was a great bodybuilder, but that doesn't mean he knows anything. I'd much rather take advise from Stuart McRobert or Charles Poliquin or somebody else who may not look like Arnold, but actually know things and train people.

A little help with your quote
    No, I think I had it right the first time.

Registered User trainevenharder's Avatar
    trainevenharder has a spectacular aura about. (+250) trainevenharder has a spectacular aura about. (+250) trainevenharder has a spectacular aura about. (+250) trainevenharder has a spectacular aura about. (+250) trainevenharder has a spectacular aura about. (+250) trainevenharder has a spectacular aura about. (+250) trainevenharder has a spectacular aura about. (+250) trainevenharder has a spectacular aura about. (+250) trainevenharder has a spectacular aura about. (+250) trainevenharder has a spectacular aura about. (+250) trainevenharder has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You're an idiot - Do you have any idea how much Arnold juiced? Why do you think he had heart surgery a few years ago?

Go ahead, use the same routine as him and we'll see how big you get.

Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by Ulyanov
    How many times does it need to be said? Size does not equal knowledge! Arnold was a great bodybuilder, but that doesn't mean he knows anything.
    I'd rather have size and not know a damn thing rather than have all the knowledge and be a skinny bastard.

honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I know a few people who follow his routines very closely, and they're jacked. I don't train every part 3 times a week or anything, but with a modified workout from the book, I have noticed respectable gains after a month. Yeah, so he used steroids and supposedly has good genetics, but his program works for me. I'd like to know if anyone (and I'm sure there are) has really tried a workout of his and didn't gain anything like just about everyone on here claims about. Oh why should I bother, it's just going to be more bull**** like I'm a 15 year old who benches 350...

Mingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Following any professional bodybuilders routine is a dumb idea.

Arnold was huge, and had IMO one of the greatest physiques bodybuilding has ever seen, but he was not very knowledgable. I've met MANY people on these boards who are much smarter than Arnold when it comes to bodybuilding.

What does him being 7 time Mr. O have to do with scientific knowledge?

And what does his routines tell you about him? I dare you to try to train your entire body 3 times a week for 3 hours per day, and then come back here and tell me Arnold is a smart bodybuilder.
    "It was time to put all the talk aside and get to work. I was going to get big, and there was nothing that would stop me."

- Sean Nalewanyj

TeenRoidRage is a name known to all. (+5000) TeenRoidRage is a name known to all. (+5000) TeenRoidRage is a name known to all. (+5000) TeenRoidRage is a name known to all. (+5000) TeenRoidRage is a name known to all. (+5000) TeenRoidRage is a name known to all. (+5000) TeenRoidRage is a name known to all. (+5000) TeenRoidRage is a name known to all. (+5000) TeenRoidRage is a name known to all. (+5000) TeenRoidRage is a name known to all. (+5000) TeenRoidRage is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Arnold is a great bodybuilder, actually he was smarter then most of you think, he physced out he's competitors before competiton for example, he made LOU ( the hulk ) his bitch at the 1976 MR O
    making him think he was weaker, and not as big as arnold, that lou didnt even want to pose next to arnold, which ended up in arnold winning the Mr.O Watch PUMPING IRON. CANT WAIT TILL THE ARNOLD CLASSIC COMES ON TONIGHT BABY YESS, and tomorrw on cinemax PUMPING IRON is on
    Currently at 180lb
    Won Mid-Florida Classic BB comp.
    Teen Division. 1st place
    RONNIE COLEMAN guest posed for this contest !! =)
    Just Took 2nd Place at 2003 NPC Lakeland Comp.

VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by Mingo
    Following any professional bodybuilders routine is a dumb idea.

Arnold was huge, and had IMO one of the greatest physiques bodybuilding has ever seen, but he was not very knowledgable. I've met MANY people on these boards who are much smarter than Arnold when it comes to bodybuilding.

What does him being 7 time Mr. O have to do with scientific knowledge?

And what does his routines tell you about him? I dare you to try to train your entire body 3 times a week for 3 hours per day, and then come back here and tell me Arnold is a smart bodybuilder.
    I don't recommend doing exactly what Arnold did, but I think 70% of the people on these boards have no clue what they are talking about. They just follow what somebody else said and then they preach the same thing on these boards just to look smart.

Originally posted by VENGEANCE_X
    I don't recommend doing exactly what Arnold did, but I think 70% of the people on these boards have no clue what they are talking about. They just follow what somebody else said and then they preach the same thing on these boards just to look smart.
    No doubt, I was just saying there are plenty of members who are smarer than Arnold was.

- Sean Nalewanyj

TheGMF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheGMF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheGMF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheGMF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheGMF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheGMF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheGMF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheGMF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheGMF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheGMF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheGMF has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    IMHO, there is much more info on these boards than in any book. I've been here for around a year and have learned more useful information here than a lifetime of school.
    Love the pain,
    Love the gain.

Thumbs down

Originally posted by trainevenharder
    You're an idiot - Do you have any idea how much Arnold juiced? Why do you think he had heart surgery a few years ago?

I don't use the same routine but obviously you are the idiot. I do use AS. Your one of the un-informed that thinks you pop Dbol or shoot Test and set on your ass and watch yourself grow. It takes hard ass work and diet to become an Arnold, nevermind superb genetics. WTF have you accomplished? Nill I am guessing so shut the **** up loser boy and quit dissing the great one. Until you step on stage at the "O" I don't want to here spit out of you. Are we clear?

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Tee
    I'd rather have size and not know a damn thing rather than have all the knowledge and be a skinny bastard.
    Big Bump

They would rather scream out reps of 225 their whole pathetic life

I don't use the same routine but obviously you are the idiot. I do use AS. Your one of the un-informed that thinks you pop Dbol or shoot Test and set on your ass and watch yourself grow. It takes hard ass work and diet to become an Arnold, nevermind superb genetics. WTF have you accomplished? Nill I am guessing so shut the **** up loser boy and quit dissing the great one. Until you step on stage at the "O" I don't want to here spit out of you. Are we clear?

That's just stupid. Again, how many times are we going to say that just because your not a Mr. O dosen't mean you aren't a smart bodybuilder. Sure Arnold is huge but have you ever read that book? It's just good for the pictures, I've learned way more on web sites.

- Sean Nalewanyj

Muscle_Extreme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by trainevenharder

I have used arnold's routine for about 7 months now, i am 18
    Attached Images

Originally posted by Mingo
    That's just stupid. Again, how many times are we going to say that just because your not a Mr. O dosen't mean you aren't a smart bodybuilder. Sure Arnold is huge but have you ever read that book? It's just good for the pictures, I've learned way more on web sites.
    Hell yes I have read it, many times. I probably had read it 3 times when you were still sucking on a binky. Bro, you keep getting your info from web sites designed to sell you something or other teens that talk a lot of smack and one of these days you will get it figured out.
    Attached Images

chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

how do you all know arnold took steroids?

i'm not saying he didnt' or anything b/c it's pretty obvious but i think it's kind of funny that he's all into natural bodybuilding and pushes all these promos for not taking steroids. did he admit to taking them and that's why he had to have heart surgery or did you all just read somewhere that he did?