46and2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 46and2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 46and2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 46and2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 46and2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 46and2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 46and2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 46and2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 46and2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 46and2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 46and2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bulking with bodyweight routine?

I'm curious about what the forum has to say about bodyweight routines. I think most people agree that bodyweight exercises can be very beneficial. Some of them use resistance band, bodyweight, and weighted bodyweight (i.e. pull-ups with a weight vest) exercises. Do you think it is possible to gain much weight on a routine like that? Just recently, I have been doing a full-body bodyweight and resistance band routine, and it is quite challenging. I'm just not sure if it can pack on the 20 lean pounds I want, even if I add a 40 pound weighted vest in the mix. So what do you think? I know that bulking can be done using traditional weights. I have no particular aversion to free weights, I just really enjoy the changes and challenges that bodyweight exercises present.
    Last edited by 46and2; 01-08-2007 at 04:08 PM.

redv8jeep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redv8jeep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redv8jeep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redv8jeep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redv8jeep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redv8jeep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redv8jeep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redv8jeep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redv8jeep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redv8jeep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redv8jeep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    dude iif youre eating above maintenence you will gain regardless. and bodywieght lifters are usually ripped, so add the 2 and i think youll be happy with the results!

gymrat69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have been doing a bodyweight routine for around 8 months now, and really like my results. I think there are way more benefits to bodyweight exercises than anyone gives them credit. I have done alot of research on time under tension, and have found that most of my lifts are within the time adequate for muscular hypertrophy. I feel the overall muscle recruitment with the closed chained exercises typical of a bw program, rather than free weight open chained. There is a great freedom of not counting reps if you are a beleiver of time under tension. Plus large weights are bad on compressing joints, the stress causes higher cortisol levels. I just hate that most people associate calisthenics as an endurance builder and not a mass builder. But then again most people that do calisthenics are mostly concerned about the number of reps they can do. TUT for hypertrophic gains lies between 40 and 70 seconds of continuous tension, not 100 pushups in a ballistic type fashion.

jumpman023 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jumpman023 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jumpman023 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jumpman023 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jumpman023 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jumpman023 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jumpman023 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jumpman023 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jumpman023 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jumpman023 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jumpman023 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by gymrat69 View Post
    I have been doing a bodyweight routine for around 8 months now, and really like my results. I think there are way more benefits to bodyweight exercises than anyone gives them credit. I have done alot of research on time under tension, and have found that most of my lifts are within the time adequate for muscular hypertrophy. I feel the overall muscle recruitment with the closed chained exercises typical of a bw program, rather than free weight open chained. There is a great freedom of not counting reps if you are a beleiver of time under tension. Plus large weights are bad on compressing joints, the stress causes higher cortisol levels. I just hate that most people associate calisthenics as an endurance builder and not a mass builder. But then again most people that do calisthenics are mostly concerned about the number of reps they can do. TUT for hypertrophic gains lies between 40 and 70 seconds of continuous tension, not 100 pushups in a ballistic type fashion.
    By TUT, do you just mean do pullups, pushups etc slowly so that each rep takes a long time as opposed to just blasting out X amount of reps in Y amount of time? Also, you've found that having reps that take 40-70 seconds per rep to be most beneficial?

Not criticizing, just trying to see if I understood what you said, because I'm interested in bw stuff as well, and if I pursue it, I want to do it right.

chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

this post

is three years old. Just saying

jumpman023 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jumpman023 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jumpman023 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jumpman023 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jumpman023 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jumpman023 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jumpman023 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jumpman023 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jumpman023 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jumpman023 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jumpman023 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by chrisboudreaux View Post
    is three years old. Just saying
    oh wow, wtf? Who bumped this thread for no reason then?

PlutotrineSun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by gymrat69 View Post
    HI there, I would like to learn more about achieving some mass with bodyweight only exercises.. im 39 and joined a gym two months ago, started lifting weights..have become very concerned about disc compression when squating with heavy weights and also dont want to chance any permanent injuries..is time under tension only going to result in sarcoplasmic growth? or myofybril as well? i havent been able to find the answer to this.. im more concerned with recruiting and developing as much fast twitch fiber as possible but not purely for hypertrophy.. i was going to start a compound lift/push/ pull weight routine for strength and a tiny bit of hypertrophy.. as i was having a lot of trouble coming up with an effective routine for this using only bodyweight... i can do full range squats slow up slow down for few sets for many reps..but this wont recruit fast twitch, its endurance only..chin ups , i can do about 20 at a time..but FULL range , explosive up then HOLD for 3 seconds, then slow down.. for five sets of five fatigues me.. will this build myofyrbil strength or will this just blast the sarcoplasm in the muscle tissue..id rather not develop big muscle sacs of fluid .