Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)

What's the correct way to measure waist size?

Is "sucking in" acceptable, or is it cheating? On men, where should the waist be measured, at pants level, or around the belly button?

thx,

Dan
    My tribe: www.Rich20Something.com/join

coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    measured around the belly button, not sucked in, just relaxed, normal.
    PL: 400/280/475

Registered User thaibodybuilder's Avatar
    thaibodybuilder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thaibodybuilder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thaibodybuilder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thaibodybuilder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thaibodybuilder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thaibodybuilder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thaibodybuilder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thaibodybuilder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thaibodybuilder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thaibodybuilder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thaibodybuilder is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    so...put on any inches since the holidays? lol
    "You are born small and weak, and you die small and weak. How you look inbetween is up to you."

SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by squarebx View Post
    so...put on any inches since the holidays? lol
    lol mayyyyybe!

Ivan25 is just really nice. (+1000) Ivan25 is just really nice. (+1000) Ivan25 is just really nice. (+1000) Ivan25 is just really nice. (+1000) Ivan25 is just really nice. (+1000) Ivan25 is just really nice. (+1000) Ivan25 is just really nice. (+1000) Ivan25 is just really nice. (+1000) Ivan25 is just really nice. (+1000) Ivan25 is just really nice. (+1000) Ivan25 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey fellas... The waist is not around the belly buttom... That is the ab measurement... Waist is the narrowest part between the belly buttom and the sternum.... A good gauge is to measure both ways.... Relaxed and sucking in... If relaxed measurement increases, so will vacuum measurement... The increase in relaxed pose is from body fat accumulation... The increase in vacuum pose is from body fat accumulation AND deconditioning of the transversis abdominis.... This is why I constantly track my waist while training for size... It will increase a little, but it should not blow up... Plus I continually train my abs off-season to maintain function and form...
    "Let the past go, so you can grow"

"To be so prepared and conditioned that even on my worst day, I'm still going to win"

"Muscle quality looks more impressive than muscle quantity"

Originally Posted by Ivan25 View Post
    Hey fellas... The waist is not around the belly buttom... That is the ab measurement... Waist is the narrowest part between the belly buttom and the sternum.... A good gauge is to measure both ways.... Relaxed and sucking in... If relaxed measurement increases, so will vacuum measurement... The increase in relaxed pose is from body fat accumulation... The increase in vacuum pose is from body fat accumulation AND deconditioning of the transversis abdominis.... This is why I constantly track my waist while training for size... It will increase a little, but it should not blow up... Plus I continually train my abs off-season to maintain function and form...
    So if I say "I have an "x" inch waist, that's referring to the measurement between the belly button and the sternum? I always thought waist was simmilar to pants size. If you wear a 32, you have about a 32' waist.

lionelxxl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lionelxxl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lionelxxl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lionelxxl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lionelxxl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lionelxxl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lionelxxl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lionelxxl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lionelxxl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lionelxxl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lionelxxl has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

interesting..

I've always measure just below my belly button.. where i get the widest measurement.

Either way, the key is to measure the same exact spot, wither sucked in or relax EVERY SINGLE TIME to get an accurate reading and to chart your progress.
    There are always two choices. Two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy - Anonymous

Kerry77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kerry77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kerry77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kerry77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kerry77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kerry77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kerry77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kerry77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kerry77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kerry77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kerry77 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SleepLifter View Post
    So if I say "I have an "x" inch waist, that's referring to the measurement between the belly button and the sternum? I always thought waist was simmilar to pants size. If you wear a 32, you have about a 32' waist.
    That's what I thought as well
    Stats as of 01/06/07

Weight: 175lbs
    BF%: No clue
    Deadlift: 425lbs x 1 rep (03/14/08)
    Flat DBell Press: 130lbs 4-5 rep max (08/03/06)
    Bench: 285 lbs x 5 reps
    Squat: 285 lbs x 5 reps
    Standing Shoulder Press: 170 x 1 rep (03/14/08)
    Barbell Row: 180lbs x 5 reps
    1.5 RM @ 325lbs (06/28/07)

Current Sup's

NOS Ether
    Diesel Test Pro Cycle (soon)
    JP8
    Centrum Multi
    Fish Oil
    Glucosamine Chondroitin

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That's not going to help if you accumulate fat around the lower abs/lovehandles
    I don't know either lol

Ivan25 is just really nice. (+1000) Ivan25 is just really nice. (+1000) Ivan25 is just really nice. (+1000) Ivan25 is just really nice. (+1000) Ivan25 is just really nice. (+1000) Ivan25 is just really nice. (+1000) Ivan25 is just really nice. (+1000) Ivan25 is just really nice. (+1000) Ivan25 is just really nice. (+1000) Ivan25 is just really nice. (+1000) Ivan25 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sure it is... First of all, you all need to argue with the surmountable stack of research and literature supporting the "Waist" measurement... Secondly, You could measure different segments of waist, just so long as you standardize the site and keep it same everytime.. Nuff said little kids...
    "Let the past go, so you can grow"

"To be so prepared and conditioned that even on my worst day, I'm still going to win"

"Muscle quality looks more impressive than muscle quantity"

jjenjjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjenjjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjenjjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjenjjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjenjjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjenjjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjenjjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjenjjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjenjjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjenjjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjenjjen is on a distinguished road. (+10)

hi

I always measured myself around the waist at the smallest part under my rib cage - where it goes in the most. But the guy I was training with was being really horrible to me and saying 'NO!' that's not the waist - the waist is where the belly button is. Well I think for men that might be the case - but for women the belly button sits a lot lower from the smallest part of the waist... perhaps a couple of inches down.

After that he said my waist increased by a cm. I think he's wrong. Do you?

Anyway my question: where do you measure a man's waist and where to you measure a woman's waist?

(my answer: a man is measured at the belly button point, a woman is measured at the smallest point under the rib cage.)

Let me know your thoughts thanks

imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000)

Cool

Sure it is... First of all, you all need to argue with the surmountable stack of research and literature supporting the "Waist" measurement... Secondly, You could measure different segments of waist, just so long as you standardize the site and keep it same everytime.. Nuff said little kids...
    Stop calling people "students" and "little kids". Seriously, you're not superior to anyone on this site.
    Food quality does not change the laws of thermodynamics. Provided you consume adequate protein, EFAs, fiber, and vitamins and minerals you can eat whatever you want.

The only difference between a 'clean' and a 'dirty' food is how much of it you eat.

The Glycemic Index is meaningless unless you eat carbs alone in a fasted state. As soon as you add fat, protein, or fiber to a meal or have eaten in the previous 4-6 hours the GI is irrelevant.

Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Kerry77 View Post
    That's what I thought as well
    Nahh, I wear a 32 in pants during offseason, but my waist got up to 34, and I was still wearing the same pant size. You are suppose to measure about 1 inch above the belly button to get an appropriate measurement. This goes along with people who have measured my waist for a tuxedo in the past, and last year the lady asked how big my waist was, and I told her 30 inch ATM and she said did Im easure 1 inch above belly button, for accuracy.
    Team Norton

The Strength Guys

It's time to bring V2.0

Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000)
    Pants sizes are much smaller than the Inch counterpart. People that think they have a 34 or 36 inch waist because they wear the respective pant size are in for a rude awakening. Usually you will fit into pants that are 3-4 size smaller than your actual waist measurement. My 34's are falling off and I am fitting into 32's fine with a 35.7" waist right now. When I had a 48" waist I wore a size 42.
    Instagram - @gourmetpaul

Powerbuilding Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172129013

Offering full contest prep, body transformation, and nutritional coaching. PM for inquiries.

imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Blazed View Post
    Pants sizes are much smaller than the Inch counterpart. People that think they have a 34 or 36 inch waist because they wear the respective pant size are in for a rude awakening. Usually you will fit into pants that are 3-4 size smaller than your actual waist measurement. My 34's are falling off and I am fitting into 32's fine with a 35.7" waist right now. When I had a 48" waist I wore a size 42.
    I'm the opposite. I have a 28-30 inch waist and wear 32" jeans. It's weird.
    Food quality does not change the laws of thermodynamics. Provided you consume adequate protein, EFAs, fiber, and vitamins and minerals you can eat whatever you want.

The only difference between a 'clean' and a 'dirty' food is how much of it you eat.

The Glycemic Index is meaningless unless you eat carbs alone in a fasted state. As soon as you add fat, protein, or fiber to a meal or have eaten in the previous 4-6 hours the GI is irrelevant.

Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't know how that's possible lol. I have found pants sizes, at least in the US to be marked as much smaller than the actual circumference of the waist. Maybe you live overseas? I just measured 8 pairs of pants and all of them were 2-4" larger than the size (^_^)

Its actually been proven that womans clothes have gotten bigger and the sizes have been refit so to speak as our country got fatter. A size 2 these days, used to be a size 8-10 just 20-30 years ago. I think the same thing has happened with mens pants.
    Instagram - @gourmetpaul

Powerbuilding Log

Offering full contest prep, body transformation, and nutritional coaching. PM for inquiries.

Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I don't know how that's possible lol. I have found pants sizes, at least in the US to be marked as much smaller than the actual circumference of the waist. Maybe you live overseas? I just measured 8 pairs of pants and all of them were 2-4" larger than the size (^_^)

Its actually been proven that womans clothes have gotten bigger and the sizes have been refit so to speak as our country got fatter. A size 2 these days, used to be a size 8-10 just 20-30 years ago. I think the same thing has happened with mens pants.
    Its possible as a guys HIPS can be bigger than his waist, which what the label should read anyways 32 inch HIP
    Team Norton

The Strength Guys

It's time to bring V2.0

Originally Posted by Frankdaddy View Post
    Its possible as a guys HIPS can be bigger than his waist, which what the label should read anyways 32 inch HIP
    That makes even LESS sense bro. I have 39 Inch hips and wear 32/34. I am pretty sure if you look at someone rocking size 38 jeans that are actually fitting them they will have A) a waist larger than 38" B) Hips even larger than their waist. No man wearing size 34 jeans has 34" hips lol.
    Instagram - @gourmetpaul

Powerbuilding Log

I don't think the label reads hip or waist. Just a size, and most people assume that is their waist size. Maybe if our pants were sized by actual " then people would realize how ridiculously obese they have become.
    Instagram - @gourmetpaul

Powerbuilding Log

I don't think the label reads hip or waist. Just a size, and most people assume that is their waist size. Maybe if our pants were sized by actual " then people would realize how ridiculously obese they have become.
    Yes I know I didnt make sense, but lets go with what you have here haha. Either way I say measure 1 inch above belly button.
    Team Norton

The Strength Guys

It's time to bring V2.0

jjenjjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjenjjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjenjjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjenjjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjenjjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjenjjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjenjjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjenjjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjenjjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjenjjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjenjjen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I always measured myself around the waist at the smallest part under my rib cage - where it goes in the most. But the guy I was training with was being really horrible to me and saying 'NO!' that's not the waist - the waist is where the belly button is. Well I think for men that might be the case - but for women the belly button sits a lot lower from the smallest part of the waist... perhaps a couple of inches down.

Anyway my question: where do you measure a man's waist and where to you measure a woman's waist?

(my answer: a man is measured at the belly button point, a woman is measured at the smallest point under the rib cage.)

CAN SOMEONE ANSWER MY POST PLEASE

CAN SOMEONE ANSWER MY POST PLEASE?

Registered User Jack_the_Repper's Avatar
    Jack_the_Repper is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack_the_Repper is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack_the_Repper is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack_the_Repper is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack_the_Repper is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack_the_Repper is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack_the_Repper is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack_the_Repper is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack_the_Repper is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack_the_Repper is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack_the_Repper is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The increase in relaxed pose is from body fat accumulation... The increase in vacuum pose is from body fat accumulation AND deconditioning of the transversis abdominis.... This is why I constantly track my waist while training for size... It will increase a little, but it should not blow up... Plus I continually train my abs off-season to maintain function and form...

*Transverse Abdominis, no such thing as transversis abdominis.
    -----WORK HARD, PLAY HARDER-----
    ACE Certified Personal Trainer
    BS Exercise Science
    Nutrition Minor

Angry Answer Meeeee Someonee

CAN SOMEONE ANSWER MY POST PLEASE

CAN SOMEONE ANSWER MY POST PLEASE?

Answer Meeeee! :'(

Where Do You Measure A Man's Waist And Where Do You Measure A Woman's Waist?!

gunstaylor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

womens waist size

Originally Posted by jjenjjen View Post
    Answer Meeeee! :'(

Where Do You Measure A Man's Waist And Where Do You Measure A Woman's Waist?!
    hi jen, im not sure why no one replied to ur post for over a year. and i figure ul never see ths cuz u gave up trying to get a reply and found out somewhere else. but if u do see this, id like to confirm that ur waist size is measured at the naturally narrowest section of ur torso. don't worry about what anyone else says.

josh

Stray_Gray has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stray_Gray has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stray_Gray has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stray_Gray has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think there's a difference between pants size and waist size (measured on the belly button level). At that level, my waist measures 37 inches, but I wear 34 inch pants with the belt at max notches and they're loose. Heck, if I don't have a belt, I can put them on and take them off when they're buttoned.
    I still don't have what it takes. I must train harder.

tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by SleepLifter View Post
    you can fit a 34.5 inch waist into 32 inch pants.. i know.. i've done it
    Instagram: thomas_poucher

yes i've tried doing incline first

reps on recharge.. demonwareltd, flang, TTimmerman, wala, Canuck77

jw23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    have you all come to a conclusion on how to correctly measure the waist? Or perhaps, can anyone post a link of a "how-to-video" (either their own video or someone else's)?

TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've always thought...

Men: over navel
    Women: Smallest point (Usually above belly button/under ribs)

But again aslong as u keep measuring it the same way as before, thats wat matters when keeping track of progress.

ALSO, I wear size 30" pants and my waist is 30" over navel.

But I find it common to have my pants tight on my thighs and lose around the waist