webdrifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Has anyone used the powertec, Body-solid or Lamar chin/dip VKR machine?

I have been looking at these machines, and would like some opinions from people that have seen or used these machines. How do you like the Quality, stability, and build of the machines, and how do you like the way in which the chin bar is set up. I've noticed that it looks like the supports on some of the machines might interfere with doing chins all the way to the top. My gyme is used by several people ranging in weight of 100lbs to 250lbs so I need something that will last.

Thanks
    Randy

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I've never even seen one. But in all sincerity, why would someone want to buy a "machine" to do chin-ups and dips on?
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Big Shiny Bastard vikingsrule92's Avatar
    vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I don't think he's referring to a machine as much as their power towers.
    They all seem to be well designed and would hold the weight that you are looking at.

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by vikingsrule92 View Post
    I don't think he's referring to a machine as much as their power towers.
    They all seem to be well designed and would hold the weight that you are looking at.
    Ah, I see. I have a power tower, and love it. I bought mine at Dick's (Fitness Gear brand) and I couldn't be happier with it. One thing that's kind of weird; I can't see actually holding the outermost handles and doing a chin with them....it would rip my shoulders apart! I think any of the Ironman, BS, and many others I've seen, would all be just fine. They're really a very basic piece of equipment.
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yeah, I looked at the Lamar and better ones... $500+. Not sure if it's worth THAT much. Buy a Body solid, they're about $200 and will hold nearly any weight you put on them. Very good quality and not a bad price for a local gym. I've used and recommend it.

Originally Posted by vikingsrule92 View Post
    Yeah, I looked at the Lamar and better ones... $500+. Not sure if it's worth THAT much. Buy a Body solid, they're about $200 and will hold nearly any weight you put on them. Very good quality and not a bad price for a local gym. I've used and recommend it.
    Lil' bro, Dicks was reg priced at $139, on sale for $119, and I bargained them down (done this with them on other items as well ) to $89 (I told them I could buy them all day long on-line for this price and the guy never questioned it ).
    I weigh approx 195 and currently use 45# for dips. Trust me, even the cheapest ones out there are all you need. I only use it for weighted dips, weighted vertical knee raises, and chin ups.

But seriously, anyone would be CRAZY to pay more than $150 for one of these. I mean, c'mon....if you have a cage you can do the chins, knee raises, and buy some dip handles.....and really don't need a tower. They're just more comfy and I like the padded arm rests .

True, I'm just saying for a gym you might want to have higher quality equipment. I agree, he'll be fine with a cheap one just like I said for a gym he might want something nicer. Completely up to hm and his budget and what type of quality is necessary for his setup. However, I agree with you and I'm sure one like you have would hold any weight he needs.

Bigswole.com

Thanks for all the good information, and yes I guess I am refering to a power tower. I found the one that I really want it's the powertec vkr/chin/dip unit , it claims to have a 400lb capacity. I had been searching everywhere for the best price on it, and had found amazon.com to have what I thought was the best price at $328.00. That was until about 15 minutes ago when I happened up on this sight called http://www.bigswole.com/fqpowertecvkrchindipunit.html they have it for $286.00 with free shipping. Has anyone ever heard of bigswole.com or ever purchased anything from them? I did a BBB search and couldn't find any listings. Their web sight looks professional, but nowadays who knows.
    Randy

Looks good webdrifter. who knows about the business quality, if there's nothing on bbb.com there's probably not anything anywhere else. I guess go for it and hope nothing goes wrong.

If it were just me using the equipment I would probably consider something in the body-solid powerline equipment, but I have a buddy that works out with me that weighs 245lbs and my 15 year old stepsone already weighs over 200lbs. He's into sports, and I figure he as well as his friends will start taking more of an interest in working out.
    Randy