agonoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I don't know if I'm doing the right thing for two months now

I'm about to take seriously weight lifting. I want to gain mass/muscle up to a spot that it's well formed, I'm short, about 5'3'', weighs 110-115lbs(about in that range)

During the first two months up to now, I only do 3 sets per exercise, adding 2.5-5lbs of weight after each set. I do 12 reps each set. A highschool friend of mine recommended me to do that (12 reps, 3 sets per exercise). And btw, I only workout twice a week though, sat and sun since my schedule is somewhat overloaded.

I followed his advice because I thought he knows weight lifting pretty well (he has a great built now compared to his skinny days during our high school days)

I have seen some gains now, but I don't know if there would be a more effective way to train rather than following this 3sets 12 reps per exercise.
    I can only workout twice in a week. Thrice if I include cardio on tuesdays, that's the best I can do.

I recall someone telling me that if I want to see some improvements, I should AT LEAST workout THRICE a week, is this totally true? If it is, that sucks since I could really workout for 2days max.

This is my schedule by the way (couldn't really call it a split)

sat- chest/triceps/abs
    sun - shoulders/back/biceps/legs

I could really use some of your help guys, thanks!
    Last edited by agonoy; 12-31-2006 at 12:03 AM.

C'mon guys, anyone?

Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Since you only have two days, I believe you should focus on compound movements using moderate-heavy weight (4-8 reps). An example may be something like this:

Sat.
    Bench Press....................3 x 4-6
    Barbell Rows....................3 x 4-6
    Incline Press....................3 x 6-8
    Pullups...........................3 x 6-8
    Triceps Extensions...........2 x 8-12
    Barbell Curls....................2 x 8-10

Sun.
    Squats/Deadlifts*........................4 x 4-6
    SLDL/Squat Variant*....................3 x 6-8
    Leg Extensions/Lunges..................3 x 10-12
    Leg Curls....................................3 x 10-12

*I would alternate these exercises weekly instead of doing heavy squats and deadlifts on the same day.

Also, you need to add an overhead pressing movement. I would do it on Sunday, bu many people would disagree with that.

What do you do that prohibits you from working out during the week?
    Here Lies the Rant
    2005 - 2015

Negs from 1938-1945

-lenco

Above anything else, I'd like to thank you so much for a very helpful reply!
    What prohibits me is the big load of schedule/works in college, that's all.

And another follow-up question, what would be the best speed for my cardio (treadmill) and for how long? I want to gain mass but also want to shed off excess fats (especially in my cheeks, I'm getting more chubby)

nyamwegi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't mean to doubt your schedule in any way or how busy you are, but I'm in college, taking fifteen hours, and I also work every day after class for about five hours. I still make time to get to the gym about an hour a day and six days a week. No B.S. My day starts at 6 and it's not always easy but I have just made it happen. Hopefully that doesn't sound all "hey look at me" but I just want to encourage you to assess your priorities and make changes if it's what you really want. Working out is always better than not, but bodybuilding is something that takes more than two days a week.

That's alright, no offense taken. It's just that I have a couple of 7am-7pm sched, one half day (7-12 on saturdays), and others 7-5. So I really need the remaining time for study, rest etc.

bump for my question

And another follow-up question, what would be the best speed for my cardio (treadmill) and for how long? I want to gain mass but also want to shed off excess fats (especially in my cheeks, I'm getting more chubby)