the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

WEEK SIXTY-SEVEN :: What Is The Most Complete Ab Workout?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Note: How can I win? Answer all questions in the order that they are asked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC: What Is The Most Complete Ab Workout?

For the week of: 1/08 - 1/14
    Sunday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone dreams of having that much sought after six-pack, while some would just be happy to get a flatter stomach with more strength. Now we know that diet plays a bigger role here than most areas but today we want to focus on what workout program would give you the most bang for your buck.

What is the most complete ab workout? Be specific. List Exercises, reps, sets, frequency, etc.

What exercises are the most effective in building great abs? Be specific and describe what & why you chose them.

What ab exercises would you consider ineffective? Be specific and describe what & why you chose them.

How successful have you been in getting your abs stronger and flatter? Can training alone get you better abs?

Bonus Question: Who has the most complete abdominal development in the IFBB today?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

----------------------------------
    NEW PRIZE MONEY!!!!!

The best response will get $75 in credit, and second place will get $50 in credit to use in our online store and will have their workout posted on our main site for the world to see!

NEW RULE!!!!!

* New Rule: Any exercise not listed on our exercise listing (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm) must be accompanied by a full and complete description and pictures (or a link to the exercise(s) where pictures and description are given).

Thanks,
    Bodybuilding.com
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

MetalMikeXVI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MetalMikeXVI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MetalMikeXVI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MetalMikeXVI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MetalMikeXVI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MetalMikeXVI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MetalMikeXVI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MetalMikeXVI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MetalMikeXVI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Squats.

intentOn1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool The Basic Principles

The abs are by far the most complicated area for me to work. So, I have done a lot of research into improving my own.

Basic Principle 1: Bulking up.

This is the first principle for a reason. Even if you do lose enough bodyfat to show your abs, if they are not very big, then they won't be much to look at. Yeah pretty simple.

A good ab bulking program must focus on nutrition and pure bulking workouts. Nutrition is the hardest part. When bulking you have to eat clean. Very low fat, high protein foods are best. Also, slow time released enery foods like oatmeal and sweetpotatoes keep your body from using the protein for the everyday energy it needs. This frees up the protein to do what protein does best: build muscle. Your goal should be to intake about 40% protein, 40% Carbs, and only about 20% fat each day.

A good ab bulking workout should consist of weighted crunches, hanging leg lifts, and weighted leg overs. There are many articles out there about which exercises you should do, but just keep it simple and make sure each exercise focuses on specific ab muscles. The rule of the thumb is 3 sets of at least 10-15 reps each. Make them burn!

Basic Principle 2: Cutting down

After you have succesfully built up the size of your abs now is the time to switch over to a program designed specifically to lower your bodyfat. The only way that you will ever be able to see your massive abs is if you have a low enough bodyfat percentage. Again, a very simple concept.

A good ab cutting program must focus on diet and cardio exercises. You now must lower your daily calorie intake to be below the amount of calories you burn per day. Make sure though, that you keep the protein intake high and the fat intake low. Focus on doing exercises that keep your heart pumping for long periods of time. Running, Tae-Bo, Karate, etc... are all good options. Each exercise that you do should last for at least 30min.

Conclusion:
    Bulk Up then Cut Down... Elementary my dear Watson!

Now that I have outlined the basic principles, I will give an example of a workout and diet that I think will give you the best results.

In my opinion...

Routine: You should work your abs Monday/Wednesday/Friday (Any starting day will work but always allow one day rest between workouts!).

Warm up: Very Important! Your warm up should consist of 1 set of Weighted Leg Crossovers (lay on your back with arms out like a cross, lift one leg straight up then swing leg over the other leg and touch the floor) 20-25 reps each leg.

Bulking workout:

#1 Hanging Leg Raises: 3 sets to failure. Make them burn!

2 min. rest

#2 Basic Crunch: 3 sets of 8-10 reps. Hear them scream!

2 min. rest

#3 Decline Crunch: 3 sets of 8-10 reps. Make them suffer!

2 min. rest

#4 Lying Leg Raises: 3 sets of 6-8 reps. Just kill them!

Stretch!

Cutting workout: Everyday!

#1 Jog for 30 min. Rocky!

or

#2 Do Tae-Bo for 30 min. Punch the Fat Away!

or

#3 Take a 30 min. Karate class or martial art. Self-Defence plus Workout!

or

#4 Bike for 30 min. Lance Armstrong!

or

#5 Go row a boat for 30 min. Um... Vikings!

Bulking Diet and Cutting Diet:

Meal 1. 1 cup of oatmeal, 1 apple, 4 egg whites, and 1 whole egg.

Meal 2. 1 7oz. Chicken Breast, 1/2 cup oatmeal.

Meal 3. 1 scoop of protein powder with water.

Meal 4. 6oz. tuna, 2 slices of wheat bread.

Meal 5. 1 scoop of protein powder with water.

Meal 6. Lean meat of your choice. 7oz., 1 cup of green leaf veg.

Meal 7. 1 cup of oatmeal, 1 scoop of protein powder with water.

The key to this diet is to stick to it! It really works! Now, the difference between the bulking and cutting part of this is the amount of calories you take in each day. For bulking: Eat 800 more calories a day than you would normally burn. For cutting: Eat 800 fewer calories than you would burn in a normal day.

Final word:

I am very convinced that this program will give results if strictly adhered to! Enjoy your new found washboard abs!

intentOn1
    Last edited by intentOn1; 01-12-2007 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Not done with it yet.
    A chance to change the world...

mjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Ab workout.

Okay, so many might look at this and think 'this guys just a kid'.
    I train 10 times a week for sprint canoe racing and a strong core is essential for the sport and all the training. But i have a fairly decent 8 pack going, and im not even training for abs! our program works well do overall develop high strength, high endurance, high cardio workouts. This is my advice for anyone trying to get a SOLID core, not neccesarly the rock hard 6 pack, this wont be very specific but it is general enough for you to have some fun with it and customize the workout.

Day 1-
    Swim - 2000m - 2500m total. Break it up into some 100% / 80% sets. swimming is great for stretching out your core muscles and toning them to lean muscles. Arnold always put emphasis on swimming to get great smooth muscles.

Day 2 - Run - 8km - 12km at 85% - 100%. at the end of this run do an ab circuit of 20 - 30 min with NO REST. switch exercises every 1min to isolate muscle sections (ie. leg ups for lower abs, side bridge for obliques, crunches for mid ab region). make sure you push it through the 30 second burn in your muscles. Its good to repeat exercises eventually throughout the workout.

Day 3 - Swim - make sure this swim is just a long steady workout to stretch and relax, everything at 80%. 2500m - 3000m
    - Afternoon- Weights- 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps. Try to incorperate exercises which add an ab factor. We have developed good exercises using the lat pull down machine. use a robe insted of the bar, swing the seat out of the way. kneel facing the machine on both knees, hold rope ob top of head with weights on the machine. go down into a cruch-like position, hold and flex abs, this is great, make sure you use high reps to get the burn and muscle tear for the next days soreness.

Day 4 - steady run and some feel-good abs afterwards. Just do this to have a somewhat of a rest day while still working those abs. Work hard still, your abs will last.

Day 5 - Swim - repeat 1st swims style with shorter pieces at a higher intensity.
    -afternoon- Repeat ab workout and then hop on the tredmill as a cool down workout

Day 6 - Rest day, enjoy yourself!

Day 7 - do a nice hour long ab workout as 2 x 1min exercises on back to back, then 1 minute of rest. This is longer because your next week is coming up and you want to be rested and refreshed for it.

* this is just what we do, our program include more workouts with heavy weights and running but these are our style of practices for our cores. take what you wish from them. I hope it helps somewhat.

-mark james
    dartmouth, nova scotia

GiantDave has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GiantDave has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GiantDave has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GiantDave has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GiantDave has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GiantDave has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GiantDave has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GiantDave has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GiantDave has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GiantDave has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GiantDave has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Talking my go

here is the workout: but do each exercise in order 10 reps 5 sets (50 reps in total) to be done Monday,Wednesday,friday,sunday
    exercise #1 The Bicycle exercise:
    1. Lie face up on the floor and lace your fingers behind your head.
    2. Bring the knees in towards the chest and lift the shoulder blades off the ground without pulling on the neck.
    3. Straight the left leg out to about a 45-degree angle while simultaneously turning the upper body to the right, bringing the left elbow towards the right knee.
    4. Switch sides, bringing the right elbow towards the left knee.
    5. Continue alternating sides tell you have done 10 reps
    exercise #2 Extended Sit-ups
    1.ly off the floor on a bed or something (preferably something harder than a bed like a table)
    2. with your waist nearly on the edge of the surface start sit-ups
    3.making sure that your bending your lower than the bed so that its like sit-ups but more extension
    exercise #3 Hanging pike
    1.hold a chin-up bar and lift yourself up
    2.then slowly lift your legs up so that you toes nearly touch the bar
    exercise #4 Hanging windshield wiper
    1.hold a chin-up bar or something and hold yourself
    2.lift your knees up to your chest (but away from you chest)
    3. move your knees from side to side (like a windsheild wiper)

tuesday, thursdays and saturdays run for 45 mins preferably outside up hills etc

i think the hanging pike and winsheild wiper are the best because it requires more core strenght to hold your selve then moving your legs you can really full it pulling on your abs

i dont think sit-ups are that effective because many people see them and thing ill do these and have a six-pack which is wrong because many pople perform the simple exercise wrong they hold there head with elbows forward so when lifting stomach they use there elbows to pull themselves up which in effect ruduces the effectiveness of the exercise

i have done this routine for 2 weeks now and didnt have a 6-pack atall now my stomach is flater and has a outline of the 6-pack within a mnth a plan to have a full well defined six-pack. also when i first started the hanging pike and winsheild wiper i could hold onto the bar that long cause it pulled on my stomach to much now that has stopped and im starting to increase reps because of the fact my core is getting stronger.

Xtrainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xtrainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Here's my submission
    Attached Files

Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Thumbs up

^^^ Good article. I hope to be submitting mine later tonight if I have time.

imchill123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) imchill123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) imchill123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) imchill123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) imchill123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) imchill123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) imchill123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) imchill123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) imchill123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) imchill123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) imchill123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Heres mine
    Attached Files
    I eat for purpose, not pleasure

Xtrainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xtrainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Liquid_diet View Post
    ^^^ Good article. I hope to be submitting mine later tonight if I have time.
    Thanks. So it isn't too late? I thought midnight Sunday (as in early Sunday morning) was the latest possible?
    Last edited by Xtrainer; 01-14-2007 at 04:54 PM. Reason: grammar

Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Nope, it's tonight before midnight. You usually see a few good entries within the last hour or so before closing.

RC26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Good luck!
    Last edited by RC26; 08-12-2007 at 05:14 PM.

GL everyone...
    Attached Files

GiantDave has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GiantDave has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GiantDave has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GiantDave has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GiantDave has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GiantDave has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GiantDave has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GiantDave has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GiantDave has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GiantDave has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GiantDave has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    so entries are closed now ? yes ?

yes

wher does it say who won ?

just first time ive entered so dont know i know i didnt win just wanna know the winnin article

Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by GiantDave View Post
    wher does it say who won ?

just first time ive entered so dont know i know i didnt win just wanna know the winnin article
    It usually takes 1-2 weeks after they are submitted.
    They are a bit backed up right now, after the holidays.

Go to bb.com > supersite > writer listing > view all writers > TOTW or WOTW

ok thx :P

anonymous
    Decline crunches - 3x10 sets with weight, 4th as burnout
    Legraises - 3x10 sets with weight, 4th as burnout

That's it, keeping it simple makes it easier to keep the focus and gets the best results!

If you work on other muscles that day, train your abs last. I do special ab days between other muscle group trainings, e.g.

monday chest, shoulders
    tuesday abs
    wednesday back, arms, legs
    thursday abs
    friday chest shoulders
    saturdau abs
    sunday back, arms, legs

And whenever I don't feel like my muscles have recovered and are ready for another workout, I just skip the day... or two... or three... cuz keeping your body happy is what it's all about!

anonymous
    eh lol, that's what happens when posting advice at 2AM, didn't even notice the competition and prize part, just looked at the thread subject.