Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Re: Cardio after lifting?

Originally posted by cheffrey19
    This if my first post so bear with me... I know that cardio shouldn't be done before lifting as it will deplete my energy but if I drink a high-carb (high GI carbs) and high-protein shake immediately after lifting, would it be so bad to do about 15 min of high-intensity cardio after lifting? I ask because with my schedule and some transportation issues, it is really tough for me to get to the gym twice in a day to do cardio early in the day and lift later on. Also, I am bulking right now but I hesitate to completely cut out cardio because I don't want increase my BF% too much. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Um, I think it would be ebst to do it on a seperate day but if this is what you can do, it is okay. I wouldn't do it because I would want my body to cool off after my workouts and get protein in fast. BUt if this is the only thing you can do, give it a go. (doing this after leg workouts might not be wise though )
    The Beginner's Guide to Bodybuilding

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101841

cheffrey19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheffrey19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheffrey19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheffrey19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheffrey19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheffrey19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheffrey19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheffrey19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheffrey19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheffrey19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheffrey19 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks Sychokid, I think I will try and do it on separate days. I can't get to the gym almost every day but not twice in the same day. BTW, awesome post!! I wouldn't say I'm a beginner but I have definitely been given so much conflicting information since I played football in high school that I don't know what to believe sometimes. I really like the way you laid everything out so clearly.

Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks Sychokid, I think I will try and do it on separate days. I can't get to the gym almost every day but not twice in the same day. BTW, awesome post!! I wouldn't say I'm a beginner but I have definitely been given so much conflicting information since I played football in high school that I don't know what to believe sometimes. I really like the way you laid everything out so clearly.
    Thanks.

You dont need to go to a gym. I do my high intensity cardio at my house. I just go running outside. I keep a stop watch to tell me how long to sprint/jog for. I find it better this way.

cheffrey19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheffrey19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheffrey19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheffrey19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheffrey19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheffrey19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheffrey19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheffrey19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheffrey19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheffrey19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheffrey19 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ideally, I would love to do that but I am recovering from a car accident and I can't really run, I can get a pretty high-intensity workout on the bike at the gym but I can't run fast enough to get my heart rate up. It's frustrating as it's been over a year since my accident but I was told I might not even walk again so I'm happy where I am.

Ideally, I would love to do that but I am recovering from a car accident and I can't really run, I can get a pretty high-intensity workout on the bike at the gym but I can't run fast enough to get my heart rate up. It's frustrating as it's been over a year since my accident but I was told I might not even walk again so I'm happy where I am.
    Ohhhh, sorry to hear that . I didn't know that you had an injury. Well try both things and see how it goes. You should be fine.

raybravo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raybravo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raybravo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raybravo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raybravo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raybravo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raybravo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raybravo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raybravo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raybravo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raybravo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by Sychokid
    I suggest doing cardio in the morning or something so it keeps your metabolism up the whole day. Also, don't go on a completly empty stomach. Something high in protein/low in carbs like beef jerkey or a protein shake never hurt anybody .
    normally , i have my athletes do morning cardio , doesnt matter bulking or cutting . but ofcourse they're using anabolics , but still , even for a natural bber, a early morn use of ephedrine , caffine , yohimbine hcl , forskolin etc combo and a decent cardio after 30 mins wudnt hurt too much .
    but ofcourse a good ol' protein meal will only help speed up the metabolism like u said , but i dont like it becos of the chance of gluconeogenesis occuring .
    DEATH BEFORE DISHONOUR !

Omnia Mutantur, Nihil Interit.
    'Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.'

you must never confuse the faith that you will prevail in the end - with the discipline to confront the brutal facts of your current reality . whatever they might be - the stockdale paradox .

brian.curran has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Newbie help designing workout

I am new here. And also new to working out. I need some help developing a workout. I am not too sure what kind of exercises to do. I have diabetes and trouble with my knees.

I need to start owrking out to help with my diabetes. I would like to gain some size but not to sure of how to start.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Sorry if this is too basic of questions

Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Re: Newbie help designing workout

Originally posted by brian.curran
    I am new here. And also new to working out. I need some help developing a workout. I am not too sure what kind of exercises to do. I have diabetes and trouble with my knees.

I need to start owrking out to help with my diabetes. I would like to gain some size but not to sure of how to start.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Sorry if this is too basic of questions
    I suggest that you do a full body routine twice per week if you're new to working out just to pack on some core mass. Then in two months or so you should start a split. What do you think of this routine?

Monday
    Squats
    Leg Press
    Flat Bench(DB's or Barbell)
    Pullups
    Military Press
    Dumbell Shrugs
    Dips(body upright)
    Barbell Curls
    Crunches

Thursday
    Deadlifts(Do hyperextensions if you have a weak lower back)
    Hack Squats
    Calf Raises
    Incline Bench(DB's or Barbell)
    Bent Over Rows
    Wide Grip Upright Rows
    Skullcrushers(lying triceps ext.)
    Hammer Curls
    Leg Raises

Do two sets of 6-10 on each exercise.

For bodyweight exercises if you can do more than 10 reps then add weight for intensity.

Do abs twice a week. If you're bulking do cardio 1-2 times per week for 20 minutes at low intensity and if you're cutting do cardio 3-5 times per week at high intensity.

If you have more questions about the routine or your nutrition feel free to ask.

BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

Good job sychokid. Here is another place for exercise descriptions if you cant find an exercise at the other sites.

http://www.bsu.edu/webapps/strengthlab/home.htm
    "Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac." -Henry Kissinger

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster . . . for when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Friedrich Nietzsche

BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just wanted to add something to Sycho's great article myself...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...94#post1219894

Alot of different splits you can choose from, written by me and added to by others. If you have any questions about any of them feel free to ask me or the person who added theirs.

Cheers.

(Please bear in mind some splits are not complete yet - I'm trying to get it all done as soon as poss. Then I will go back and tweak the info and add some more details.)
    http://www.hardcorebodybuilding.net/hb-db/phpBB2/index.php - only place I post now!

www.fortifiediron.com
    www.homefitness101.com

The original good guys....

bignbuff/sychokid/psupower/coneytt/LostProphet

Thumbs up

Brit_beef, you beat me too it... I was just going to add a link to your article after I posted my full body split in there ...

soccer_stud_008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help me out

PLease help me out with my workout I need some help on how often to do things especially my biceps because they are what I want to grow the most
    Jason Hancock

Smile Re: Help me out

Originally posted by soccer_stud_008
    PLease help me out with my workout I need some help on how often to do things especially my biceps because they are what I want to grow the most
    Check your pm's ...

Powerhouse2003 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Its great,answered tons of questions!

Originally posted by Powerhouse2003
    Its great,answered tons of questions!
    Thanks.

Okay, update on my article. I reformatted a lot, fixed some gramatical errors, made things a bit clearer and more colorful , and add Brit_beef's split thread directly into there.

bob_alfisti has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

great job Sychokid...it's great to know that someone could spend the time for the benefit of everybody, especially the beginners.
    just to add my thoughts & experience...

for beginners only:
    reps - keep the reps 8-12 and forget about training to failure. most beginners wouldn't really know what muscle failure is.
    sets - 9-12 for big muscles and 6-9 for small muscles. (btw, legs do prefer larger volume)
    weight - keep adding small weight in the next workout. don't jump weights.

the above are KEY to beginners as their muscles and joints are not used to lifting weights... the volume would sort that out. after a few months of these, you may want to consider those low reps/heavy weights (6-repper), etc.
    thanks & happy days

alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

time between sets?

how much time should I rest for between sets?
    Someone told me I should pose(flex) the muscle I am training between sets. Is this any good? Does it increase muscle striations? Should i stretch between sets?
    While doing bench press i bring the weight to my lower chest but
    I saw in one of BRIT_BEEF's links that i should bring the bar down to my upper chest. Is this better?

alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

by the way Sychokid, i thought your article was amazing and so was BRIT_BEEFs article. very comprehensive.

Re: time between sets?

Originally posted by alpha
    Someone told me I should pose(flex) the muscle I am training between sets. Is this any good? Does it increase muscle striations? Should i stretch between sets?
    I saw in one of BRIT_BEEF's links that i should bring the bar down to my upper chest. Is this better?
    rest time:
    depending on how intense you go: it can be anywhere form 1-3 minutes.

posing between sets:
    i dont think this will do anything but tire out your muscles.

stretching between sets:
    thiks might be a good idea. I wouldnt reccomend doing it after every set. Might take away some weights form your lifts .

Bench press:
    by bringing it to your lower chest, you are bringing in your shoulders a bit more. I reccomend the middle/upper chest area.

Smile technique

thanx.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...enchPress.html

Is the guy in this clip using proper technique? I noticed that he is stiking out his chest so a part of his upper back is off the bench(which is what i also do).But i read somewhere that you shouldnt arc your back while doing benches.I'm CONFUSED.
    I use a thumbless- grip like i've seen power-lifters doing. Besides risking injury, is there any reason why i shouldnt do this?I feel a strain on my wrists when i wrap my thumbs around the bar from infront.

Re: technique

thanx.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...enchPress.html

Is the guy in this clip using proper technique? I noticed that he is stiking out his chest so a part of his upper back is off the bench(which is what i also do).But i read somewhere that you shouldnt arc your back while doing benches.I'm CONFUSED.
    I use a thumbless- grip like i've seen power-lifters doing. Besides risking injury, is there any reason why i shouldnt do this?I feel a strain on my wrists when i wrap my thumbs around the bar from infront.
    check your pms .

BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Re: technique

Originally posted by Sychokid
    check your pms .
    Yeah, you've got a PM from me too buddy.
    http://www.hardcorebodybuilding.net/hb-db/phpBB2/index.php - only place I post now!

www.fortifiediron.com
    www.homefitness101.com

The original good guys....

bignbuff/sychokid/psupower/coneytt/LostProphet

Re: Re: Re: technique

Originally posted by BRIT_BEEF
    Yeah, you've got a PM from me too buddy.
    wow, my article at the hardcore sight has 5 replies already . Are you allowed to make it a sticky?

PSUPOWER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: time between sets?

Listen bro, you ARE THE JUDGE OF YOUR OWN BODY, it's all about trail and error!!!!! If it feels right, stick w/ it, if not, try another position..

I swear, some people on this board ask the most vague questions..

Greg_SD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Greg_SD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Greg_SD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Greg_SD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Greg_SD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Greg_SD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Greg_SD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Greg_SD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Greg_SD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Greg_SD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Greg_SD has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It depends on what your goal is. I believe power lifters (I’m not one) want their muscles to fully recover between sets, meaning their muscles’ ATP recovers, which takes 3+ min if I remember right. If you want to increase the intensity of your workout you want to lower rests in-between sets.

One method to determine rest times for intense workouts:
    After a set your heart rate will be elevated (possibly racing). After about 30-120 seconds your heart rate will level off. It will still be elevated, but not racing. The time it takes for your heart rate to return to normal will depend on the intensity of your last set, the muscles worked, and the exercise used. You will need to establish a rest time for each exercise. The second your heart rate stabilizes do another set.

Between sets you should rest, not flex. Flexing would make it like a super set. A little stretching is ok but try to do it after your warm-up sets not in-between your work set(s). Stretching is not really “resting” either and can affect your “working set(s)”.

GAIN MUSCLE AND LOSE FAT

When we all start out lifting, we have this lucky gift of being able to lose fat yet get muscle at the same time. Over time, this completely goes away. I notice a lot of posts are “oh my goals are to lose the old gut while getting my chest bigger...”. This isn’t going to happen unless you are a beginner (a.k.a newbie) or on steroids. Think about it. How can you gain muscle on a calorie deficit and/or lose fat on a calorie surplus? Once you feel you gotten to the point where you can no longer do the above, then you have a choice of doing a cutting or bulking phase.
    It’s possible to get enough calories to gain muscle and continue to lower BF, IMO. I guess the key word would be enough. With intense workouts, cardio, and careful macronutrient combinations and regulation you should be able to support muscle gain while continuing to burn fat stores. Thermogenics would help also. Most people eat too many carbs, especially simple carbs. Some people say, “calories are calories are calories” but I disagree. I think it’s over simplified. There is a lot more to it than simply being in a calorie surplus or calorie deficit.

Over all, I think it’s a real good article.
    It's better to be cynical than naive.

ladoook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great info, just trying to start out, and I need all the information I can get, thanks

Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'll add in another common question I see.

How do I work my inner chest?

The truth is that you can't. There is no inner chest. Fly's will not do this. You must work your chest as a whole and eventually it will all grow. So, if you're only doing flys for this reason, then find a different exercise.

Fanatikk is just really nice. (+1000) Fanatikk is just really nice. (+1000) Fanatikk is just really nice. (+1000) Fanatikk is just really nice. (+1000) Fanatikk is just really nice. (+1000) Fanatikk is just really nice. (+1000) Fanatikk is just really nice. (+1000) Fanatikk is just really nice. (+1000) Fanatikk is just really nice. (+1000) Fanatikk is just really nice. (+1000) Fanatikk is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey biggie...i've also heard you can do flies to help your "outer" chest. I think Arnold use to preach this. But like you said you either work the whole thing or nothing. Well, maybe the exception of upper chest and lower chest...which I believe you can do certain exersizes to emphasize one over the other.

Originally posted by Fanatikk
    Hey biggie...i've also heard you can do flies to help your "outer" chest. I think Arnold use to preach this. But like you said you either work the whole thing or nothing. Well, maybe the exception of upper chest and lower chest...which I believe you can do certain exersizes to emphasize one over the other.
    Yes, you can work upper and lower with inclines and declines. But there is no inner and outer chest.

Don't listen to anything Arnold says on chest routines, I think the routine he preaches in his book has 25 sets or something.

TeenHulk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy I NEED HELP!!!

I swim competitivly and want to know If I should bodybuild. Can I Still take protien shakes? Should I lift light , moderate, or heavy? I need a good workout plan and meal plan for a good diet for swimming.
    J. Hulk