dmr11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmr11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmr11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmr11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Do we rely too much on technology?

Now I know that we all rely on some technology for our "lifestyle" of bodybuilding. Without some technology we would not have the good bars and weights we have which are the basis of all our workouts. But how long could we "survive in our lifestyle" if technology failed us? How many of us provide for some, if not most, of our food supply, especially the protein? Now the supplements are a whole different question. None of us could even come close to providing our own supplements. Should we, as a group, begin to step back and take a good look at how we rely on technology and how, or if, we can reduce our overdependence on technology?
    Know your enemy, so when the balloon goes up you will know who to shoot first.

You can never have too many guns nor too much ammo!

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What's so wrong with technology? As intelligent people, if technology failed us, I personally would immediately search for an alternative, as it relates to protein intake.

If you want to step back and think about it, go ahead. While you're doing that, me and millions of others will be making multiple steps forward, with or without technology.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000)
    anyone else see the irony about posting about an over reliance on technology in a chat room.

As a member of the SCA (society for creative anachronism) and a history nut I know that fitness freaks like us have been around for a long long time. Could we survive without a lot of the things we have now, absolutly. Would I want tot give up my protien powder and creatine, only when you pry them from my cold dead hands.

If you want inspiration for what we could achieve body wise without all the tech just look at Michalangelo's statue of David, or the side of almost any period Grecian Urn.

In the Old Testament there is even a reference to proper nutrition for athelets and whether or not Jewish followers could compete and stay Kosher. Spoiler alter ahead ............the kosher atheletes kicked butt.
    WWJB (what would Jesus bench)

joeohlandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeohlandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeohlandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeohlandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeohlandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeohlandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeohlandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeohlandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeohlandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeohlandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) joeohlandt is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It technology were to fail?
    Your biggest worry would not be bodybuilding, it would be survival.

Life style? Just shut off the electricity for a month and tell me what your lifestyle would be then. Not possible you say? It is possible and it would not take a war, just a determined nut or terrorist.

We are truly slaves to our technology, especially in urban areas.

Fortitude is the marshal of thought,
    the armor of the will,
    and the fort of reason.

lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000)
    PBS ran a series of documentaries from James Burke years ago called "Connections". If yo haven't seen them they may be available at your local Library. The original series was the best but there was Connections 2 and 3 as well.

Basically it shows how some inventions or discoveries were actually a series of small discoveries, often unintentional, over time. When the original series played on TV we used to have connections parties and watch the show and then discuss it.

There are some notable recent events, hurricane Katrina for one, that show how fast society reverts to animals when technology is removed and people have to find food and shelter in any way they can. It becomes survival of the fittest. You have to wonder what would happen if the rest of North America lost their Technology at the same time, there probably would be few survivors in urban areas and rural areas would have to defend their lands.

Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

IMO technology should be used to our advantage.

dmr11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmr11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmr11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmr11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The question most missed is just how dependent each of us is to "technology". How many could, or would, step back and attempt to secure your food supply with just a knife? Yes, Katrina was an example of just how dependent most of us who live in the "western" world have become on "governments" to provide for us. An additional question is, how many really want to survive if "technology" really does fail? And that failure may not be that "far off" in terms of failure. Yellowstone is above a super volcano that is some 40,000 years overdue to explode. With much of the coal being used to produce electricy in the U.S., most of the coal would become unavailable due to ash and railroad distruction. But what if the truckers just stopped driving? The average grocery store has just a two day food supply.

Technology has given us much to be thankful for, but are we now just too dependent on it?
    Know your enemy, so when the balloon goes up you will know who to shoot first.

You can never have too many guns nor too much ammo!

Bob 1 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob 1 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob 1 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob 1 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob 1 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob 1 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob 1 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob 1 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob 1 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob 1 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob 1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    This looks like a good place..

FOR SALE ALL OF MY Y2K WATER AND FOOD SUPPLIES.
    BEST OFFER WITH A TRUCK.

In answer to your question, I think we could go back to the old ways if we had to pretty quickly. Some of those pioneer genes still have to be hanging around somewhere in us.

lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Bob 1 View Post
    I think we could go back to the old ways if we had to pretty quickly. Some of those pioneer genes still have to be hanging around somewhere in us.
    I know what you are saying bob but the truth is 90% of the population couldn't saluter a chicken, pig, or deer. Of the 10% that did manage the act most probably couldn't cure the meat or make sausages. I've got enough powder and precasts to reload about 500 9mm rounds and maybe 100 rifle and 100 shotgun rounds, that's not going to last my lifetime, or maybe it would....LOL

Most of us can grow a vegetable garden but I sure can't grow enough to sustain my family for more than a couple of months and if if disaster struck tomorrow how many on this forum has a sack of each - corn, wheat, vegetable seeds in their larder. I'd hazard a guess at no one. How are you going to heat your house, it's not going to be with wood for more than a season if you live somewhere like central Missouri they burned the trees already.

I spent summers on my uncles ranch in Grand Forks when I was a kid, no running water, no hydro, no radio, no refrigeration, no nothing - including heat. They cooked on a wood stove and every Friday we had to haul and heat enough water so everyone could take a bath, you didn't want to be visitor number nine to the tub, by then the water was dirty and ice cold. They actually lived well but it was a hard life. Squash grew very well there and was the vegetable of choice, my cousin and I still gag at the sight of it.

If technology ceased tomorrow I'd be saying " Why the F did I go on this damn diet last month, I'm starving?"...

Have a good New Years Guys..

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by lukamar View Post
    I90% of the population couldn't saluter a chicken, pig, or deer.
    I can clean fish like a pro. I tried to clean a duck once, and I thought I was gonna die Cut me, beat me, throw me down, but please don't make me clean another duck
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Mark1T View Post
    I can clean fish like a pro. I tried to clean a duck once, and I thought I was gonna die Cut me, beat me, throw me down, but please don't make me clean another duck
    The trick is to dip it in really hot water right after you kill it, after that the feathers almost come off by themselves I also got a great trick to killing and skinning a rabbit.

Originally Posted by jacktheblack View Post
    I also got a great trick to killing and skinning a rabbit.
    If it's the same one we used to use you may not want to describe it in detail Jack...LOL

I'll turn everything into Haggis that way I'll only have to fend off Scots...LOL

dempo25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dempo25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dempo25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dempo25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dempo25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dempo25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dempo25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dempo25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dempo25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dempo25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dempo25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    We do depend on it too much. When my electricity goes out, I am screwed. Kinda scary.

Originally Posted by jacktheblack View Post
    The trick is to dip it in really hot water right after you kill it, after that the feathers almost come off by themselves I also got a great trick to killing and skinning a rabbit.
    Feathers 'aint the problem, Jack. The problem was that it stunk and was so gross I almost projectile hurled
    Last edited by Mark1T; 12-31-2006 at 03:53 PM.

Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000)

Talking

Originally Posted by lukamar View Post
    I'll turn everything into Haggis that way I'll only have to fend off Scots...LOL
    You don't actually believe we eat that crap, do you?

Originally Posted by Gunn27 View Post
    You don't actually believe we eat that crap, do you?
    My father had a shop that made it. They sent 4 tons a year to Scotland for Burns night..LOL I actually like the stuff, maybe it's an acquired taste. It's great fried believe it or not. I also like blood pudding. Ohh and I can make them both, but not as good as my father did.

SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

someone was messing with you when they showed yoy how to clean the duck, all you have to do whether it be duck, goose, or turkey is cut below the neck at the top of the breast and peel everything back, fillet the breasts, legs, and wings and you are done, no need to even get to the guts
    UP the IRONS!

SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Start of rant.....oh and Katrina did not show what people do or how they act when there is a disaster. There have been several times before and after where people did not act like that. All you can say is that the people who stayed against advice who were wanting to pick up their welfare checks the next day and previously made no worthwile contributions to society and then just sat around bitching instead of putting one foot in front of the other and showing a little independence acted. But who can blame them they were raised in the ultimate liberal democrats dream society created by a liberal dependency philosophy. Over the years they were naturally selected for traits of dependency, sloth, laziness, lack of responsibility, lack of achievement, lack of independence, lack of a paternal bonding, lack of work ethic, lack of intellect, lack of community responsibility, and lack of self respect. It was a mini little darwinian life lesson. Kind of like what is happpening in Europe right now. Funny how those who created the problem miss the obvious lessons from katrina. End of rant!
    Last edited by SR800; 12-31-2006 at 04:45 PM.
    UP the IRONS!

Originally Posted by SR800 View Post
    Funny how those who created the problem miss the obvious lessons from katrina.
    I don't think those who created the problem missed anything, they managed to get their checks deposited.

Start of rant.....oh and Katrina did not show what people do or how they act when there is a disaster. There have been several times before and after where people did not act like that. All you can say is that the people who stayed against advice who were wanting to pick up their welfare checks the next day and previously made no worthwile contributions to society and then just sat around bitching instead of putting one foot in front of the other and showing a little independence acted. But who can blame them they were raised in the ultimate liberal democrats dream society created by a liberal dependency philosophy. Over the years they were naturally selected for traits of dependency, sloth, laziness, lack of responsibility, lack of achievement, lack of independence, lack of a paternal bonding, lack of work ethic, lack of intellect, lack of community responsibility, and lack of self respect. It was a mini little darwinian life lesson. Kind of like what is happpening in Europe right now. Funny how those who created the problem miss the obvious lessons from katrina. End of rant!
    I lived down there for many many years. The folks down there are no differnt then anywhere else in this big old world my friend. They are hard working, funny, and as independent as any other group of folks. Yes we saw some terrible behaviour, but we also saw heroic acts. The blame and shame of what happened after Katrina is big enough to share with all those involved, including the folks who ignored warnings, and a goverment that was ill prepared to deal with such a devastating natural disaster.

someone was messing with you when they showed yoy how to clean the duck, all you have to do whether it be duck, goose, or turkey is cut below the neck at the top of the breast and peel everything back, fillet the breasts, legs, and wings and you are done, no need to even get to the guts
    NOW, you tell me!

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I tracked you down to give you happy New Year's reps, Mark, and found a thread started by a fellow Columbian. I can't rep you, however, because the system won't let me. What else is new?

To the thread starter. I'm sure you'd be surprised at how resourceful people would be if they absolutely had to provide for themselves, sans technology. However, since we don't -- thank God for the Fresh Market.

As an aside, I have often wondered how ugly I would be if I lived during a time period with no electricity for my hairdryer, or *gasp* no makeup.
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

GOOOOO COCKS!!!!!! GOOOOO STEELERS!!!!!

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The problem with technology is that we become to dependent on it.

Anyone here (I'm sure all of you have) had their PC systems crash at work? In some businesses this is an ugly thing, as little work can be done without a PC. You kinda feel stupid when a piece of electronic equipment can single handedly destroy your day. When I worked for an airline there were a few times where Flight Control's systems crashed (and the back up didn't work)...which meant no dispatches (weather, flight plans etc..) could be retrieved...which meant no planes taking off....which meant hundreds of thousands of people's lives altered. Ugly, indeed.
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."