Sasha4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lunges , squats and deadlifts.

Hi,

Just curious to some of the more experienced ladies here, but what is the main focus of your leg training, lunges or squats? If I were to pick lunges over squats, would I be missing out? Reason I don't like squats a whole lot is it seems to put alot of pressure on my one knee (which was once injured). Or perhaps I'm just not doing squats correctly?

As well, when doing deadlifts, when first starting out is it common to have a tender lower back at first? Or am I overextending the stretch at the bottom?

Thanks.
    Stephanie

- If you don't know where you are going, you'll probably end up somewhere else

Steel Girl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    At the moment I do squats and lunges, but my personal preference is squats any day of the week.

They were uncomfortable and my knees felt like they would split until I got someone to check my form.

Same with deads really. I love them but they can be killers on the lower back if you arent used to them.

Deads and squats are good heavy compound exercises so you should expect to feel some soreness in the muscle, anything else you should get your form and yourself checked out.

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It depends on your goals really. I did squats regularly for a few years & ended up with much bigger quads & glutes. I usually squatted going up in weight as I advanced through sets to about 185lbs.

The last year I've trading in the squats for walking lunges because my legs were getting bigger than I wanted them to be. I think lunges are great also as far as toning one's legs goes.

The leg press is a good option also.
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

GOOOOO COCKS!!!!!! GOOOOO STEELERS!!!!!

Rebecca95833 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rebecca95833 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rebecca95833 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rebecca95833 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rebecca95833 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rebecca95833 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rebecca95833 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rebecca95833 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rebecca95833 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rebecca95833 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rebecca95833 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My leg program changes almost every workout (once a week). One of the staples of any of my leg routines, which I actually use unweighted as a warm up, and sometimes come back later in the program and work with weights is walking lunges.

I love dead lifts, but usually mix them alternating weeks with squats.

I always include leg extensions, and mix in at least one isolating hamstring exercise.

Lately, I've been concentrating on glutes, and have achored my leg routine with heavy Smith one-leg squats, and finish with one-leg hyper extensions.
    Rebecca

bufchk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bufchk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bufchk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bufchk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bufchk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bufchk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bufchk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bufchk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bufchk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bufchk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bufchk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I use squats for overall strength and size for legs. It will also help you strengthen and build upper body believe it or not. I do lunges for individual stability and keeping strengths pretty much even , I tend to feel more glutes with lunges and more evenness in squatting. I have an old knee injury and try wrapping your knees when you squat. It makes a HUGE difference in the strength and you allow a little time for recovery.

shellylee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

i have always heard if you want big arms you need to squat.

adriana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink on squats and lunges

i have a lower back problem which keeps me from doing squats.

i do leg presses, leg extension and leg curls, and i must say that i'm getting FANASTIC results from my glutes down.

i'm now starting walking lunges with dumbbells today and i'm sure that'll add to the excitement.

from what i understand, barring any kind of lower back or knee problem, squats are totally do-able, however they must be done correctly or else you'll put yourself in harms way every time.

ask the trainer in the gym to help you with them.

good luck,

adriana

kbfunTH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Add good morning to help strengthen the lower back and keep your head up and your shoulders back when your deadlifting. Focus on a spot up and in front of you. Don't jerk the bar off the ground, start your pull slowly. Sit back with your butt.

Laurie2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do any of you have problems performing squats flatfooted?

Even as a child, I have never been able to "hunker down" flatfooted. My heels would always raise up and I would squat on the balls of my feet. For the last four months I have been squating with 135 lbs for form and to slowly get my legs to fold lower (age 51) while building the strength. Do not have any knee problems. This I do for 20 reps 3 times. I am able to do 225 lbs for 20....just naturally strong, I guess. But I know "form" is needed to be worked on.

I am able to leg press well enough but the dynamics of squating are different. Basically trying to get far enough down to doing "Box Squats" without my heels naturally raising up. I posted something similar in the "Exercises" forum but I think the guys dont quite get it.

Too young, I guess.

Gracious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

I defenately rate the squat over lounges simply because it is more of a power movement and a compound movement, whilst lounges are more for seperation and shape.

I do however do both in my workout!!