Thread: Empty Stomach

the Shockmaster!!! IamCANADIANeh?'s Avatar
    IamCANADIANeh? is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamCANADIANeh? is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamCANADIANeh? is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamCANADIANeh? is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamCANADIANeh? is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamCANADIANeh? is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamCANADIANeh? is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamCANADIANeh? is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamCANADIANeh? is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamCANADIANeh? is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamCANADIANeh? is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Empty Stomach

How long after you eat till your stomach is "empty"? The reason I ask is alot of supps (mostly NO and fat burners) say to take on an empty stomach.

I personally eat about 2 hours before going to the gym to lift so if I take NO 30mins pre-workout like the label says that's only an hour and a half. Doesn't seem like enough to me.

As far as the latter goes. If you eat every 3 hours or so how/when is your stomach empty to take them? I can see when you wake up before breakfast, after all you had 8 hours or so with no food. But for the second (and sometimes 3rd serving...)?
    Good, better, best, never let it rest. Till your good be better, and your better best!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1001705

Start:01/09/07
    320lbs 30.86%bf

02/01/07:
    03/01/07:
    04/01/07:
    05/01/07:
    05/28/07:

Goal:28/05/07
    269lbs 25% bf

uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Average gastric emptying time for solid foods is usually considered to be approximately 60 to 105 minutes depending on person, sex, age, etc. This is JUST gastric emptying, so transit from stomach to intestine.
    My place in here at bb.com is as a fitness enthusiast and recommendations do not represent medical advice. Please consult your examining physician for all medical concerns.

I'm not a "rep," and most "reps":
    1) are no more credentialed than you. 2) have no input and no understanding of their product formulations. 3) are merely paid in free product from the company they represent.

http://www.drivensports.co.uk/
    http://www.getds.com/

DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Wink

Originally Posted by uhockey View Post
    Average gastric emptying time for solid foods is usually considered to be approximately 60 to 105 minutes depending on person, sex, age, etc. This is JUST gastric emptying, so transit from stomach to intestine.

and it depends heavily on what has been eaten;-)

a double portion of meat loaf with rostpotatoes and a fancy cake will surely take some time to pass the stomach ;-)

uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Dr.P View Post
    and it depends heavily on what has been eaten;-)

a double portion of meat loaf with rostpotatoes and a fancy cake will surely take some time to pass the stomach ;-)
    That goes under Etc.

Basically, if you're intent on a number, call it 2 hours. Add more if you just took on a whole Papa John's Pizza.
    My place in here at bb.com is as a fitness enthusiast and recommendations do not represent medical advice. Please consult your examining physician for all medical concerns.

1) are no more credentialed than you. 2) have no input and no understanding of their product formulations. 3) are merely paid in free product from the company they represent.

the Shockmaster!!! IamCANADIANeh?'s Avatar
    IamCANADIANeh? is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamCANADIANeh? is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamCANADIANeh? is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamCANADIANeh? is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamCANADIANeh? is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamCANADIANeh? is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamCANADIANeh? is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamCANADIANeh? is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamCANADIANeh? is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamCANADIANeh? is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamCANADIANeh? is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    No No. I said eating before I go to the gym and lift. Not eating on a cheat day. Usually consists of the usual... grilled chicken, veggies, pasta/rice/carbs...

1) Damn you now I want that exact meal.

2) We don't have Poppa Johns here

BTW: Thanx for the quick and helpful reply guys. (Uhockey)
    Good, better, best, never let it rest. Till your good be better, and your better best!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1001705

Start:01/09/07
    320lbs 30.86%bf

02/01/07:
    03/01/07:
    04/01/07:
    05/01/07:
    05/28/07:

Goal:28/05/07
    269lbs 25% bf

Originally Posted by IamCANADIANeh? View Post
    No No. I said eating before I go to the gym and lift. Not eating on a cheat day. Usually consists of the usual... grilled chicken, veggies, pasta/rice/carbs...

1) Damn you now I want that exact meal.

2) We don't have Poppa Johns here

BTW: Thanx for the quick and helpful reply guys. (Uhockey)
    Ah yes, Canada.....well, compare Poppa Johns to Pizza Pizza, Boston Pizza, or Pizza Hut.....and calorically to a whole lot of maple dips from Tim's.

Perhaps a good trip to Swiss Chalet? Or some Humpty Dumpty chips.

DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    well, as a rule of thumb, take uhockey's numbers and "convolute" them with the following factors:

1. volume of ingested food
    2. concentration of nutrients (the higher the concentration, the slower the gastric emtying)
    3. the proportion of macronutrients: fastest: carbs, slowest: fats. a meal rich in fats will have a very slow emptying rate.
    4. how well have you chewed: the less you have chewed (the larger the bites), the longer the meal will stay in stomach.
    5. stress: if you are in a hurry or if you have some heavy physical work, this will also slow down digestion.

david

hilliaryjoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Empty stomach

What about a whey or casein shake?