Hudock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Possibly doing chest workout wrong? PLZ HELP!

I think I'm seriously doing bench press wrong.
    I started lifting last may, was hardcore until about august,
    and in that time, i still only increased from like 135 - 180lbs, im 6'1 255lbs, I have a wide grip, and everything... Is it possible im bending my elbows wrong?

It feels like that im totally using my triceps, in my left arm, the muscle between the forearm and bicep, seems to go out first, then i can no longer put anything up.. What gives??

Please any info is worth it to fix this problem and improve my press.

- josh

KungFuLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Is it possible you're laying the bar too high up your chest? When I first started, I used to press from near the top of my shoulders. Recently, I was corrected and now I bring the weight down near the lower part of my pecs and I feel it in my chest more. Have a sports doctor look at your form. If you have any Universities nearby, they are usually pretty easy to find there.
    ===Give everything and you'll get everything===
    =Your body, your choice=

BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000)
    http://t-mag.com/html/body_115b600.html

http://www.t-mag.com/articles/180press2.html

read those two articles that should help you with bench form, and some ideas on how to train for it. If your into powerlifting i suggest you go to www.deepsquatter.com and look in the archives, and http://www.elitefts.com/ and read all the articles.
    "Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac." -Henry Kissinger

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster . . . for when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally posted by BigKazWSM747
    http://t-mag.com/html/body_115b600.html

that article taught me a lot on benching a while back, a good read

most common mistakes for lack of bench progress are simply not working enough with triceps (e..g, doing only extensions and kickbacks) and shoulders......bench is more than just chest

also, your routine could be at fault...e.g., benching 5x, then incline benching 5x, etc..
    Booo

Thanks

Thanks for the articles, I think i might possibly be bringing it to high up on my pecs... Next time I hit chest I'm going to bring it farther down.

I have a pretty solid routine, my triceps are really strong, as you can see cause I think i was doing chest wrong fo rsuch a long time, they grew almost faster then anything else..

Ill let you know what happens with moving it down my pecs farther.

- josh

after reading both articles, I'm also going to try & keep my elbows in more, and one thing I definatly didnt know, was to keep your body tight. I might be doing it without even knowing it, but to my knowledge im definatly not.

I hvae a really wide shoulder base and this might be createing alot of my problem. I cant wait to get in the gym & try it out..

- josh

Word of warning... when you bring the weight farther down your chest, try it with a lighter weight I didn't and I was a bit surprised LOL
    =Your body, your choice=

Could someone possibly make this thread a sticky? I really think everyone should know about those benching articles posted above.
    =Your body, your choice=